Celebrity will be restarting cruising out of St. Maarten on June 5th with Millennium

dkjretired

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

T

Two separate comments.

For Canadiens having one dose of Pfizer or Moderna does not make you fully vaccinated.  The 4 months between doses does not appear to reduce efficacy is the good news.

The difficulty is much of the discussion is trying to blame the CDC for the lack of movement forward.  Do others remember that there were multiple agencies at the big meeting last year.  Not just the CDC.  Thus other agencies responsible for decision making including the current administration.

The cruiselines are indeed wanting to avoid a repeat of the March 2021 fiasco.  That would put cruising in the distant future.  Thus the fully vaccinated requirement.  I am mystified at allowing under 18s on board without vaccination.  Cruiselines could fill a ship with almost any conceivable requirement - even something silly like 50 to 55 years old only.

Evidently CLIA and AZ have hired the same PR firms.  Both incompetent.  CLIA should have aggressively put forth a detailed passenger plan - just like for crew - months ago.  Are they just making a smoke screen and not really wanting to return to cruising when COVID is likely to become an issue?  No idea.

I think the cruise lines have to get back asap, as sooner rather than later the money flow runs out.

As to spacing of shots, the US did a little change a few weeks ago by wanting to give 1st shots out rather than 2nd shots, so the US delayed the 2nd shits by 2-3 weeks. That kind of means this is all less than science but it is what it is.

We, including myself, are up here in the stands not knowing the finer details of whats going on. However, on the surface it does not look good and it does take two parties to tango.  or tangle.

I'd like to know the real reason.

Watch stock prices for evidence of insider trading. That usually tells us whats happening good or not so good.

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

I think the big deal is there should be reporting , but meat and potato type of reporting.  The pareto 90/10 rule--10% of the effort will get you 90% of the benefit. From there on you get diminished returns.

AKA the low hanging fruit theory. Shame on any or all of them if they missed the low hanging fruit.

Risk management is all about that, eg, the cost of prevention is usually less than the cost of fixing things.

Why not give them what they are asking for? You’re not sailing now. Look at what happened when the people revolted over wearing a mask, social distancing, etc, you are sitting home.

It’s their ball so play the way they want or live with the results.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, terrydtx said:

I was told that they were keeping records online for non customers.  We are CVS customers so I am not worried. The real problem is, our county health department is a provider and they are keeping no records of vaccinations other than a card you get from them. This was why we waited until CVS was offering vaccinations. CVS was also much more organized as our City and county were offering public vaccinating at the Alamo Dome with hundreds of people waiting in lines hours to get their shots. 

There are so many different sources for shots in FL keeping a database could be problematic. 

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

I think the cruise lines have to get back asap, as sooner rather than later the money flow runs out.

As to spacing of shots, the US did a little change a few weeks ago by wanting to give 1st shots out rather than 2nd shots, so the US delayed the 2nd shits by 2-3 weeks. That kind of means this is all less than science but it is what it is.

We, including myself, are up here in the stands not knowing the finer details of whats going on. However, on the surface it does not look good and it does take two parties to tango.  or tangle.

Watch stock prices for evidence of insider trading. That usually tells us whats happening good or not so good.

The second shot timing is exactly as described in the US EUA from the phase 3 clinical trial data.  It is 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4 weeks for Moderna.  Why are they different despite the fact they they are almost identical vaccines?  It is based on how the trials were run and data collected and not anything else.  The AZ/Oxford vaccine is 4 weeks between doses but post clinical trial data indicates that the efficacy actually goes up after longer delay between doses.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/dosing-information-for-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

The delay in second doses for some of these vaccines beyond what was done in the clinic is due to the shortage of vaccines, and the great need to get more people vaccinated at least once to break the pandemic.  Some might say this goes against the clinical science and study results.  It is clear that the average vaccine recipient in this situation is worried about it.  But in fact the delay in dosing is really based upon detailed knowledge of your immune system and of many other vaccines over years of practice.  So in fact it is based on good science.  The communication of why it is OK to delay a second (booster) vaccine dose from your immune system's perspective in understandable terms has been much lacking.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, Fouremco said:

You might want to do a bit of research on that. The UK adopted the delayed second dose with considerable success, and more and more of the medical community see the advantage of having more people getting first doses rather than fewer people with both doses. Of course, if unlimited vaccine and personnel to administer it were available, following the 28/35 day gap makes sense, but I know of no jurisdiction with unlimited resources. This article is worth reading:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2021/03/17/why-one-covid-19-vaccine-dose-is-better-than-two.html?rf

Georgia (US) just announced anybody over 16 can get the vaccine starting Thursday. Florida is currently vaccinating age 50+ and should be open to all comers by May. And both states are doing both doses on 21/28 day schedules. 

