The Daily for Wednesday Mar 17, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy St. Patrick's Day every one - whether you're Irish or not, I'm sure the world will be awash in green and leprechauns.

Today I get to drive DH to get his first Covid jab - yay!  My age group hasn't come up yet, but hopefully maybe next week I'll be able to schedule my appointment.

On another note, thanks @rafinmd for putting our friend on the prayer list; sadly, he passed away yesterday.  We are comforted by the fact that the hospital allowed his wife to be by his side, holding his hand as he departed this realm.  

St. Patrick's Day dinner at our house has never been the corned beef & cabbage dish, as I really don't care for corned beef.  Instead, for the past 40+ years, I've made what I call Leprechaun Pie - actually cheeseburger pie, but hey, what do kids know, right?  It was always served with green milk (a little food colouring goes a long way), and the meal ended with pistachio ice cream.  The tradition will continue tonight with green beer being substituted for the milk for DH.  And wine.  For me.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers going to a friend of ours who is going for a lung biopsy after being diagnosed with the dreaded "C" word.  Raising the wine (and beer) glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Speaking of masks, I have to share a photo of the cutest little 3-D style masks I made for a friend of ours (who is like a daughter to us) for her twins who turned 3 yesterday.  image.png.6d7e3276904f5c40a660cb60f371c705.png

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 35

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Hapoy St Patrick’s Day . I’m wearing my shirt from the Cliffs of Moher. 
           Not a fan of corned beef  but I do have a bottle of Baileys in the fridge 😀

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 20

We stopped in Busan on March 28, 2012,  while cruising from Singapore to Beijing followed by an 8-day cruisetour (Diamond Princess).

We were greeted by this beautiful troupe of dancers.

DSC02683.thumb.jpg.5ff51433f9bae051cc4e1672e995aed1.jpg

We took a ship tour of the city and one stop was a sculpture garden.  They had sculptures of each of the birth year symbols.  

DSC02751.thumb.jpg.15eb8a5f93741b77985886a237623805.jpg

We were born in the year of the dog. 

IMG_0486.thumb.jpg.7d2aa47ae5a16c46ae80d557d1dd4921.jpg

As we prepared for sailaway, a different troupe entertained us.

DSC02769.thumb.jpg.18c17c64c8f125d4c7830a8a8a090e10.jpg

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 26

49 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Happy St. Patrick's Day every one - whether you're Irish or not, I'm sure the world will be awash in green and leprechauns.

Today I get to drive DH to get his first Covid jab - yay!  My age group hasn't come up yet, but hopefully maybe next week I'll be able to schedule my appointment.

On another note, thanks @rafinmd for putting our friend on the prayer list; sadly, he passed away yesterday.  We are comforted by the fact that the hospital allowed his wife to be by his side, holding his hand as he departed this realm.  

St. Patrick's Day dinner at our house has never been the corned beef & cabbage dish, as I really don't care for corned beef.  Instead, for the past 40+ years, I've made what I call Leprechaun Pie - actually cheeseburger pie, but hey, what do kids know, right?  It was always served with green milk (a little food colouring goes a long way), and the meal ended with pistachio ice cream.  The tradition will continue tonight with green beer being substituted for the milk for DH.  And wine.  For me.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers going to a friend of ours who is going for a lung biopsy after being diagnosed with the dreaded "C" word.  Raising the wine (and beer) glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Speaking of masks, I have to share a photo of the cutest little 3-D style masks I made for a friend of ours (who is like a daughter to us) for her twins who turned 3 yesterday.  image.png.6d7e3276904f5c40a660cb60f371c705.png

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Hugs Gerry! And prayers for your friend, his family and you! Hope your other friend’s biopsy is clear.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I'll pass on the corned beef and cabbage, it may be take-out tonight.  I first thought boat for submarine because DH was stationed on a submarine tender during his Navy days.  I really expected to see Dublin for our port of the day today 😃 ..saves me from digging through photos, lol, never have been to Busan (or Asia).

DH is half Irish and his home town is Savannah -- you all know about Savannah and St. Patrick's Day.  No parade for 2 years now, but it hasn't stopped tourists from filling the hotels (and streets, I'm sure).  I know my in-laws are going to avoid it, they've all been so Covid careful all this time.  

