Jump to content
,

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


seapals2
 Share

Recommended Posts

I also think it is almost impossible to isolate yourself from the world (unless you have to of course) now things are opening up.

 

My course of treatment has restarted at the Dental Hospital, after 18 months of being on hold, I was there yesterday and will be there again in a fortnight.  DH now having to be on site at work.  So now we aren’t in Lockdown there is an expectation to fulfil obligations.  I think as long as we respect social distancing and masks, we are doing as much as we can. 😊

 

feeling excited like I am on a proper countdown .

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m refusing to allow any announcements that may come next week dampen my mood.  Two weeks today I will be doing my final sweep of the house, disinfectant down the sinks and toilets all those kind of jobs.  
 

Clothes Rail going up in the spare room today, so I can sort our outfit choices ready for packing. Does anyone else do this?  I know it’s only 4 nights so probably not technically needed but I like the routine. 
 

Health Questionaire now appears on the Personaliser but doesn’t need to be filled in until the countdown passes the 72 hour mark.   It asks about your health over the previous 14 days. 
 

Would be lovely to be sailing away today in the glorious sunshine. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I’ll be doing exactly the same as you a week later and so looking forward to it 🤗I’ve just checked in this morning but on mine it says cabin to be allocated when onboard 👍

Really that defeats there online check in where you do everything before arrival doesn’t it.  Have you checked the make a payment page just incase it is there even if it’s not on the personaliser. 
 

Glad I’m not the only one with the little packing routine, I have memories of a normal world, and as half term approached a spare 5 minutes would see me jotting down the starting of a packing list in my work planner.  I’m going in to this blind, and don’t want to check a long range weather forecast incase it says rain 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Really that defeats there online check in where you do everything before arrival doesn’t it.  Have you checked the make a payment page just incase it is there even if it’s not on the personaliser. 
 

Glad I’m not the only one with the little packing routine, I have memories of a normal world, and as half term approached a spare 5 minutes would see me jotting down the starting of a packing list in my work planner.  I’m going in to this blind, and don’t want to check a long range weather forecast incase it says rain 🤣

Yep checked the payment page I don’t really mind where my cabin is located but it’s nice to know in advance so I can get my bearings it usually takes me a couple of days to stop getting lost on board 🤣just about to start checking what toiletries I need, in August 2019 we did around Britain cruise and to be honest the weather was a total mixed bag so I suppose it’s take a bit of everything so pleased that there will be a formal night it’s been sooo long since we were properly dressed up👍

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, although embarrassed to say my existing formals don’t fit due to weight gain ☺️,so have sorted a suitable outfit of separates, I need to practice wearing proper shoes with a bit of a heel.  
 

it might be exciting with a wonderful unexpected upgrade when you arrive. 
 

I’m trying to cut down on toiletries as it’s only 4 nights, as aiming to carry on and off, and I am generally an over packer. With sensitive skin I always feel like I need to cover every eventuality.  Telling myself for 4 nights I could manage anything with a few good basic multi use items. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would anyone know, as the ship sails round the UK coastline, would you be able to pick up a UK mobile signal, or are we best switching onto flight mode to be sure of not getting an unexpected roaming bill.

Hope to be on the Ventura at the beginning of August.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I agree, although embarrassed to say my existing formals don’t fit due to weight gain ☺️,so have sorted a suitable outfit of separates, I need to practice wearing proper shoes with a bit of a heel.  
 

it might be exciting with a wonderful unexpected upgrade when you arrive. 
 

I’m trying to cut down on toiletries as it’s only 4 nights, as aiming to carry on and off, and I am generally an over packer. With sensitive skin I always feel like I need to cover every eventuality.  Telling myself for 4 nights I could manage anything with a few good basic multi use items. 

I keep telling my oh he doesn’t need much as it’s only four days hopefully it will give me more space 🤣we decided only 1 large case and 2 hand luggage should be enough, not expecting any upgrades as it looks like our cruise is fully booked🤗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, edgwaremike said:

Would anyone know, as the ship sails round the UK coastline, would you be able to pick up a UK mobile signal, or are we best switching onto flight mode to be sure of not getting an unexpected roaming bill.

Hope to be on the Ventura at the beginning of August.

Very doubtful, we were caught out with an unexpected bill.  Best to switch to flight mode.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, edgwaremike said:

Would anyone know, as the ship sails round the UK coastline, would you be able to pick up a UK mobile signal, or are we best switching onto flight mode to be sure of not getting an unexpected roaming bill.

Hope to be on the Ventura at the beginning of August.

