Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

What Covid cases?  

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The ones in quarantine? Very unlikely!

For a start the 23 that flew in recently, more on the way. The floodgates are slowly opening.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, NSWP said:

For a start the 23 that flew in recently, more on the way.

NZ is quite capable of handling those but may need to pause flights from certain countries at times. Just like Victoria does every time they have an outbreak.

• Like 1

This is a great article from the Queensland Govt. that cover the facts v fiction about Covid vaccine. So much misinformation around so this helps when having a conversation - AND it’s a Government article:

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/news/armed-with-facts-navigate-casual-vaccine-chat-at-your-next-gathering?fbclid=IwAR1irj48Mvt7fv4HIsE--B5kNadVD1ax6r2ExoaOJkY0WlKUpt3-C9iPu4E

And this one:

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/news-events/news/how-to-stop-the-spread-of-vaccine-myths

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

The daily count for Australia might be helpful:

994072DB-CA00-4C61-BDFA-D70595E2D13E.png

Would be nice if they could do similar for vaccinations, as Victoria is doing. I really feel the Federal Govt has been at best disorganised and at worst lackadaisical re vaccines. Surely every resident and staff in aged care should be vaccinated by now, not to mention front line staff.

6 minutes ago, nnps said:

Would be nice if they could do similar for vaccinations, as Victoria is doing. I really feel the Federal Govt has been at best disorganised and at worst lackadaisical re vaccines. Surely every resident and staff in aged care should be vaccinated by now, not to mention front line staff.

Mentioned on TV this morning only one front line staffer in disability care has been vaccinated - during a photo shoot with the PM. None since. Disgraceful.

I recall it was an interview with Sally McManus ACTU secretary.

Edited by lyndarra
added source info

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Mentioned on TV this morning only one front line staffer in disability care has been vaccinated - during a photo shoot with the PM. None since. Disgraceful.

I recall it was an interview with Sally McManus ACTU secretary.

I read that some frontline workers are choosing not to get the jab.

15 minutes ago, nnps said:

There is a lot of misinformation about who to blame about this.

The official line from the Health website is -

The Vaccination Policy outlines that the Australian Government will have responsibility for, but not limited to:

• selecting and purchasing safe and effective vaccines approved by the TGA
  • arranging the safe transportation of vaccine doses from suppliers to the storage and administration sites
  • prioritising at-risk population groups for immunisation, as advised by ATAGI
  • specifying the types of locations vaccination should take place.

State and territory governments will each be responsible for developing their COVID-19 vaccination implementation plans, in line with the national COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Australian Government expectations.

The Australian Government will work together with state and territory governments to make specific arrangements for aged care facilities, Indigenous communities and disability group residences to easily access vaccination.

What I have been told (friend in health) is federal is responsible to supply the states but the States and Territories are responsible for the actual rollout.

The main reason is that Pfiser was determined to be for the 1a vaccinations ( hospital staff, health workers, and aged care facilitites, etc.) which need the better refrigeration and also has a supply issue. While astra zenica was for the 1b group and is being  done by local GPs. This may explain the slower rollout.

• Like 1

It's all well and good for the Monday morning quarterbacks, to quote a Yank expression, to point the fingers of blame, mostly for political purposes, when supply has been sabotaged by the EU, unseen problems have arisen regarding side effects etc. Whoever is hiding their crystal ball please lend it to the relevant people as they don't have one, which is apparently what some people expect. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, nnps said:

yes, the latest updates from Vic Health have daily vaccs and totals.

This is the website I use to check the Covid stats, it has the stats for every state including vaccination totals.  

https://covidlive.com.au/nsw

Here's a snapshot of the NSW vaccination stats from today.

Screenshot_20210414-120136_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

The Australian Health website has this data, dated 12 April.

image.thumb.png.6e4cbe93648c86a5dd33b70dee661130.png

Thanks, yes that is interesting. Of course, it does leave out the number of doses we actually have in Australia, which last report I saw was something like 4,000,000.

This ABC page has some interesting reading too. (although Russel won't like it as it's probably too political)  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

On 4/7/2021 at 3:05 PM, bazzaw said:

Will you please stop speaking the truth and arguing logically when it comes to Covid19

LOL - Yes, seems in some people overrides logic it seems.

Truth - well one of my favourite quotes about that sums it up:

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.

Josh Billings

Best not point out other facts like vaccine 'protection' only lasts about 6 months based on current research, so can't see them being a long term answer, especially if you need to get 2 jabs some time apart - planning vaccinations around a cruise date to get them done in time, but not be past the 6 month mark could be a juggling act! 😄 

1 hour ago, avalon007 said:

LOL - Yes, seems in some people overrides logic it seems.