Today we'll be going to see the grandsons and DD for our weekly visit.  This time I'm bringing cupcakes with green frosting and sprinkles (and Bailey's for DD and DSIL) 😉  I'm sure the boys will be wearing some of the shirts we've picked up for them in Ireland, our last visit was 18 months ago on our last cruise.

@StLouisCruiserscongratulations to your DD getting her 2nd jab today!  

@ger_77Prayers that your friend's biopsy comes back all clear, and my sincere sympathies on the loss of your friend.

@Mary229prayers for your brother as he faces open heart surgery tomorrow.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I  am  so  sorry  to  hear  about  your  friend  who  died  yesterday. I  am  glad  his  wife  was  able  to  be  with  him. Prayers  for  your  friend undergoing  the  lung  biopsy.        Terry

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Happy St  Patrick's Day! Our  VERY Irish  neighborhood  remains  somewhat  subdued  even  though  the  governor  opened  up  indoor  dining  a  little  more. Most  of  us  are  in  the  "older  " range  and  have  to  remain  cautious  as  our  numbers  are  increasing  again. I  will  continue  takeout once in  a  while.

I  saw  submarine  day  and  had  to  laugh  because  sandwiches  here  are  "wedges",not  subs  or  grinders  like  Connecticut. It  is  peculiar,I  know.

We  are  not  cabbage  fans  here  so  I  will  make  a  nice  Irish  stew. Thanks  for  the  recipe. I  know  a  husband  who  will  eat  that  happily.

Terry

• Like 17

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to everyone!

We will likely hold off on a celebratory dinner until the weekend so the kids can come by. I'm not quite sure what we will make yet since I need to have vegetarian dishes for Niall's SO. 

We have never cruised to Korea, or anywhere in Asia, but I did have a couple of business trips to Seoul. I can't seem to find the pictures at the moment. I do remember driving up to Paju to visit LG and looking out across the border into North Korea. It was a very desolate view!

So here is something more pleasant from a different business trip; the old Heidelberg bridge across the Neckar river looking towards the city gates and the Palace ruins - 

P6260459.thumb.JPG.ef85bce0d1a005c7002bd29ed05ae150.JPGP6260456.thumb.JPG.9522c3a6ae72517eaec27514e45876ab.JPG

• Like 23

image.thumb.jpeg.0905122d0f0950047fa33f184044705f.jpeg
🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

TOP OF THE MORNING TO ALL!🍀🍀

I AM NOT A FAN OF CORN BEEF AND CABBAGE SO TODAY I AM CELEBRATING 

WITH  BOUILLABAISSE.  HEADING OUT NOW TO MY LOCAL FISH MARKET.

🌺WELL OUR COUNTY HAS MOVED INTO THE RED TIER TODAY. NOW RESTAURANTS CAN HAVE 25% CAPACITY INSIDE. OUR PADRES AT PETCO PARK WILL BE ABLE TO LIMIT 

CAPACITY OF PATRONS APRIL 1ST.

OUR ICU’S ARE WAY DOWN AND CASES VERY LOW. I PRAY IT STAYS LIKE THIS AND HOPE FOR ALL OF US THIS TERRIBLE PANDEMIC WILL END! GOD WILLING!

🌺SUMMER! ICK, ICK, ICK ON 😳SOURTOE!!!  I THINK OF A DIRTY TOENAIL! LOL

🌺Debbie, I MIGHT MAKE THIS SOMETIME AND TWEAK THE RECIPE ALITTLE! 
🌺🌺TO MY FELLOW DAILYITES 

🍀ger-77 I am so sorry for your loss of your dear friend.

🍀mary229 Prayers heading your way for your brother’s surgery! Hugs

Denise😊

PS ❤️❤️❤️ Goes out to my sisters 

Ann and Joy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and Happy St. Patrick's Day, all!  (This was sent to me by Mrs. @sailingdutchy) -IMG_8440.jpeg.d30b11544bfe77d886959444ec6c6101.jpeg

Pat calls him the patron saint of vaccinations, as we are going to get our first jabs after lunch.  We are not drinking for a few days before and after, don't want to dilute the vaccine.  There was a story going around that not many Russians were getting vaccinated, as they had been told no vodka for 30 days before or after!   We are not going to that extreme, but we also stopped taking zinc a couple of weeks ago.

