Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The majority of the country is getting tested as a precaution and not because they think they have covid. 

A typical flu season sees about 20% positive tests, yet we get concerned when positive rates for covid are over 5%

Many more people are being tested for Covid than the flu, for instance college students are being tested weekly. That is one thing that would explain the concern over a 5% positivity rate. Another is that Covid is much more contagious and replicates more quickly than the flu. It also ends up with 10x the death rate and many more hospitalized. Also, Covid is leaving 30% of people who have had it with long hauler syndrome. 

• Like 2

I don't believe the numbers nor the lies that are posted by the CDC, the media or any other news outlet but if the only way to get the cruise business back is for everyone to be vaccinated, so be it!......we have both been vaccinated so no big deal to us!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Many more people are being tested for Covid than the flu, for instance college students are being tested weekly. That is one thing that would explain the concern over a 5% positivity rate. Another is that Covid is much more contagious and replicates more quickly than the flu. It also ends up with 10x the death rate and many more hospitalized. Also, Covid is leaving 30% of people who have had it with long hauler syndrome. 

“Long Hauler” syndrome has only been reported at 10% of patients by most studies. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

I'm sure hoping it's only 10%. There are some studies that say 30% and 75% of those who have been hospitalized.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1234814

Well, I would expect a higher percentage in people with disease severe enough to need hospitalization.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jared2 said:

Having a vaccine be mandatory for a Royal Caribbean cruise is like having Richard Fain grab me by the shoulders, shake me back and forth and scream in my face that he doesn't want my money.

So be it!  Stay off of my cruise.  I have been in the house for a year and vaccinated.  STAY HOME!  LET THE REST OF US BE SAFE WITHOUT!  You would like the rest of us to get vaccinated so that you don’t have to!  I don’t believe that any cruise line will actually sail with the unvaccinated!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ellaleah said:

So be it!  Stay off of my cruise.  I have been in the house for a year and vaccinated.  STAY HOME!  LET THE REST OF US BE SAFE WITHOUT!  You would like the rest of us to get vaccinated so that you don’t have to!  I don’t believe that any cruise line will actually sail with the unvaccinated!

Lol

”Stay off MY cruise”. 
Which ship did you charter, and what date?

lol 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

I dont get the vaccine elitism intertwined with the distorted notion that vaccinated folks are largely at risk from everybody else.  I think if people looked at their vaccination as an almost infallible personal force field they would quit worrying about everybody else.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

Why not? Why would they lie?

Power, greed, control.    They are an embarrassment to this country.  Make sure you have an empty stomach when you watch this cheezy act by the CDC director.  Go to 1:10 where she says she's going off script, WHILE READING A@%@% SCRIPT!!!!

• Like 8

I live in Orlando.  Many people do not see the destruction in their towns the way that us Floridians do when it comes to the travel industry.  There are 5 ports in Florida alone.  Cruising seems to be held to a standard that other industries are not. There are no ventilators on board.  They are not equipped to handle life saving measures that some may experience with covid.  A vaccine helps to keep you from needing a ventilator.  So yes. It should be required for all on board.  And everyone should still have to provide a negative PCR test.

One last thing -just remember that we are all going thru the same storm; but, we are not in the same boat. Those who have not been able to work Worldwide in the cruise industry need each of us to do everything in our power to help them get back to work.  And safely.

• Like 5

On 3/21/2021 at 9:17 AM, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Do you think it's fair that the RCCL and Celebrity Cruises already require the Covid-19 vaccine for the Odyssey, Adventure, and Millennium cruises, given that currently in most countries younger people don't have the chance to get vaccinated even if they want?  For example in many European Union countries  and Canada, the vaccination process is very slow.  Most people will probably not be able to get vaccinated in the coming months, and Odyssey of the seas sailing in Israel and Greece since May will accept only fully vaccinated guests. Isn't that a kind of discrimination?