Truth - well one of my favourite quotes about that sums it up:

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.

Josh Billings

Best not point out other facts like vaccine 'protection' only lasts about 6 months based on current research, so can't see them being a long term answer, especially if you need to get 2 jabs some time apart - planning vaccinations around a cruise date to get them done in time, but not be past the 6 month mark could be a juggling act! 😄 

Best not post erroneous information a "facts"; at this point in time I have heard of no "research" to suggest an efficacy of 6 months for the vaccine. Right now here in BC we are holding the second dose for up to 4 months in an effort to get first doses to more people as quickly as possible with the limited supply trickling in. I suspect that the supply situation may ease in the coming months as the US begins to release some of their supply as many people there have already had both doses. We will see what happens with our supplies in the next few months.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Best not post erroneous information a "facts"; at this point in time I have heard of no "research" to suggest an efficacy of 6 months for the vaccine. Right now here in BC we are holding the second dose for up to 4 months in an effort to get first doses to more people as quickly as possible with the limited supply trickling in. I suspect that the supply situation may ease in the coming months as the US begins to release some of their supply as many people there have already had both doses. We will see what happens with our supplies in the next few months.

There was a recent “letter” in the New England Journal of medicine about tracking how long the Modena vaccine lasts. Measured up to 180 and 209 days. 

Results showed that there was still strong reactions. However, there was a downward trend in strength. 

As to time between injections, seems to depend on the drug, and how it works in the body to provide protection.  Pfizer is 3 weeks between doses. Astra here is 12 weeks.

7 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

There was a recent “letter” in the New England Journal of medicine about tracking how long the Modena vaccine lasts. Measured up to 180 and 209 days. 

Results showed that there was still strong reactions. However, there was a downward trend in strength. 

As to time between injections, seems to depend on the drug, and how it works in the body to provide protection.  Pfizer is 3 weeks between doses. Astra here is 12 weeks.

Thanks Adrian, at this point in time we both know that a generic efficacy of 6 months is really not provable being it is barely 6 months since the vaccines have begun testing. 

For the time between doses it started at 3 weeks and early on they stuck to that and some have had both doses already. As it became clear that we were not going to have our contracts honoured as promised, the decision was made to open up the gap between doses no matter what vaccine. the new time line in BC between doses is 16 weeks (of course that decision was made literally 2 days before my 88 year old mother in law was scheduled for her second dose) She is still waiting for the second dose, Lynn has had her first dose and I am still waiting for my first dose but am "registered".

I just have a problem when some people peddle unproven and unavailable data as "fact".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Adrian, at this point in time we both know that a generic efficacy of 6 months is really not provable being it is barely 6 months since the vaccines have begun testing. 

For the time between doses it started at 3 weeks and early on they stuck to that and some have had both doses already. As it became clear that we were not going to have our contracts honoured as promised, the decision was made to open up the gap between doses no matter what vaccine. the new time line in BC between doses is 16 weeks (of course that decision was made literally 2 days before my 88 year old mother in law was scheduled for her second dose) She is still waiting for the second dose, Lynn has had her first dose and I am still waiting for my first dose but am "registered".

I just have a problem when some people peddle unproven and unavailable data as "fact".

Are many people over there declining the AZ jab, Lyle? Quite a few here.

Just now, NSWP said:

Are many people over there declining the AZ jab, Lyle? Quite a few here.

I think people are leery about it but so far I don't know of many "refusing" I know it has been made available at some Pharmacies and they aren't having a problem finding takers. I think the risk is something like 1 in 100,000.. Reports are sketchy, there is no definitive number so far. It seems the "at risk" group includes women under the age of 55 but like I said they are a little short on answers and that is not helpful.

• Like 1

I got covid-vaccine-lucky today. I had to go to my GP and while chatting with him the topic of the vaccine schedule came up with me saying I didn't know when I'd get mine. "No problem" says my doc, "just ask the receptionists to put you on the left-over dose list". He explained that the vaccine comes in vials containing ten doses and once open they are only good for about six hours. They don't want to waste any doses if there aren't enough appointments for them that day so if there are any doses left they will ring you to see if you can come in immediately. So I asked for my name to be added to the list and went home. I'd just got home and my phone rang "we have one dose left today, do you want it?" So I raced back and got vaccinated. 

I'm really happy I managed to get my vaccine within a couple of weeks of Rolf's. Now I won't have to worry about "will I, won't I, get it in time" in the remote chance cruising does start in October.

• Like 7