Let's think positive -- I am booking one of the new Bahamas cruises because . .. and any other thoughts

I am booked for July 3rd, it will be my 30th cruise across all brands, but I am new to Crystal and it will be my first all-inclusive experience. How exciting! 💃

Tea on Crystal has one major plus for me.....it's in the Palm Court!  I had tea on HAL once (which is a line I do cruise on and enjoy) and it was served at shared tables in the Main Dining Room which was NOT special at all to me.  One and done on that!  I don't attend tea on Crystal much because I am usually still full from lunch, but the room, music, view and service is wonderful.  P.S. "Tea" can also be Champagne!!!   

Have a wonderful time everyone...I can't wait to see pictures!!

~Nancy

So Tweetie~  Prepare to be spoiled and make Crystal your cruise line of choice for the rest of your life.  Hubby and I had been on over 20 cruises before we sailed Crystal and we were amazed at the things Crystal did to make the experience so far superior to any of the other lines we'd sailed.  Welcome aboard!

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Tea on Crystal has one major plus for me.....it's in the Palm Court!  I had tea on HAL once (which is a line I do cruise on and enjoy) and it was served at shared tables in the Main Dining Room which was NOT special at all to me.

HAL now does tea in a lounge at small tables, but it's nothing special. They used to do an Indonesian  tea which was really nice. Oceania does a very nice job.

5 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

I am booked for July 3rd, it will be my 30th cruise across all brands, but I am new to Crystal and it will be my first all-inclusive experience. How exciting! 💃

Fantastic and you are certainly a seasoned cruiser having sailed many different brands.  I hope you enjoy Crystal Cruises.  We love it.

There is a sticky thread towards the top of the board I have written with first time Crystal Cruisers in mind.  I haven't updated it since COVID so a few things are not applicable at this time but it might be helpful for you.  When you visit it look for post 139 with my last update.

Again welcome.

Keith

Cannot wait to cruise but unfortunately may not have my second dose before the final payment so have to hold my horses. I booked Silversea for december but hope to go on Crystal before that!

If you are a first time Crystal cruiser i highly recommend Keith's "guide.'  We not only relied on the thread before our first Crystal cruise, but we were lucky enough to be in the cabin next to his on that cruise -- I asked him plenty of questions.

I an loathe to admit it, but I have begun to think of Crystal Serenity as a particularly good place to surf.

We have booked one cruise in July and back to backs in September.

1 hour ago, Pat King said:

I an loathe to admit it, but I have begun to think of Crystal Serenity as a particularly good place to surf.

We have booked one cruise in July and back to backs in September.

Fantastic.  Glad to hear you have three of the cruises booked.

Keith

On 3/19/2021 at 5:01 PM, Keith1010 said:

Yes when they announced this last week both Jack Anderson and Carmen Roig commented about expected high demand for these cruises and I suspect they are right based on looking at various categories across cruises that now show call for availability.  

One of the questions was do you expect the rest of the Caribbean sailings to go as planned.  Jack Anderson noted while they wish this could happen the challenge with the itineraries is each one has many ports across several countries and this adds to the complexity and often each one is different.  He said it is very possible they will need to extend the Bahama itineraries.  My guess is they will because of the reasons Mr. Anderson noted.

Keith

Yes , I think they will extend the Bahamas cruises. I am very glad for those people booking this cruises. Unfortunately for me it means I will have to cancel my 22 days Caribbean cruise out of Miami for November. I guess only in 2022 we will be back on a Crystal ship. But I am very happy that Crystal is getting so many bookings and also from so many first cruisers 👍.

Ivi

54 minutes ago, 39august said:

Is Crystal allowing booking back to back on these sailings, please?

As of the first day they had 200 guests who had booked back-to-back voyages with some planning to spend 42 days on board according to the press release and 25% of the voyages had been booked.  If you are in interested in a back to back I would book quickly in order not to have to move rooms.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

As of the first day they had 200 guests who had booked back-to-back voyages with some planning to spend 42 days on board according to the press release and 25% of the voyages had been booked.  If you are in interested in a back to back I would book quickly in order not to have to move rooms.

Keith

I have read many of your posts and think you provide so much good information for anyone considering Crystal.  I just booked Crystal for the first time- well actually first time was for their October 2020 specials back in the Spring of 2020 that got cancelled.  Trying again and so hope this one takes. 

I booked for Oct 16th because I didn't know when I would get the vaccine- Yeah- I got my first shot today.  However, Canada is following Britain's lead to get as many people vaccinated as fast as they can so my second dose is not til July 11th or I might have tried for the earlier cruises

I have mainly sailed Oceania but I have heard Bitob and others talk about being crytalized so I am keen to try it.

After my long winded speech, I do have a question.  I booked a P1 Deluxe Veranda guarantee.  If I want to know where I will be I can book a specific cabin if I go for an A1 Deluxe Veranda.  Would you recommend a specific cabin over a guarantee?  I notice most of the P1 category have connecting doors.

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

I have read many of your posts and think you provide so much good information for anyone considering Crystal.  I just booked Crystal for the first time- well actually first time was for their October 2020 specials back in the Spring of 2020 that got cancelled.  Trying again and so hope this one takes. 

I booked for Oct 16th because I didn't know when I would get the vaccine- Yeah- I got my first shot today.  However, Canada is following Britain's lead to get as many people vaccinated as fast as they can so my second dose is not til July 11th or I might have tried for the earlier cruises

I have mainly sailed Oceania but I have heard Bitob and others talk about being crytalized so I am keen to try it.

