Jump to content

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


seapals2
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thank you for this, it is what I had seen online, I can’t remember the vloggers who said about lack of temperature testing, but they could have been late risers, that sort of rings a bell, and missed the morning checks, 

 

Like you, I will just move to areas I feel more comfortable if I need to.  I know my own “issues”  

 

had/if the restrictions been relaxed today it would probably have caused me more worries.  Although my sound sensible head would have said, this is great, the scientists have assessed the risk to be low.  Every other bit of me would be shouting too close too close 🥴😀
 

Glad I went ahead and ordered those additional mask now.

8 minutes ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

 

In terms of taking temperature, we ate at the main dining room for every meal. Temperature wasn't taken at every single meal, but it was taken most times and at least one meal a day. There was a lovely lady who stood out there, was obviously her job for that particular cruise! 

We went to the buffet once, just to look round, and it was also taken there. So I guess technically you could have missed it for the day if you were fortunate enough to go for the odd times they weren't taking it, but I would say it would be fairly unlikely not to have it taken at least once a day.

We didn't witness anyone being told off/challenged about not wearing a mask, but a woman kicked off on the FB group relating to our particular group claiming she had been discriminated against as she was wearing an exemption lanyard but had been 'shouted at' several times apparently. Given that there aren't supposed to be any exemptions to mask wearing on these cruises I'm not too sure what the actual true story is there.

Social distancing, no, I was surprised to see from some of the bloggers pictures of them all sat together in big groups with no social distancing. It seems to be like people have given up on it to be honest, which is annoying for those of us who are actually trying to follow the rules. I anticipate that there will be similar problems on any cruises, you can only imagine a poor staff member trying to challenge a group who might have moved sun loungers together and getting a mouthful of abuse. As a couple, we just did our own thing, and we didn't have anyone get in our space, which was good.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, davecttr said:

This is what you do. Put out all the clothes you need and then have a cup of tea. then put half the clothes back, leave it for a few hours and then put some of the ones left back. Works for me every time. My case for a 14 nighter including a tux weighs less than 16KG 😁

 

for my 7 night staycation I am not doing Celebration or Dress to impress or whatever they call it so what do I need?

2 pairs  casual trousers

2 pairs shorts

about 10 shirts

underwear

socks

hankies

2 pairs trainers

rip tape casual shoes

light fleece

light rain jacket

 

the rest can go in the small backpack

 

might buy a cheapo smaller case ££££

I am not too bad at the amount I take, I think about what outfit I am going to wear each evening and plan around that. My hubby is worse than me, when we went on a TA I ironed 23 shirt for him to take plus T-shirt’s 

Michelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Thank you for this, it is what I had seen online, I can’t remember the vloggers who said about lack of temperature testing, but they could have been late risers, that sort of rings a bell, and missed the morning checks, 

 

Like you, I will just move to areas I feel more comfortable if I need to.  I know my own “issues”  

 

had/if the restrictions been relaxed today it would probably have caused me more worries.  Although my sound sensible head would have said, this is great, the scientists have assessed the risk to be low.  Every other bit of me would be shouting too close too close 🥴😀
 

Glad I went ahead and ordered those additional mask now.

 

on the virtuosa my daughter and I had our temps taken at breakfast in the buffet and the dining room for our evening meal - we didn't see  any people not wearing masks indoors - i believe if you were travelling in the same group, even if you were in multiple cabins it was permitted for you to sit together,  I heard a staff member tell a larger group that as they were together they didn't need to distance from each other. TBH the ship felt very safe, I was never stood in a queue, there were even more hand sanitiser/washing stations than usual - and of course most of us were vaccinated and we were all tested, and we had track and trace bracelets on our wrists should a problem arise.  Enjoy your cruise!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 8:33 AM, Pink-belle said:

Health Questionaire now appears on the Personaliser but doesn’t need to be filled in until the countdown passes the 72 hour mark.   It asks about your health over the previous 14 days. 

Hi Pink-belle, how do you find everything before it appears for others? 🤣

 

No health questionnaire appears for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Hi Pink-belle, how do you find everything before it appears for others? 🤣

 

No health questionnaire appears for me.

😊 Well, it was easy yesterday, I just followed the link in the email I received from P&O and logged in, that doesn’t work today though, I just get dashes and symbols.
Nothing unexpected on it, think of the usual questionaire completed at the terminal, but this is a bit longer based on 14 days and about respiratory  symptoms  and Corona symptoms, self isolation, tests and contacts. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

😊 Well, it was easy yesterday, I just followed the link in the email I received from P&O and logged in, that doesn’t work today though, I just get dashes and symbols.
Nothing unexpected on it, think of the usual questionaire completed at the terminal, but this is a bit longer based on 14 days and about respiratory  symptoms  and Corona symptoms, self isolation, tests and contacts. 
 

