Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Others are listening to the music. Dropped to 13% in 2018. Youth trend is way down as well. Once it drops below 10%, smokers will be statistically insignificant and likely all smoking will be banned. 
 

https://www.lung.org/research/trends-in-lung-disease/tobacco-trends-brief/overall-tobacco-trends

 

 

Good luck with your annihilation efforts. Hope it brings you the joy/peace that you seek Jedi! May the hate be with you!    

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I would say there are far more non smokers onboard than smokers. Each year the number of smokers is decreasing and will continue to do so. 

 

Added in is the fact that those who cruise tend to be more educated than the general population and the more educated are statistically less likely to smoke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Added in is the fact that those who cruise tend to be more educated than the general population and the more educated are statistically less likely to smoke.

Back in Mid 90’s, the company I worked for was based out of Louisville Colorado. Due to rising medical costs (self funded plan),  they banned ALL smoking on campus and that included the remote business locations, including the parking lots. Smokers began paying nearly double the premium for both medical insurance and life insurance. It didn’t take long for most of the 18,000 employees to mostly quit. I had service techs and they were not permitted to smoke on customer property either. Myself and a bunch of my friends all quit during this time. 
 

M8

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 9:41 PM, James4me said:

Well at least those of you deciding to cruise and wear a face mask, you won’t be able to smell the smoke in the casino 👍


? I could smell my child’s dirty diaper in the men’s room the other day.  
 

Are you trying to be funny or smart?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Added in is the fact that those who cruise tend to be more educated than the general population and the more educated are statistically less likely to smoke.


Do a cheap 3 day cruise someday and your opinion might change LOL.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Back in Mid 90’s, the company I worked for was based out of Louisville Colorado. Due to rising medical costs (self funded plan),  they banned ALL smoking on campus and that included the remote business locations, including the parking lots. Smokers began paying nearly double the premium for both medical insurance and life insurance. It didn’t take long for most of the 18,000 employees to mostly quit. I had service techs and they were not permitted to smoke on customer property either. Myself and a bunch of my friends all quit during this time. 
 

M8

Been 20yrs since heard first Company Ban Smokers from working there. This due to rising Health costs. Gave them 6 months, paid help to quit. After they had either never smoke again even outside work, quit, or fired if caught. Think it held up in Court.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Been 20yrs since heard first Company Ban Smokers from working there. This due to rising Health costs. Gave them 6 months, paid help to quit. After they had either never smoke again even outside work, quit, or fired if caught. Think it held up in Court.

 

Slippery slope. Folks that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. They'll find something else next to exclude you, employee/spouse/kids too high of BMI, diabetics, too old, alcohol use, blood pressure too high, living in the wrong state/area etc etc etc. The sad part is, some people gleefully describe this as though it's a good thing/idea (it doesn't affect me so I don't care). When they come for them next, I suspect the smugness will disappear and they will care all of a sudden and only then "it won't be fair". Divide into smaller groups and conquer through erosion of rights/freedoms. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

 

Slippery slope. Folks that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it. They'll find something else next to exclude you, employee/spouse/kids too high of BMI, diabetics, too old, alcohol use, blood pressure too high, living in the wrong state/area etc etc etc. The sad part is, some people gleefully describe this as though it's a good thing/idea (it doesn't affect me so I don't care). When they come for them next, I suspect the smugness will disappear and they will care all of a sudden and only then "it won't be fair". Divide into smaller groups and conquer through erosion of rights/freedoms. 

Like said nothing new and Company isn't only one doing this. Even major Hospital in my area no smoking while working 12hr shifts even on breaks but they pay workers to quit. Was in Military, weight, smoking, health, way I lived and Non Drinker/Smoker/Drugs my whole life. Back when I joined smoking in Boot Camp, now a no no. Could smoke at in Offices and was 2 Beer Lunch, even had Beer & Cigarette Vending Machines in Barracks. Now Anti drinking and smoking even where I was living on post. Some towns cant smoke walking down street, or with own kid in your car. Parents smoked, Mom did from age 11-42, quit now 77 still ended up with COPD/Emphysema. My Daughter Asthma so bad smoker can set off an Attack. About 4yrs ago guy in next Cabin was smoking on my Royal Cruise and was only time had connecting room. He'd lite up with Balcony Door open, wind would blow smoke into his Cabin under connecting door to stay in mine. Ended up calling Security twice, second time he received the Fine for it. Heard whole conversation between them. Was last time even had a non aft/corner Balcony, good as smoke never reach's my Balcony or Cabin

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Covid hasn't dampened the Great Smoking Debate on CC!  As a 30 year smoker who quit a few years ago I can honestly understand both sides.  Now back to the much more pleasant "Routine Day in Lockdown" thread 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B Midged said:

LoL. Maybe you should rethink going on a cruise if a little smoke bothers you so much. Can you imagine if there was an emergency and you had to board one of those fume filled lifeboats?

LOL Well Ive been cruising over 30 years and my luck has held out so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

 

Vaping is under attack now too. Antis were mad that smokers found away around their BS and were happily enjoying nicotine inside again with no bad smells or combustible smoke. They have nothing to complain about but simply seeing someone enjoying a nicotine product offended their delicate sensibilities and they wen't on the attack again. Luckily one can stealth vape with nicotine salts almost anywhere undetected but now they are still attacking mail order and trying to get it reclassified as a cigarette. It never stops, they're never happy.      

Bummer! As it should be. The whiners (vapers) are mad that they haven't found away around the vaping restrictions. I don't have a problem with vapers hanging out in the designated outside  smoking areas. Knock yourselves out. You also forgot to mention the restrictions on those that like a pinch between the lower lip and gum.  If all you're after is the nicotine fix then choose one or all of the other options for nicotine you previously listed. Now you satisfy your nicotine craving and you get the good benefits from the nicotine you listed without inhaling all the other harmful chemicals. I get your addiction and you wanting to stand up for your right to shorten your life but smoking is no longer what the cool kids do anymore and you are going to be faced with a lot more restrictions going forward. When I was a smoker I never imagined cigarettes would be as expensive as they now are, all the dangers and other costs associated with smoking and how smoking cigarettes now is not socially acceptable like it use to be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

 

Vaping is under attack now too. Antis were mad that smokers found away around their BS and were happily enjoying nicotine inside again with no bad smells or combustible smoke. They have nothing to complain about but simply seeing someone enjoying a nicotine product offended their delicate sensibilities and they wen't on the attack again. Luckily one can stealth vape with nicotine salts almost anywhere undetected but now they are still attacking mail order and trying to get it reclassified as a cigarette. It never stops, they're never happy.      

Have you ever walked into a cloud of exhaled vape. It's like walking into spit. I hate that more than cigarette smoke. My son vaped for a while. I told him I that I would rather have him smoke cigarettes or weed. The vape smell was worse than cigarette smoke.  It never smelled like vanilla or whatever flavor he was smoking.  It was nasty. He finally gave it up when all of the reports came out. He was working in a vape store at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Have you ever walked into a cloud of exhaled vape. It's like walking into spit. I hate that more than cigarette smoke. My son vaped for a while. I told him I that I would rather have him smoke cigarettes or weed. The vape smell was worse than cigarette smoke.  It never smelled like vanilla or whatever flavor he was smoking.  It was nasty. He finally gave it up when all of the reports came out. He was working in a vape store at the time. 

 

Yeah, well sub ohm vaping is cloud chucking at lower nicotine levels, huge clouds though (direct to lung). Those tend to be the younger set, though many enjoy it; seen plenty of older folks using mods with large tanks on past cruises. It shouldn't stink though, he was probably using bad ejuice. I've tried them out before and it smelled good. A lot of folks switching from cigarettes don't use those devices and use mouth to lung devices to mimic cigarettes and get throat hit. These can be much more discreet and not rolling coal out of your mouth lol; plus generally smell very little. That said, I know plenty who have used vaping to get off cigarettes. Personally, I think cigarettes are the worse choice but I can appreciate your angle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

 

Yeah, well sub ohm vaping is cloud chucking at lower nicotine levels, huge clouds though (direct to lung). Those tend to be the younger set, though many enjoy it; seen plenty of older folks using mods with large tanks on past cruises. It shouldn't stink though, he was probably using bad ejuice. I've tried them out before and it smelled good. A lot of folks switching from cigarettes don't use those devices and use mouth to lung devices to mimic cigarettes and get throat hit. These can be much more discreet and not rolling coal out of your mouth lol; plus generally smell very little. That said, I know plenty who have used vaping to get off cigarettes. Personally, I think cigarettes are the worse choice but I can appreciate your angle.  

It still remains, vaping is not permitted on the ships. Take it up with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

 

Yeah, well sub ohm vaping is cloud chucking at lower nicotine levels, huge clouds though (direct to lung). Those tend to be the younger set, though many enjoy it; seen plenty of older folks using mods with large tanks on past cruises. It shouldn't stink though, he was probably using bad ejuice. I've tried them out before and it smelled good. A lot of folks switching from cigarettes don't use those devices and use mouth to lung devices to mimic cigarettes and get throat hit. These can be much more discreet and not rolling coal out of your mouth lol; plus generally smell very little. That said, I know plenty who have used vaping to get off cigarettes. Personally, I think cigarettes are the worse choice but I can appreciate your angle.  

Cigarettes are a worse choice but from a non smoker non vapor point of view I can endure the cigarette smoke over vape. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

And who would have thought lighters and ashtrays would no longer be standard equipment in vehicles. "The times, they are a changin". 

Why did they remove the CD players ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why did they remove the CD players ?

Newer and better audio options. Depends on the car manufacture and selected stereo options you can still get a factory installed CD player as optional equipment. For awhile. 😉

Edited by davekathy
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

One thing, they were not very good in moving vehicles especially over bumpy roads. Then came the Smart Phones and CD’s were doomed. 

Yup, Digital. Back in the day(before I was born) few cars came with Record Players, bet they skipped...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had an issue with CD's skipping over a bumpy road. Except when I tried to use a CD Walkman with a cassette converter in an old beater car I had for awhile.  All of the others had in-dash CD players. Maybe the trunk-mounted ones skipped?

 

The most recent car has a 6-disc in-dash player but also came with XM radio so the only thing the CD player does now is collect dust.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...