Jump to content

First thing to do once onboard?


Recommended Posts

On 3/25/2021 at 5:06 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Don't forget to eat! 

Eating is definitely on the cards. I don't like to eat giant meals. I prefer to snack all day. I don't expect us in the MDR except once or twice. We will have 1 or 2 specialty restaurants on our cruises, but that is all. The rest of the time, I want to be able to lounge at a bar or somewhere with a small snack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Eating is definitely on the cards. I don't like to eat giant meals. I prefer to snack all day. I don't expect us in the MDR except once or twice. We will have 1 or 2 specialty restaurants on our cruises, but that is all. The rest of the time, I want to be able to lounge at a bar or somewhere with a small snack.

 

A good plan and be sure to remember when you are at a bar, ask about snacks that they may have available.  Most of the time, these ought to be free.  Some have an extra cost snack menu, I have been told, but have not seen these.  

 

One of the "joys" of sailing on ships of HAL has been their service of hors d'oeuvres at the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest Bars (maybe others as well).  Some of these "goodies" are warm; some cold; some rather creative.  Peanuts should always be available; sometimes mixed nuts; sometimes Goldfish crackers; sometimes pretzels.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

CCL allows you to take 2 bottles of wine on board on embarking. Take an opener and enjoy on balcony. Corkage fee is charged if you take it to dining room. If you purchase alcohol at other ports it will be held until night before disembark. We purchase special shipping bags for items so we can pack them in luggage

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first things I did on my NCL cruise-

Lunch in MDR

enquire about behind the scenes tour

Take free orientation tour.

After that I got a drink and seat at Great Outdoors and waited for sailing

Link to post
Share on other sites

I book all my dining and spa reservations ahead of time on the website so when I get on board I can start enjoying right away.  That being said, I only carry on a small bag(s) with me (filled with necessities....Passport, $, sunblock, bathing suit, Kindle, etc.) and leave the big bags with the porters so I don't have to lug them around while waiting until the rooms to be ready.  They will get delivered to the room later.

 

I usually try to find a somewhat quiet spot for lunch and then walk around and see the ship.  Also, I take as many pics as I can without people in them (theaters, dining rooms, etc.).  

 

Once the rooms are ready I head down and freshen up, unpack, read the Fun Times (Carnival) program with all the activities and goings on that day.  Then get ready for the Muster Drill.  After Muster, head up to the upper decks for the sail away party. You can partake in the fun or enjoy watching from the other decks.  The views are beautiful as the ship is heading out of port.  After sail away many folks start getting ready for dinner.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @JerseyGirlJen. I see there is a difference between cruise lines. I am finding that my booking on NCL with the "free" specialty dining does not allow pre-booking for those meals. They have to be done once onboard. I have heard that it can be done through the phone app on embarkation day. I will have to research that. On CCL, specialty dining can be scheduled when you pay for it which is nice. 

 

From all the information I have gathered here, it is just board, explore, grab a bite and drink, and enjoy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

 

From all the information I have gathered here, it is just board, explore, grab a bite and drink, and enjoy.

That is a very good summary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Thanks @JerseyGirlJen. I see there is a difference between cruise lines. I am finding that my booking on NCL with the "free" specialty dining does not allow pre-booking for those meals. They have to be done once onboard. I have heard that it can be done through the phone app on embarkation day. I will have to research that. On CCL, specialty dining can be scheduled when you pay for it which is nice. 

 

From all the information I have gathered here, it is just board, explore, grab a bite and drink, and enjoy.

Is this new, because folks were always able to book specialty restaurants ahead of time with the package?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

This may get a little long winded so I will try to limit it. For those of us that have never cruised, some of the things that need to be done onboard are unknown or with only the information we gather from sites like these. I am going to ask by cruise line because we have two different booked.

 

NCL: We got the "free" things which include 2 specialty dining options. So those can't be reserved before boarding to my knowledge.

  1. Can entertainment/shows be reserve ahead of time in the app or online pre-cruise? If not, where can this be done on the ship?
  2. The free specialty dining has to be booked once onboard. Where do you go to make those reservations (preferably where 1,000 other passengers aren't doing the same thing)?

CCL: No addon specialty dining, but if you buy it before the cruise you can reserve your spot.

  1. Can you make entertainment reservations before boarding through the app or site?
  2. If not, where can this be done onboard where there are not tons of people doing the same thing?

 

I know once I get onboard I will want to start with a cocktail. That will make waiting in a small line a bit more enjoyable. After that, it is taking in all the information overload, trying to learn how to navigate the ship, and take everything in that we can.

 

If you can book your specialty dining and any entertainment that needs booked in advance. I can't speak to NCL myself but I'd check whether it can be done by phone, online, or via an app.

 

If these can't be done in advance divide and conquer. Talk over option before you board with your spouse or whomever you cruise with beforehand so that each of you can handle one of these. There is no reason you cannot grab a cocktail first and sip while you are waiting, and you may be surprised. Sometimes I've walked on and to my surprise found there wasn't even a line to book. Remember you'll likely have the ability to text or call each other while the boat is at the dock using land resources, too, so coordinating shouldn't be too hard.

 

Mind you, this is just how I'd handle things. I like to get everything booked then head to the top deck to grab a cocktail and meet up with folks from my CC Roll Call. I've never been on a cruise I wasn't able to do all that plus have a snack and a look around the ship before Muster Drill, but maybe I've just been lucky.

 

The best part is even if you don't get your dream reservations, you'll still get to do something awesome on a wonderful cruise ship, so just enjoy!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2021 at 4:02 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

This may get a little long winded so I will try to limit it. For those of us that have never cruised, some of the things that need to be done onboard are unknown or with only the information we gather from sites like these. I am going to ask by cruise line because we have two different booked.

 

NCL: We got the "free" things which include 2 specialty dining options. So those can't be reserved before boarding to my knowledge.

  1. Can entertainment/shows be reserve ahead of time in the app or online pre-cruise? If not, where can this be done on the ship?
  2. The free specialty dining has to be booked once onboard. Where do you go to make those reservations (preferably where 1,000 other passengers aren't doing the same thing)?

CCL: No addon specialty dining, but if you buy it before the cruise you can reserve your spot.

  1. Can you make entertainment reservations before boarding through the app or site?
  2. If not, where can this be done onboard where there are not tons of people doing the same thing?

 

I know once I get onboard I will want to start with a cocktail. That will make waiting in a small line a bit more enjoyable. After that, it is taking in all the information overload, trying to learn how to navigate the ship, and take everything in that we can.

 

On NLC, you can reserve the shows 90 days out from your sail date, and the shows (for the most part) are complimentary.  As for the restaurant reservations, you can make those by calling Customer Service once onboard or through the Smart TV in your cabin.

 

On some of the larger CCL ships, you can make your reservations ahead of time, probably very similar to the method used for making the reservations you want on NCL.  The smaller ships, from my understanding, do not offer this service.

 

What I do know for CCL, is that you can make your dinner reservations ahead of time through your TA or the CCL website once you get closer to your sail date

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Some cruise lines like Cunard let you go directly to your cabin so first stop is always to drop off carry on luggage. 

 

Otherwise we hit the buffet for lunch and then grab a cocktail and hang out in one of the lounges till the cabins are available. 

 

If it's our first time aboard a new ship, nothing better than grabbing a quick lunch and exploring. 

 

Jonathan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...