Jump to content

The Daily for Thursday Mar 18, 2021


Recommended Posts

Here is my best, repeatable Awkward Moment Day story: 

Several years ago, Hudson’s Bay Company had a terrific luggage sale right after we booked a 28 Asian cruise on the Volendam. We got an amazing deal on a full matching set each. As DH was paying for it, I stepped back from the counter to give him more space. I stepped backwards directly into a mannequin displaying very elegant men’s smart casual attire. It rocked backward. In an attempt to limit the disaster, I grabbed it by the upper arms before it could topple into the neatly arranged luggage display behind it. I jerked the mannequin back into its original position and was very pleased with my narrow escape.
As I stood there with my nose against its chest, still tightly gripping the arms, it slowly dawned on me that the arms were much softer than the sweater under my fingers could account for. I looked up into the frozen, shocked gaze of the tall young man I had just attacked. To the day they closed, I could never pass that particular store without wincing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As I stood there with my nose against its chest, still tightly gripping the arms, it slowly dawned on me that the arms were much softer than the sweater under my fingers could account for. I looked up into the frozen, shocked gaze of the tall young man I had just attacked. To the day they closed, I could never pass that particular store without wincing.

AT least you saved him from falling; and probably made his day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to Belize City twice, in 2007 on a Blount Caribbean Cruise (embark/debark Belize City) and on Crystal Symphony in 2013 as a little filler cruise between a Symphony cruise NY to Florida and my Prinsendam Amazon Explorer cruise.  It's a long tender ride, on Belize based large boats.  My tour was to an animal sanctuary.  A couple of the animals were a hairy owl:

 

hairyowl.jpg

 

And a tapir (relative of hippo):

tapir.jpg

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

AT least you saved him from falling; and probably made his day.

Or saved him from stepping back from this woman who bumped into him. Although he would have stepped back into the luggage display, so I did him a favour after all. 
 I’m not sure stammering ‘I’m so sorry, I thought you were a dummy.’ helped much, either. On the other hand, he has a great story to tell, so that’s a plus.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Or saved him from stepping back from this woman who bumped into him. Although he would have stepped back into the luggage display, so I did him a favour after all. 
 I’m not sure stammering ‘I’m so sorry, I thought you were a dummy.’ helped much, either. On the other hand, he has a great story to tell, so that’s a plus.


But Laura, he got to see the look on your face, when you realized. 
 

He really does have a great story to tell. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother went in at 8:30 this morning and is recovering in ICU at 2:30 this afternoon.  They will allow my mother to visit this evening.  His wife is at his side.  The doctors are very optimistic of his speedy recovery.  Thank you for your prayers, we appreciate it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

DH just reminded me that we do use biodiesel in the motorhome.  Most stations, especially in Texas have 5-20% biodiesel in their diesel.

 

We will be having chicken tonight, but not the meal suggestion.  Instead, it will be fajita stuffed chicken rollups cooked in the air fryer plus all the fajita fixings.

 

Things are looking up for the DDs and their guys.  The youngest DD has an appointment Monday for her first Pfizer shot, and her SO got his first shot yesterday, just not sure which vaccine.  DSIL got his shot last week, the J&J, so he’s one and done.  The other DD still needs an appointment, which hopefully won’t be long.  Can’t wait to see them when we’re all vaccinated and are comfortable getting together.

 

Lenda

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My brother went in at 8:30 this morning and is recovering in ICU at 2:30 this afternoon.  They will allow my mother to visit this evening.  His wife is at his side.  The doctors are very optimistic of his speedy recovery.  Thank you for your prayers, we appreciate it.  

 

Oh that is so good to hear 👍 

 

So glad they are letting the loved ones visit him and be with him.  That will help a lot.  Prayers continue so that he has a very speedy recovery 🙏🏻 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We've been to Belize four times -- three tendering into Belize City and the fourth docking at NCL's new private island on its opening day. On the first trip we did a ship's tour to Mayan ruins, on the next two we did a tube float through a cave. On the second of those trips we grossed out our friends by sampling termites from one of the nests near the river, and also trying a dish served to Queen Elizabeth  in 1985 --  "the Queen's rat" - a large rodent named a gibnut (also known as a paca). Tasted "just like chicken" - lol!

Our last trip was on the first ship to stop at NCL's new private island. Despite all the fuss, we were underwhelmed!

