Jump to content

Who has decided to take a summer staycation cruise?


seapals2
 Share

Recommended Posts

We’re a 3 hour drive away from Southampton and although we’ve got a late check in we’re going to set off early just to be on the safe side.

We can always go for lunch somewhere nearby.

I just wondered though, if we got to the terminal before our check in time would they let us on or make us wait in the terminal building?
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Med said:

We’re a 3 hour drive away from Southampton and although we’ve got a late check in we’re going to set off early just to be on the safe side.

We can always go for lunch somewhere nearby.

I just wondered though, if we got to the terminal before our check in time would they let us on or make us wait in the terminal building?
 

 

Our check in is at 1.45. We will arrive as close as we can to 1.45. If the traffic is kind and we get to Southampton early, we will sit in the park , have a coffee and watch the ships and leave to arrive at the mayflower terminal at 1.45. If everyone decides to arrive when they feel like it ,things may get a little chaotic. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Med said:

We’re a 3 hour drive away from Southampton and although we’ve got a late check in we’re going to set off early just to be on the safe side.

We can always go for lunch somewhere nearby.

I just wondered though, if we got to the terminal before our check in time would they let us on or make us wait in the terminal building?
 

 

Interesting point.  Does anyone know whether Caribean + tier status pax still had priority boarding or did they have to stick with their allocated time?

 

We're hotelling it the night before and going by train, so will be getting booted out 12:00 at the latest and going straight to the terminal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Interesting point.  Does anyone know whether Caribean + tier status pax still had priority boarding or did they have to stick with their allocated time?

 

We're hotelling it the night before and going by train, so will be getting booted out 12:00 at the latest and going straight to the terminal.

We are Caribbean tier and our check in time was 2.45.  After testing etc we got to terminal building about 12.30 where we sat waiting for the test results (20 mins).  After getting the all clear we were sent straight through to check-in.  Once checked in we went to another holding area and were then boarding at about 1.15.  As others have said boarding for everyone didn't start until just after 1pm.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thornegirl said:

We are Caribbean tier and our check in time was 2.45.  After testing etc we got to terminal building about 12.30 where we sat waiting for the test results (20 mins).  After getting the all clear we were sent straight through to check-in.  Once checked in we went to another holding area and were then boarding at about 1.15.  As others have said boarding for everyone didn't start until just after 1pm.

Thank for posting.  Very helpful.  Did you still get the Welcome on Board lunch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thank for posting.  Very helpful.  Did you still get the Welcome on Board lunch?

Yes we did get the Welcome on board lunch, but there was no invitation in our cabin so we just went down to the Peninsular restaurant.  The food was delicious and so was the free wine.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

Yes we did get the Welcome on board lunch, but there was no invitation in our cabin so we just went down to the Peninsular restaurant.  The food was delicious and so was the free wine.

Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Remember to not eat or drink for 30 minutes before your lateral flow test.

Never heard of that one before is there a reason. Makes our plan to go for breakfast in a pub before boarding a bit awkward.

 

Edited by majortom10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never heard of that one before is there a reason. Makes our plan to go for breakfast in a pub before boarding a bit awkward.

 

It may be tosh, but I was told similar and that school kids have hit in the Orange juice scam. Drink Orange juice before the test, get a positive, 2 weeks off school.🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It may be tosh, but I was told similar and that school kids have hit in the Orange juice scam. Drink Orange juice before the test, get a positive, 2 weeks off school.🤔

are they drinking it or putting it straight into orange juice

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Never heard of that one before is there a reason. Makes our plan to go for breakfast in a pub before boarding a bit awkward.

 

It is in the NHS "Your step-by-step guide for COVID-19 self-testing", page 6. Apparently eating or drinking can spoil the test result.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thornegirl said:

We are Caribbean tier and our check in time was 2.45.  After testing etc we got to terminal building about 12.30 where we sat waiting for the test results (20 mins).  After getting the all clear we were sent straight through to check-in.  Once checked in we went to another holding area and were then boarding at about 1.15.  As others have said boarding for everyone didn't start until just after 1pm.

Do you know what happens for those who arrive by taxi rather than private car.We are travelling to Southampton by train and then will get a taxi to the port .Normally the taxi drops us off where our bags are taken and we go into the terminal building.Presumably we can't go into the terminal building until after we have been tested?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were speaking to a couple on our cruise who arrived by taxi and they went straight to Ocean terminal. They were tested there.

I noticed when we were going into the terminal building they were asking if you had been tested and noticed that some people were going in a different area, which I assume were the ones who needed testing.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you use cps parking you are tested at Mayflower Terminal and you have to put a white v=band around your wrist so whwen you arrive at Ocean Terminal they can see you have been tested. People who are tested at Ocean are sent to a separate area for the test

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, ann141 said:

Do you know what happens for those who arrive by taxi rather than private car.We are travelling to Southampton by train and then will get a taxi to the port .Normally the taxi drops us off where our bags are taken and we go into the terminal building.Presumably we can't go into the terminal building until after we have been tested?

There is a walk-in testing area immediately inside the terminal before you go upstairs to check-in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

There is a walk-in testing area immediately inside the terminal before you go upstairs to check-in. 

Thank you  🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Apparently you have to upload a photo, any special requirements for it

I took ours with a phone with our back to a plain, light-coloured, wall, shoulders and head only, facing the camera... seemed to work. There are other restrictions such as regarding spectacles. You get a full list when you go to upload yours but there is nothing there that would be difficult for anyone. Just do it like a passport photo is the best way to describe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 3:04 PM, majortom10 said:

Never heard of that one before is there a reason. Makes our plan to go for breakfast in a pub before boarding a bit awkward.

 

Just go to a pub a 30 minute walk away... Sorted... 😊

Andy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 days to go before we board.

 

Cant wait to get bcak cruising albeit a very short one. (shame we cant visit anywhere).

Really cant complain though looking at the forecast for the next week😎😎😎😎

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, kevcharben said:

2 days to go before we board.

 

Cant wait to get bcak cruising albeit a very short one. (shame we cant visit anywhere).

Really cant complain though looking at the forecast for the next week😎😎😎😎

You should get the best weather. We go on Thursday. It doesn't look quite as good, but don't really care as we have another one a few weeks later. I saw they were doing a 15% off deal for booking on board, so Iona in early September may be on. As you will see We don't find these cruises to nowhere particularly appealing.🤣🛳️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Apparently you have to upload a photo, any special requirements for it

 

You can opt to have your photo done at the terminal, you do not have to upload one.  We have done this, will see how it goes on Thursday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...