Travel Insurance cruise cover.

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

Has anybody tried the insurance that p and o sell for prices and cover 

Yes I have and they wanted for a single trip policy covering 7days for a couple aged 62/61 with medical history but nothing serious nearly £80.

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes I have and they wanted for a single trip policy covering 7days for a couple aged 62/61 with medical history but nothing serious nearly £80.

They quoted me aged 70 with medical conditions 7 night single trip policy nearly £200 😨

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

They quoted me aged 70 with medical conditions 7 night single trip policy nearly £200 😨

Yes they are really ripping people off. I also had a quote from them for an annual multi trip cruise policy at the beginning of March and that was telephone numbers.

I had a quote for hubby and me (with medical conditions) from the Post Office for our 4 night seacation with Princess of £220 !! Princess don't have the £2000000 cover for UK like P and O do We have £1000000 worldwide cover and £10000 cover for UK with our bank and will stick with that

6 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I had a quote for hubby and me (with medical conditions) from the Post Office for our 4 night seacation with Princess of £220 !! Princess don't have the £2000000 cover for UK like P and O do We have £1000000 worldwide cover and £10000 cover for UK with our bank and will stick with that

Have you contacted your bank to make sure that you are covered as you are sailing only in UK waters. Many are automatically assuming that if they have Europe or Worldwide cover with their insurance it covers them but as many are finding out it doesnt.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ataraxia said:

I think you may be confused. The travel insurance will be null and void if you go on a cruise when the government advises against cruising. There is no problem booking the cruises. If you have to cancel the cruise due to unforeseen circumstances you can claim off your insurance even if the advice not to cruise is still in force.

I beg to differ on that.

Whilst FCO restrictions are in force then  most  Travel Insurance will not pay out, until restrictions are lifted even though you have booked. They will expect the Cruise Company to pay you back or a FCC. It does depend when you booked your policy, or if you have continuous renewal. 

see link here re one insurance co. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

Edited by LifeonMars
1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Apologies if this has already been suggested on here as I have just popped in , but have you tried the Post Office Economy? I got an online quote for 68/70 couple with nothing serious for £52.

31 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Have you contacted your bank to make sure that you are covered as you are sailing only in UK waters. Many are automatically assuming that if they have Europe or Worldwide cover with their insurance it covers them but as many are finding out it doesnt.

I am waiting until May or June when hopefully things will have been made more clear by insurance companies and the cruise companies.At the moment people are hearing different things from different companies and even in some cases different people from the same company!We have only paid £50pp deposit for our Sept mini cruise and nearer the time if the bank won't cover insurance we will get some written quotes and decide then

1 minute ago, Scriv said:

Apologies if this has already been suggested on here as I have just popped in , but have you tried the Post Office Economy? I got an online quote for 68/70 couple with nothing serious for £52.

1 minute ago, Scriv said:

No I didnt need to bother in the end because my insurance company covered Seacation/Staycation cruises for Cunard/P&O/Princess. I initially got the quote from HE because my insurance company only initially covered Cunard & P&O and didnt realise that Princess were part of the same company. They eventually after a few days included Princess.

7 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No I didnt need to bother in the end because my insurance company covered Seacation/Staycation cruises for Cunard/P&O/Princess. I initially got the quote from HE because my insurance company only initially covered Cunard & P&O and didnt realise that Princess were part of the same company. They eventually after a few days included Princess.

Glad you are sorted anyway. I am still hanging on to see if my insurer Nationwide Flex Plus and P&O can come to some arrangement between them. I live in hope.

48 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

I beg to differ on that.

Whilst FCO restrictions are in force then  most  Travel Insurance will not pay out, until restrictions are lifted even though you have booked. They will expect the Cruise Company to pay you back or a FCC. It does depend when you booked your policy, or if you have continuous renewal. 

see link here re one insurance co. 

https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

I have read it - it quite clearly says if you choose to TRAVEL against FCO advice then you are not covered. It mentions nothing about booking.

Something everyone is missing - and it was updated in JANUARY 2021....

The UK Gov have for some time ALLOWED UK CRUISES - it is International Travel that is banned and therefore International cruises too.

Therefore Travel Insurance should cover pre-cruise cancellations for UK Coastal cruises.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

[quote]

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office advises against cruise ship travel at this time. This is due to the ongoing pandemic and is based on medical advice from Public Health England.