It is unfortunate that this pandemic just will not let go!  So much sadness.  I do pray for all those suffering, and those whose suffering has ended.  We attended a friend's funeral on Youtube on Saturday.  Very strange.  Have too wonder if things will ever go back to normal.

• Like 25

Good Morning All,

And Happy St Patrick’s Day. I’ve got lots of Irish in me from my Dad’s side. Had a great Aunt who was very Irish. We loved her sense of humor. She had something like 7 names in her full name!

We have another beautiful day here. DH has to go into the office (second time since before Thanksgiving) so I plan to finish up my eBay listings. The newly cleaned garage is set up as my temporary photo studio. Made an extra pizza last night, so dinner is set. Salad will come from our remaining 2 plants that have not yet bolted. 

22A87E70-EFC3-47DE-8421-4A75C263F57C.jpeg.3225605987a34b5299cf94cf605c49af.jpeg

@rafinmd and @VMax1700 Your references to lamb are getting to me, so I’ll have to start scouting around the stores for some. Being it’s spring, I should be successful without having to find a Middle Eastern grocery- our local one closed down. ( Though I would enjoy that adventure too.)

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Good morning, all! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! We actually had corned beef last night, so I’m still a day ahead here. I have the ingredients for cheeseburger soup, but DH has his heart set on opening up the BBQ for the season and making cheeseburgers on the grill. I don’t think he’d be pleased to find all his ingredients cooking away in a soup,pot.

A year ago today we celebrated St.Patrick’s Day with Irish Tenors and a party on the Amsterdam in the Indian Ocean. One of the tenors joked we were at one of the biggest St. Paddy’s Day celebrations on the planet that day. None of the ports may have wanted us, but we got to celebrate the day in style safely when they couldn’t. So there.😉

@ger_77my condolences on your friend passing. I am so sorry to hear that. I’m pleased your DH is getting his jab. That is very good news!

For all, stay safe, and Happy Wednesday, from our blue hulled beauties wherever they may be.

64F2D4DE-37A3-4215-8581-49F01391F4E6.thumb.jpeg.c41faf49bf7156254cd054f6525cbf4f.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

☘️ 🍺 HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY 🍺 ☘️

Good morning from a sunny and finally non-windy southwestern Arizona.   We have been to Dawson City several times in our motorhome, but have not partaken of the drink of the day.  Actually,, I don't remember seeing anyone order it.

Tonight we'll be having corned beef and cabbage with lots of potatoes for DH and carrots for me.  As usual, I'll cook it in the pressure, but for a long time to tenderize it.

We were in Busan in 2000, the year the name changed, but I think Princess still listed the port as Pusan.  The name change from Pusan name to the Korean Budan was largely due to the sound of Pusan to the Korean ear.  To them Pusan was harsh and sounded like gibberish.  Unless, DH has pictures on his computer (he had a digital camera then), all the pictures are the old fashioned ones and are in an album in Texas.

My sharpest memory from that day was visiting the United Nations Memorial Cemetery where 2300 soldiers from the Korean War are buried.  It is the only UN cemetery in the world, and is laid out in 22 sites designated by the country of the nationality of those buried in that section.  We visited the British section on our tour. 

@dfish Glad the appliances arrived in a timely manner and all fit.  I think I'll try the soup recipe when it's a little cooler.  Like you, I was surprised it was the meal suggestion today.

@VMax1700 Hope Ireland's covid numbers go down soon. We've been to Cobh and Cork several times, and usually rent (hire) a car for the day.  It is a beautiful area to tour.

@ger_77 Sorry for your friend's death, but glad his wife was with him.  Hope your other friend's  biopsy doesn't reveal any nasty surprises.  Dealing with the "C" word is bad enough.  Glad your DH is getting his shot.  With you driving him, maybe they will give you one too.  Where we got our shots, only one person in the car had to have an appointment, but the rest could get the shot.

@Mary229  All the best to your brother for a successful surgery and a speedy and complete recovery.

@StLouisCruisers That was nice of the school district to give your DD and the other teachers two days off for the shot.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18