Will Carnival Follow Royal’s.Lead with Cruises Restarting Someplace Else

Oldsweets

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of proof Royal accepts for proof of vaccination.

This RCI FAQ document for the Adventure sailings shows this under Question # 6:

6. Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination? How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

At this time, guests 18 years and older are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID – 19, along with all crew members onboard. Each guest must submit proof of vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record document issued by either ( 1 ) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination ( e. g., U. S. CDC' s Vaccination Record Card) or ( 2 ) the guest' s medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form ( e. g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Royal Caribbean must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered ( e. g., received the second dose in a two- dose series), and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before the sailing date.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2021_2022/AD_FAQs.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruzCra-Z said:

I'm just curious, are you talking about the financial cost of getting a passport in Canada? Is it exorbitant? I'm not familiar with this topic.  Thanks

We , as Canadians, are used to having passports. My opinion is based on reading cruise critic posts about Americans and there reluctance to get passports for a myriad of reasons - but predominantly cost!

• Like 2

The only thing that would worry me about these cruises re-starting is the fact that the under-18 group would only need a negative covid test to sail.  Unfortunately they could be incubating the virus and it could "come out" on the cruise.  Guess that is a risk they are willing to take.

Times Change, So Do Our Protocols
At this time vaccinations will be required for adult guests to sail on Adventure of the Seas. Guests under the age of 18 will need to provide a negative RT-PCR test result.

11 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Thanks for the link.  Other points from that document I found interesting:

• If someone can't get a vaccine because of a medical disability, they're not automatically denied.  They say "call us".  Is there a possibility for game players to game the system? I hope not, but...
  • If a traveler tests positive within 3 weeks of the cruise they and their traveling party will get a full refund
  • They'll also give a refund if a traveler tests positive, along with their travel party.  They'll also cover onboard medical treatment costs, land-based quarantine costs, and travel home for everyone.  Pretty good, IMHO.
  • Contactless room service will be available
  • Full refunds for everyone if there's an early return to port due to COVID-19

To answer the OP's question, I think it's possible that Carnival will send some of its ships to the Caribbean to homeport outside the U.S.  I don't have any strong feelings on it; we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

The only thing that would worry me about these cruises re-starting is the fact that the under-18 group would only need a negative covid test to sail.  Unfortunately they could be incubating the virus and it could "come out" on the cruise.  Guess that is a risk they are willing to take.

Times Change, So Do Our Protocols
At this time vaccinations will be required for adult guests to sail on Adventure of the Seas. Guests under the age of 18 will need to provide a negative RT-PCR test result.

As they say .... proceed at your own risk. If parents want to take the risk of exposing their non vaccinated children to a cruise ship environment, it is their risk. For me no way.

Also .... perhaps, at the very least,  all children should wear masks ...... all the time.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Empehi said:

As they say .... proceed at your own risk. If parents want to take the risk of exposing their non vaccinated children to a cruise ship environment, it is their risk. For me no way.

Also .... perhaps, at the very least,  all children should wear masks ...... all the time.

Agree with you on everything.  But if I were that 5% not covered by the vaccine (Pfizer for example is supposedly 95% effective) I would be p.o.'d if I got covid from an under 18- even with all the precautions I would take.  So for me, I will wait until everyone has been vaccinated.  My small high school is on the rise with the number of covid cases right now just from sports teams being allowed to play again.  That is a small grouping of under 18's.  I can't imagine what a cruise ship environment would be like during summer vacays, etc.  jmho

8 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Agree with you on everything.  But if I were that 5% not covered by the vaccine (Pfizer for example is supposedly 95% effective) I would be p.o.'d if I got covid from an under 18- even with all the precautions I would take.  So for me, I will wait until everyone has been vaccinated.  My small high school is on the rise with the number of covid cases right now just from sports teams being allowed to play again.  That is a small grouping of under 18's.  I can't imagine what a cruise ship environment would be like during summer vacays, etc.  jmho

You have 95% immunity, not 95% have immunity, and the other 5% do not. So you may catch Covid, but it will not kill you or put you in the hospital. Instead it would be very mild and probably asymptomatic.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I am wondering if this is the cruise industry starting to apply a bit of pressure to the US (Federal) regulators, by basically saying "we're going to start cruising again, and if we have to rework our logistics so that we homeport outside the US, well, that will probably hurt you more than us...".

