Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?

seapals2

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Only for 2 days Major and even then, I am reading a book.  What do you like in the daytime entertainment?  I like to play quoits outside, but bingo and quizzes leave me cold.  I like the odd lecture, but not many of them.

Never played Quoits in nearly 50 cruises and certainly dont do bingo and quizzes. We like to watch films, listen to speakers and read. Cunard's daytime is far superior than P&Os and that is one of the main reasons we veered away from our 3-4 P&O cruises a year and our favourite cruise is roundtrip TA on QM2 and we never get bored during the day.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never played Quoits in nearly 50 cruises and certainly dont do bingo and quizzes. We like to watch films, listen to speakers and read. Cunard's daytime is far superior than P&Os and that is one of the main reasons we veered away from our 3-4 P&O cruises a year and our favourite cruise is roundtrip TA on QM2 and we never get bored during the day.

OK, that makes sense.  I do like to read, but prefer to do it outdoors, because the general crowdedness inside the ship I don't want to be part of.  Like to find a sheltered place and chill out.  Have occasionally been to the cinema.

12 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Everybody is different thankfully or else it would be a funny old world sitting/lying on deck on a sunbed for more than an hour bores me to tears where some love it. Horses for courses.

We don’t need to be entertained constantly to enjoy ourselves, so going on a cruise like this is good for us.

• Like 2

Just now, Bazrat said:

We don’t need to be entertained constantly to enjoy ourselves, so going on a cruise like this is good for us.

Also for us I would have no worries if we book on Princess seacation for a 7day cruise and spent every day at sea or even if at port we more than likely will not book an excursion and stay onboard.

• Like 1

Just now, majortom10 said:

Also for us I would have no worries if we book on Princess seacation for a 7day cruise and spent every day at sea or even if at port we more than likely will not book an excursion and stay onboard.

I don't need to be entertained either as I said I like to be on deck and read, but I do look forward to ports to explore.  Have done a transatlantic, but that was on a US/Canada, so I guess you get into the swing with something to look forward to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

OK, that makes sense.  I do like to read, but prefer to do it outdoors, because the general crowdedness inside the ship I don't want to be part of.  Like to find a sheltered place and chill out.  Have occasionally been to the cinema.

People will be in balcony cabins where you have your own view of the sea. Relaxing outside reading a book, watching the waves, lovely big room. That’s all I need. Would never be in an inside cabin. But I will need better food so will be on Princess. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Pauline likes to read and I just like to chill out. Before my mild heart attack I would pop into the gym daily for 30 minutes and do 2 sets of exercise on all the weight machines.

We usually also spend a lot of time on our own balcony looking out at sea and just relaxing.

On our last cruise on Princess we watched a few films on the outdoor screen including South Pacific.

Sometimes there is football matches shown on TV too.

• Like 1

If we book one, it will be end of August/September and last minute. I won’t be vaccinated until then! More interested in RCI if they announce them as there is more to do on their ships on sea days! 

As we live in Bournemouth, we are happy to spend sunny days at the beach and paddle boarding this summer. We have 2 P&O Caribbean cruises booked for winter, one in November and one over Xmas. If they don’t go ahead, we will probably just book two weeks somewhere tropical that is open to U.K. guests! 

I’m hoping that if they are getting the ships ready for service, they plan to continue the normal itineraries after September. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I think that you are misunderstanding the rules. These are UK only cruises that are permitted under law from 17th May (unless that date changes, which I should think is unlikely), so nobody booking them is travelling against government advice. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

This advice hasn’t changed since the introduction of the latest UK cruises.
I have emailed the link .. will let you know if I get a reply.   

4 minutes ago, seapals2 said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

This advice hasn’t changed since the introduction of the latest UK cruises.
I have emailed the link .. will let you know if I get a reply.   

The advice that you quote was issued in March 2020 at the start of the pandemic and has been superseded by the roadmap out of lockdown. There is no way that any cruise company would be operating cruises in UK waters if it was against government advice. You are worrying unnecessarily based upon out of date information. Keep in mind that these cruises don’t start until after the roadmap dates allow it. They aren’t starting tomorrow!

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The advice that you quote was issued in March 2020 at the start of the pandemic and has been superseded by the roadmap out of lockdown. There is no way that any cruise company would be operating cruises in UK waters if it was against government advice. You are worrying unnecessarily based upon out of date information. Keep in mind that these cruises don’t start until after the roadmap dates allow it. They aren’t starting tomorrow!

Yes .. but booking when they come on sale tomorrow and balance will be due shortly after.  Insurance is to cover all eventualities not all Covid related.  

