Jump to content

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Can anyone do the maths for me on this one. Let's assume a ship, normal passenger capacity 2500 has been reduced to 1000 for seacation cruises.

According to the following article, the Astra vaccine is 76% effective and increasing to 82% after the 2nd jab.

Q1.Does this mean that 18% of vaccinated passengers, could get infected from one of the crew?

Q2. If all passengers and crew are tested before embarkation, does this reduce the chances of infection to zero?

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-confirms-protection-against-severe-disease-hospitalisation-and-death-in-the-primary-analysis-of-phase-iii-trials.html

There is so much we still do not understand about covid, we are only just learning how the vaccine is working in the general population, more will become apparent as we come out of lockdown. It is not really about the maths or statistics, just because you have been vaccinated doesn't mean you won't get covid regardless of effectiveness even if you have antibodies.  We do not know whether you can be a carrier even if you are not ill with covid, so passengers could still become infected by other passengers. The cruise lines are probably doing the best they can with what they have to reduce the chances of anybody getting infected, however there is always a risk, even if greatly reduced. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

 

You will probably find the chance of infection is similar to getting killed or maimed while travelling to Southampton?

Thanks Dave, that's quite reassuring. I guess the cruise lines will be going overboard with all the cleaning and health protocols in place. Another advantage of the round-Britain cruises, will be the avoidance of air travel, where you're flying in a metal test-tube. I'm not sure how effective the air filters are .. 🤐

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

The cruise lines are probably doing the best they can with what they have to reduce the chances of anybody getting infected, however there is always a risk, even if greatly reduced. 

I think these seacation trips should be free - heck, we're guinea pigs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

I think these seacation trips should be free - heck, we're guinea pigs.

In effect we are all guinea pigs, we are all part of a global clinical trial. Hopefully the result will be positive and we can get back to something like normality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Thanks Dave, that's quite reassuring. I guess the cruise lines will be going overboard with all the cleaning and health protocols in place. Another advantage of the round-Britain cruises, will be the avoidance of air travel, where you're flying in a metal test-tube. I'm not sure how effective the air filters are .. 🤐

The filters in aircraft are basically the same ones that cruise lines are now retro-fitting, so you will now be as safe on a cruise ship as you are in an aircraft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have booked on Sky Princess , 3 nights going nowhere lol.  Great opportunity to sample Princess line.  3 nights of no cooking, no cleaning, no making the bed , being entertained, spending quality time with my husband, dressing up a bit after a year of doing not much  - what's not to like (feel bit guilty having to leave 14 and 17 year old at home, with sitters, as no jabs but only slightly lol) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, peteukmcr said:

Well to add to the choices available Virgin Voyages have now announced 3 & 4 night sailings in August on Scarlet Lady from Portsmouth 

Just received my email for pre launch booking, they go live to public on 13 April. 
 

Adults only, must have had both vaccinations before sailing. Cruises are are 3 or 4 day or can make 7 day by booking back to back. No port being called at,  depart from Portsmouth.

 

Entertainment is from U.K. musicians and artists who have not had the best of years with limited performance opportunities.

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Just received my email for pre launch booking, they go live to public on 13 April. 
 

Adults only, must have had both vaccinations before sailing. Cruises are are 3 or 4 day or can make 7 day by booking back to back. No port being called at,  depart from Portsmouth.

 

Entertainment is from U.K. musicians and artists who have not had the best of years with limited performance opportunities.

 

 

 

 

 

I like the idea of supporting local artists. 

Unfortunately too far away for us  for just 4 days. Shame they didn't do just one cruise of 7 days.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I like the idea of supporting local artists. 

Unfortunately too far away for us  for just 4 days. Shame they didn't do just one cruise of 7 days.   

I thought the same, but it seems they are sticking with their initial plan as Miami sailings on her were going to be 5 days max, and then Valiant would start with 7 days. They may still add one if demand is good I guess. 

Edited by joeecco
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rachiem said:

Do P&O typically have a black tie evening on a three night cruise?

Not sure what to pack for our July sailing (or even if anything fits anymore!!)

I would be surprised if they did with the dining arrangements being changed, not that it matters as there are plenty of places to eat.  Formal nights also restrict the venues casual dressers can use which IMO would not be appropriate on these special cruises. Someone should ask P&O?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rachiem said:

Do P&O typically have a black tie evening on a three night cruise?

