Meals on Board

MSEm

I know that there are only 3 entree choices on the lunch and dinner menus.  Also ACL tries to make regional specialties.

Does ACL have a stand alternative choice such as grill steak or chicken?

We have taken many other river cruises and also 2 small (78 passenger) sailing cruises. This will be our first ACL cruise. Grill Steak and chicken were always available for dinner on the other river cruises and sailing cruises.

Thanks for any and all info on saiing with ACL.

Here is how they do things. At breakfast, they give you a card with the Lunch and Dinner menus and ask you to chose what you want. It's not binding, but helps them get an idea of how much to prepare. If you are not happy with any of he offerings and want something simple like grilled chicken breast or a burger, they can usually accommodate you. I was on an ACL cruise with some younger kids and all they wanted was burgers, grilled cheese and chicken nuggets. One afternoon, the family stopped at Taco Bell and the restaurant manager wasn't happy when they showed up in the dining room for dinner carry their Taco dinner!

Thank you for the meal information. I can understand the meal choice card for lunch and dinner.  I would expect that local seafood will be on the Alaskan cruises.  I am usually careful when ordering seafood making sure it is wild, fresh and local. Also I do not like seafood in cream sauces but grilled, baked, or pan fried.

Having grown up near Savannah, GA and living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast or 30 years we always eat boiled shrimp or crabs hot; never chilled.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done lots of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity cruises and we are booked on American Jazz --Memphis to New Orleans-- in November 2021 for our first river cruise. Thanks for all the responses so far.

When is coffee and the self-service breakfast available in the morning?

What are the dining room hours for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner?

When the dining room opens are there lots of guests lined up to storm in when the doors open? How does the dining room staff handle the surge? (an overused word these days.)

Are snacks and refreshments available all day? Are drinks expensive outside of happy hour?

Coffee should be available early. With Covid, the self service breakfast is probably a thing of the past.

Not sure of breakfast hours, something like 7:30-8:30, lunch is 12:00 or 12:30 depending on tour return times. Dinner starts after happy hour at 6:30. They used to have everyone go at once, but a few years ago they spread it out to open dining. Sit down between 6:30 and 8:00(I think)

they have soda, juice, water, ice, cookies, granola bars, chips, pretzels, etc. available all day in one of the lounges. As I recall they bring out fresh baked cookes in late afternoon, but they are gone in minutes.