Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

6 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I also did an Alaskan QE cruise that year. I went on deck to see the Hubbard Glacier in full winter clothes and had to take my coat, hat and scarf off it was so warm. I'll never forget it, beautiful scenery. We are doing Iona in August so although there is a risk regarding the weather I'll go for layers, I don't expect to be sunbathing.

You never know what the weather will throw at you, probably why we talk about it so much. Layers is always the way to go, be prepared, hope you enjoy Iona and get great weather, we were scheduled to go to the Fjords on her last year☹️

• Like 1

I did a short cruise about 5 years ago going to Brugge and Amsterdam.  Woke up one morning and it was blazing sunshine, warm enough to sunbath.  I can only presume the ship must have been going in the same direction and speed as the wind.  This was in the North Sea in February!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I did a short cruise about 5 years ago going to Brugge and Amsterdam.  Woke up one morning and it was blazing sunshine, warm enough to sunbath.  I can only presume the ship must have been going in the same direction and speed as the wind.  This was in the North Sea in February!

I did that cruise in February 2018 and we had beautiful deep blue skies but it wasn’t sunbathing weather! When you sit on deck, if you’re in the right place the plastic “screens” that run along the edge can make it very sheltered. The sea was like a mill pond the whole time.

• Like 1

I'm quite excited this morning because Celebrity's summer cruises have been removed from the website, so it looks like an announcement of their new 'round UK' cruises is imminent.  At last 🤸‍♀️💃!

I had a Fjords cruise booked for August and am (very) keen to book a replacement.  I never thought that I would be excited about a cruise around these waters (with stops) would be so attractive to me.  We do lots of foreign independent travel and I'm never happier than when I'm putting together an itinerary but right now, this seems like a relatively safe and easy option. 

• Like 4

MSC now confirming Magnifica will be replaced by the all new (and much sparklier) Virtuosa for their planned UK Sailings. A much bigger ship and she offers The Yacht Club!!

What an exciting time for the UK Cruise industry this last few weeks!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, JP82 said:

Absolutely agree!  Fascinating.

My agent has sent me an email telling me that the new X cruises can be booked from 6th April. Yeah!!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:12 AM, yorkshirephil said:

We were also on an Alaskan cruise in 2019 with Cunard, may even have been the same one. The weather was great, I wore T shirts and shorts every day apart from the day we did the scenic cruise to Hubbard glacier, the wind blowing off the glacier was icy but the scenery was mesmerising, the hot chocolate with a shot of brandy was just the job. Our favourite cruise to date which we have every intention of repeating.

I was there in July 2019. The weather at Hubbard Glacier and then Glacier Bay the following day was cloudy and cool but the 4 day pre-cruise land-tour and the 3 ports of call on the cruise all brought sunshine and about 70⁰.

5 hours ago, JP82 said:

MSC now confirming Magnifica will be replaced by the all new (and much sparklier) Virtuosa for their planned UK Sailings. A much bigger ship and she offers The Yacht Club!!

Very tempting, cruises departing from Southampton, Liverpool and Greenock and AI with grats

I think I may be the only person ever to get a suntan in Zeebrugge harbour in November staying on board Aurora on a 3nighter (me and the captain who was on a walkabout laughed himself silly at my beetroot face) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Seems Marcella are to join the crowded UK waters this summer and sounds like they may be using regional ports, but I do not know the details.  

Also looks like CMV may be resurrected in the form of CVI (run by the same guy) next February.  See CMV section of these boards.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tring said:

Seems Marcella are to join the crowded UK waters this summer and sounds like they may be using regional ports, but I do not know the details.  

Also looks like CMV may be resurrected in the form of CVI (run by the same guy) next February.  See CMV section of these boards.

I thought Marcella was working as an undercover cop in Ireland!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, tring said:

Marcella or Marbella or is it the correct Marella (Star or light of the Sea) . I would consider one of their cruises if I could get a balcony cabin but they really don't like selling those to solo cruisers. A pity as half my total cruises have been with them or Thomson but I have decided a balcony cabin is my choice from now on.

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

Marcella or Marbella or is it the correct Marella (Star or light of the Sea) . I would consider one of their cruises if I could get a balcony cabin but they really don't like selling those to solo cruisers. A pity as half my total cruises have been with them or Thomson but I have decided a balcony cabin is my choice from now on.

I actually thought we had a new cruise line 🤪 but we actually like Marella cruises and we really enjoyed our cruise with them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I actually thought we had a new cruise line 🤪 but we actually like Marella cruises and we really enjoyed our cruise with them.

Same here, we've happily sailed with the 'budget' cruise lines like Marella (Thomson) and Costa. No long waits at the MDR. Marella includes drinks and flights.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, davecttr said:

A pity as half my total cruises have been with them or Thomson but I have decided a balcony cabin is my choice from now on.

My wife is happy to have an inside cabin and spend the savings on long-distance excursions.

I know the chances of a Cov - 19 outbreak on board is slim but the prospect of a lockdown in an inside cabin, would cause an outbreak of claustrophobia in me. For me it's 'no balcony, no go'. Selfish I know but I'm also not a fan of 7 hour excursions 🤢 

12 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

My wife is happy to have an inside cabin and spend the savings on long-distance excursions.

I know the chances of a Cov - 19 outbreak on board is slim but the prospect of a lockdown in an inside cabin, would cause an outbreak of claustrophobia in me. For me it's 'no balcony, no go'. Selfish I know but I'm also not a fan of 7 hour excursions 🤢 

We prefer balcony cabins being an early riser there is nothing better than sitting on the balcony having a coffee in the morning, saying that there was complaints about me sitting out there in my underwear.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We prefer balcony cabins being an early riser there is nothing better than sitting on the balcony having a coffee in the morning, saying that there was complaints about me sitting out there in my underwear.

Blimey, my hubby sits outside in his birthday suit sometimes 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see Royal Caribbean - Anthem of the Seas, have just thrown their hat into the ring also. Along with MSC and Celebrity earlier in the week, there's going to be plenty to choose from now. What fantastic news for Southampton and for everyone who wants to get away.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

I see Royal Caribbean - Anthem of the Seas, have just thrown their hat into the ring also. Along with MSC and Celebrity earlier in the week, there's going to be plenty to choose from now. What fantastic news for Southampton and for everyone who wants to get away.

Waiting to see Disney's UK offering as they are reportedly leaving from Newcastle as well as 3 other UK ports.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Apparently on sale on 7th April for Anthem. Lots of people already booked this summer on Anthem have received their cancellation notifications this morning. My feeling is, although RCI is one of our preferred cruise lines, they have left it a little late in getting in the game for UK sailings. P&O, Princess & MSC (on sale tomorrow), Celebrity (6th April) have beaten them to the start line. Not sure when Disney go on sale. We're looking at MSC (sailed with them before) as they are offering departures from Liverpool which is only a 35 mile journey for us, not the 230 to Southampton.

Edited by peteukmcr

39 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Waiting to see Disney's UK offering as they are reportedly leaving from Newcastle as well as 3 other UK ports.

Great news for another great city. Always make the journey from the south coast to Toon at least once a year. Fantastic place to visit along with the superb coastline of the North East ❣️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Great news for another great city. Always make the journey from the south coast to Toon at least once a year. Fantastic place to visit along with the superb coastline of the North East ❣️

This would be a really interesting choice to try out this cruise line - if - they were demanding full vaccinations for everyone - disappointed they are not although I can understand that with this being a family focussed offering it would be crazy for them to shut out their main demographic