Worrying Answers From CDC Director on Conditional Sailing Order

Topdog52

I think they are scared to pull the trigger and be blamed for a possible outbreak.  by june or so we are looking at more than 70 percent of the US will be vaccinated, I have been traveling. Although the extra covid tests have been a little bothersome, all went well on my recent trip overseas. 

• Like 1

"I don't know when cruise will again be resuming...but I guarantee the approval for that won't be done by me....in case something then goes wrong.  There needs to be someone else to blame then, and I just don't know who to pass the buck to yet.  Nobody else is wanting to take that chance either.  So I am just kinda making this up as I go along. But I value your input. Thanks for asking."

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, roger001 said:

"I don't know when cruise will again be resuming...but I guarantee the approval for that won't be done by me....in case something then goes wrong.  There needs to be someone else to blame then, and I just don't know who to pass the buck to yet.  Nobody else is wanting to take that chance either.  So I am just kinda making this up as I go along. But I value your input. Thanks for asking."

There is no crisis at our cruise ports where so many are unemployed, it's just a challenge we have under control.

• Like 3

Forget about Alaska cruising in 2021.  Canada is still trying to get a handle on COVID vaccines.  And, the cruise lines need Canadian ports to get to Alaska.

The rest, it seems Royal, Celebrity and the EU brands are planning to sail in the next 60 days.  I suspect the Caribbean will be operational in that same time frame.  And, NCL is NOT going to let the other lines cruise and them not be a part of it.

Carnival will also follow suit.

So, according to the article, it’s not CDC’s decision and the cruise lines have made theirs.

• Like 4

Reading between the lines it seems just like the last president, this president has all the real control over the cruise lines and what will happen.  He can likely slow or speed the process with pressure from his team.  My guess is this will either be completely gone in May, or it will stay until it expires with no technical guidance ever given (basically a no sail until November).  Either way the cruise lines might as well make other plans and start sailing, because I am not sure the folks in charge have any idea what it really happening here (I doubt they have a clue when anything is really going to be restarting).

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Reading between the lines it seems just like the last president, this president has all the real control over the cruise lines and what will happen.  He can likely slow or speed the process with pressure from his team.  My guess is this will either be completely gone in May, or it will stay until it expires with no technical guidance ever given (basically a no sail until November).  Either way the cruise lines might as well make other plans and start sailing, because I am not sure the folks in charge have any idea what it really happening here (I doubt they have a clue when anything is really going to be restarting).

I don't even think the cruise industry is on anyone's radar.  I concur.  They will start sailing as Vaccines are more prevalent, as that will be a requirement.

In North America, I believe the Caribbean will open up, as will Mexico.  So, sailing out of FLL, Orlando, LA, maybe Galveston will be first (Miami has proved to be a mess, though).  Bahamas will be another origination port.  

• Like 1

I don't see much happening out of the US until autumn 2021 or later.  If we had a more precaution-compliant population here in the US, cruising could start sooner....say in the summer.  Sadly, we have too many people that refuse to respect the rules and mitigations to avoid catching COVID.   I live in rural/small town Michigan and throughout the pandemic, people's willingness to follow the masking and social distancing rules has been quite spotty.  Every day, for months, I have seen people not masked at the convenience store, grocery store, CVS, etc.  The staff are very reluctant to say anything for fear of an argument/a fight/a shooting ensuing.  Why would we expect these folk's behavior to be any different on a cruise ship if they were able to sail currently.

I agree that cruising should continue to be on hold until a higher proportion of the population has been vaccinated and we know how well the vaccines deal with the variant strains of COVID...particularly the Brazil strain.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichiganBound said:

If we had a more precaution-compliant population here in the US, cruising could start sooner....say in the summer.  Sadly, we have too many people that refuse to respect the rules and mitigations to avoid catching COVID. 

Well, @MichiganBound, some of us strongly believe that our nation's Constitution, and the protections it affords us, are not set aside in the midst of a pandemic just because a national health agency and certain politicians feel it is within their power to do so.  Our rights don't end where other's feelings begin.  I also don't believe the lack of a mask would lead to "a shooting ensuing."  I have a much higher opinion of my fellow citizens.

That said, you are entitled to your opinion and I've stated mine.  I don't plan to debate it further.  BTW, I'm vaccinated and wear a mask where I deem it proper, even though I also know from the published, peer-reviewed science that they are largely ineffective.  Cheers. 😉

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

I also don't believe the lack of a mask would lead to "a shooting ensuing."  I have a much higher opinion of my fellow citizens.

I disagree. Have you seen some of the fights in airports because a person is not wearing a mask. The bath and body store fight is a classic and the only reason someone has not gotten seriously hurt is because their were people around to break it up. I also have had my shots and I am still wearing a mask to give people time get get their shots, but that will end the end of July. By that time everyone that wants a shot should have had the opportunity to have got theirs. The one's that say no they do not want it are on their own. JMHO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Well, @MichiganBound, some of us strongly believe that our nation's Constitution, and the protections it affords us, are not set aside in the midst of a pandemic just because a national health agency and certain politicians feel it is within their power to do so.  Our rights don't end where other's feelings begin....

