Changing Travel Agents

Do we have to use the same ta we booked our now cancelled cruise for another cruise?  Another ta is showing a cruise we are interested in at a cheaper price with a few more perks so it would make sense to book with them (using our FCC of course).

You can change TA's if you want.

I rebooked recently and the different TA was able to access my account with Cunard and could confirm the two (enhanced) deposits, which I combined, then used to book October '22.

12 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

You can change TA's if you want.

I rebooked recently and the different TA was able to access my account with Cunard and could confirm the two (enhanced) deposits, which I combined, then used to book October '22.

Are you sure about that? I am surprised the original TA would let the credit move over? Would their not be a fee to pay or something?

We've had an email from our TA to say that they are AS YET NOT IN RECEIPT OF OUR MONEY, but once they are they will be in touch. I assume that this means that if we approach another TA before the original firm receive back our money we are free to change firms.

8 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Are you sure about that? I am surprised the original TA would let the credit move over? Would their not be a fee to pay or something?

Absolutely positive. I combined the two deposits and used them both to book for Canaries 2022 using a different TA.

It's Cunard who has your deposits, not the TA.

39 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Absolutely positive. I combined the two deposits and used them both to book for Canaries 2022 using a different TA.

It's Cunard who has your deposits, not the TA.

Absolutely correct. Any amounts held by Cunard on your behalf are held in your name, by them. It is up to you who 'manages' that account when the time comes to use that money against another cruise.

That has not been my experience with the TA we booked through 

apparently they had a (deal) with Cunard that when we pay 15% deposit they transfer 5% to Cunard and keep the balance in their coffers till payment is required I have this in writing from one of their staff. The problems arose last year as all the offices closed and we were trying to locate where our deposits had gone not a good experience for us.

27 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

That has not been my experience with the TA we booked through 

apparently they had a (deal) with Cunard that when we pay 15% deposit they transfer 5% to Cunard and keep the balance in their coffers till payment is required I have this in writing from one of their staff. The problems arose last year as all the offices closed and we were trying to locate where our deposits had gone not a good experience for us.

Time to change agents?

11 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Time to change agents?

Absolutely right,and have done already but still waiting for my  cancelled transatlantic June cruise deposits to be refunded then will not touch them with a barge pole.

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

we pay 15% deposit they transfer 5% to Cunard and keep the balance in their coffers till payment is required I have this in writing from one of their staff

And they earn interest on that 10% withheld money no doubt. I am surprised Cunard would go for that.

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And they earn interest on that 10% withheld money no doubt. I am surprised Cunard would go for that.

So were we absolutely gobsmacked, it’s taken a lot of grief to recover all our deposits from previous cruises.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

So were we absolutely gobsmacked, it’s taken a lot of grief to recover all our deposits from previous cruises.

Sadly there appear to be a few bad actors in this game. I had a bad do with an agency for the big trip we booked on christmas a few years back. Anyway it all got started when another agency tried to ninja the agency I was using (a world of warcraft expression for steal) for our cruise. We are on the TPS (UK do not call list for the Americans with fines of thousands of pounds if you do) and another agency rang me - no idea now they got my number - and asked me a question did you book your big cruise for a low or high deposit. It was high deposit if he had been low he want me to cancel and come with him and he would give onboard spending paying the whole amount my cabin would be booked so as not be oversold. And Cunard didn't know me the other agency had not submitted cabins sales to them until later one. Bad that.

Have you informed Cunard of this situation? Surely Cunard would drop these guys, take them to court or whatever. I doubt any agency would have that "special arrangement" with them. That could be pushing the envelope on fraud you know withholding money like that.

Edited by ace2542

Yes Cunard know, it’s one of the biggest agencies they use it’s an agreement they have with them shocking but I suppose that’s how they do business just waiting for my refund and then  I will delete them out of my life.

Posted (edited)

If a TA withheld a percentage of the deposit, and the trip was cancelled, when Cunard offer to enhance the amount paid by 25%, does that also apply to the monies held by the TA?

Sounds a bit dodgy. 

Edited by BigMac1953
3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

If a TA withheld a percentage of the deposit, and the trip was cancelled, when Cunard offer to enhance the amount paid by 25%, does that also apply to the monies held by the TA?

Sounds a bit dodgy. 

Deffo sounds dodgy. When you consider they have likely transferred that money overseas for a period of months to get more interest. The larger ones have overseas offices or are registered overseas so are able to do that.

8 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes Cunard know, it’s one of the biggest agencies they use it’s an agreement they have with them shocking but I suppose that’s how they do business just waiting for my refund and then  I will delete them out of my life.

I suspect we may have the same one. No names mods don't worry. I wonder what adventures I will have when I attempt to transfer my upcoming November 2021 because we don't want to wear mask and can't do the Bahamas entry test from onboard our Royal ship.

13 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Sounds a bit dodgy. 

Yes that’s exactly how we found out because Cunard were only offering 25% of the 5% deposit then we queried with TA where was the 10% to be told the head office was in receipt of it.

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I suspect we may have the same one. No names mods don't worry. I wonder what adventures I will have when I attempt to transfer my upcoming November 2021 because we don't want to wear mask and can't do the Bahamas entry test from onboard our Royal ship.

Good luck we have now opted for all our cancellations to be refunded even though we will have lost out on the extra 25% FCC just not worth the hassle 

3 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Good luck we have now opted for all our cancellations to be refunded even though we will have lost out on the extra 25% FCC just not worth the hassle 

What gets me is they have not been in contact to discuss anything with us or offer any advice moving forward with all these changing requirements. Bad considering the loyalty we showed them in rebooking with them in the midst of pandemic.

55 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

That is such a shame.

I logged into my Cunard account this morning and a red banner with the amount we have 'on account'' came up.

It's a large amount with considerable goodwill. Great 'investment'. It's such a shame the decent agents can't be named [I don't think naming and shaming is a great idea at all] but I understand why.

Maybe one day, you'll be at a CC meet up and you'll get some good feedback on reliable agents.