Just now, seapals2 said:

Yes .. but booking when they come on sale tomorrow and balance will be due shortly after.  Insurance is to cover all eventualities not all Covid related.  

I am at a complete loss as to the point you are making. Perhaps it’s just me? You are correct that any cruises departing before 17th May would be against government advice, but none of them are. We are taking about cruises after this date, which are permitted unless the roadmap dates slip. If the roadmap dates move beyond the date that the cruises are due to start then the cruise operators would have to cancel them, but I think that’s extremely unlikely. People wanting to go on these cruises will be able to get insurance as theses cruises comply with the roadmap. I don’t wish to appear rude, but are you aware of the government roadmap out of lockdown? All your posts seem to imply that you are unaware of it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am at a complete loss as to the point you are making. Perhaps it’s just me? You are correct that any cruises departing before 17th May would be against government advice, but none of them are. We are taking about cruises after this date, which are permitted unless the roadmap dates slip. If the roadmap dates move beyond the date that the cruises are due to start then the cruise operators would have to cancel them, but I think that’s extremely unlikely. People wanting to go on these cruises will be able to get insurance as theses cruises comply with the roadmap. I don’t wish to appear rude, but are you aware of the government roadmap out of lockdown? All your posts seem to imply that you are unaware of it. 

Problem is some people have to much time on there hands, and the next argument will be what if the ship gets attacked by aliens will the insurance cover it.

• Like 3

I think tomorrow morning will be chaos with the Agents that were on the P and O link.  Still trying to work out which one is The Beast!

Just to be on board chilling, with balcony, good food, and a drink or two, plus some entertainment, will suit us just fine for a week.

We hope for September so new protocols are  already tried and tested

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Relaxing outside reading a book, watching the waves, lovely big room.

Well, the weather might have a say in that. And your definition of a lovely big room might differ from mine -  an ordinary balcony cabin can't be considered big !

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Selbourne - your comments are absolutely spot on. There is no way that any cruise company would operate against government advice. Getting insurance is no problem, as the cruises will be operating within government guidelines.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, the weather might have a say in that. And your definition of a lovely big room might differ from mine -  an ordinary balcony cabin can't be considered big !

No not an ordinary cabin. Mini suite and a big balcony so I’m sheltered when I’m sitting out. As I said Princess. 

1 minute ago, Gettingwarmer said:

No not an ordinary cabin. Mini suite and a big balcony so I’m sheltered when I’m sitting out. As I said Princess. 

Sorry, missed your reference to Princess.

Still not convinced that a big balcony is of much use if the weather is not ideal. Hopefully the sun will shine,  and you'll have a great time.

I'm just hoping to spend the same amount per day and have guaranteed sun in the Caribbean in December in an AI resort.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And your definition of a lovely big room might differ from mine -  an ordinary balcony cabin can't be considered big !

Even the full suites aren’t exactly spacious. I know that it’s unfair to compare a cabin on a cruise ship with a hotel, but I was amused that someone likened them to a boutique hotel the other day. They certainly aren’t a patch on any boutique hotels that I’ve stayed in.  I don’t know how many people have stayed in the modern Premier Inn’s, but their bedrooms, bathrooms, standards of equipment and comfort are far superior to that offered in a P&O cabin and if you book in advance you can get them for as little as £30 per night total. Admittedly the views out of the windows aren’t as interesting!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Still not convinced that a big balcony is of much use if the weather is not ideal. Hopefully the sun will shine,  and you'll have a great time.

I'm just hoping to spend the same amount per day and have guaranteed sun in the Caribbean in December in an AI resort.

Do the Royal Princess class of ships have big balconies for their mini suites?  I thought only the few on the hump had bigger balconies, and even then not much bigger, stern wake cabins excepted. 

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

This is how we differ. Don’t want to fly. Sun sometimes too hot. Happy to wrap up on a big balcony. Good food. I think it’s great we don’t all think the same. I’m sure we’d both have a wonderful time. Here’s to it all happening. Yes and to answer somebody else the hump balconies are big. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Even the full suites aren’t exactly spacious. I know that it’s unfair to compare a cabin on a cruise ship with a hotel, but I was amused that someone likened them to a boutique hotel the other day. They certainly aren’t a patch on any boutique hotels that I’ve stayed in.  I don’t know how many people have stayed in the modern Premier Inn’s, but their bedrooms, bathrooms, standards of equipment and comfort are far superior to that offered in a P&O cabin and if you book in advance you can get them for as little as £30 per night total. Admittedly the views out of the windows aren’t as interesting!

...and you don't get fed and entertained either.