UK Only Viking Venus Cruise

NeilP57

8 hours ago, Glenndale said:

We would have been happy to join you but it sounds as if that won’t be possible 😉

We would have loved to have you join us but unfortunately it looks like we will all be on on own . Never mind , I am sure it still will be fun.

Someone on the ‘other’ site just posted what happened regarding the people who were asked to leave the Viking Venus ship. I can’t verify their account, but they said it was a couple who had self isolated for 10 days , they were both fully vaccinated, and had had negative lateral flow tests, however the lady had an inconclusive ‘spit’ test. She was asked to do another and got the same result so they were both asked to leave the ship and drive home, both had been drinking throughout the day.  I can’t vouch for this post, but it was swiftly removed from the site as it was deemed to have breached the groups rules!!!!!  

55 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

Just spotted Venus is off the west coast of Scotland today near the Inner Hebrides.  Where is it going?  Scotland isn’t allowing cruise ships at present.  

It's a cruise that was arrange to fill a week's gap in a series of 'English Scenic Shores' cruises. The cruise starts and ends in Portsmouth, stops in Liverpool and Portland and cruises the seas around Scotland for one or two days without docking anywhere.

J an D, thanks for the reply.   I didn’t spot there was a different one, I thought they were all England’s Scenic shores. This one appears to be Scenic British Isles.   Was it because one or more of the ports couldn’t accommodate them or just to offer an alternative?     Perhaps someone might have done a B2B just to celebrate being back on board!  
I hope all on board are enjoying the cruise.  

3 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

J an D, thanks for the reply.   I didn’t spot there was a different one, I thought they were all England’s Scenic shores. This one appears to be Scenic British Isles.   Was it because one or more of the ports couldn’t accommodate them or just to offer an alternative?     Perhaps someone might have done a B2B just to celebrate being back on board!  
I hope all on board are enjoying the cruise.  

I think several people may have done a B2B. We were on the previous cruise which docked in Portsmouth last Saturday. While on board we heard that they were offering some excellent deals for anyone wishing to stay aboard and do the B2B. Unfortunately we had commitments this week otherwise we would have been sorely tempted

4 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

Was it because one or more of the ports couldn’t accommodate them or just to offer an alternative?

I think that Viking gradually extended their programme of UK cruises. They started with three iterations of the England's Scenic Shores, which they contacted past customers about before promoting them on the open market. Then they added another couple of these cruise, with a week gap after the first three. I reckon when it looked like the cruises would run without too many snags they quickly added this week's cruise as a filler.

We were on the second of the first three cruises and had a great time. The offer to come back on board a week after we got home was tempting (and the prices were very good) but we decide to give it a miss and keep our fingers crossed that our next Viking cruise in November will go ahead. Not sure why they changed the itinerary - clearly saving the port fees for two fewer destinations and not providing inclusive excursions there would have reduced the costs.

By the way, I got the ports wrong on my previous post - this week's cruise is stopping at Liverpool and Falmouth.

David

Edited by Janet&David

Hi folks,

Are you able to confirm what Viking required as to Vaccination status?

We are on the 31/7 departure to Iceland and we assume that the NHS App Covid pass will be sufficient but just wanted to check what was required on the UK Welcome Back cruises and when it was first checked.

Neil

14 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Hi folks,

We are on the 31/7 departure to Iceland and we assume that the NHS App Covid pass will be sufficient but just wanted to check what was required on the UK Welcome Back cruises and when it was first checked.

Neil

Folks on the first Iceland cruises were directed to use the Verifly app. I have gone ahead and uploaded my information and received a “ready to travel” status.  

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Folks on the first Iceland cruises were directed to use the Verifly app. I have gone ahead and uploaded my information and received a “ready to travel” status.  

Hi Clay, thanks for the answer but I was trying to find out what Viking used on its UK cruises to satisfy itself that its UK passengers had been vaccinated.  There would have been no associated air travel for passengers on these cruises so Verifly would not have been used. 

It is likely to have been either the NHS App which is working well in England (not sure about rest of the UK) or some form of self declaration. 

