BAHAMAS CRUISE QUESTIONS

My DH and I have booked the July 17th Bahamas cruise and are super excited! Our documents show that except for Nassau and Bimini all the other ports will be by tender. Does anyone have any idea where on these islands the tenders will be docking? Also, I see that departure time from Nassau is 7 pm, around what time will they let you board? 

10 hours ago, islandchick said:

My DH and I have booked the July 17th Bahamas cruise and are super excited! Our documents show that except for Nassau and Bimini all the other ports will be by tender. Does anyone have any idea where on these islands the tenders will be docking? Also, I see that departure time from Nassau is 7 pm, around what time will they let you board? 

In the past boarding was typically at Noon.  

Just wait till the cruise gets closer when you will know more.  They may still go with noon or they might go with a checkin where there are different arrival times since they will be giving each guest a COVID-19 test.

Since Crystal hasn't sailed the tender islands before I doubt anyone will know the drop off and in the case of Long Island they are normally not a cruise stop for the cruise lines.  Maybe as we get close on board guest services might know so you could have your TA write to them.  Another option is to ask if someone on the January 3rd cruise (first one) could post about the various tender drop off points.

Keith

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Just wait till the cruise gets closer when you will know more.  They may still go with noon or they might go with a checkin where there are different arrival times since they will be giving each guest a COVID-19 test.

Since most US airlines are requiring a covid test to board, and from what  I've heard, the Bahama's want it as well to enter the country, are we going to need  Crystal to test us again?!! Seems to me if we've got certification of a valid covid test, Crystal wouldn't need it?

Thanks for replying Keith.  I don't have a TA because I always book direct and plan everything myself. I find that to be half the fun ☺️ If nobody else has info I will try to ask again after the first sailing in July. I was just hoping that anyone who has been to any of these islands may have a opinion as to where they are likely to drop off the tender passengers.  

48 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Since most US airlines are requiring a covid test to board, and from what  I've heard, the Bahama's want it as well to enter the country, are we going to need  Crystal to test us again?!! Seems to me if we've got certification of a valid covid test, Crystal wouldn't need it?

I am guessing the reason is due to people like us who will be spending a few days in Nassau prior to the cruise. We could pick up Covid at any time so will need to be retested. 

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Crystal is going to go with the local requirements.  In other words a COVID-19 test is required to arrive to Nassau.  Crystal will then perform its COVID-19 test at the pier. 

Keith

15 minutes ago, islandchick said:

Thanks for replying Keith.  I don't have a TA because I always book direct and plan everything myself. I find that to be half the fun ☺️ If nobody else has info I will try to ask again after the first sailing in July. I was just hoping that anyone who has been to any of these islands may have a opinion as to where they are likely to drop off the tender passengers.  

You are very welcome.

As we get closer you could write to on board guest services yourself at obgs@crystalcruises.com to see if they know.

I just wouldn't do it now but wait till we get inside 30 days prior to the cruise.

Keith

17 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

You are very welcome.

As we get closer you could write to on board guest services yourself at obgs@crystalcruises.com to see if they know.

I just wouldn't do it now but wait till we get inside 30 days prior to the cruise.

Keith

Thanks, I will try that. 

The only dock that I know of on Harbour Island is on the west side of the island, about mid-way (it's a very small island.)  I can't imagine it being a cruise stop, frankly.  But if you can be independent, just a walk around the island would be nice (except for the heat)--the architecture is very pretty.  Or you could walk to the beautiful pink sand beach, on the other side of the island, a mile or so away.  There should be significant water opportunities--snorkeling, diving, perhaps boats of various kinds.  But again, it's a very small island.

2 hours ago, islandchick said:

I am guessing the reason is due to people like us who will be spending a few days in Nassau prior to the cruise. We could pick up Covid at any time so will need to be retested. 

I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I get it now.....I would guess that at the end of 10 days our noses will be reemed clean!