Desantis here in FL is proposing Fed stimulus dollars to be used to help the ports.  The Mayor of Miami is petitioning to talk to the CDC.  I see a political push to get things opened up fairly quickly.

I just hope it isn't too quickly - an outbreak on board would be a real disaster.

I'm not sure it does put pressure on the CDC. Why would the CDC care enough about  cruise business starting to go overseas to make them change their minds? The states with cruise homeports, most notably Florida, would care. Which might indeed cause Florida Governor DeSantis to be upset. But given how DeSantis has thumbed his nose the the CDC through this whole pandemic, I wouldn't expect the CDC to have much sympathy for him. The mayor of Miami is a Republican too, though I don't know that even big city mayors have enough juice to drive federal policy, so his political party may be irrelevant.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You have 95% immunity, not 95% have immunity, and the other 5% do not. So you may catch Covid, but it will not kill you or put you in the hospital. Instead it would be very mild and probably asymptomatic.

I'm no immunologist, but I'd guess it's a little of both. Everyone who has been vaccinated still has some chance of catching Covid, but they all don't have the same 5% chance. For example, an older immune compromised person still might be 20% as likely as an unvaccinated person to catch (mild) Covid, while a younger healthy person might only be 1% as likely.

But this is entirely speculation on my part, and as I said I'm no immunologist.

2 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm not sure it does put pressure on the CDC. Why would the CDC care enough about  cruise business starting to go overseas to make them change their minds? The states with cruise homeports, most notably Florida, would care. Which might indeed cause Florida Governor DeSantis to be upset. But given how DeSantis has thumbed his nose the the CDC through this whole pandemic, I wouldn't expect the CDC to have much sympathy for him. The mayor of Miami is a Republican too, though I don't know that even big city mayors have enough juice to drive federal policy, so his political party may be irrelevant.

Forgive me for bringing a little politics into the CDC reluctance to move forward in any meaningful way to get cruising started in the US but perhaps one should consider different motives of the CDC. It certainly doesn't appear the CDC is making any move to get cruising started so maybe this is the reason:

1. The CDC wants to bring the cruise lines to their knees (near or to bankruptcy). WHY?

2. So as a condition for sailing, the lines will have to re-flag some of their ships in the US. WHY?

3. So they will be under complete control of US employment regulations and

4. Therefore be able to unionize.

So think about it .... otherwise how the CDC is acting makes no sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Empehi said:

Forgive me for bringing a little politics into the CDC reluctance to move forward in any meaningful way to get cruising started in the US but perhaps one should consider different motives of the CDC. It certainly doesn't appear the CDC is making any move to get cruising started so maybe this is the reason:

1. The CDC wants to bring the cruise lines to their knees (near or to bankruptcy). WHY?

2. So as a condition for sailing, the lines will have to re-flag some of their ships in the US. WHY?

Oh wow I thought employing people from all over the world was a good idea . love seeing the countries everyone is from and them educating me a little before the rush to work and not chit chat lol. 

Makes sense.

Lol reading thru these 2 pages, seems like most are glad carnival isnt offering anything from the caribbean, too expensive, first time cruisers dont have passports, carnival cruisers are cheap. ..did I miss a reason? 

Dont see any posts for carnival offering similar.

Interesting read. 

• Like 2

I don't think the cruise lines will flourish without American ports and passengers. Sure, some of the premium lines may be able to exist but the mass market lines? Forgetabout it. The lines may be forced to do something drastic in order stay solvent. Maybe taxiing/ferrying passengers out in smaller boats (below the CDC requirements) into international waters or something along those lines or working with neighboring countries (Mexico) and airlines to circumvent the death sentence imposed upon them. There has to be a way to make it work with a little ingenuity.         