1 minute ago, doneall50 said:

Georgia (US) just announced anybody over 16 can get the vaccine starting Thursday. Florida is currently vaccinating age 50+ and should be open to all comers by May. And both states are doing both doses on 21/28 day schedules. 

Either Georgia has been very lucky with its supply or a lot of people haven't bothered to get vaccinated. Hopefully the former.

1 minute ago, doneall50 said:

Texas announced this morning all adults beginning next Monday. Opened to 50 and over last Monday and I got my first one on Wednesday. DH is done. We need a cruise to celebrate!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Either Georgia has been very lucky with its supply or a lot of people haven't bothered to get vaccinated. Hopefully the former.

Georgia is tied with Alabama for the lowest percentage of folks vaccinated in the US. The US map, by states, is about half the way down in the below link. Just hover your cursor over a state and you'll see Doses Given and the percentage of population covered.

More Than 468 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

On 3/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, cinlo said:

Exactly what I was wondering.  Far as I know, US is still going to require that negative test within 72 hours of arrival......

Passengers will be tested on board before disembarking.  That test would be good to fly to the  US.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:17 PM, lienf said:

There is definitely a shortage here. We have done a very poor job in vaccine procurement. I just checked on our CTV news web site and it shows we are at number 53 in the world in vaccines given. My wife and I are in our early 70’s and we may get our first shots sometime in April. Then a second 4 months after that. We have friends in the US and the UK who have had both shots. 

When Florida first got vaccines in late December there were people chartering planes flying down here from Canada to get it. You now have to live in FL or own property here to get it, but there’s enough supply that there haven’t been any lines in the Jacksonville area in weeks. Everybody we know who wants it has gotten it. You can get it at most pharmacies, most grocery stores and even in church! We even have 2 converted city buses driving around where you can get it. We have Pfizer, Moderna and J&J, and some places will give you your choice of vaccine. 

2 minutes ago, CruisingGoddess said:

Anyway... who is booking one of the St. Maarten Celebrity cruises tomorrow?? I'm planning too! Can't wait to get back to cruising!! 🙌

We have a b2b2b booked on the Edge in July. We're weighing the pros and cons to switch those bookings to the Millennium during the same timeframe. Of course, we'd much rather go on the Edge out of Ft Lauderdale. But since final payment is not due until mid April, we still have time to see if CDC changes their position. If not, we just might make the switch if cabins are still available then. Decisions, decisions ...

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Opening for all over 16 to register for vaccine and all getting it are 2 different things.

Looks like a bit of politics as seems they are simply creating a long line.

We are over 25% vaccinated and supplies now ramping up 

19 minutes ago, CruisingGoddess said:

Anyway... who is booking one of the St. Maarten Celebrity cruises tomorrow?? I'm planning too! Can't wait to get back to cruising!! 🙌

Not me.  Way too chancy in having unvaccinated people on board, IMO.  I can wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HMR74 said:

I recall that there was some discussion about delaying the second shot and that it may have happened in some states due to vaccine shortage, especially during the storm.  But nationally the recommendation never changed.  FDA never changed the label to allow delay.

We are at least going to get a quote. We have a great 12-night booked on the Equinox mid-August, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. We also have a cabin on hold with Crystal. 

Granted we are looking at August, but I just don’t see this being a big family-type trip at any point in time. There will be Royal options on ships that are much more kid friendly. 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Georgia is tied with Alabama for the lowest percentage of folks vaccinated in the US. The US map, by states, is about half the way down in the below link. Just hover your cursor over a state and you'll see Doses Given and the percentage of population covered.

More Than 468 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

Thanks Ken. That's truly unfortunate.

The DW and I talked it over this evening and were throwing caution to the wind and switching our July B2B2B on the Edge, which may or may not go depending on what the CDC does, over to the Millennium! After 14+ cancellations so far and with the Pfizer vaccine flowing through our veins, it's time to go on a cruise!!

• Like 3