Cruise ship travel means staying overnight for at least 1 night on a sea-going cruise ship with people from multiple households.

Our advice against cruises applies to international travel on a ship that is exclusively for pleasure or recreation, providing overnight accommodation and other leisure facilities such as entertainment venues or swimming pools.

Our advice does not include ferries or privately-rented boats.

The government will continue to review its cruise ship travel advice based on the latest medical advice.

If you have future cruise travel plans, contact your cruise line, travel operator, or the travel company you booked with, for further advice. For information on cruises in UK waters contact the Department for Transport: 

Maritimeengagement@dft.gov.uk.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office continues to support the Department for Transport’s work with industry for the resumption of international cruise travel.

[unquote]

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Yes they are really ripping people off. I also had a quote from them for an annual multi trip cruise policy at the beginning of March and that was telephone numbers.

They quoted us over £400 for a 7 night Cruise to Nowhere.

Edited by silversurf
Addition
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, silversurf said:

They quoted us over £400 for a 7 night Cruise to Nowhere.

They really want reporting to Financial Conduct Authority with extortionate charges like this.

It really is shocking that P&O/Cunard are giving themselves a bad reputation by recommending Holiday Extras just in the name of commission.

Edited by majortom10

FYI ......just to clarify for some.

hank you for your email. 

The insurance is not necessarily null and void because you booked your holiday at a point where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office or other regulatory authority have advised against all but essential travel. Your cover will depend on the FCDO advice or government advice at the point that you are set to travel or make a claim.

Therefore if you were to book a trip at this point when they are currently advising against travel, but that advice is no longer in place at the time of travel, then cover is in place subject to the general terms and conditions of your policy. 

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Kindest regards,  

Miriam
The CoverForYou Customer Support Team
Tel: 0203 137 8981 I  Email: support@coverforyou.co.uk

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

FYI ......just to clarify for some.

hank you for your email. 

The insurance is not necessarily null and void because you booked your holiday at a point where the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office or other regulatory authority have advised against all but essential travel. Your cover will depend on the FCDO advice or government advice at the point that you are set to travel or make a claim.

Therefore if you were to book a trip at this point when they are currently advising against travel, but that advice is no longer in place at the time of travel, then cover is in place subject to the general terms and conditions of your policy. 

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. 

Kindest regards,  

Miriam
The CoverForYou Customer Support Team
Tel: 0203 137 8981 I  Email: support@coverforyou.co.uk

That response is more worrying than re-assuring lol

The UK Gov DO NOT advise against UK cruises - only International ones.

The problem with some of the customer service staff is that they aren't always up-to-date with what's happening - though having a written response from a company is far better than a verbal telephone chat.

Someone posted the updated Fact Sheets / Endorsements from Cover For You - they are really helpful to have and can be found here - https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

On 3/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, majortom10 said:

Staysure, Avanti and Free Spirit are all way cheaper than All Clear with the quotes for us and Staysure /Avanti offer 15 months for price of 12 months but of course it could be different for everyone's personal circumstances. I havent decided yet which to take I have got to enquire about cancelling my current annual insurance  policy with LV. It expires on 11th Sept and unfortunately we are thinking about doing a Princess Seacation on 9th Sept so current policy wont cover us as it expires half way through so that is why we are looking now for a new policy.

Have you looked at Travel insurance 4 medical? Have used in the past(before covid)seem

competitive.

Anyone have ideas on when to buy insurance for P&O Canada cruise sept 2021(could well be cancelled..). Final payment due 12th May. Thinking of getting insurance around July? Any help would be appreciated

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, Couple-Somerset said:

That response is more worrying than re-assuring lol

The UK Gov DO NOT advise against UK cruises - only International ones.

The problem with some of the customer service staff is that they aren't always up-to-date with what's happening - though having a written response from a company is far better than a verbal telephone chat.

Someone posted the updated Fact Sheets / Endorsements from Cover For You - they are really helpful to have and can be found here - https://www.coverforyou.com/faqs_travel.php#am-i-covered-for-a-cruise

Thanks for the links. After spending several days looking for the best policy I’ve just organised ours with cover for you. Getting a policy with clear coverage for a uk coastal cruise that also covers us if we have to isolate and can’t travel is great peace of mind. We looked at cover with Holiday Extras first as it seemed best to go with P&O’s partner but they don’t cover for isolation. 

