A Few Facts for Passengers On Celebrity's Return to Cruising

Posted (edited)

St Maarten requires a negative covid test taken within 72 hours of arrival.  That is the island not X.  You must also complete a entry questionnaire and, if you are doing any more than arriving at airport and heading directly to ship and debarking the ship and returning to the airport you must purchase covid insurance at a cost of $30.00 pp.  Info on St Maarten requirements can be found on-line.

Edited by jelayne
12 minutes ago, nocl said:

I have one question 

Is St Martin setting the rules as far as requirements (vaccination, testing, etc) for the cruises departing from their or is the cruise line itself solely responsible?

The reason I ask that question is because if the rules are set by the country, then the cruise line has to enforce, if they are established by the cruise line, and the country is not setting a minimum then enforcement, exceptions, changes can be made by the cruise line at any time. In other words likely to be less rigorous.

While not 100% certain, I would tend to believe that X consulted with the countries in which they will dock, about the procedures to be applied/enforced for all passengers and crew.

bon voyage

15 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Hopefully scenarios like these are well documented in the protocols they are supposed to release. These concerns are what the CDC wanted resolved, but now people would rather focus on how mean they are rather than address the real concerns. If there aren't very clear procedures in place even when US port cruises resume, that's concerning. If you disembark testing positive, I can't imagine a situation where you would not be required to stay on the island. 

RCG can talk about how successful the Singapore cruises are all they want, but these cruises and the Singapore cruises are no where near similar. I really do hope it works out though, because if not, cruising from the US again is a long long way off. 

Since there are so many other ports in the world to sail from, no big miss IMO... just remaining healthy on the way to, during and from is.

bon voyage

6 minutes ago, nocl said:

I have one question 

Is St Martin setting the rules as far as requirements (vaccination, testing, etc) for the cruises departing from their or is the cruise line itself solely responsible?

The reason I ask that question is because if the rules are set by the country, then the cruise line has to enforce, if they are established by the cruise line, and the country is not setting a minimum then enforcement, exceptions, changes can be made by the cruise line at any time. In other words likely to be less rigorous.

I believe that St. Martin sets the requirements for entry to the country, as normal, while Celebrity sets the rules for embarkation and the duration of the cruise. Each would be responsible for enforcing its own rules.

4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

While not 100% certain, I would tend to believe that X consulted with the countries in which they will dock, about the procedures to be applied/enforced for all passengers and crew.

bon voyage

Consulting with is not the same as the countries  approving the protocols and restricting any change to them without approval.  Especially in the Caribbean where the cruise lines tend to have a fair amount of clout when dealing with each individual island country.

The port of calls would certainly tell the cruise lines what they require for the passengers that get off of ship in their port.  But most likely not for on board the ship itself.

Even for the home port does St. Martin for example require anything beyond the testing requirements they have for anyone visiting the country.  They do not have a vaccination requirement.  Neither do the countries the ship is stopping at. 

So again the question is who is mandating the vaccination requirement, etc. the cruise line themselves or is their national over site.

Just now, Fouremco said:

I believe that St. Martin sets the requirements for entry to the country, as normal, while Celebrity sets the rules for embarkation and the duration of the cruise. Each would be responsible for enforcing its own rules.

That would be what I expect.  In which case the cruise line could make exceptions, change the policy, determine how to enforce by itself, as long as there is a national requirement by the home port country.

1 minute ago, nocl said:

That would be what I expect.  In which case the cruise line could make exceptions, change the policy, determine how to enforce by itself, as long as there is a national requirement by the home port country.

Yes, I imagine that Celebrity could ease or tighten its health and safety protocols as it sees fit, but there may be areas of overlapping interest. For example, prior to disembarkation, all passengers will be tested to facilitate reentry to the US. While the specific type of test may not meet St. Maarten's usual (re)entry requirements, they may have agreed to this level of testing given all of Celebrity's other protocols, including the need for adults and crew to be vaccinated. However, should the US decide to drop this requirement, Celebrity would probably not be able to just stop the testing without ensuring agreement from St. Maarten.