Not sure what to pack for our July sailing (or even if anything fits anymore!!)

 

Yes, under pre covid cruises black tie evenings were held on the 2 night cruises too.  No dress codes showing up yet on the planner for our 4 night seacation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

 

Yes, under pre covid cruises black tie evenings were held on the 2 night cruises too.  No dress codes showing up yet on the planner for our 4 night seacation.

And possibly the normal  confusion about which are formal dress venues. I remember P&O listing the Oceana Yacht & Compass as a formal bar. Go on the ship and it was not. P&O list the Glass House on Azura and Ventura as formal venues. Go on the ships (I have) and guess what, they are not formal venues. I think the difficulty with having a formal area is when it is a transit area with lots of informal scruffs tramping back and forth 😉

 

Oops, have I started the fashion wars again 😈

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I would be surprised if they did with the dining arrangements being changed, not that it matters as there are plenty of places to eat.  Formal nights also restrict the venues casual dressers can use which IMO would not be appropriate on these special cruises. Someone should ask P&O?

Sadly on the 3 night Sky Princess now that we have booked and can go to the planner there are no formal nights 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davecttr said:

And possibly the normal  confusion about which are formal dress venues. I remember P&O listing the Oceana Yacht & Compass as a formal bar. Go on the ship and it was not. P&O list the Glass House on Azura and Ventura as formal venues. Go on the ships (I have) and guess what, they are not formal venues. I think the difficulty with having a formal area is when it is a transit area with lots of informal scruffs tramping back and forth 😉

 

Oops, have I started the fashion wars again 😈

I'm afraid me and my family may have been offensive to some or many in the past then Dave - us being some of the " informal scruffs tramping back" to our cabins to get ready to shine in our cruise-appropriate formal evening wear. Perhaps such "scruffs" could transit via the crew areas so as to cause less offence? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2021 at 12:10 AM, wowzz said:

I like the idea of supporting local artists. 

Unfortunately too far away for us  for just 4 days. Shame they didn't do just one cruise of 7 days.   

Virgin Voyages suggest booking a 3 & 4 night sailing to make a 7 night cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Virgin Voyages suggest booking a 3 & 4 night sailing to make a 7 night cruise.

Not a bad idea - I didn't realise they allowed b2b cruises. I wonder if they give a discount? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Virgin Voyages suggest booking a 3 & 4 night sailing to make a 7 night cruise.

 

I received a email from Virgin advertising them has 7 night cruises.

I think the price was 1699 for a basic balcony, personally not booking anything until things are much more settled

Edited by Bloodaxe
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

 

I received a email from Virgin advertising them has 7 night cruises.

I think the price was 1699 for a basic balcony, personally not booking anything until things are much more settled

I would love to try a cruise with Virgin but at that price and with no ports to visit I will probably give it a miss

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I would love to try a cruise with Virgin but at that price and with no ports to visit I will probably give it a miss

Looking at the Virgin 'blurb' it seems that all 20 restaurants don't have an extra additional charge? Is this correct? If yes, then I can't see there being a 'Surf & Turf' restaurant 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we recently booked the 4 night P&O (B113N) in June and although a little expensive for a cruise to no-where I'm hoping the break, will be fun along with a few laughs and some good weather. If your joining this cruise please let me know 🙂  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

 

I received a email from Virgin advertising them has 7 night cruises.

I think the price was 1699 for a basic balcony, personally not booking anything until things are much more settled

If you book a 3 night (£499 for sea terrace) and then 4 night at £599 then total for 7 nights should only be £1098 so not sure why trips would be advertised at £1699.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

If you book a 3 night (£499 for sea terrace) and then 4 night at £599 then total for 7 nights should only be £1098 so not sure why trips would be advertised at £1699.

 

Sorry, just realized I was quoting from a advert for 7 day cruises round trip Portsmouth with some ports later in the Summer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ann141 said:

I would love to try a cruise with Virgin but at that price and with no ports to visit I will probably give it a miss

Me too at that price! After a few drinks you are talking about  £2k pp for 7 days floating about off the south coast. Not for us I'm sorry to say. 

I'm not sure if the Virgin marketing department know exactly who they are targeting with these cruises. They are trying to be "hip" but their pricing is over the top for their target market. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...