Edited by Tilly20
Clarification

Interesting and maybe worth checking and double and triple checking with your insurance provider. I have just been doing an internet search for cruise insurance and on the Travel Insurance 4 Medical site a box jumps up stating the following:

IMPORTANT POLICY UPDATE
Our policies will cover cancellation and curtailment if an insured person named on the policy documentation has a confirmed diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19). You will also be covered for emergency medical expenses if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad.

No cover applies to trips if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advise against travel to your destination. You can read the FCDO's latest advice here. The FCDO is currently advising against ALL cruise ship travel for British Travellers.

If you cancel your policy within 14 days of purchase, you are welcome to a full refund - provided you have not travelled and do not intend to claim. Beyond 14 days you may be entitled to a partial refund. Please check the cancellation terms in your policy wording for details.

In effect they will NOT provide cover for ANY cruise, anywhere for British Travellers!! Be careful and check you really DO have insurance cover.

2 hours ago, bungle66 said:

Interesting and maybe worth checking and double and triple checking with your insurance provider. I have just been doing an internet search for cruise insurance and on the Travel Insurance 4 Medical site a box jumps up stating the following:

IMPORTANT POLICY UPDATE
Our policies will cover cancellation and curtailment if an insured person named on the policy documentation has a confirmed diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19). You will also be covered for emergency medical expenses if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad.

No cover applies to trips if the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advise against travel to your destination. You can read the FCDO's latest advice here. The FCDO is currently advising against ALL cruise ship travel for British Travellers.

If you cancel your policy within 14 days of purchase, you are welcome to a full refund - provided you have not travelled and do not intend to claim. Beyond 14 days you may be entitled to a partial refund. Please check the cancellation terms in your policy wording for details.

In effect they will NOT provide cover for ANY cruise, anywhere for British Travellers!! Be careful and check you really DO have insurance cover.

That won't be the case when these cruises go ahead though. They've already had agreement from the government to restart. 

8 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

That won't be the case when these cruises go ahead though. They've already had agreement from the government to restart. 

I think of it like this, for a cruise from the UK calling only at UK ports or no ports at all consider the ship as a floating hotel. So when hotels are allowed to open - May -17th? - there is no reason to stop home cruises. Of course make sure your insurance covers these cruises, in writing, like the companies mentioned earlier in the topic.

9 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

When I was renewing my annual policy in Dec2020 my insurance company told me that I would be covered for all cruises already booked BUT if after the 1st Jan 2021 I booked a cruise that was on the FCO " ban  list we would not be covered. I asked the question that once the FCO ban was lifted would we then be covered. Their answer was " in that case they would have a look at the claim and make a judgement as to whether we had a claim against them. I still was unsure about the answer so they transferred me to claims department for clarification. Their answer once again was rather " woolly" but yes basically the same....they would judge each case on merit. I have to say that I felt very very unsure as to whether we would be able to claim. I wish they had said that yes...once the FCO ban is lifted on each country then you will have full cover....but they didn't say that.

Also with visiting different countries and maybe some countries still under the FCO ban then the area becomes very unclear that if you have a medical incident which country do you come under....a banned one or a green light one.

1 hour ago, janny444 said:

When I was renewing my annual policy in Dec2020 my insurance company told me that I would be covered for all cruises already booked BUT if after the 1st Jan 2021 I booked a cruise that was on the FCO " ban  list we would not be covered. I asked the question that once the FCO ban was lifted would we then be covered. Their answer was " in that case they would have a look at the claim and make a judgement as to whether we had a claim against them. I still was unsure about the answer so they transferred me to claims department for clarification. Their answer once again was rather " woolly" but yes basically the same....they would judge each case on merit. I have to say that I felt very very unsure as to whether we would be able to claim. I wish they had said that yes...once the FCO ban is lifted on each country then you will have full cover....but they didn't say that.

Also with visiting different countries and maybe some countries still under the FCO ban then the area becomes very unclear that if you have a medical incident which country do you come under....a banned one or a green light one.

I think that would relate more to the cancellation element of the policy rather than medical expenses if you fall ill.