Jump to content

Solo cruisers living alone in there own homes


Recommended Posts

Perfectly. Apparently I was born for a pandemic. I had no problem not leaving the house/property,  not seeing anyone and just talking on the phone when I wanted to.  And, my yard last summer looked better than it had in years. Now that I’m vaccinated the family is expecting  me for Easter.  I guess my little solo party is over. 🤷‍♀️

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying it thoroughly. I've lived alone for years now, and don't miss having someone else around. I have gotten used to doing what I want when I want, knowing where things are right where I left them, and even fixing what I want to eat---when I want to eat it. Or even skip a meal if I feel like it. 
So, being on solitary confinement for a year hasn't been much different from 'real life'. 

Makes me wonder if I will be able to board a cruise ship and mix & mingle again! Hopefully, that's a skill that comes right back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Enjoying it thoroughly. I've lived alone for years now, and don't miss having someone else around. I have gotten used to doing what I want when I want, knowing where things are right where I left them, and even fixing what I want to eat---when I want to eat it. Or even skip a meal if I feel like it. 
So, being on solitary confinement for a year hasn't been much different from 'real life'. 

Only thing that I really missed was church activities. Watching online just wasn't the same.  Now that I have had my 2 vaccines and waited more that 14 days I can attend services in person, so I am happy. 

Can't wait to be on a blue hulled beauty again.

Jane

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than each time I would need to leave my "bubble" for groceries, appointments, the post office, banking, or--most importantly, a visit to my wine store--I am OK with my lifestyle.  Love it?  No.  But, now that I have both doses of the vaccine, I am a bit more confident than when I make an errand that I am Covid "safe".  But, I am very concerned about those who say that they won't receive the vaccine and how there actions are going to eventually impact my lifestyle.  

 

Whatever happened to the concept that one does what one ought to do in the best interest of the common good?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Life has been pretty much normal for me for some time. Have been able to go to movies, cafes, restaurants etc.. Theatres are re-opening (have booked seats for Hamilton next month. Our state borders have re-opened. The only thing I really miss is international travel due to it being banned except in special circumstances. This is not too big a deal because there are very few places where it's safe to go.

Thanks go to our federal and state governments and fellow citizens for pulling together in seeing this through with minimal pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get my second part of the vaccine in about 2 weeks. I’ll finally will be able to see my grandchildren again around the end of April. Its been  long haul for many of us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than not traveling, life is pretty much the same for me. I do go to the grocery store, CVS, bank, etc. observing protocols. One nice thing is that early on, neighbors on my cul-de-sac started a Happy Hour once a week where at, we each bring our own chair, drinks, snacks or whatever and sit in the street and chat. I have seen more of my neighbors in the past year that did in the 20 years I have lived here. There are 11 of us max and it is something to look forward to every week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RuthC said:

Enjoying it thoroughly. I've lived alone for years now, and don't miss having someone else around. I have gotten used to doing what I want when I want, knowing where things are right where I left them, and even fixing what I want to eat---when I want to eat it. Or even skip a meal if I feel like it. 
So, being on solitary confinement for a year hasn't been much different from 'real life'. 

Makes me wonder if I will be able to board a cruise ship and mix & mingle again! Hopefully, that's a skill that comes right back. 

Ruth:  In general I feel the same way.  However, I do live far from any family in a persistent covid-19 hotspot.  For the first time I have felt that distance, in that I have been concerned about accident or illness in isolation.  Thankfully, not only have I now been vaccinated, but my children and several grandchildren also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

One nice thing is that early on, neighbors on my cul-de-sac started a Happy Hour once a week where at, we each bring our own chair, drinks, snacks or whatever and sit in the street and chat. I have seen more of my neighbors in the past year that did in the 20 years I have lived here. There are 11 of us max and it is something to look forward to every week. 

 

This is a great idea and thing to do.  Living in the condo community in which I do, we could have done something like this as well.  If this socially distancing, mask wearing "stuff" continues, I am going to suggest to our Management Company and our Board (one of which is me) that we try to do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's encouraging to read that you have all adjusted to and are thriving during the pandemic.

It has been harder for me.  My husband died unexpectedly (not COVID related) in October.  I find myself feeling isolated.

 

My neighbors and friends have been wonderful as my family does not live nearby.  My dog is my constant companion.  She's a sweetheart.

 

I will have the second vaccine shot in early April.  Looking forward to visiting my family.

 

B

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our business is essential and in the beginning it was just my brother and I here, employees came back to work in May, still some office people working remote, its their choice.

 

I use my Chase Sapphire points for groceries and insta-cart membership. They gave $40 statement credit for joining insta-cart and they allow you to get statement credits using points for groceries, so $100 in points is good for $150 in statement credit of groceries. I have only been in a store maybe 3 times since a year ago. I love grocery delivery.

