Alaska - Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Photo Safari

dwlmg

It appears our June 2021 Alaska cruise is not going to go.  My booking is locked on MyViking Journey and VIking no longer lists any 2021 Alaska cruises on their web site.

We are planning for 2022 and with our voucher, trying to decide if we should do a cabin upgrade.  One of the benefits of the upgrade is earlier access to excursions.  I am interested in the photo safari.  a) Anyone have experience with it? and b) does it sell out fast?

I did this excursion in 2019.  The tour company did an excellent job getting us to where the whales were.  The boats they use are built for photography with large windows that open upwards allowing unobstructed view.  I Googled the name of the excursion in advance and figured out that Gastineau Guides does the excursion and read more about it.  The glacier portion was a nice walk thru the woods to an overlook but you don't get anywhere near the glacier.  I really enjoyed the excursion.

We had a DV cabin and I was able to get the excursion, but I logged on just before excursion reservations opened and reserved this one first as it was my highest priority.