Norwegian Jewel Oct 6, 2021 Panama Canal 15 day

scendro

So I logged into my NCL account today to see if there have been any updates and my cruise on October 6, 2021 (15 day) on the Norwegian Jewel (Panama Canal ocean to ocean) is now showing “Default Itinerary” when I try to see my booked cruise  and  this cruise if no longer listed on NCL’s website.  Does this mean it’s been cancelled?? 

Well I just called NCL and it was cancelled yesterday... I asked if it was because the length of the sailing, or the countries visited or if the ship was being sent to non-US sailings and she said she didn’t know why it was canceled. 

With Alaska cruises not available this year, I've heard other Panama cruises are showing as cancelled too.   Ships won't be on the west coast with a need to re-position through the Canal.   

So sorry for those of you who were booked on these cruises.

20 minutes ago, julig22 said:

They might also have a charter.  Ship seems to be chartered for several weeks once it gets to Miami.

image.png.d7647e102f3c308df5eae0751681ab4d.png

Alaska cruises are still pending at this point, although I'm not holding my breath.

NCL is no longer allowing booking for 2021 Alaska cruises as Canada is not allowing cruise visits.

They have not cancelled all of them yet, but they are no longer available for booking.  

3 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

NCL is no longer allowing booking for 2021 Alaska cruises as Canada is not allowing cruise visits.

They have not cancelled all of them yet, but they are no longer available for booking.  

They are in default itinerary status if you have something booked.  Which means they might cancel.  Or they might change the itinerary should the US decide to suspend the passenger-vessel restrictions.  So no new bookings for now to avoid future cancellation processing. There is always the possibility that Canada will change their current position- we are sending COVID vaccine to Canada, that could help to open up the border. 

What is interesting is that the itinerary for the Sun (as posted on cruisemapper) has a number of holes while still in Alaska, which makes no sense whatsoever.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

They are in default itinerary status if you have something booked.  Which means they might cancel.  Or they might change the itinerary should the US decide to suspend the passenger-vessel restrictions.  So no new bookings for now to avoid future cancellation processing. There is always the possibility that Canada will change their current position- we are sending COVID vaccine to Canada, that could help to open up the border. 

What is interesting is that the itinerary for the Sun (as posted on cruisemapper) has a number of holes while still in Alaska, which makes no sense whatsoever.

One of the Sun trips that is missing is the 9 day from Sept 7 to Sept 16, which we have booked. Since CDC said no cruises over 7 days until Nov, maybe they removed all of the longer ones. Even if Canada opens up, we still have CDC making the 7 day rule.   “Default Itinerary” shows on ours for this one.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Is this the Sun cruise which disembarks in Japan? 

2 hours ago, oregonian123 said:

One of the Sun trips that is missing is the 9 day from Sept 7 to Sept 16, which we have booked. Since CDC said no cruises over 7 days until Nov, maybe they removed all of the longer ones. Even if Canada opens up, we still have CDC making the 7 day rule.   “Default Itinerary” shows on ours for this one.

Good catch, that makes sense, although for some reason the Jewel still shows the 15 day Panama canal cruise that starts and ends in the US. 

I'm also booked on the 9/7 cruise.  I would guess that they will shorten the cruise rather than cancel if the 7 day rule is all that stands in the way.  Sadly, the easiest change would be to eliminate Sitka and I booked specifically for that port, the only one that is new to me.

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Is this the Sun cruise which disembarks in Japan? 

That is still showing.  It's only the US to US trips over 7 days that seem to be missing.

• Like 1

We're booked on the Oct 6 Panama Canal cruise from Los Angeles as well. I happened to look at the sailing last night and noticed it wasn't avail. I did a "Chat" on the NCL site this morning and the agent said the cruise is under a "Voyage Freeze" so reservations can't be booked, modified or canceled. 

I don't know if that's code for "the cruise cancelled but you can't get your refund right now" - or (hopefully) in the next few months things will come together and it will sail. 

It looks like the Jewel is currently positioned in Long Beach (where it's been awhile). And this Oct 6 cruise has been the first one scheduled for it post shutdown. Now the first cruise appears to be Nov 18 out of Miami. It seems like they'd want paid passengers on board as they get the ship to Miami, but cruise lines work in mysterious ways. 

33 minutes ago, markdunn said:

And this Oct 6 cruise has been the first one scheduled for it post shutdown. Now the first cruise appears to be Nov 18 out of Miami. It seems like they'd want paid passengers on board as they get the ship to Miami, but cruise lines work in mysterious ways. 

I'm not booked on the Jewel so can't speak from experience, but it looks as if there are summer Alaska cruises under the "Voyage Freeze" .  On the Sun, the longer cruises have disappeared from cruisemappper but the 5 and 7 day cruises are still listed.  Sadly, my 9 day cruise in September has CDC regulations attached on top of the Canadian and passenger ship rules - but as of now has not been formally cancelled.

image.png.707d7634d0bc4a0e340748d8b46f586f.png

On 3/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, julig22 said:

They might also have a charter.  Ship seems to be chartered for several weeks once it gets to Miami.

image.png.d7647e102f3c308df5eae0751681ab4d.png

Alaska cruises are still pending at this point, although I'm not holding my breath.

These are indeed chartered music festival cruises. Sixthman, which is an affiliate of NCL has these chartered cruises. They also have the Gem, the Pearl and the Jade chartered for a few of their scheduled music festivals at sea this fall and next year. Check out their website for detailed info.  

sixthman.net

We got the letter this morning that our cruise has been cancelled "as a result of fleet redeployment" (although they say cruises "prior to October 6, 2021", I think they mean including Oct 6 cruise). Refund processing in 30 days, 10% FCC, etc.

2 hours ago, markdunn said:

We got the letter this morning that our cruise has been cancelled "as a result of fleet redeployment" (although they say cruises "prior to October 6, 2021", I think they mean including Oct 6 cruise). Refund processing in 30 days, 10% FCC, etc.

Same here, prior to Oct 6. ? Some kind of legal wording or just a mistake?