Edited by NextOne
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I have been to Belize City twice, in 2007 on a Blount Caribbean Cruise (embark/debark Belize City) and on Crystal Symphony in 2013 as a little filler cruise between a Symphony cruise NY to Florida and my Prinsendam Amazon Explorer cruise.  It's a long tender ride, on Belize based large boats.  My tour was to an animal sanctuary.  A couple of the animals were a hairy owl:

 

hairyowl.jpg

 

And a tapir (relative of hippo):

tapir.jpg

 

Roy

Was that the Belize Zoo?  If so, it was started by a woman from Maryland to preserve the indigenous animals of Belize. A neat place!

Edited by NextOne
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Was that the Belize Zoo?  If so, it was started by a woman from Maryland to preserve the indigenous creatures of Belize. A neat place!

Sure was.

 

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mtn2Sea we were on that same staircase (if you can call it that), and surprised that people weren't falling going up or down!  

 

My awkward moment came while we were in Barcelona on a small group city tour.  We stopped at a nearby hotel and picked up 2 couples, one where the woman was obviously 7 or 8 months pregnant.  We exchanged pleasantries and that was it, but she was quite grouchy through the whole tour.  Near the end when we were at Parc Guell and were climbing the steps to the top, her husband sprinted up, leaving her (and the rest of us) in the dust.  A few of us stopped midway to catch our breath and take some pictures, when I asked the young mom-to-be how she was doing?  She said fine, so I replied,    "You're doing well considering you're sweating for 2."  She looked at me and said "What?  I'm not pregnant!"  To which I quickly replied "I didn't say you were, I said you're sweating for 2 - just look at your husband, he's barely got a sheen on his lip!"  And then I got out of there as fast as I could.  Lesson learned; never assume anything.  LOL  

 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@Mtn2Sea we were on that same staircase (if you can call it that), and surprised that people weren't falling going up or down!  

 

My awkward moment came while we were in Barcelona on a small group city tour.  We stopped at a nearby hotel and picked up 2 couples, one where the woman was obviously 7 or 8 months pregnant.  We exchanged pleasantries and that was it, but she was quite grouchy through the whole tour.  Near the end when we were at Parc Guell and were climbing the steps to the top, her husband sprinted up, leaving her (and the rest of us) in the dust.  A few of us stopped midway to catch our breath and take some pictures, when I asked the young mom-to-be how she was doing?  She said fine, so I replied,    "You're doing well considering you're sweating for 2."  She looked at me and said "What?  I'm not pregnant!"  To which I quickly replied "I didn't say you were, I said you're sweating for 2 - just look at your husband, he's barely got a sheen on his lip!"  And then I got out of there as fast as I could.  Lesson learned; never assume anything.  LOL  

 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry


 

Oooh, Gerry - you are GOOD!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

My brother went in at 8:30 this morning and is recovering in ICU at 2:30 this afternoon.  They will allow my mother to visit this evening.  His wife is at his side.  The doctors are very optimistic of his speedy recovery.  Thank you for your prayers, we appreciate it.  

 
That is really good news.  So nice his wife is with him and that your mother can visit tonight.

 

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@Mtn2Sea we were on that same staircase (if you can call it that), and surprised that people weren't falling going up or down!  

 

My awkward moment came while we were in Barcelona on a small group city tour.  We stopped at a nearby hotel and picked up 2 couples, one where the woman was obviously 7 or 8 months pregnant.  We exchanged pleasantries and that was it, but she was quite grouchy through the whole tour.  Near the end when we were at Parc Guell and were climbing the steps to the top, her husband sprinted up, leaving her (and the rest of us) in the dust.  A few of us stopped midway to catch our breath and take some pictures, when I asked the young mom-to-be how she was doing?  She said fine, so I replied,    "You're doing well considering you're sweating for 2."  She looked at me and said "What?  I'm not pregnant!"  To which I quickly replied "I didn't say you were, I said you're sweating for 2 - just look at your husband, he's barely got a sheen on his lip!"  And then I got out of there as fast as I could.  Lesson learned; never assume anything.  LOL  

 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Gerry, that really was quick thinking on your part.

 

Lenda 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Some pictures of Eurodam just crossed my FB feed.  At Damien Shipyard in Brest, Bretagne.

image.thumb.png.032e41ce7e8239ccb8fd39ff8d10fd69.png

 

image.thumb.png.1aea8a8f5f7ede08b615403d7a2484f5.png

 

Thanks!  Brest is a fabulous port, too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

@Mtn2Sea we were on that same staircase (if you can call it that), and surprised that people weren't falling going up or down!  