🥱 🥱

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Well, @MichiganBound, some of us strongly believe that our nation's Constitution, and the protections it affords us, are not set aside in the midst of a pandemic just because a national health agency and certain politicians feel it is within their power to do so.  Our rights don't end where other's feelings begin.  I also don't believe the lack of a mask would lead to "a shooting ensuing."  I have a much higher opinion of my fellow citizens.

That said, you are entitled to your opinion and I've stated mine.  I don't plan to debate it further.  BTW, I'm vaccinated and wear a mask where I deem it proper, even though I also know from the published, peer-reviewed science that they are largely ineffective.  Cheers. 😉

Sadly, your expressed position is shared by a certain swath of the population and is precisely why the US has fared so poorly throughout the COVID crisis compared to some other countries.  It is also the reason why we are currently unable to cruise from the US  right now.

I am quite clear as to why the COVID situation is the way it is in the US and who bears responsibility for it.  I do agree with you that I don't plan to debate this further with you.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

I disagree. Have you seen some of the fights in airports because a person is not wearing a mask. The bath and body store fight is a classic and the only reason someone has not gotten seriously hurt is because their were people around to break it up. 

Yes...and people have indeed gotten shot in the US over mask disputes during the last year.  Not a shooting...but just over the weekend a patron at a fast food restaurant (in Texas I think) stabbed a restaurant employee because he was told to wear a mask or leave.  These things have happened and continue to happen whether people want to believe it or not.  What's gonna happen on a cruise ship when certain people refuse to mask up?  

5 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Well, @MichiganBound, some of us strongly believe that our nation's Constitution, and the protections it affords us, are not set aside in the midst of a pandemic just because a national health agency and certain politicians feel it is within their power to do so.  Our rights don't end where other's feelings begin.

That argument sounds oh so familiar  --- wait for it  ---  same argument when smoking bans in public areas were proposed and eventually implemented to some degree in more states than not.  Who/what determines your rights vs the rights of those around you?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Well, @MichiganBound, some of us strongly believe that our nation's Constitution, and the protections it affords us, are not set aside in the midst of a pandemic just because a national health agency and certain politicians feel it is within their power to do so.  Our rights don't end where other's feelings begin. 

Thank you and well said.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

the Constitution is a piece of paper.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

That argument sounds oh so familiar  --- wait for it  ---  same argument when smoking bans in public areas were proposed and eventually implemented to some degree in more states than not.  Who/what determines your rights vs the rights of those around you?

aaaand i am still angered by smoking bans

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

the Constitution is a piece of paper.

You know @MSUjohn, I'll will defend your right to say that, but the Constitution is so much more than the parchment on which it is written.  It is a vision for the greatest Republic in the world, a charter for an unbreakable Union of States, and our calling card to the World that people fight to be a part of.  GOD Bless the USA!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

You know @MSUjohn, I'll will defend your right to say that, but the Constitution is so much more than the parchment on which it is written.  It is a vision for the greatest Republic in the world, a charter for an unbreakable Union of States, and our calling card to the World that people fight to be a part of.  GOD Bless the USA!

i wish i could believe that.

1 hour ago, MSUjohn said:

aaaand i am still angered by smoking bans

And I am still so thankful that they happened. As a waitress during high school and college, I remember the difference in cleaning routines from smoking section to non- the color of the cloths from the smoking section and how gross the cleaning bucket was. I remember having to pay other waitresses to work the smoking sections (they were smokers and didn’t mind). So glad that service/bartender health mattered.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MichiganBound said:

I don't see much happening out of the US until autumn 2021 or later.  If we had a more precaution-compliant population here in the US, cruising could start sooner....say in the summer.  Sadly, we have too many people that refuse to respect the rules and mitigations to avoid catching COVID. 

The problem with that, MI, is that states that locked down and required masking and states that didn't have basically the same infection and death rates.  Who should be making the "rules"?  People who keep flip-flopping on what they are?  Or individuals that weigh their own risks and accept their own consequences?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

I think smoking is a disgusting habit, and people under 30 who do it have no excuse.  That said, it makes no sense to me to tell a private business owner that he cannot have smokers in his bar.  The key word there is "HIS."  Nobody has to be in that bar; before bans we regularly patronized those restaurants without smoking sections.  Our choice.  Just as it was the private business' choice whether to allow smoking or not.

Obesity is a far bigger and more expensive problem in the US, but I don't see legislation requiring a limit on how many trips to the buffet someone can make or how many donuts somebody can eat in a single sitting.

Edited by Incognito1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1