With the recent announcements of porting from St. Martin and Nassau, I am wondering if plans for Grandeur to sail from Barbados have been cancelled. I've seen nothing recently about that which was to start this summer. Any news?

We are booked for December 5th sailing, the first one out of Barbados. We are thinking of rebooking for January, Feb or March. Not sure we want to be on the first sailing and would rather Royal work out any "kinks" on other passengers first LOL

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

We are booked for December 5th sailing, the first one out of Barbados. We are thinking of rebooking for January, Feb or March. Not sure we want to be on the first sailing and would rather Royal work out any "kinks" on other passengers first LOL

Barbados has long been home port to other cruise lines.  Most shoreside workers aren't Royal employees but the same local residents that have been doing this for years.  With a late departure guests will be arriving throughout the day.

Inaugural cruises often have an extra bit of excitement to them so cancel if you feel so inclined but there aren't really any major kinks to work out.  Worst case is a minor kink that delays boarding a few minutes quickly forgotten once the first drink is in hand.

Edited by twangster
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you twangster. that is good to know about not being a new port for many other sailings. 

Photo from 2017 below.  The P&O Britannia in Barbados.  Until Iona was recently built she was the flagship and largest ship in the P&O fleet.  With a capacity over 3,600 it makes her a good bit larger than Grandeur.  Their website also shows the P&O Azura homeported in Barbados.  They move to the Caribbean for the UK winters.  

1712AN-500.jpg

Barbados has a long history with England.  It has been a popular Caribbean destination and get-away for UK tourists with many direct flights from London.  That made it a natural place to homeport on a seasonal basis for P&O. 

At one time the Concorde flew directly to Bridgetown from London.  For aviation buffs the Concorde Museum at the Bridgetown airport contains one of the only Concorde aircraft where you can enter and walk through the plane. 

Carnival used to interport from Barbados as well.  They had San Juan based ships that took on some guests in Barbados.

Granted it doesn't have a fancy modern cruise terminal like you find in Miami so it will be a different embarkation experience.   I expect some US guests will blow this out of proportion when they board there.

If there are kinks for Grandeur they should be minor for a relatively small ship compared to what Barbados is used to homeporting.

Edited by twangster
20 hours ago, 39august said:

With the recent announcements of porting from St. Martin and Nassau, I am wondering if plans for Grandeur to sail from Barbados have been cancelled. I've seen nothing recently about that which was to start this summer. Any news?

Why would they cancel?  The released itineraries mid jan with sailing beginning dec 5th 2021 thru april 2022.   Excellent itineraries.   I'm excited for the b2b we booked for Feb 2022.   Sales have been great most of the sailing sold out of balconies rather quick.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them start sailing grandeur out of barbados sooner than December.

•  

Inaugural cruises often have an extra bit of excitement to them so cancel if you feel so inclined but there aren't really any major kinks to work out.  Worst case is a minor kink that delays boarding a few minutes quickly forgotten once the first drink is in hand.

Edited 15 hours ago by twangster

This isn't going to be the typical "inaugural cruise" with all the implicated covid protocols......that's IF it sails.