While I don't have an answer to the original poster's question we have asked Crystal (through our travel agent) the following questions:    What happens if you test positive at embarkation or test positive before disembarkation.    Also what will happen if a passenger or crew member become ill with Covid during the cruise.    The answer was "TBA", so we are awaiting the answers.   

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The only dock that I know of on Harbour Island is on the west side of the island, about mid-way (it's a very small island.)  I can't imagine it being a cruise stop, frankly.  But if you can be independent, just a walk around the island would be nice (except for the heat)--the architecture is very pretty.  Or you could walk to the beautiful pink sand beach, on the other side of the island, a mile or so away.  There should be significant water opportunities--snorkeling, diving, perhaps boats of various kinds.  But again, it's a very small island.

Thanks for the info. I will have a look around that area on google maps. I am hoping they will come up with some nice excursions on all the islands for snorkeling, etc but they have not posted any yet. I'm crossing my fingers although just finding a pretty beach close to the tender would be good enough. 

Can anyone tell me where the cruise terminal/dock is in Bimini? I want to find a hotel nearby. We are planning to take the ferry from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini the day before our cruise and spend the night in a hotel.

13 hours ago, JOPA28 said:

While I don't have an answer to the original poster's question we have asked Crystal (through our travel agent) the following questions:    What happens if you test positive at embarkation or test positive before disembarkation.    Also what will happen if a passenger or crew member become ill with Covid during the cruise.    The answer was "TBA", so we are awaiting the answers.   

I have confirmed if you cruise positive at embarkation you cannot board and there is always the chance of a false positive.

Haven't asked about the other two issues.  I do know through previous reading they have quarantine areas should crew or guests get COVID-19 but unsure of anything beyond that.

Keith

23 minutes ago, bitob said:

I am wondering if all these Bahamas cruise threads should be combined into one

I am tired of checking 6 threads for information!!

At least we have something new to read! 😏😜😲

Patty

Understand if you test positive you won't be able to board - but what happens to you then?  I would guess you can't then board a plane or ferry to go back to US (or elsewhere).  so you are stuck?   If someone on the ship gets sick - will everyone be stuck then. That is one of my biggest concerns being stuck and not being able to get home

Right now, almost universally if you test positive you have to quarantine wherever you are...  I can't imagine that changing anytime soon, it's just not safe to let Covid-positive people travel -- so the "stuck" element will always be an issue.

Vince

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

Understand if you test positive you won't be able to board - but what happens to you then?  I would guess you can't then board a plane or ferry to go back to US (or elsewhere).  so you are stuck?   If someone on the ship gets sick - will everyone be stuck then. That is one of my biggest concerns being stuck and not being able to get home

You are stuck.  Quarantined.  But you will have mandatory medical insurance (it is required to get your health certificate to enter the Bahamas)

Health_Visa_Benefit_Summary_FINAL_1106.pdf

Edited by PaulMCO
On 3/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, JOPA28 said:

Here are some important links on the Crystal website that answers some of thse questions:

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean 

https://www.crystalcruises.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/files/crystal-covid19-vaccine-requirements-faqs.pdf

40 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

Thanks for this information. It's super helpful. It says that in the Bahamas we will be able to explore ports of call independently (not forced to take shore excursions) and Crystal will have shuttles into towns. Good news.

9 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

What do you suppose “contact free” service in the MDR consists of?

I’ve posed that question several times in the forum — I’m curious too.  It first appeared in a preliminary version of Crystal’s protocols that were very aspirational and filled with lots of buzz phrases of the era, and I think some of us expected it to be updated (well, removed) at some point and replaced with a substantive protocol, but even the detailed listing just says “contact-free dining service will be implemented in all onboard venues.”

Where I live, “contactless” usually means service at more than 6 feet or with a barrier (like stores bringing out purchases and placing them in your trunk), so I’m having trouble processing this one.

If the Waterside waiters are going to toss your plates from at least 6’ away, they are going to have to provide some really large plastic bibs for the passengers.  😮 ...Especially if they ever restart BTO nights!  

Vince