We're Getting Closer!

fkfad

Thanks for that  - interesting that problems for crew must be solved before they can even think about passengers.  And HAL has paused (read cancelled) Alaska cruises out of Seattle.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/alaska/holland-america-line-pauses-all-alaska-cruises-sailing-roundtrip-from-seattle-scheduled-to-depart-in-june-2021/
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Thanks for that  - interesting that problems for crew must be solved before they can even think about passengers.  And HAL has paused (read cancelled) Alaska cruises out of Seattle.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/alaska/holland-america-line-pauses-all-alaska-cruises-sailing-roundtrip-from-seattle-scheduled-to-depart-in-june-2021/

I think that is the biggest hurdle as I bet the next step is to say passengers need to be vaccinated.   The crew tends to be from poorer countries where vaccinations are more problematic 

Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations. We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves.

i’m not sure what the CDC is doing at this point to get passengers back on ships. What will be ‘enough’ information for the CDC if they are not providing guidance to the cruise lines. 

1 minute ago, kazu said:

It sounds complicated and problematic for the crew and the cruise lines but it is a step forward.

I have got to wonder if that plan wasn’t done by input from the cruise lines. They are going to need to crew up at least a month before sailing with passengers anyway.  It probably serves their needs and concerns as well as the CDC’s

• Like 1

I want to add a policy of sailing with only vaccinated passengers serves so many goals

1. Public relations

2. ease and convenience of determining who will be eligible

3. more relaxed onboard experience 

and finally and perhaps most importantly 

4. it supports the CDC’s goal of getting people vaccinated 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I want to add a policy of sailing with only vaccinated passengers serves so many goals

1. Public relations

2. ease and convenience of determining who will be eligible

3. more relaxed onboard experience 

and finally and perhaps most importantly 

4. it supports the CDC’s goal of getting people vaccinated 

Completely agree with you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations. We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves.

i’m not sure what the CDC is doing at this point to get passengers back on ships. What will be ‘enough’ information for the CDC if they are not providing guidance to the cruise lines. 

They are providing guidance. Have been for quite a while. Things like increasing medical capacity, training and staff. Requiring agreements with ports for how to deal with newly sick people on board. Additional training and cleaning requirements and procedures. 

There will be conflict will also around the huge demand by many here that all crew and passengers be vaccinated. Simply put, that is going to take awhile. Makes this summer's sailings unlikely, whether or not the demand for a PVSA waiver ever comes about.