Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

Just now, Pink-belle said:

I always book directly with cruiselines, it’s my preference.  I’ve done quite well with the additional 25%’s of FCC that have built up.  

I’ve certainly learned my lesson big time booking through TA has given me an enormous amount of grief  I just didn’t realise that it was in their TC too keep all monies we paid to them and then they called the shots as to when you got your refunds eg 90 - 120 days 

18 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I’ve certainly learned my lesson big time booking through TA has given me an enormous amount of grief  I just didn’t realise that it was in their TC too keep all monies we paid to them and then they called the shots as to when you got your refunds eg 90 - 120 days 

Is that legal? Surely the CMA could put an end to that practice? Must check my TC from travel agent, credit card statement showing payment went direct to P and O not travel agent. 

1 hour ago, littlemisshoney said:

Could you tell me what law that is or tell me where to find more info so I can quote correctly please. TA now saying up to 90 days for a refund, I said that was unacceptable, car parking and travel insurance (we were within 14 day cooling off period on annual cover)  refunded immediately. 

Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 and always pay even if only deposit with credit card so you have Section 75 refunds cover. If you already have paid by credit card tell your TA that if you do not receive a refund within 14 days you will go to credit card company. If you do that and they get the money for you they also charge the TA or cruise company extra so they will refund to avoid extra charges. Also remember the 14 days are started from date of cancellation.

There are good and bad TAs which many have found out all for the wrong reasons this last 18 months. We now have an excellent TA that we always use and are excellent in helping you with all issues and they always give extra discount on top of what cruise company charge if you book direct. Also the staff at the TA are very knowledgeable with regards to cruising where customer services at P&O can be very hit or miss you can get differing answers on different days from different staff  and it is even sometimes very hard to even get through to customer services and speak to them by phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Spoken in the past with regards to the issue you are having with your TA and having had issues with them in the past know how difficult they can be. The trouble is that they do not "call the shots" they still have to adhere to the previously mention travel regulations because it is UK law and whether you have paid by credit or debit card I would still contact them to see if they can do anything.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 and always pay even if only deposit with credit card so you have Section 75 refunds cover. If you already have paid by credit card tell your TA that if you do not receive a refund within 14 days you will go to credit card company. If you do that and they get the money for you they also charge the TA or cruise company extra so they will refund to avoid extra charges. Also remember the 14 days are started from date of cancellation.

Thank you, I will get on to that tomorrow.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

No credit card only debit card but we kept rebooking big mistake I will only ever deal directly with p and o from now on

If you book through a reputable TA, you should have no problem.  But using a Debit Card is a big mistake - you gave limited consumer rights - always use a credit card.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Spoken in the past with regards to the issue you are having with your TA and having had issues with them in the past know how difficult they can be. The trouble is that they do not "call the shots" they still have to adhere to the previously mention travel regulations because it is UK law and whether you have paid by credit or debit card I would still contact them to see if they can do anything.

My TA  and I think yours as well majortom, remit the money direct to P&O, and in fact the CC receipt shows it  as being paid to P&O. As a result any money handed over is always with P&O so they handle any refunds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

My TA  and I think yours as well majortom, remit the money direct to P&O, and in fact the CC receipt shows it  as being paid to P&O. As a result any money handed over is always with P&O so they handle any refunds.

Correct that is one of the main reasons I book with them.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Which is my experience as well, and I have no complaints at all about the TA in question.

In fact, I'm always amazed how upbeat the consultants are, considering the difficult circumstances they are working under. Hopefully that is a reflection of  the management philosophy. 

The last time I spoke to a consultant there,  the person in question had been working with the TA for 13 years,  which is a pretty good recommendation for the company concerned. 

With the various comments here I am glad we made the decision not to book a cruise this year and our decision to hold back on future cruises until there is more clarity was a good one. We have holiday booked in friends apartment in Wales in a few weeks which we are looking forward to. 

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Hi thanks majortom and wowzz you have both given me very good advice on how to deal with the problem of refunds I have telephone numerous time to be told the correct department will call me back still waiting and when I email they just send me links to the abta website the  refund time now is almost up so fingers crossed my refund will be paid

Edited by lindylooellalouise
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

So the boarding time is currently “testing” time 😀 the earliest I have heard of is 11:30.  I am sure suites will get the earliest times as usual.  I am in a balcony and have 12:30 if that helps. 