I was looking for guidance from them so I could read across what Viking is likely to do in Iceland when arrive there on July 31. So plenty of time for it to develop. 

45 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

We showed our vaccination status on our NHS app.

Dates of vaccination were recorded.

34 minutes ago, cruisinchrissy said:

We showed our little cards that we were given after vaccination. Here in Wales,  we don’t have the NHS app yet. 

Many thanks, as expected.

Neil

4 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Hi Clay, thanks for the answer but I was trying to find out what Viking used on its UK cruises to satisfy itself that its UK passengers had been vaccinated.  There would have been no associated air travel for passengers on these cruises so Verifly would not have been used. 

It is likely to have been either the NHS App which is working well in England (not sure about rest of the UK) or some form of self declaration. 

I was looking for guidance from them so I could read across what Viking is likely to do in Iceland when arrive there on July 31. So plenty of time for it to develop. 

Understand but we aren’t using it to fly. Viking is having us do it for them. 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, NeilP57 said:

Hi folks,

Neil

Hi Neil

We had the NHS app ready on our phones but just showed the little cards - it seemed quicker and easier. 

David

Edited by Janet&David
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:31 PM, MikeD1000 said:

Thank you so much pcolmer that was so helpful. One query did the men wear jackets in the evening?

We sailed on the Venus on 29 May. I wore a jacket 2 or 3 times but that was personal choice and not necessary. I would say about 15% of men wore a jacket. Nearly everyone looked smart in the evening.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, cruisinchrissy said:

We showed our little cards that we were given after vaccination. Here in Wales,  we don’t have the NHS app yet. 

Glad that worked for you but very surprised. Those cards can easily be forged. 

We have something booked up and taking the troops with us. We all have the NHS on phones and all vaccine status is there and all is dandy.... apart from one of the boys.... His shows CID7021 error which suggests go to the GPs and get them to authorise access to the surgery data. We are now running around in circles. Several emails to the NHS support and to the GPs. They have granted access - but its still not working. Luckily there is a telephone solution.

England   https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/    number to call is 119

Wales https://gov.wales/get-nhs-covid-pass-show-your-vaccination-status-travel   0300 303 5667

Scotland https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid19status    number to call is 0808 196 8565

I rang them (119) and the NHS DOES have access to his data, so no idea what is wrong.

Hope that helps

On 6/21/2021 at 10:12 PM, NeilP57 said:

Hi folks,

Neil

Some Countries...Malta for example are not accepting the NHS app, or the print out with the Qcode on, they are only accepting an official letter from the NHS, which you can apply for, but takes about 5 days to receive.  To be Belt and Braces, I would get one, just in case.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, les37b said:

Glad that worked for you but very surprised. Those cards can easily be forged. 

We have something booked up and taking the troops with us. We all have the NHS on phones and all vaccine status is there and all is dandy.... apart from one of the boys.... His shows CID7021 error which suggests go to the GPs and get them to authorise access to the surgery data. We are now running around in circles. Several emails to the NHS support and to the GPs. They have granted access - but its still not working. Luckily there is a telephone solution.

England   https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/    number to call is 119

Wales https://gov.wales/get-nhs-covid-pass-show-your-vaccination-status-travel   0300 303 5667

Scotland https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid19status    number to call is 0808 196 8565

I rang them (119) and the NHS DOES have access to his data, so no idea what is wrong.

Hope that helps

The little cards were accepted to board the Viking Venus UK cruise. We have got the NHS official certificate now for entering Malta. In fact, it’s probably prudent to take cards, certificate and printed out NHS QR code .

I always like to err on the side of caution !

14 hours ago, JessM66 said:

Some Countries...Malta for example are not accepting the NHS app, or the print out with the Qcode on, they are only accepting an official letter from the NHS, which you can apply for, but takes about 5 days to receive.  To be Belt and Braces, I would get one, just in case.

Thank you, that’s really helpful to know.  We’ve booked to cruise from Malta in September, so I’ve requested my letter now.  

• Like 1