I think in our environment today what is needed to build public support and willingness to travel are covid free cruises.  So yes. It is fair. It is not a requirement that you have to sail. It is a choice.  Unfortunately for those who do not want to get or are not able yet to get it - they may have to wait longer to sail until we reach herd immunity or it fizzles.  Or that person can get vaccinated.  The cruising industry needs confidence and a good record. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:
4 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

Lol

”Stay off MY cruise”. 
Which ship did you charter, and what date?

lol 

‘My cruise” Would  be anyone’s cruise!  I wish you were smarter and less selfish.  Get the vaccine or stay home with your vulnerable body.  Why would those of us that stayed home for a yea4 and got our vaccines want to sail with you?  I can answer that.  We would not!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tippyton said:

I dont get the vaccine elitism intertwined with the distorted notion that vaccinated folks are largely at risk from everybody else.  I think if people looked at their vaccination as an almost infallible personal force field they would quit worrying about everybody else.

I think the reason the vaccinated are worried about everyone else is because the vaccinated will have to deal with all the other precautions that are put into place to protect the unvaccinated. It may also affect ports of call. Heck, islands are not even accepting people fleeing St. Vincent who are unvaccinated.

It has nothing to do with "vaccine elitism."

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Tippyton said:

Has nothing to do with worrying about others. Nor is it concern for their own health. It's actually a somewhat selfish concern for the effect of the unvaccinated on their lifestyle. 

It seems unlikely that the CDC will see anything short of fully vaccinated cruises as relatively safe. So no cruising while there remains a relatively large number of unvaccinated. Ashore mask wearing, etc. will be the norm until most are vaccinated. Local outbreaks are going to continue affecting businesses and congregate activities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Has nothing to do with worrying about others. Nor is it concern for their own health. It's actually a somewhat selfish concern for the effect of the unvaccinated on their lifestyle. 

I am not sure I would describe it as selfish. If vaccines were only available to the privileged few I might feel differently, however, that is not the case. But when talking about an activity as non-essential as cruising I don't think the vaccinated should have to alter their experience to protect the unvaccinated.  Call it selfish if you like. You are entitled to your opinion as am I.

As I have stated previously, some if rhe Caribbean islands won't even accept unvaccinated folks from St. Vincent during an emergency. Do you think they will act differently toward unvaccinated populations on cruise ships?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

‘My cruise” Would  be anyone’s cruise!  I wish you were smarter and less selfish.  Get the vaccine or stay home with your vulnerable body.  Why would those of us that stayed home for a yea4 and got our vaccines want to sail with you?  I can answer that.  We would not!

If you stayed home for a year then that's your problem.  Millions of us have travelled normally except for the stupid mask which does nothing btw.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I heard on our news that by friday we will have cleared the vaccine waiting lists. So then what happens? Left over vaccines? I've read Michigan asked for extra doses but the WH said no. At some pt soon there will be more doses than those wanting them. 

24 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

If you stayed home for a year then that's your problem.  Millions of us have travelled normally except for the stupid mask which does nothing btw.

I'm one staying home more. Not being able to cruise is not travelling normally.

I drove late January to florida and fast food restaurants the lobby was not open to use facilities. My back from driving too long says not normal. Couldnt eat in, had to find drive thrus or a few truck stops. Not normal. 

I'm looking to fly next time, but there is a shortage of rental cars in florida, googled yesterday thinking maybe I could find a week long rental and save money. Only found daily rates. Cars cost about as much as hotels daily. Not normal. The hotel site didnt even find me a car for 5 days for a hotel and car. Checked air hotel and car, almost $1900 for 5 days in a covid discounted rate hotel, but cars sky high.

I'm not finding I can travel normally. .. but I'm vaccinated and ready. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

Super easy to get a shot if you want one here.  Everyone I know who wants the vaccine is at least scheduled for their first shot.  We have so many different places that are giving out shots CVS, Walgreens, Publix, and the Health Department Mass Clinic.  They even have a number you can call for home bound people to receive shots at their home.

• Like 2