 

No problem, I was just printing everything off while the printer still had ink in it after the wife has been using it for work. One downside of working from home, I have to pay for her company's printing.🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

No problem, I was just printing everything off while the printer still had ink in it after the wife has been using it for work. One downside of working from home, I have to pay for her company's printing.🤣

80% of my work arrives and leaves by email.  I’m astounded by how much ink the other 20% takes. 
 

I’m thinking it was a fill out online rather than a printable page.  Though you may chose to print it for your records. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

No problem, I was just printing everything off while the printer still had ink in it after the wife has been using it for work. One downside of working from home, I have to pay for her company's printing.🤣

You might be able to claim it and additional costs back via HMRC

 

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2020/04/martin-lewis--working-from-home-due-to-coronavirus--claim-p6-wk-/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

80% of my work arrives and leaves by email.  I’m astounded by how much ink the other 20% takes. 
 

I’m thinking it was a fill out online rather than a printable page.  Though you may chose to print it for your records. 

I think it says you have to take it with you.

 

Just checked and it says "present this at the terminal (this can be printed or via your mobile)."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I think it says you have to take it with you.

 

Just checked and it says "present this at the terminal (this can be printed or via your mobile)."


Im printing mine off and taking it in , I found it on my cruise personaliser , I’ve been double checking everything today insurance wise , I have two insurance companies if one fails hopefully the other will be ok 😁 packed and repacked and repacked again , I’ve not got enough or I’ve got to much clothes, tried on my new evening dress which fitted lovely last October, but a bit tight on me now so not a good day for me today, strict diet now , been dieting for 5 weeks and only lost 7lb it’s certainly taking longer , other half has lost over a stone and his trousers are falling of him , 😡 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, Ladyshopper23 said:

Temperature wasn't taken at every single meal, but it was taken most times and at least one meal a day.

As an individual's temperature has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you have CV19,  taking of temperatures is of absolutely no use whatsoever !

Just another case of appearing to do something so people feel reassured, but in reality,  absolutely useless  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As an individual's temperature has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you have CV19,  taking of temperatures is of absolutely no use whatsoever !

Just another case of appearing to do something so people feel reassured, but in reality,  absolutely useless  

According to the NHS website, a high temperature is one of the three main symptoms!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

According to the NHS website, a high temperature is one of the three main symptoms!

OK, let me rephrase that

Contactless thermometers are notoriously inaccurate other than in clinical surroundings 

https://sea.mashable.com/science/10602/infrared-thermometers-arent-accurate-so-dont-panic-if-your-temperature-is-abnormal

And if you are asymptomatic you don't always develop a temperature 

https://www.businessinsider.com/temperature-checks-flawed-coronavirus-cases-asymptomatic-no-fever-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

So, really, all this pantomime of taking your temperature is just for show.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’ll stick to the NHS website! 

I'm just saying that a contactless thermometer is basically a random number generator. You might just as well use ERNIE to guess your temperature !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:


Im printing mine off and taking it in , I found it on my cruise personaliser , I’ve been double checking everything today insurance wise , I have two insurance companies if one fails hopefully the other will be ok 😁 packed and repacked and repacked again , I’ve not got enough or I’ve got to much clothes, tried on my new evening dress which fitted lovely last October, but a bit tight on me now so not a good day for me today, strict diet now , been dieting for 5 weeks and only lost 7lb it’s certainly taking longer , other half has lost over a stone and his trousers are falling of him , 😡 

Well done on losing the 7lbs 🙂. You are ahead of the game now, I have a pile of ironing to get through, I still have to whittle down my possible outfits.  Need DH to chose his trousers and shorts.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I'm just saying that a contactless thermometer is basically a random number generator. You might just as well use ERNIE to guess your temperature !

So you say now, and you might well be right, but that’s not what you said originally - i.e that there was no point in taking one’s temperature at all and that a high temperature has no bearing on whether or not you have Covid. 
And what makes a contactless thermometer suddenly accurate in clinical surroundings I wonder? Surely the same model should work anywhere. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Purdey16 said:


Im printing mine off and taking it in , I found it on my cruise personaliser , I’ve been double checking everything today insurance wise , I have two insurance companies if one fails hopefully the other will be ok 😁 packed and repacked and repacked again , I’ve not got enough or I’ve got to much clothes, tried on my new evening dress which fitted lovely last October, but a bit tight on me now so not a good day for me today, strict diet now , been dieting for 5 weeks and only lost 7lb it’s certainly taking longer , other half has lost over a stone and his trousers are falling of him , 😡 

I can't find the health questionnaire on my cruise personaliser. As for dieting, well done on your loss. I have been on a diet for about 5 weeks, I don't weigh myself I just go on inches and not a lot has come off.🥵

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

The health questionnaire is located on the tab  "Before you sail" under health declaration but is not available until 3 days before you sail.  You have 2 days to complete it.