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Empehi said:

Even if the goal was to get cruise lines to change their domicile to the US, this would actually be horrible timing - Carnival (Panama) or Royal Caribbean (Liberia) could become US corporations, and would likely report giant losses that get carried forward to offset taxes on future profits - which will certainly be lower in 2022 given that CCL, RCL, NCLH have added $50 Billion in debt to their balance sheet.

Registering ships in the US would make cruises more expensive (higher wages, workers comp), which likely means some ships permanently homeporting in Mexico, The Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

What about people who have had covid and recovered?  We are just as immune as vaccinated folks.  

Nope......get jabbed or stay home.  Or, move to the UK and then you can cruise on the MSC Magnifica, which is allowing the unvaccinated to cruise this summer.

24 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Even if the goal was to get cruise lines to change their domicile to the US, this would actually be horrible timing - Carnival (Panama) or Royal Caribbean (Liberia) could become US corporations, and would likely report giant losses that get carried forward to offset taxes on future profits - which will certainly be lower in 2022 given that CCL, RCL, NCLH have added $50 Billion in debt to their balance sheet.

Registering ships in the US would make cruises more expensive (higher wages, workers comp), which likely means some ships permanently homeporting in Mexico, The Bahamas, and the Caribbean.

They can't US flag the ships because they aren't made in the US - PVSA would have to be eliminated. Actually, that isn't a bad idea. But still they would be bankrupt because nobody could afford to sail on them.

I'm going to bet a breakout of Norovirus sooner than Covid on cruises....when they resume.

The mentality is that I have my vaccination, and I'm immune.....not so fast.

Masks, social distancing.....nothing matters more than washing your hands and using sanitizers with Noro.

David

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I'm going to bet a breakout of Norovirus sooner than Covid on cruises....when they resume.

A side effect of the precautions for Covid is likely a decrease or elimination of Noro on cruise ships, decrease in flu and other respiratory illnesses, etc.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Empehi said:

OK, under your theory what is the CDC's motivation to want cruise ships unionized? If you're thinking political pressure, note that the CDC has has much the same stance on cruising during the pandemic under both a Republican and Democrat president.

A much simpler explanation is that the CDC is just exceedingly cautious on returning to normal during the pandemic. This fits with their approach not just for cruises, but when you see their recommendations masks, social distancing, opening businesses, travel, etc. which are way more conservative than the approaches the states are taking.

Who is right, I'm not qualified to judge. But if the CDC had authority over all these other aspects of life I daresay cruising wouldn't be the only thing that's is still shut down now.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would like it if Carnival offered the same thing.  I have no issue with a vaccine requirement, covid test, passports, or flying to a port.  I am ready to go.  It's been a year and it's time to move forward.  

We are also ready to cruise 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

OK, under your theory what is the CDC's motivation to want cruise ships unionized? If you're thinking political pressure, note that the CDC has has much the same stance on cruising during the pandemic under both a Republican and Democrat president.

A much simpler explanation is that the CDC is just exceedingly cautious on returning to normal during the pandemic. This fits with their approach not just for cruises, but when you see their recommendations masks, social distancing, opening businesses, travel, etc. which are way more conservative than the approaches the states are taking.

Who is right, I'm not qualified to judge. But if the CDC had authority over all these other aspects of life I daresay cruising wouldn't be the only thing that's is still shut down now.

Maybe we're reaching, but is it some coincidence that they are still singled out for so long? The companies that aren't pay as much US taxes, aren't constantly displaying their woke set of virtue signaling, aren't contributing much politically? Let's be real, there's a reason companies do all of these things. To what level of accusation we want to place this, I don't know. What I will say, is the cruise lines have made few friends. Florida is one of them though because Florida relies on the tourism.

• Like 3

On 3/20/2021 at 9:50 AM, Empehi said:

It certainly doesn't appear the CDC is making any move to get cruising started so maybe this is

Cruise ship employees, or most of them, already are unionized, so there goes your conclusion.

https://www.itfglobal.org/en