After my long winded speech, I do have a question.  I booked a P1 Deluxe Veranda guarantee.  If I want to know where I will be I can book a specific cabin if I go for an A1 Deluxe Veranda.  Would you recommend a specific cabin over a guarantee?  I notice most of the P1 category have connecting doors.

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on your first sailing with Crystal.  Sorry the 2020 one didn't work out.  Let's hope all goes well with these voyages.  You are very wise to have waited just to be sure you will get the vaccine.  I had read recently how Canada is having people wait four months for the second dosage to get more people vaccinated at least one time. 

If you want to know for sure what room you are in and if location is important I would go with an A1.

The advantage of the guarantee for the P1 is the chance to be upgraded to a PH.  The downside is if you are not upgraded you might not like the location.

I would study the diagram to be sure if you got any of the P1's you would be OK with that.

The difference between the P1 and the A1 is the P1's have a nicer finish out and there are less rooms on Deck 10 than Deck 9.

You are correct about them mostly being connecting rooms.  Some families take a PH and also the P1 so they can put children in the P1 and have access via the connecting door.  I've also known some couples who take both rooms choosing to sleep in the PH but wanting to have more closet space and the second bathroom.

For me I like certainty so I don't do guarantees but for those who don't care about location I know many who try the guarantee.  I prefer mid-ship because it's easier to get to places being forward or places in the back of the ship and mid ship has a little less sway if the seas become rough.  I also like mid-ship to be closer to the laundry rooms although a friend asked me if they would be open due to COVID-19 and I wasn't sure and I will try to track down the answer on that one.  I guess for me as long as the location for the A1 was a good one I would go for the A1.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions please be sure to ask.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

The advantage of the guarantee for the P1 is the chance to be upgraded to a PH.  The downside is if you are not upgraded you might not like the location.

Thank you for your swift response.  The chance for an upgrade was the draw for me to book the guarantee.  Only the connecting door was something I'm not sure of- I have heard people say it's a problem.

One more question.  Not sure what cruise line made the statement but the statement was that only people who traveled together or got written permission from the cruise line could dine together.  Are there solo tables in the specialties or if this statement is true, would that mean I would have no option to dine in the specialties?

11 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Only the connecting door was something I'm not sure of- I have heard people say it's a problem

I did not have any noise issues when I stayed in a cabin with a connecting door.

Nancy

4 minutes ago, nancygp said:

I did not have any noise issues when I stayed in a cabin with a connecting door.

Nancy

Thanks.  I'll keep my P1 guarantee then.  I didn't know that P1 verandas had some nicer finishes as Keith said so I would be happy with any of them.  I just want to get on the water.

8 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Are there solo tables in the specialties or if this statement is true, would that mean I would have no option to dine in the specialties?

I have seen solos dining alone in Prego, and presumably that would also be possible in Umi Uma and the other specialties that do not require reservations.  If the sushi bar is open, you can certainly dine solo there.  But social distancing will be difficult/impossible at the sushi bar unless they limit it to 2 people or 2 couples.  Even then, the diners may be less than 6 feet from the sushi chef(s), so they may not have the sushi bar open.

Under normal circumstances, Crystal offers to set up group tables for solos wanting to dine in Prego with others.  I'm not sure if they do this for Umi Uma, but they might.  Obviously, that option will be out for a while.

3 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Thank you for your swift response.  The chance for an upgrade was the draw for me to book the guarantee.  Only the connecting door was something I'm not sure of- I have heard people say it's a problem.

One more question.  Not sure what cruise line made the statement but the statement was that only people who traveled together or got written permission from the cruise line could dine together.  Are there solo tables in the specialties or if this statement is true, would that mean I would have no option to dine in the specialties?

You are very welcome.

I would not worry about the connecting door. 

On your second question I do not see this mentioned in the new protocols but I would relook at each one to be sure.  This link will take you to them.  You could also have your TA followup with Crystal on this one.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

Keith

Since everyone on board will be vaccinated, I don't see any reason to not let people dine together if they wish.  Our CDC even states that people who have been vaccinated should be able to safely get together indoors without masks.  I usually travel solo and pre-COVID had a table by myself anywhere on the ship I wanted to.  

Have a wonderful time,

~Nancy

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

I have dined alone many times in the specialty restaurants with no issues at all.  Don't even worry about it!

I would miss not being able to dine with others in the main dining room as I normally would ask for a shared table there, but I am sure dining alone will be fine there also. 

I'm not planning to try these Bahamas itineraries, but I am rooting for all of you that will be.  Hoping it all goes well and you have a great time!

Edited by NancyNM
fix typos
6 hours ago, NancyNM said:

I have dined alone many times in the specialty restaurants with no issues at all.  Don't even worry about it!

I would miss not being able to dine with others in the main dining room as I normally would ask for a shared table there, but I am sure dining alone will be fine there also. 

I'm not planning to try these Bahamas itineraries, but I am rooting for all of you that will be.  Hoping it all goes well and you have a great time!

I am glad you posted this. As a solo traveler who also likes to be on my own, it would be very strange not to be able to dine on the specialty restaurants because of traveling solo. Never heard about that on any cruise line or restaurant. I have only once experienced some concerns on a Chinese restaurant in Beijing in 1986, in which they said to me they did not have menues for solos. I have said no problem, you bring a whole Peking Duck menue for me alone. I had a good time since I love Peking duck 😉.

Ivi

On 3/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, cruisingxpert said:

Are there solo tables in the specialties or if this statement is true, would that mean I would have no option to dine in the specialties?

Hi. I have sailed Crystal as a solo, and there is no problem eating anywhere on the ship as a single person. No one is treated any differently, you would simply be seated at a 2-top. And as I have always experienced, they NEVER put me in a corner or hidden away (which I would not like).