Jump to content

Private Island


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Yes, Celebrity uses those sites but doesn’t have one of its own.

Don't they belong to RCG, not RCI, for the use of its various lines? 

Edited by Fouremco
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Celebrity had an island at the level of Holland America's Half Moon Cay, I'd be in heaven. 

 

Easily the best private island I've been to... although we haven't made it to Disney's Castaway Cay yet. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

If Celebrity had an island at the level of Holland America's Half Moon Cay, I'd be in heaven. 

 

Easily the best private island I've been to... although we haven't made it to Disney's Castaway Cay yet. 

Absolutely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

If Celebrity had an island at the level of Holland America's Half Moon Cay, I'd be in heaven. 

 

Easily the best private island I've been to... although we haven't made it to Disney's Castaway Cay yet. 

 

I liked Half Moon Cay but I prefer Coco Cay over Half Moon  now that they have a dock at Coco Cay and added many amenities. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

 

I liked Half Moon Cay but I prefer Coco Cay over Half Moon  now that they have a dock at Coco Cay and added many amenities. 

It's the lack of amenities that makes HMC so attractive for many of us. Take a short walk beyond the madding crowd and you can imagine yourself alone on a desert island.

 

P1030115.thumb.jpeg.0614dbdb70ed7bbf2804dc28a63c9e0f.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the issue with both private islands is they are pretty much consumed with the Royal ships.  It's the sort of stop that is more in line with their product.   We were scheduled for Labadee in January 2022 on Connie but had the itinerary modified due to "scheduling conflict".   So it appears that RCL ships trump Celebrity for this stop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think the issue with both private islands is they are pretty much consumed with the Royal ships.  It's the sort of stop that is more in line with their product.   We were scheduled for Labadee in January 2022 on Connie but had the itinerary modified due to "scheduling conflict".   So it appears that RCL ships trump Celebrity for this stop.

  I have done Labadee twice on Celebrity and never have done Coco Cay on Celebrity. Celebrity rarely does either Labadee or Coco Cay. Royal Caribbean has priority for both. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Having never been to one, what is the attraction of these private islands?

Really just beaches and trails, not a whole lot more, IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Having never been to one, what is the attraction of these private islands?

 

These are resorts whose entry and merchants are  controlled by the cruise line.   Actually, Labadee is not an island.  It is a resort in Haiti leased to Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.    Labadee is fenced in and monitored by a security force.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Having never been to one, what is the attraction of these private islands?

I suggest that you do a Google images search. Some are like amusement parks and others left very natural. It varies quite a bit from line to line how they approach it. We enjoy the very natural islands, like Half Moon Cay but understand why the hordes of RCI kids enjoy the amusement park style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps the cruise lines who have gone offshore are hoping to prove, like the lines in Europe, that it can be done safely.  The on again/off again sailing in the Med. is the result of what is going on onshore, not on the ships.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I suggest that you do a Google images search. Some are like amusement parks and others left very natural. It varies quite a bit from line to line how they approach it. We enjoy the very natural islands, like Half Moon Cay but understand why the hordes of RCI kids enjoy the amusement park style.

I had a mind image of folk going ashore just to lie on a beach. When I go ashore I like to see and do things that are interesting. If I want to lie on a beach, and add to my collection of collection of basal and squamous cell excision scars, I can do that at home. I do accept that many cruisers are not as fortunate as I and live in areas where that cannot be done. To others it is how they relax. Cool with that.

Since posting my question I remembered one private island I visited in Dec 2018 on HAL Noordam. It was one of the Conflict Island group in the Coral Sea owned by an Australian but is part of Papua New Guinea. The owner has a deal with Carnival for HAL, Princess et al to visit. It has a sea turtle conservation and research facility and also has the best coral reef snorkeling I have ever done. It's one to put on your (non X) to-do list when all this COVID stuff is sorted.

The Coral Sea was also the setting for the biggest Pacific naval battle of WW2 between the USN and  Japan so it may also have a historical interest for North Americans.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...