Jump to content

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


seapals2
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, dundeelass said:

There is no need to disembark if you are doing back to back cruises. Simply visit Reception to re-register and activate your on board account for the second cruise.

You can of course, disembark in Southampton should you wish, to take in the sights or do a little shopping before returning to the ship and setting sail on your second cruise.

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. just read this on p and o website. dont know what to believe

For these special cruises this summer, you won’t be allowed to stay on board between cruises. 

 

Please, get in touch with your travel agent. The conditions for these summer cruises state that 7 days must elapse before doing another cruise, so it seems you have inadvertently booked something that contravenes these conditions. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Yes, I know.

 

However, the point I am trying ( and it appears failing) to make is about public opinion.

 

If this goes wrong for P&O and an outbreak of the Indian variant is traced back to P&O, I doubt if the explanation ‘seafarers’ would placate the public.

 

I’m not sure if people realise the strength of feeling out there that travel is still permitted from India, and also that, outside cruise circles, cruising is generally not looked on favourably but many people.

 

That’s why anything negative about cruising is jumped on gleefully by the press.  Therefore, if this goes wrong, it will be bad for cruising and P&O.

 

That’s the point I was attempting to make.

 

But I will leave it here, as it is too exhausting  

I agree with you Dermotsgirl. For many out there, cruising is of no consequence, and, playing devil's advocate, non-cruisers reading many of these posts will just see a group of over-privileged, whingeing selfish people with first world problems. The situation in India is desperate. If you have enough money to source and locate a vaccine you may be OK.  If you don't - you die. The level of poverty in India is so high that hundreds of thousands of Indian nationals will have no chance of survival. It's a sobering thought which in my mind trumps worries about the supply of enough staff to service our holidays. Sorry - just my opinion. Jane.x

 

 

 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plenty of Eastern Europeans willing to do the job if needed, however are the cruise companies willing to ride out any criticism? Several of the summer staycation cruise lines are not 'British' so will that make a difference. Again it is the gutter press who will feature the 'Fury At' headlines.

 

I wonder how the government would react? the cruises go ahead or maybe goodbye to the UK based cruise industry and the many thousands of jobs that go with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dundeelass said:

There is no need to disembark if you are doing back to back cruises. Simply visit Reception to re-register and activate your on board account for the second cruise.

You can of course, disembark in Southampton should you wish, to take in the sights or do a little shopping before returning to the ship and setting sail on your second cruise.

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. this is from the website too. so confusing

Dundeelass I agree with Jaydee6969, the info you are quoting is old pre-covid stuff. Send this link to your TA and get them to look at Q18 ref back to backs :-

 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/frequently-asked-questions

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Plenty of Eastern Europeans willing to do the job if needed, however are the cruise companies willing to ride out any criticism? Several of the summer staycation cruise lines are not 'British' so will that make a difference. Again it is the gutter press who will feature the 'Fury At' headlines.

I wonder how the government would react? the cruises go ahead or maybe goodbye to the UK based cruise industry and the many thousands of jobs that go with it?

Similar exemptions to the red list exist for aircrew.  I can see more people complaining about the lack of flights once overseas travel restrictions are eased, than people complaining about aircrew being exempt from the red list.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  No pleasing everyone unfortunately. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dundeelass said:

There is no need to disembark if you are doing back to back cruises. Simply visit Reception to re-register and activate your on board account for the second cruise.

You can of course, disembark in Southampton should you wish, to take in the sights or do a little shopping before returning to the ship and setting sail on your second cruise.

In the interests of safety on board, you will be asked to attend both muster drills at the beginning of each cruise. just read this on p and o website. dont know what to believe

Check here https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape

 

Scroll down to the FAQs and see for yourself.

 

Don't forget if P&O ask you to leave the ship after the first cruise and don't let you back on you can probably forget a refund.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Check here https://www.pocruises.com/ultimate-escape

 

Scroll down to the FAQs and see for yourself.

 

Don't forget if P&O ask you to leave the ship after the first cruise and don't let you back on you can probably forget a refund.

Thanks for that, I couldn’t see that on the website myself for some reason. Youare all correct, I cannot do a back to back. But my ta did book them and p and o sent confirmations too. So I am pretty annoyed to say the least.my ta saying now I can get a refund for one of them .i am furious. This was the first time going p&p too. I’m diamond on Rccl and MSc too and been on over 80 cruises and never had hassle like this.plus being on hold for over an hour has not helped the situation haha.an hour to give a definite answer, is ridiculous 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Dundeelass I agree with Jaydee6969, the info you are quoting is old pre-covid stuff. Send this link to your TA and get them to look at Q18 ref back to backs :-

 

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories/frequently-asked-questions

Thanks you were all correct. My ta made the mistake and  p & 0 sent both confirmations to me. So I was so surprised. Guess ta needs more training. But they have my money. Might not be on any at this rate. Might just hold off till they get into swing and we have an easy way of proof of vaccines too. This is turning into a nightmare. Hate being put on hold for over an hour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dundeelass said:

Thanks for that, I couldn’t see that on the website myself for some reason. Youare all correct, I cannot do a back to back. But my ta did book them and p and o sent confirmations too. So I am pretty annoyed to say the least.my ta saying now I can get a refund for one of them .i am furious. This was the first time going p&p too. I’m diamond on Rccl and MSc too and been on over 80 cruises and never had hassle like this.plus being on hold for over an hour has not helped the situation haha.an hour to give a definite answer, is ridiculous 

Unfortunately (or maybe I should say fortunately) these are not normal times and I guess it is easy for us all. including TAs, to get caught out.

 

I would look at this way, at least it is been caught now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MX-Drew said:

Unfortunately (or maybe I should say fortunately) these are not normal times and I guess it is easy for us all. including TAs, to get caught out.

 

I would look at this way, at least it is been caught now.

True, but it seems still a pain. Flights hotels etc booked.no one taking the blame,ta or p&o,blaming each other.but they have the full payment from me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dundeelass said:

True, but it seems still a pain. Flights hotels etc booked.no one taking the blame,ta or p&o,blaming each other.but they have the full payment from me

"No one taking the blame", that is something that drives me mad. I always say problems happen but it is how they are dealt with is what counts. I personally think the agent is at fault here as it is their duty to know the product they are selling and not rely on P&O who normally do allow B2B so there is no reason for their system to pick it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

OK, not that easy to spot, but certainly not hidden away in the small print. 

I actually wouldn't blame the TA. These are unusual times, and with so many Seacation cruuses now available,  it is difficult to keep track of all the different requirements.

The fault largely lies with P&O,  who should have ensured their booking  process would not allow B2B cruises to be booked,  but as we all know on here,  the P&O IT department is somewhat short of being world class! P&O changed the rules with regards to B2Bs. They should therefore have monitored bookings to make sure this sort of thing could not happen.

 

 

Can I book two UK getaway cruises back to back?

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

Edited by wowzz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Unfortunately (or maybe I should say fortunately) these are not normal times and I guess it is easy for us all. including TAs, to get caught out.

 

I would look at this way, at least it is been caught now.

True, but it seems still a pain. Flights hotels etc booked.no one taking the blame,ta or p&o,blaming each other.but they have the full payment from me

 

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

 

OK, not that easy to spot, but certainly not hidden away in the small print. 

I actually wouldn't blame your TA. These are unusual times, and with so many Seacation cruuses now available,  it is difficult to keep track of all the different requirements.

The fault largely lies with P&O,  who should have ensured their booking  process would not allow B2B cruises to be booked,  but as we all know on here,  the P&O IT department is somewhat short of being world class!

 

 

Can I book two UK getaway cruises back to back?

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

 

OK, not that easy to spot, but certainly not hidden away in the small print. 

I actually wouldn't blame the TA. These are unusual times, and with so many Seacation cruuses now available,  it is difficult to keep track of all the different requirements.

The fault largely lies with P&O,  who should have ensured their booking  process would not allow B2B cruises to be booked,  but as we all know on here,  the P&O IT department is somewhat short of being world class! P&O changed the rules with regards to B2Bs. They should therefore have monitored bookings to make sure this sort of thing could not happen.

 

 

Can I book two UK getaway cruises back to back?

Guests will require a seven day gap between any of the UK getaway cruises. Back to back bookings will not be available.

As the COVID-19 situation evolves our accompanying health protocols are under constant review. Therefore, to ensure we continue to maintain the highest levels of approach, we want to ensure that as we return to sailing each new cruise operates with all guests boarding for the first time, in line with these protocols.

I don't agree with you there, having worked in IT I have some idea of the time and cost etc to implement a fundamental change like this to a booking system. And as many people on here have said, "TAs are paid for that", in other words TAs should handle the the booking process just as the people on the phone at P&O and be up to date with any changes. It is easier to tell a human you can't do that than it is a computer especially when the computer has been programmed to allow it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I don't agree with you there, having worked in IT I have some idea of the time and cost etc to implement a fundamental change like this to a booking system. And as many people on here have said, "TAs are paid for that", in other words TAs should handle the the booking process just as the people on the phone at P&O and be up to date with any changes. It is easier to tell a human you can't do that than it is a computer especially when the computer has been programmed to allow it.

 

OK, fair point. I was, perhaps, a little naive in my understanding of IT issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether it is being naive with IT or not a TA is only an agent acting on behalf of P&O and P&O should not have let it happen so IMO it is them that are to blame not the TA. Having said that it would be interesting to know if the TA is a local independent, national company or a cruise specialist TA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whether it is being naive with IT or not a TA is only an agent acting on behalf of P&O and P&O should not have let it happen so IMO it is them that are to blame not the TA. Having said that it would be interesting to know if the TA is a local independent, national company or a cruise specialist TA.