It seems as if it appeared for some of us “early” now hidden again from me 🙂

MX keeps missing out on the glitches party 🥳🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I can't find the health questionnaire on my cruise personaliser. As for dieting, well done on your loss. I have been on a diet for about 5 weeks, I don't weigh myself I just go on inches and not a lot has come off.🥵

 

I don't know whether it's out of print now but the docs and dieticians at NASA had a problem when the decision was made to send engineers, mineralogists etc., into space A fast exercise regime was discounted (huzzah) as most were overweight.

 

They found the safest and quickest method, was to shift the calories from evenings to morning and noon, due to the fact that your body isn't burning many calories when you're asleep. I've dropped the evening meal in exchange for a tin of mackerel with salad and some fruit yoghurt. Main meal is midday but no pudding. Wake up ravenous, so porridge, bread roll with egg.

 

I've lost 4 Kg in 4 months and 3" around the waist. Mind you, this only works if you're retired 😇.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

 

I don't know whether it's out of print now but the docs and dieticians at NASA had a problem when the decision was made to send engineers, mineralogists etc., into space A fast exercise regime was discounted (huzzah) as most were overweight.

 

They found the safest and quickest method, was to shift the calories from evenings to morning and noon, due to the fact that your body isn't burning many calories when you're asleep. I've dropped the evening meal in exchange for a tin of mackerel with salad and some fruit yoghurt. Main meal is midday but no pudding. Wake up ravenous, so porridge, bread roll with egg.

 

I've lost 4 Kg in 4 months and 3" around the waist. Mind you, this only works if you're retired 😇.

 

Well done. 👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, after answering numerous queries from customers this week assuring them that they had continued to only book 1000 passengers per cruise until the restrictions were actually lifted, MSC have just sent this out:

 

Here' the latest from MSC

MSC CRUISES OFFERS GUESTS IMPACTED BY CONTINUING CRUISE CAPACITY RESTRICTIONS FOR MSC VIRTUOSA SAILINGS IN THE UK ALTERNATIVE BOOKING OPTIONS

Sailings to visit some of the UK’s favourite destinations to remain limited to 1,000 guests onboard until 19 July

London, UK - 16 June 2021 – MSC Cruises is disappointed that it has been necessary for the Government to delay the planned easing of COVID restrictions in England and maintain the current capacity restrictions on certain indoor venues, which limit our cruise ship to operating with a maximum of 1,000 guests onboard at any given time. This comes following the position announced last week by the Scottish Government that cruise calls in Scotland are only recommended to begin once all areas are designated as Level 1 of its COVID restrictions.

Like all of the UK, the Company had fully expected that most restrictions would be removed from 21 June onwards and so was ready to host more than 1,000 guests on its flagship, MSC Virtuosa, under the safety of its industry leading health and safety protocol, which includes repeated universal testing at embarkation and during cruises.

However, as this capacity restriction is expected to continue to apply until 19 July, MSC Cruises regrets that a number of UK guests who have booked a cruise departing after 21 June but before 19 July may need to be assisted to rebook on a sailing departing after the restriction is removed. Whilst still seeking further clarifications from the relevant authorities and continuing to monitor for developments, the Company will initially begin by contacting those affected guests due to embark between 23 June and 26 June.

MSC Cruises has adopted a fair criterion based on the earlier date of booking so that the first 1,000 guests will maintain their bookings, and it can be assured that guests booked on sailings prior to the 21 June are unaffected entirely. In addition to a variety of rebooking options, guests will be offered the option of a refund. More details will be available shortly on msccruises.co.uk and through the MSC Cruises’ contact centre or its travel agent partners.

MSC Cruises looks forward to the eventual easing of COVID restrictions in the UK so cruising can play a bigger role in the vital restart of British tourism and its contribution to the economy, and it can offer more UK residents that safe and richly deserved holiday option this summer.

-ENDS-

Begs the question, have P&O and indeed the other cruise lines due to start soon done the same? I really hope not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh My Lady Shopper, have you another cruise booked with MSC that is affected? 

 

I think their message has an odd tone, it was never definite, but certainly hoped for, that restrictions would be eased or lifted with effect from the 21st June.  However, I think most people would have realised 3 or so weeks ago that was very unlikely to happen. 
 

in my experience all cruise lines overbook, just like airlines to cover the last minute cancellations and no shows.  Previously, this has resulted in Move over offers rather than a sorry, last in first off,  type approach.  But I guess terms and conditions have changed so much over the last year we don’t really know what will happen. 
 

Thank you for sharing here, I guess we now wait and see…..

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...