I thought Ventura was cancelled until at least early September.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I keep telling my oh he doesn’t need much as it’s only four days hopefully it will give me more space 🤣we decided only 1 large case and 2 hand luggage should be enough, not expecting any upgrades as it looks like our cruise is fully booked🤗

Don’t forget fully booked just means to the maximum they can allow, which is nowhere near a full ship. So you could be lucky, they don’t want to tell you as everyone else will be jealous 😁

 

I’m trying to do luggage that we can manage ourselves, 2 rolling suit carriers so can just hang outfits straight up, then an additional smaller rolling item each for everything else. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Glad I’m not the only one with the little packing routine, I have memories of a normal world, and as half term approached a spare 5 minutes would see me jotting down the starting of a packing list in my work planner.  

Any thoughts of a packing routine were severely disrupted when Cunard cancelled our Spain, Portugal trip from Southampton, leaving tomorrow. Ironically it could have gone ahead, although Spain would have meant we self-isolate on return.

 

This QE cruise was a good price at £100 pppn for a balcony. We haven't cruised Cunard before, so we're still think seriously thinking of using our FCCs on a late summer Staycation with them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bertie Doe said:

Any thoughts of a packing routine were severely disrupted when Cunard cancelled our Spain, Portugal trip from Southampton, leaving tomorrow. Ironically it could have gone ahead, although Spain would have meant we self-isolate on return.

 

This QE cruise was a good price at £100 pppn for a balcony. We haven't cruised Cunard before, so we're still think seriously thinking of using our FCCs on a late summer Staycation with them.

Funnily enough we have just booked a QE cruise 19th July, your right good prices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Will ‘non-relaxation’ of lockdown impinge on the seacations?  
I hope not - MSC are operating under the current restrictions, aren’t they?

I hope not.  P&O have always said they will be following Government guidelines at the time of sailing.  So I have every confidence that they are on top of this.

 

The only impact for us sailing is that all their requirements remain in place, as stated at time of booking. whereas some may have been hoping that wasn’t the case. 
 

we haven’t been privy to their booking numbers, so we don’t know if they may need to start looking at Move Over Offers.  I guess time will tell.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Will ‘non-relaxation’ of lockdown impinge on the seacations?  
I hope not - MSC are operating under the current restrictions, aren’t they?

Am I allowed to say MSC are “allegedly”  operating under current restrictions?  I’ve watched a number of Vlogs,  the rules of masks, social distancing and not moving furniture don’t seem to be being enforced onboard.  Plus some posting they didn’t carry out the mandatory daily temperature taking. 
I won’t lie that would stress me out, I am a rules person, that makes life tricky sometimes 😉but I’ve learnt to move on and find more compliant places/people. 
 

it could be said, but they haven’t had infection, but how would we really know? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 8:33 AM, Pink-belle said:

I’m refusing to allow any announcements that may come next week dampen my mood.  Two weeks today I will be doing my final sweep of the house, disinfectant down the sinks and toilets all those kind of jobs.  
 

Clothes Rail going up in the spare room today, so I can sort our outfit choices ready for packing. Does anyone else do this?  I know it’s only 4 nights so probably not technically needed but I like the routine. 
 

Health Questionaire now appears on the Personaliser but doesn’t need to be filled in until the countdown passes the 72 hour mark.   It asks about your health over the previous 14 days. 
 

Would be lovely to be sailing away today in the glorious sunshine. 

I do the same, clothes rail up about 10 days before we go. I like to be organised and know I haven’t forgotten anything 

Michelle 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 10:48 AM, edgwaremike said:

Would anyone know, as the ship sails round the UK coastline, would you be able to pick up a UK mobile signal, or are we best switching onto flight mode to be sure of not getting an unexpected roaming bill.

Hope to be on the Ventura at the beginning of August.

I was on the Virtuosa a couple of weeks ago, I could intermittently pick up UK and French mobile signal, and one night at dinner, even though there was no signal my ring doorbell rang on my phone!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I do the same, clothes rail up about 10 days before we go. I like to be organised and know I haven’t forgotten anything 

Michelle 

This is what you do. Put out all the clothes you need and then have a cup of tea. then put half the clothes back, leave it for a few hours and then put some of the ones left back. Works for me every time. My case for a 14 nighter including a tux weighs less than 16KG 😁

 

for my 7 night staycation I am not doing Celebration or Dress to impress or whatever they call it so what do I need?

2 pairs  casual trousers

2 pairs shorts

about 10 shirts

underwear

socks

hankies

2 pairs trainers

rip tape casual shoes

light fleece

light rain jacket

 

the rest can go in the small backpack

 

might buy a cheapo smaller case ££££

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pink-belle said:

Am I allowed to say MSC are “allegedly”  operating under current restrictions?  I’ve watched a number of Vlogs,  the rules of masks, social distancing and not moving furniture don’t seem to be being enforced onboard.  Plus some posting they didn’t carry out the mandatory daily temperature taking. 
I won’t lie that would stress me out, I am a rules person, that makes life tricky sometimes 😉but I’ve learnt to move on and find more compliant places/people. 
 

it could be said, but they haven’t had infection, but how would we really know? 