Once we see the actual protocols, supposedly sometime this week, I imagine we will have a clearer idea.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, I imagine that Celebrity could ease or tighten its health and safety protocols as it sees fit, but there may be areas of overlapping interest. For example, prior to disembarkation, all passengers will be tested to facilitate reentry to the US. While the specific type of test may not meet St. Maarten's usual (re)entry requirements, they may have agreed to this level of testing given all of Celebrity's other protocols, including the need for adults and crew to be vaccinated. However, should the US decide to drop this requirement, Celebrity would probably not be able to just stop the testing without ensuring agreement from St. Maarten.

Once we see the actual protocols, supposedly sometime this week, I imagine we will have a clearer idea.

The requirements for entry into the country - yes.

Those that go above and beyond that requirement such as vaccination of passengers.  My concern is that the cruise line could determine how it is enforced, what they will accept, if they will allow any exceptions, etc.  

What a cruise line says is the rule, and how closely that rule is enforced has often been two different things.  So it becomes the question that if no one is looking over their shoulder on the vaccination requirement is it more to make passengers comfortable to book or is it something that the cruiseline truly believes and strongly enforces with no exceptions such as those they consider to be VIPs.

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

Those that go above and beyond that requirement such as vaccination of passengers.  My concern is that the cruise line could determine how it is enforced, what they will accept, if they will allow any exceptions, etc.  

What a cruise line says is the rule, and how closely that rule is enforced has often been two different things.  So it becomes the question that if no one is looking over their shoulder on the vaccination requirement is it more to make passengers comfortable to book or is it something that the cruiseline truly believes and strongly enforces with no exceptions such as those they consider to be VIPs.

I can only think that after all of the hue and cry a year ago about ships sailing with COVID and the resulting global clamp down, including but not limited to the CDC, a cruise line just getting going again would be committing suicide by not enforcing its rules 100%. Can you imagine how many people would cancel their bookings if a couple of early St. Maarten adult passengers came on CC and announced that they were allowed to board, even though they had never been vaccinated?

10 minutes ago, nocl said:

After what happened last spring, I believe each and every cruise line, no matter where they will be sailing from, will enforce the protocols 100%!  If they do not, it will be the death knell of their industry, doing so will silence the "floating petri dish" folks.  They can totally make this such a positive impact on the return to sailing from US ports.

Just now, Fouremco said:

I can only think that after all of the hue and cry a year ago about ships sailing with COVID and the resulting global clamp down, including but not limited to the CDC, a cruise line just getting going again would be committing suicide by not enforcing its rules 100%. Can you imagine how many people would cancel their bookings if a couple of early St. Maarten adult passengers came on CC and announced that they were allowed to board, even though they had never been vaccinated?

The exceptions that cruise lines tend to make to rules tend not to be people that post on CC but tend to be people related to the industry that they classify as VIPs.

Also the question might not pertain to the first few cruises, but the cruise line making a change a few months down the road to cruises people already have booked (we have never seen that happen with cruise lines have we).

Also things like if enforcement is up to the cruise lines will they actually inform passengers if a case occurs on board or will it be the old they don't need to know approach that cruise lines have tended to take in the past when reporting requirements have not been reached.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

After what happened last spring, I believe each and every cruise line, no matter where they will be sailing from, will enforce the protocols 100%!  If they do not, it will be the death knell of their industry, doing so will silence the "floating petri dish" folks.  They can totally make this such a positive impact on the return to sailing from US ports.

Hopefully so since it is the cruise lines interest to do so.  

However, in this case if there are cases would anyone even know, except for the people directly involved, if their "threshold" is not reached?  They certainly would not have to report to the CDC. 

Taking for example the cases on MSC.  We know there have been cases because some people have posted on CC that members of their party had to be quarantined because they came in contact with a positive case.  But there have not been any stories about the numbers.  No public reports.  