 

My awkward moment came while we were in Barcelona on a small group city tour.  We stopped at a nearby hotel and picked up 2 couples, one where the woman was obviously 7 or 8 months pregnant.  We exchanged pleasantries and that was it, but she was quite grouchy through the whole tour.  Near the end when we were at Parc Guell and were climbing the steps to the top, her husband sprinted up, leaving her (and the rest of us) in the dust.  A few of us stopped midway to catch our breath and take some pictures, when I asked the young mom-to-be how she was doing?  She said fine, so I replied,    "You're doing well considering you're sweating for 2."  She looked at me and said "What?  I'm not pregnant!"  To which I quickly replied "I didn't say you were, I said you're sweating for 2 - just look at your husband, he's barely got a sheen on his lip!"  And then I got out of there as fast as I could.  Lesson learned; never assume anything.  LOL  

 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

 

Oh that is absolutely too funny 😄 😂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kazu's tale of ice grippers and ice picks to clean up after the dogs shows that we're warming up in the midwest before she is. The snow at my county park has melted and revealed every last thing the dogs and deer left behind throughout the winter.

 

If you are not enjoying leftover corn beef and cabbage tonight, you did not cook enough last night.

 

The random song playing on my iPod when I turned off the car: Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cat shepard said:


 

Katherine, these people are experts! I may have felt my first jab, not sure.
 

Make sure you relax your arm. It will help manage any soreness you might feel.  They should tell you, but they might forget. 

Thanks,  I will try.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Here is my best, repeatable Awkward Moment Day story: 

Several years ago, Hudson’s Bay Company had a terrific luggage sale right after we booked a 28 Asian cruise on the Volendam. We got an amazing deal on a full matching set each. As DH was paying for it, I stepped back from the counter to give him more space. I stepped backwards directly into a mannequin displaying very elegant men’s smart casual attire. It rocked backward. In an attempt to limit the disaster, I grabbed it by the upper arms before it could topple into the neatly arranged luggage display behind it. I jerked the mannequin back into its original position and was very pleased with my narrow escape.
As I stood there with my nose against its chest, still tightly gripping the arms, it slowly dawned on me that the arms were much softer than the sweater under my fingers could account for. I looked up into the frozen, shocked gaze of the tall young man I had just attacked. To the day they closed, I could never pass that particular store without wincing.

I could not stop laughing 🤣 at this. Thanks for brightening my afternoon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

As stated, there is a large European - read German - influence in Qingdao, especially visible in some of the buildings and churches. Germany came in late to the practice of colonization but they had their eyes set on China as early as the 1860’s. It wouldn’t be until January 15, 1898 that Germany was able to coerce China into leasing them 553 square kilometers of land in Northeast China (incl. Qingdao city) for 99 years. The colony was to become to the first European colony on mainland China, as Taiwan (Japan), Hong Kong (Britain) and Macau (Portugal) were all islands.

 

Although it was to be a rather short stay for the German occupiers (they would be defeated by Japanese forces after only fifteen years) they would within this short period of time leave a sizable footprint. They built a railroad, made improvements to the harbor and even opened a shipyard. They would also continue to establish their Christian presence through the construction of churches, and were able to construct a brewery, whose first batch of beer was finished in 1904. The brewery has continued to produce beer ever since, and has brought the city national and international recognition

 

 

 

 

tsingtao1903.gif

 

 

 

If I can add just a bit to C 10-8's interesting commentary, in case any beer lover missed it in the picture for the museum, the Qingdao brewery that was built by the Germans and is still in operation makes the Tsingtoa brand that is not too hard to find in the United States.

 

download.jpg.2bc271925030b2a92ca8c6fd217c5268.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

The wine of the day began on my birthday, June 23

My birthday too!  I hope we both see many, many more of them 🎂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kazu said:

 

OMG This is scary 😱. July 5th will make it 8 years!  😬 

Wow!! I knew you had been doing it for a while. FYI, it’s the positive and friendly people like you and those on the Daily that kept me coming back every day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, rafinmd said:

A few others:

 

Rich debuted the Quote and meal suggestion April 5

The wine of the day began on my birthday, June 23

The drink of the day began September 1

My first sunrise was July 9 (something like "Love the Horizon Day")

My first alternate meal suggestion was August 6, although it goes on hiatus periodically.

 

Anyone care to research when the wine and drink suggestions and Debbie's recipes started?

 

Roy

 

My birthday is the next day, but my mother was always telling me it was the 23rd. I think she got her days mixed up because it was the middle of the night. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...