 

I have lived alone for so long I just prefer it. Lots of medical issues this year and it took 3 hospital visits (no frequent flyer miles) and a ton of test to get a diagnosis. What wears me out is many of my symptoms are similar to Covid so its hard to see a Dr. right away. 8 Covid tests, all negative. Saturday I get dose 2.

 

We are getting so close to being over this.

A-

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mame42 said:

Ruth:  In general I feel the same way.  However, I do live far from any family in a persistent covid-19 hotspot.  For the first time I have felt that distance, in that I have been concerned about accident or illness in isolation.  Thankfully, not only have I now been vaccinated, but my children and several grandchildren also.

I understand. It is scary to be alone, and wonder what would happen if you had an emergency and couldn't get to a phone, or something along those lines. 
One of the great things about being on a cruise is that someone would notice if you were missing, and hopefully send out the search parties. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Our business is essential and in the beginning it was just my brother and I here, employees came back to work in May, still some office people working remote, its their choice.

 

I use my Chase Sapphire points for groceries and insta-cart membership. They gave $40 statement credit for joining insta-cart and they allow you to get statement credits using points for groceries, so $100 in points is good for $150 in statement credit of groceries. I have only been in a store maybe 3 times since a year ago. I love grocery delivery.

 

I have lived alone for so long I just prefer it. Lots of medical issues this year and it took 3 hospital visits (no frequent flyer miles) and a ton of test to get a diagnosis. What wears me out is many of my symptoms are similar to Covid so its hard to see a Dr. right away. 8 Covid tests, all negative. Saturday I get dose 2.

 

We are getting so close to being over this.

A-

 

 

🌺Stay positive!! I have given my volunteering as a retired DDS doing vaccines! I am happy for you! I hope your diagnosis will finally get rectified and on the road to recovery! Your right we are close to finally getting close!

Denise😊

Edited by DeeniEncinitas
Addition
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RuthC said:

I understand. It is scary to be alone, and wonder what would happen if you had an emergency and couldn't get to a phone, or something along those lines. 
One of the great things about being on a cruise is that someone would notice if you were missing, and hopefully send out the search parties. 

It was not so much that, as I have wonderful close friends who are also single; we check up on each other.  It was the thought that my children were several states, or even continents away and unable to travel; how would that affect my medical POA?  LOL.  Pre 2020 GWV, we so carefully arranged a limited POA based on which family member lived closest to an international airport, and we made sure that passports were up to date and funds immediately available.  Little did we know that no one was going anywhere!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RuthC said:

I understand. It is scary to be alone, and wonder what would happen if you had an emergency and couldn't get to a phone, or something along those lines. 
One of the great things about being on a cruise is that someone would notice if you were missing, and hopefully send out the search parties. 

Here is a little tip for you.  Any cell phone that has ever been activated, even if not in service now, can be used to call 911.  If you have an old cell phone, charge it up and keep it on your person at all times.

Another alternative is to get one of those medic-alert panic buttons that will call for help if you fall and can't get  up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2021 at 7:02 PM, bellebaby said:

It's encouraging to read that you have all adjusted to and are thriving during the pandemic.

It has been harder for me.  My husband died unexpectedly (not COVID related) in October.  I find myself feeling isolated.

 

My neighbors and friends have been wonderful as my family does not live nearby.  My dog is my constant companion.  She's a sweetheart.

 

I will have the second vaccine shot in early April.  Looking forward to visiting my family.

 

B

 

 

I am so sorry for your loss. It must be especially hard on you without family nearby. I'm glad that your friends are able to comfort you and that you have your pup to give you joy and companionship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Reading this thread confirms my faith in this community. There are a lot of strong clear headed people here. Good for you....all of you......Keep Calm and Carry On.

Edited by DFD1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice, and very spry, lady I'm worried about is HAL President's Club member  Dolly Smith. She was very used to spending the majority of the year onboard a HAL ship and hasn't been able to do so for twelve months. Hoping she is doing well health wise up there in Oregon and that she has folks around her for company! 

HAL AMDM SS Lito with Dolly 2014 Grand Asia & Pacific voyage.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I live in a Continuing Care Retirement Community.  We were asked to stay in our units for quite a few months in 2020.  It was difficult because one of the major advantages of living in a community like this is the socialization that is readily available.  It was remarkable, however, to see how everyone figured out a way to keep that socialization going -- ZOOM meetings, Conference Call games, Round Robin Telephone Calls, etc. 

 

Being a Solo Cruiser means I have gotten used to being by myself.  The folks I have concern for are those who are newly solo due to the loss of a loved one.  So many people have experienced a loss during these past twelve months and they haven't had the normal "closure" rituals that help so much.

 

Please know, Newly Solo Cruisers, that many of care!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

She was very used to spending the majority of the year onboard a HAL ship and hasn't been able to do so for twelve months.

 

There are others whom I have met over the years that spent much of the year sailing the seven seas.  I remember them and wonder how they are doing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...