In this case the cruise line is the keeper of the gate and the guardian of the information in case of infection.

5 minutes ago, nocl said:

The exceptions that cruise lines tend to make to rules tend not to be people that post on CC but tend to be people related to the industry that they classify as VIPs.

Also the question might not pertain to the first few cruises, but the cruise line making a change a few months down the road to cruises people already have booked (we have never seen that happen with cruise lines have we).

Also things like if enforcement is up to the cruise lines will they actually inform passengers if a case occurs on board or will it be the old they don't need to know approach that cruise lines have tended to take in the past when reporting requirements have not been reached.

I'd like to think the the cruise industry has learned its lesson and wouldn't take a chance on non-enforcement, including allowing VIP or other unvaccinated passengers aboard. Maybe I'm just naive. 

It seems to me that if you don't trust that the cruise line is taking all needed precautions to protect their customers, employees and their business then why would you sail with them.  

When they publish further information I don't expect details that will outline what happens if 2 people test positive vs 4, or under what conditions will the cruise be cut short. Or if masks are required how many warnings before one is put off the ship.  There are  just so many scenarios that could happen.  I'm sure there are protocols and plans for many, many possibilities and they probably fill a  a few large binders, I for 1 don't want to read them.

We have travel insurance that will cover us if we test positive, are denied travel due to a false positive,  or someone we are traveling with tests positive or is denied travel.  

I just want to know the basic's when, where are masks required?  what contract tracing mechanisms will be used,  what facilities will be open and are reservations required for check-in,  dining, shows, fitness center, etc.

3 hours ago, nocl said:

Consulting with is not the same as the countries  approving the protocols and restricting any change to them without approval.  Especially in the Caribbean where the cruise lines tend to have a fair amount of clout when dealing with each individual island country.

The port of calls would certainly tell the cruise lines what they require for the passengers that get off of ship in their port.  But most likely not for on board the ship itself.

Even for the home port does St. Martin for example require anything beyond the testing requirements they have for anyone visiting the country.  They do not have a vaccination requirement.  Neither do the countries the ship is stopping at. 

So again the question is who is mandating the vaccination requirement, etc. the cruise line themselves or is their national over site.

There's no question about this one....Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are mandating the vaccination to sail on their ships.  You do not (at this time) need a vaccination to enter St. Maarten.

Just now, Host Anne said:

There's no question about this one....Celebrity and Royal Caribbean are mandating the vaccination to sail on their ships.  You do not (at this time) need a vaccination to enter St. Maarten.

So just to be clear there is no agreement between St Martin and the cruise lines requiring the cruise lines to require vaccination.  That it is totally up to the cruise line?  Is that correct?

Just checked flying from Tampa Fl to St. Marten in July 2021.  $ 500.00 dollars per person roundtrip.  So myself and wife are going to pay 1000.00 just for flight, not including hotel for the night before and possibly after the cruise.  Throw in the price of the cruise, thousands of dollars!!  No thanks.  If and when cruising ever resumes from Florida where I can easily drive to and save lots of money we will continue vacationing in Mexico at All Inclusive resorts.  No travel requirement entering Mexico and only a Covid test (which the resort pays for) to reenter the United States.  Taking our third trip within eight months and having a blast.  

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

So just to be clear there is no agreement between St Martin and the cruise lines requiring the cruise lines to require vaccination.  That it is totally up to the cruise line?  Is that correct?

That is correct.  St. Maarten does not require vaccinations to enter their country.  If  you go back and click the link that was posted yesterday about requirements to enter St. Maarten,  you'll see that they require a negative test but not a vaccination.  The vaccination mandate is from the cruiseline and clearly noted on their website.  They are pretty clear on what the island is requiring and what they are requiring.

Hi everyone ~ no additional information to share this evening.  I wish I had something to share.  When I have any additional information to share, I'll post.  For now, I'm closing this thread.  Anyone wishing to have a general discussion about Celebrity's return to sailing, please visit this active thread: