"Exciting news coming very soon"

Chris_2448

43 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No. 

Also no. There will be enough vaccine available  by the end of May to vaccinate every adult who wants to be vaccinated, but the actual process of vaccination will take longer...perhaps into early September.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/03/12/when-will-everyone-be-vaccinated-for-covid-19-when-will-we-reach-us-herd-immunity-projection/6840512002/

You may have missed the part where the article stated that: "The chart below shows how things would play out if the U.S. continues to administer vaccines at the pace it has recently. However, this rate may change."

The current vaccination rate has been based entirely upon vaccine availability.  It is silly to assume that the rate wouldn't increase to match the availability of vaccine.

36 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

You may have missed the part where the article stated that: "The chart below shows how things would play out if the U.S. continues to administer vaccines at the pace it has recently. However, this rate may change."

The current vaccination rate has been based entirely upon vaccine availability.  It is silly to assume that the rate wouldn't increase to match the availability of vaccine.

No, I read it. I didn't miss anything. 

I didn't say the rate wouldn't increase, but there's no way the day any shipment of vaccine arrives that it magically ends up being injected into arms. The logistics of distributing the vaccine to vaccination sites and administering it  are enormous. There's going to be a lag of some sort.

You may have missed what I said: "perhaps into early September". "Perhaps" doesn't mean it will take that long. It means that it may take that long.

It's your claim of " I think May 30 was the goal for everybody who wanted a vaccination to get one" that I was objecting to because it simply can't and won't happen and no one in the government ever said it would. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, I read it. I didn't miss anything. 

I didn't say the rate wouldn't increase, but there's no way the day any shipment of vaccine arrives that it magically ends up being injected into arms. The logistics of distributing the vaccine to vaccination sites and administering it  are enormous. There's going to be a lag of some sort.

You may have missed what I said: "perhaps into early September". "Perhaps" doesn't mean it will take that long. It means that it may take that long.

It's your claim of " I think May 30 was the goal for everybody who wanted a vaccination to get one" that I was objecting to because it simply can't and won't happen and no one in the government ever said it would. 

Yeah.  I must have missed the "perhaps."  Perhaps we'll find out in two to six months.  

Edited by CaptainHazelwood

3 hours ago, cliffd64 said:

All US adults supposedly will be vaccinated by May 1 according to the current administration...

This is wrong. Currently, we're still running a deficit in the US. More people want to be vaccinated than doses are available, so the government is spending billions to secure more doses. 

The administration has set a goal of securing enough vaccine doses on-hand that any American 18 and over will be able and eligible to be vaccinated by May. 

Florida is opening vaccine up to anyone 18+ on April 5th.  

While it's anecdotal evidence,  2 friends who work at clinics tell me they have a huge surplus of J&J.  Our country opened to 40+ earlier this week as they're struggling to fill appointments.  I can't blame the people,  I wouldn't get J&K if I had a choice. 

I believe supply will outpace demand sooner than people think.   There are so many people who simply have no interest in the vaccine. 

Edited by Yesimapirate
  • Like 1

I  do not see how everyone will be vaccinated by May. There are rural areas in this country that do not have drug stores near them. Some travel for hours to get to one. There are areas that are not easily accessed  to be able to give out the vaccine. They are currently working on a plan for these areas as well. Now with J&J out  and not needing a deep freeze to store the vaccine it may make it easier.  Although it is only good for 2 hours our of the refrig. 

1 hour ago, tumblew467 said:

I  do not see how everyone will be vaccinated by May. There are rural areas in this country that do not have drug stores near them. Some travel for hours to get to one. There are areas that are not easily accessed  to be able to give out the vaccine. They are currently working on a plan for these areas as well. Now with J&J out  and not needing a deep freeze to store the vaccine it may make it easier.  Although it is only good for 2 hours our of the refrig. 

Hours to a drug store?  Yikes.

Sorry, I wouldn't have mentioned eligibility if I thought it would head yet another thread derailing into a vaccine discussion... 

Meanwhile, we are still awaiting any news at all about ANYTHING from NCL. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are scattering ships everywhere. Carnival has announced that they won't seek temporary home ports (at least not yet). Hello, NCL? 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Sorry, I wouldn't have mentioned eligibility if I thought it would head yet another thread derailing into a vaccine discussion... 

Meanwhile, we are still awaiting any news at all about ANYTHING from NCL. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are scattering ships everywhere. Carnival has announced that they won't seek temporary home ports (at least not yet). Hello, NCL? 

Thanks for getting this thread back on track. 

Where did you read that piece about Carnival? EDIT: never mind, found a link. 

Edited by Seany527

4 hours ago, coastcat said:

I heard a rumor NCL will announce bookings on March 29. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coastcat said:

Without mentioning names of my TA and the NCL rep, I attended a webinar last night. Upon the conclusion of the event it was open to Q/A. I inquired about the Leonardo and the rep said that was pushed back about a month because of some exciting news coming up next week. The phrase he repeated several times was " Return to Sailing ". I truly hope this is true and not a sales pitch, fingers cross, I'm ready to go. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GA Dave said:

Not sure if everyone has seen this.  I did it.  I figure if they get enough of them, they might actually read one or two.

Message to Congress

Yes, I did too. Spread the word!  I posted a thread on it as well. I think it should be posted at the top of the CC boards for all to see! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Not sure if everyone has seen this.  I did it.  I figure if they get enough of them, they might actually read one or two.

Message to Congress

Not the CDC is listening with the no sail extended to 1 November.
https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/cdc-says-no-sail-order-to-remain-in-place-until-nov-1-despite-cruise-association-request

14 hours ago, tumblew467 said:

Nobody in the United States (outside of Alaska) has to "travel for hours" to get to a drug store. Nobody.

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No. 

Also no. There will be enough vaccine available  by the end of May to vaccinate every adult who wants to be vaccinated, but the actual process of vaccination will take longer...perhaps into early September.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/03/12/when-will-everyone-be-vaccinated-for-covid-19-when-will-we-reach-us-herd-immunity-projection/6840512002/

"The White House says the U.S. will have enough vaccine supply to cover every American adult by the end of May, although it will take longer to administer those vaccines. That's about 500 million doses, depending on what share of the vaccines require two shots."

No, that's not quite true.

There are approximately 270 million adults in the United States. Hypothetically speaking, let's say all will require 2 doses (although J&J only requires 1).

That's 540 million doses for 270 million people.

So far we've administered 133 million doses. That least 407 million doses to be administered. We're currently averaging 2.5 million doses per day (although that will rise to 3+ million next month). So in order to administer the remaining 407 million doses at the current rate of 2.5 million doses per day that puts us at early September for when 100% of the adult population is vaccinated.

Realistically, at least 10% of the population will get the J&J vaccine reducing the total doses administered by about 30 million meaning we're now talking about the end of August.

Also, only about 70% in the United States want to be vaccinated. This means that everyone that wants a vaccine will be able to get one by June/July.

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

No, that's not quite true.

There are approximately 270 million adults in the United States. Hypothetically speaking, let's say all will require 2 doses (although J&J only requires 1).

That's 540 million doses for 270 million people.

So far we've administered 133 million doses. That least 407 million doses to be administered. We're currently averaging 2.5 million doses per day (although that will rise to 3+ million next month). So in order to administer the remaining 407 million doses at the current rate of 2.5 million doses per day that puts us at early September for when 100% of the adult population is vaccinated.

Realistically, at least 10% of the population will get the J&J vaccine reducing the total doses administered by about 30 million meaning we're now talking about the end of August.

Also, only about 70% in the United States want to be vaccinated. This means that everyone that wants a vaccine will be able to get one by June/July.

You've misunderstood what I said. I didn't say it will take until September, I said "perhaps into early September". Obviously That depends on the very obvious variables that affect the estimate...one dose versus two dose vaccine utilization, percentage of adults who wish to be vaccinated and daily vaccination rate.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Nothing was extended, as it clearly states in the article.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I did not think it previously ended on 1 November 2021? If it did then apologies.

Not only was it not extended as it's always carried a Nov 1, 2021 expiration date, it's also not a "No Sail Order". The NSO was replaced by this order, the Conditional Sailing Order.

3 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Without mentioning names of my TA and the NCL rep, I attended a webinar last night. Upon the conclusion of the event it was open to Q/A. I inquired about the Leonardo and the rep said that was pushed back about a month because of some exciting news coming up next week. The phrase he repeated several times was " Return to Sailing ". I truly hope this is true and not a sales pitch, fingers cross, I'm ready to go. 

I’m impatient as heck for Leonardo news as I intend to spend my FCC on its inaugural transatlantic, but hey, some exciting news about this summer is quite welcome. Thanks for sharing that tidbit!

• Like 1