Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Ok so I have to get a haircut, have my roots done (every 5 weeks)

Get a manicure (I have acrylic) every 2-3 weeks, and a pedicure once a month. How do you all handle this? I imagine it is very expensive on board. Longest trip we've been on is 28 days so I only needed to get my nails done once.

Any ideas ?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used the shipboard services, charging against on board credit, as well as places on land ... especially in ports we’ve been to before.  In some countries it’s easier ... in some countries an advance appointment is necessary.  I do my research before the cruise and call the salon to see if I can walk in or if appointments are necessary.  I do change my grooming schedule when traveling for extensive periods so that I can take care of everything on the same day ... at least for mani/pedis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, floridababa said:

Ok so I have to get a haircut, have my roots done (every 5 weeks)

Get a manicure (I have acrylic) every 2-3 weeks, and a pedicure once a month. How do you all handle this? I imagine it is very expensive on board. Longest trip we've been on is 28 days so I only needed to get my nails done once.

Any ideas ?  

 

Personally, I get a haircut once about the middle of the 4 months. Not wanting to wast time ashore, I use our generous OBC at the ship's spa.

 

DW gets a couple of haircuts, nails (monthly)and a few other things, all onboard at the spa. Paid for with OBC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A male "speaking":   my hair-cuts are done by the ship's spa staff and have always been well done.  Some men whom I have met on long cruises will find a barber shop ashore at a port and get their hair-cut there.  I am not comfortable in doing that.  On my most recent cruise, I booked a mini-facial/with shave.  Never had done that before and enjoyed it so much that I booked another one a couple of days before disembarking.  

 

Nails?  I do them myself.  Toenails:  I will need to see my podiatrist soon after I return from my holiday.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

I’ve used the shipboard services, charging against on board credit, as well as places on land ... especially in ports we’ve been to before.  In some countries it’s easier ... in some countries an advance appointment is necessary.  I do my research before the cruise and call the salon to see if I can walk in or if appointments are necessary.  I do change my grooming schedule when traveling for extensive periods so that I can take care of everything on the same day ... at least for mani/pedis.

How do I find out if there are places near the port?

Link to post
Share on other sites

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I often combine land travel with transocean cruises to either get there or get back.  We have had luck finding local barbers and hair stylists in foreign countries by asking hotel staff or the Google.  Of our more memorable cuts,  I got a haircut in a barber shop in the souk in Istanbul and SWMBO got a very nice cut in Darwin.  It's a great way to chat up a locals and they always seem to be tickled to find an American in their chair.  Plus, if the timing is right, they can point you to a nice, little out of the way spot for lunch.

 

More fun than a ship's excursion marching to the clock and only going where the tour buses can park.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, floridababa said:

How do I find out if there are places near the port?

What Heidi13 said. Google Maps is a good resource. But if your ship is docked in commercial ports, you won’t have much luck finding grooming services near the port.  You can also search out malls in your port city as malls often have salons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

What Heidi13 said. Google Maps is a good resource. But if your ship is docked in commercial ports, you won’t have much luck finding grooming services near the port.  You can also search out malls in your port city as malls often have salons.

 

You can also try whatsinport.com. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, floridababa said:

How do I find out if there are places near the port?

I used YELP to find a salon in Barcelona.  I was with my daughter in Siem Reap and she used YELP for a spa.  It worked out well, both places.  I found English speaking salons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 11:11 AM, Heidi13 said:

 

Personally, I get a haircut once about the middle of the 4 months. Not wanting to wast time ashore, I use our generous OBC at the ship's spa.

 

DW gets a couple of haircuts, nails (monthly)and a few other things, all onboard at the spa. Paid for with OBC.

the advantage of having very little hair.... 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JM0115 said:

the advantage of having very little hair.... 🙂

 

I resemble that remark!  😀  My eyebrows sometimes need to be trimmed more than my hair.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who need to get their roots done during a long cruise, my hairdresser suggested that she give me several bottles of my formula before we leave.  Then a hairdresser on the ship or in port can do my roots and match up the existing color without too much trouble.  It doesn't do anything for the highlights, so they are going to have to go away until I get home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ladys Mom said:

For those who need to get their roots done during a long cruise, my hairdresser suggested that she give me several bottles of my formula before we leave.  Then a hairdresser on the ship or in port can do my roots and match up the existing color without too much trouble.  It doesn't do anything for the highlights, so they are going to have to go away until I get home.

I just talked to my hairdresser and he will do the same thing. He felt we should not try to do it ourselves “can be messy and hard to get out if gets on counters etc” but the hairdresser can match existing color. My question is how to safely get to ship? Can you imagine if it opened in luggage.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t been on a super long cruise yet, and this is one of the things I’ve been wondering about, so I appreciate the ideas being shared. But every time I see the title of this thread “hair, nails”, I hear Lizzo singing “I do my hair toss, check my nails. Baby how you feeling?” And that song always makes me happy 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...