I'm in a suite and our boarding time is 11:30.

What I don't like though is we are thrown off first. I had not thought about that when we booked the suite and it does not suit me as due to a medical issue I'm not good at rushing in the morning.

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

I'm in a suite and our boarding time is 11:30.

What I don't like though is we are thrown off first. I had not thought about that when we booked the suite and it does not suit me as due to a medical issue I'm not good at rushing in the morning.

If there are still further disembarkations after our disembarkation time, we often hang on for longer.  The times allocated seem to just be the earliest you can leave the ship, so usually no problem lying low somewhere and getting off later, though we do not leave it until the very last group.  Problem I find is that the public toilets often close and not always easy finding out which ones are still open when some people have left the ship..

48 minutes ago, tring said:

If there are still further disembarkations after our disembarkation time, we often hang on for longer.  The times allocated seem to just be the earliest you can leave the ship, so usually no problem lying low somewhere and getting off later, though we do not leave it until the very last group.  Problem I find is that the public toilets often close and not always easy finding out which ones are still open when some people have left the ship..

Thank you that is interesting to know. I may do this if required.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes checked my CC statement and money was paid direct to P and O. So will P and O directly refund my card or do they refund TA who then presumably hold onto it and then refund me? Who should I continue to contact TA or P and O who don't seem to have humans on the phone? 

Maybe not ethical but I usually find with any company if you press whichever button to “make a new purchase” they usually answer more speedily. I then explain why I am calling and ask to be put through to the dept I need. Doesn’t always work but worth a try. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Maybe not ethical but I usually find with any company if you press whichever button to “make a new purchase” they usually answer more speedily. I then explain why I am calling and ask to be put through to the dept I need. Doesn’t always work but worth a try. 

Good idea! I’ve been so desperate to get hold of a human being when phoning some companies recently that I’ve been willing to press any button!  

1 hour ago, littlemisshoney said:

Yes checked my CC statement and money was paid direct to P and O. So will P and O directly refund my card or do they refund TA who then presumably hold onto it and then refund me? Who should I continue to contact TA or P and O who don't seem to have humans on the phone? 

In the past, I paid with a credit card, via a major TA. Payment is made directly to P&O. Refund came in the form of a cheque,  directly from P&O. 

You should have a refund option on the cancellation  email you received from P&O  - no need to contact anybody in person.

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Good idea! I’ve been so desperate to get hold of a human being when phoning some companies recently that I’ve been willing to press any button!  

It's fascinating how many companies start off with a warning of how long the wait might be because of covid,  how their staff are working from home and you might hear unfamiliar sounds, then go on to say they are only answering urgent requests from vulnerable customers, plus lots of other pointless comments, then, after listening to 15 minutes of recorded messages, you are connected immediately to a bored employee who won't let you go because you're their first human contact in hours.😉

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well as much has I’ve been angry with P&O this week with 3 cancellations, my Britannia staycation cruise was refunded today back on cc , so very pleased with that so only 3 days . Their stepping in the right direction with me now 😉. Also a refund back for excursions paid for December cruise, so being much quicker than usual.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It's fascinating how many companies start off with a warning of how long the wait might be because of covid,  how their staff are working from home and you might hear unfamiliar sounds, then go on to say they are only answering urgent requests from vulnerable customers, plus lots of other pointless comments, then, after listening to 15 minutes of recorded messages, you are connected immediately to a bored employee who won't let you go because you're their first human contact in hours.😉

“Hello, it’s Donna from Disbury. Thank you for calling P and O Canapé Suggestions. Apologies for the noise here but I deliberately broke my oven and dishwasher so I can get people come and visit me”.

But I did have a lovely chat regarding a query about one our staycations about sourdough making, swapping tips etc..... 

With those dreadful long-winded systems when ringing many commercial companies when you press scores of buttons to hear the option that is “closest” to one that you want, I now also press anything just to speak to anyone and let them put me through to the “right” place.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Sailing on the 27th, Health Declaration completed and my safe to Travel pass received. Subject to further testing of course. 
It’s beginning to feel real now, 3 more sleeps 😀

Ours are completed🤗

Just the packing to do now.

• Like 5