 

In terms of taking temperature, we ate at the main dining room for every meal. Temperature wasn't taken at every single meal, but it was taken most times and at least one meal a day. There was a lovely lady who stood out there, was obviously her job for that particular cruise! 

We went to the buffet once, just to look round, and it was also taken there. So I guess technically you could have missed it for the day if you were fortunate enough to go for the odd times they weren't taking it, but I would say it would be fairly unlikely not to have it taken at least once a day.

We didn't witness anyone being told off/challenged about not wearing a mask, but a woman kicked off on the FB group relating to our particular group claiming she had been discriminated against as she was wearing an exemption lanyard but had been 'shouted at' several times apparently. Given that there aren't supposed to be any exemptions to mask wearing on these cruises I'm not too sure what the actual true story is there.

Social distancing, no, I was surprised to see from some of the bloggers pictures of them all sat together in big groups with no social distancing. It seems to be like people have given up on it to be honest, which is annoying for those of us who are actually trying to follow the rules. I anticipate that there will be similar problems on any cruises, you can only imagine a poor staff member trying to challenge a group who might have moved sun loungers together and getting a mouthful of abuse. As a couple, we just did our own thing, and we didn't have anyone get in our space, which was good.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for this, it is what I had seen online, I can’t remember the vloggers who said about lack of temperature testing, but they could have been late risers, that sort of rings a bell, and missed the morning checks, 

 

Like you, I will just move to areas I feel more comfortable if I need to.  I know my own “issues”  

 

had/if the restrictions been relaxed today it would probably have caused me more worries.  Although my sound sensible head would have said, this is great, the scientists have assessed the risk to be low.  Every other bit of me would be shouting too close too close 🥴😀
 

Glad I went ahead and ordered those additional mask now.

8 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

 

In terms of taking temperature, we ate at the main dining room for every meal. Temperature wasn't taken at every single meal, but it was taken most times and at least one meal a day. There was a lovely lady who stood out there, was obviously her job for that particular cruise! 

We went to the buffet once, just to look round, and it was also taken there. So I guess technically you could have missed it for the day if you were fortunate enough to go for the odd times they weren't taking it, but I would say it would be fairly unlikely not to have it taken at least once a day.

We didn't witness anyone being told off/challenged about not wearing a mask, but a woman kicked off on the FB group relating to our particular group claiming she had been discriminated against as she was wearing an exemption lanyard but had been 'shouted at' several times apparently. Given that there aren't supposed to be any exemptions to mask wearing on these cruises I'm not too sure what the actual true story is there.

Social distancing, no, I was surprised to see from some of the bloggers pictures of them all sat together in big groups with no social distancing. It seems to be like people have given up on it to be honest, which is annoying for those of us who are actually trying to follow the rules. I anticipate that there will be similar problems on any cruises, you can only imagine a poor staff member trying to challenge a group who might have moved sun loungers together and getting a mouthful of abuse. As a couple, we just did our own thing, and we didn't have anyone get in our space, which was good.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This is what you do. Put out all the clothes you need and then have a cup of tea. then put half the clothes back, leave it for a few hours and then put some of the ones left back. Works for me every time. My case for a 14 nighter including a tux weighs less than 16KG 😁

 

for my 7 night staycation I am not doing Celebration or Dress to impress or whatever they call it so what do I need?

2 pairs  casual trousers

2 pairs shorts

about 10 shirts

underwear

socks

hankies

2 pairs trainers

rip tape casual shoes

light fleece

light rain jacket

 

the rest can go in the small backpack

 

might buy a cheapo smaller case ££££

I am not too bad at the amount I take, I think about what outfit I am going to wear each evening and plan around that. My hubby is worse than me, when we went on a TA I ironed 23 shirt for him to take plus T-shirt’s 

Michelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Thank you for this, it is what I had seen online, I can’t remember the vloggers who said about lack of temperature testing, but they could have been late risers, that sort of rings a bell, and missed the morning checks, 

 

Like you, I will just move to areas I feel more comfortable if I need to.  I know my own “issues”  

 

had/if the restrictions been relaxed today it would probably have caused me more worries.  Although my sound sensible head would have said, this is great, the scientists have assessed the risk to be low.  Every other bit of me would be shouting too close too close 🥴😀
 

Glad I went ahead and ordered those additional mask now.

 

on the virtuosa my daughter and I had our temps taken at breakfast in the buffet and the dining room for our evening meal - we didn't see  any people not wearing masks indoors - i believe if you were travelling in the same group, even if you were in multiple cabins it was permitted for you to sit together,  I heard a staff member tell a larger group that as they were together they didn't need to distance from each other. TBH the ship felt very safe, I was never stood in a queue, there were even more hand sanitiser/washing stations than usual - and of course most of us were vaccinated and we were all tested, and we had track and trace bracelets on our wrists should a problem arise.  Enjoy your cruise!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...