COVID Situation rapidly improving in the USA

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think there was a time in our country when businesses did not have to "justify" opening.  In this case the CDC is blocking reopening without any recourse, guidelines on what to do to open, etc.  The CDC has effectively taken away the right of folks to conduct a business and they have done it without a single hearing, due process, etc.    While many may agree with the decision to halt cruising (and keep them shut down for the next 100 years) that is just not the way things are normally done is our system.   I am not one of those conspiracy nuts or anti government (I worked for the government for over 35 years) but I do have a concern.  One given about government and politicians is that seldom to never give up power once it has been achieved.  We now have a precedent where a single agency, using unelected bureaucrats, can shut down just about any business or activity with no due process or reasonable recourse.   At this point that scares me a lot more then COVID.

Folks might want to think back to the days of the USSR and how they were able to simply lock folks up by saying they were mentally ill.  There was no trial, no due process, etc.  The Government simply tossed folks into mental health facilities (which were actually prisons) in the interests of "mental health."   Now we have businesses shut down (with little to no science to support the decision) and we have folks arrested for refusing to wear a mask in the interests of public health.  And I suppose we might even see somebody arrested because they dared to get closer then 6 feet to another person!  I know this all sounds ridiculous and not possible in America....but then again.......

Hank

Hank

Since when did a for profit enterprise have the right to endanger Americans?

Since when were for profit enterprises guaranteed an income?

What i don't understand is trusting enterprises that have only profit as a motivation over government elected by and for the people. Do you really think a business cares more about your health than its bottom line?

53 minutes ago, mom says said:

I really think you need to take a step (or 2) back and take a really long look at what you are saying. You're catastrophizing and making false equivalencies. You're a better person than that.

Maya Angelou - When someone shows you who they are...

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

In this case the CDC is blocking reopening without any recourse, guidelines on what to do to open, etc. 

How do you know what they're doing or not doing?

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Watching a video of a 65 year old woman being tackled, by police, for not wearing a mask has a way of coloring one's point of view:

Watch 65-year-old woman tackled, arrested for refusing to wear a mask (independentsentinel.com)

Hank

Yep.  She was in a private "store" in violation of the "store's" policies and making a scene in addition to her non-compliance with the "store's" policies.  Had nothing to do with government and government directives.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Folks might want to think back to the days of the USSR and how they were able to simply lock folks up by saying they were mentally ill.  There was no trial, no due process, etc. 

Or think back to the USA. A husband could have his wife committed with little effort until what? 1950? 1960? 1970? I believe it is harder now to get a judge's order.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Watching a video of a 65 year old woman being tackled, by police, for not wearing a mask has a way of coloring one's point of view:

Watch 65-year-old woman tackled, arrested for refusing to wear a mask (independentsentinel.com)

Hank

Seriously, is that the best you can do? Some self entitled antimask Karen refuses to abide by a private company's policy, creates a disturbance,  assaults and resists arrest by a cop just doing his job... and somehow this is the CDCs  fault. Come on now. Even you can't make that claim. I used to respect your posts, but not any more.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Seriously, is that the best you can do? Some self entitled antimask Karen refuses to abide by a private company's policy, creates a disturbance,  assaults and resists arrest by a cop just doing his job... and somehow this is the CDCs  fault. Come on now. Even you can't make that claim. I used to respect your posts, but not any more.

^^^This

21 hours ago, mom says said:

I really think you need to take a step (or 2) back and take a really long look at what you are saying. You're catastrophizing and making false equivalencies. You're a better person than that.

Really?  Because I am old enough to remember the early days of the pandemic:

"He [Fauci] added that the Chinese have been very efficient in containing the disease, however, they have used “draconian” methods in doing so, such as shutting down entire cities. Fauci said he doubts the U.S. would adopt similar methods."

And then we proceeded to do just that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/fauci-travel-restrictions-irrelevant-if-coronavirus-becomes-a-pandemic.html

51 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

"He [Fauci] added that the Chinese have been very efficient in containing the disease, however, they have used “draconian” methods in doing so, such as shutting down entire cities. Fauci said he doubts the U.S. would adopt similar methods."

And then we proceeded to do just that.

At no time in the US that I am aware of did we ever do ANYTHING approaching what they did in China, or even in Australia and New Zealand. 

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

At no time in the US that I am aware of did we ever do ANYTHING approaching what they did in China, or even in Australia and New Zealand. 

Which is why we still have a serious infection problem across the country and places where states have played fast and loose with the lives of their citizens.  Sad!