So if a car dealer sells you car and says it will have 4 doors but when it turns up from the manufacturer the car only has 2 doors by your logic it is the manufacturers fault?

 

Good luck with that one.

Edited by MX-Drew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dundeelass said:

True, but it seems still a pain. Flights hotels etc booked.no one taking the blame,ta or p&o,blaming each other.but they have the full payment from me

 

 

To get this straight, as you booked with an agent, your contract is with the agent.  If P&O have any responsibility to the agent, that is not your problem, but for the agent to claim from P&O.  If nothing is forthcoming you can sue the agent, (or threaten to for a start, making notes etc. of your attempt to recoup your loss, which would be needed in court anyway).

 

Alternatively, if you have paid with a credit card you can make a section 75 claim as your contract is "void for illegality" (I am assuming there that booking a back to back is actually illegal as seems to be a requirement for all the staycation cruises - but could be wrong there).  Otherwise the contract cannot be fulfilled anyway.  The flight and hotel costs would be consequential losses which could also be claimed.  That is probably the best way forward for you, and then it is for your bank to re claim from the agent.  Not your problem beyond that.

 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Whether it is being naive with IT or not a TA is only an agent acting on behalf of P&O and P&O should not have let it happen so IMO it is them that are to blame not the TA. Having said that it would be interesting to know if the TA is a local independent, national company or a cruise specialist TA.

Your contract would be with the TA and it is their responsibility, they should not have sold a product that they could not supply. P&O were in the wrong too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, tring said:

 

 

To get this straight, as you booked with an agent, your contract is with the agent.  If P&O have any responsibility to the agent, that is not your problem, but for the agent to claim from P&O.  If nothing is forthcoming you can sue the agent, (or threaten to for a start, making notes etc. of your attempt to recoup your loss, which would be needed in court anyway).

 

Alternatively, if you have paid with a credit card you can make a section 75 claim as your contract is "void for illegality" (I am assuming there that booking a back to back is actually illegal as seems to be a requirement for all the staycation cruises - but could be wrong there).  Otherwise the contract cannot be fulfilled anyway.  The flight and hotel costs would be consequential losses which could also be claimed.  That is probably the best way forward for you, and then it is for your bank to re claim from the agent.  Not your problem beyond that.

 

I believe the contract is still with P&O, certainly that is how the terms are explained to me, they state "acting as agents for P&O subject to P&Os T&Cs".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe the contract is still with P&O, certainly that is how the terms are explained to me, they state "acting as agents for P&O subject to P&Os T&Cs".

That is correct.

 

This is the statement from my last cruise contract.

 

We act as an agent for Principals/Suppliers. This means that We obtain bookings for and on behalf of Principals/Suppliers. All bookings are subject to the relevant Principal's/Supplier's Terms and Conditions. Details of the Principal's/Supplier's Terms and Conditions are provided in their current published brochure or can be found on their website.

 

Brian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe the contract is still with P&O, certainly that is how the terms are explained to me, they state "acting as agents for P&O subject to P&Os T&Cs".

 

I was just given an explanation of various stages which is quite complicated, but it would still be a case of the agent not "Carrying out the contract with reasonable care and skill", when taking the booking which means the agent is liable for breach of contract, which would be easier to prove than Negligence.  At that stage the agent is acting for the consumer.  Beyond that and in other situations it can vary, for instance when they take the money from the consumer, they are acting as agent for them, but once holding that money they act as agent for the holiday company.  My thoughts are that it is like when you buy a house and your solicitor also acts for the building society, so effectively they have different hats on according to what stage is being dealt with.

 

However, if as I now suspect, the person concerned booked the cruises in Scotland, then the situation can be different as it may be under Scottish law and so she would be better speaking to her Citizen's Advice (like in England and Wales they are contracted to do the initial consumer advice work for Trading Standards).  I will re quote one of her comments about that, though also depends on the agents T&C's as well as possibly P&O's T&C's as to whether the contract was made under Scottish or English law.

 

Regards the credit card situation, (if one was used to pay), that would be the same in Scotland as it would within England and Wales.  Credit card, as I said previously is the easiest way to deal with the situation from a consumer's angle.  It is a good idea for someone to speak to their Citizen's Advice anyway as they can discus their particular situation - but need to contact the section which deals with that as they are properly trained.  

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, BrianI said:

That is correct.

 

This is the statement from my last cruise contract.

 

We act as an agent for Principals/Suppliers. This means that We obtain bookings for and on behalf of Principals/Suppliers. All bookings are subject to the relevant Principal's/Supplier's Terms and Conditions. Details of the Principal's/Supplier's Terms and Conditions are provided in their current published brochure or can be found on their website.

 

Brian

 

Please see my previous comment to terrierjohn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...