The Daily for Wednesday Mar 24, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone!

I do like chocolate covered raisins, but haven't had them in years!

We will be going to Sydney on our upcoming cruise (August 2022 on Nieuw Statendam). We were supposed to go there in 2010 on our Eurodam Canada/New England cruise....however, we had to stay overnight in Charlottetown because of Hurricane Igor passing by.  When we left there the next morning, we ran into a secondary low following the storm, and had 30-40 foot seas most of the day.  In fact, in the morning I was in the Crow's Nest and a wave broke on the windows up there!  It was the only time I got seasick on a cruise, and spent most of the day in the cabin laying down.  My DH was up and about all day. At one point he was near the shops when we hit a wave, and LOTS of bottles of booze fell off the shelves and broke! It was a rough day.  The wind and waves let up around 3pm, and even though it was a formal night we ate (lightly!) in the Lido - the thought of getting dressed up for dinner was definitely NOT in my plans!!

Good news - my older DS got his first COVID shot yesterday!  So now my younger DS and DH are both complete with both doses, and I'll be getting my second dose next week.  Looking forward to seeing people again!!

Have a great day - I have a two day pre-retirement seminar today and tomorrow, on Zoom.  I'll still check in here later to see all the updates!

Laura

• Like 26

Rich you outdid yourself with the Daily today. Thank you.

Ann I'm so glad to see you posting today! I'll wager Bindi is happy as well! And good morning my west coast sis Denise. Love you girls! Roy you are in my prayers. 

We have been to Sydney. We took the NCL Gem from Quebec to Boston. I'll track down some pictures. I think everyone has a picture of the famous fiddle, right?

A beautiful day yesterday. Had a Whataburger lunch with my sweet husband (no bread, no fries for me) then took Elvis out for a spin.

Today we're meeting a couple for pedicures and a late lunch. I'm doing my chores now. It will be a good day, and beautiful weather.

Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 21

Thank you Rich, Roy, the drinks and recipe ladies and everyone on the Daily.

A nice combo of days today.  We'll have to make a 'happy drink' cocktail this afternoon to celebrate. 

It's supposed to be a rainy day today so just a few errands.  Costco called that DH's new glasses are in. 

In September 2019 we were supposed to stop in Sydney but Hurricane Dorian had other ideas so we missed Sydney and St Pierre and Miquelon while hiding out behind Anticosti Island.  The Captain did a great job keeping us in calmer waters, just a lot of rain and no outside decks open.  I've been to Sydney on a land trip of Nova Scotia and loved the Cabot Trail.

Prayers for those on the care list and those who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

We have white skies, so I suspect a marine layer. Sure would love a couple days of rain, but the closest we might come to that is drizzle for a few hours tomorrow. 

Today’s meal sounds good so I archived it for a future date. Likely a Sunday dinner when Dad joins us. We have ripe Meyer lemons now- not many, but some. The recipe is a good opportunity to use the new warming drawer in it’s slow cook function and take the pan where the chicken is browned into the drawer. (I just love the slow cook function on that drawer. It gives me a huge crock pot and I can run several separate  dishes at once.)

Finished photographing and writing copy for eBay, so today’s task is to proofread and post. 

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about Sidney. Have a great day everyone.

• Like 22

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  My favourite cocktail on a HAL ship is a Grapefruit Cosmo . . .yum.  DH loves chocolate covered raising - here they are called Glossettes and you can buy with raisins or peanuts.  I try to achieve something every day, even if it's just making my morning coffee.  LOL

Well we had a "small storm" yesterday - it dropped enough snow that we were able to use the heavy duty leaf blower to clear the driveway and sidewalks, then it warmed up in the afternoon.  There's another system coming through tomorrow that could see us with as much as another 20cm (7") of snow.  Ah, springtime on the "frozen tundra"!

I like the sound of today's menu suggestion, and will tuck it away for another time.  I made a perogie/sausage casserole yesterday that made a 9x13 pan, so there are a lot of leftovers.  We had it with a side of roasted asparagus, but for tonight will have a different vegetable to go with it.  And wine.   Speaking of which, I saw this the other day and chuckled . . .

image.png.29080a3228503194fbe1be7e1df61296.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses (and cocktail glasses, too!) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24

Like the others, I have been to Sydney, Nova Scotia several times. Unfortunately, not the one in Australia as of yet.  First time was the Maasdam, May 2006, on the reposition from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal.  It was very cool and raining, so we didn't appreciate it at all.  The last time was July, 2019, on the Zuiderdam on the Viking Passage from Copenhagen to Boston.   It was very warm and sunny, so just the opposite of the first visit.  We walked the old city and liked the waterfront.  Also rode the bus to North Sydney which passes the Ferry Dock to Newfoundland.  Cold beer and ice cream were popular as the temp was 30C.  They were constructing a new cruise ship dock which would allow the bigger ships to dock, so maybe it is done by now.  Little Sydney would be over run with 2 large ships in port at once, IMHO.

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
grammar
  • Like 20

Good morning.  Yea for my day!!  I"ve really learned a lot about cocktails on this thread.  Some are really hard to find information on.  Just picked up chocolate covered raisins at Costco on Monday.  Did a comparison between Costco and Sams and think we will stay with Sam's.  More of what we like.  High fives to all the achievers.  Interesting quote.  Meal sounds wonderful, neighbor has a lemon tree that we share.  We've been to Halifax on a road trip but never to Sydney.  Love the picture of the fiddle.  Roy your meal is one we have often.  Prayers for our care list, I hope Gsel is ok.  Glad Cat Shepard is feeling better.  Toasts to all, jabs are getting done!!  We ventured out to breakfast with my sister yesterday.  Felt safe in the small place we visit.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 19

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Another trio of good days. Raisinets used to be my favorite movie treat as a kid.

Nice meals, including Roy's.

I've never been to Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Yay, I'm considered fully immunized today! I'll be getting my hair cut this afternoon.

I'm glad more people are getting their shots. Our numbers are up in my county. We were around 250 new cases a day. Today 498. Not good. I know the colleges are opening up and their have been parties. Restaurant capacity will increase  in about 10 days. I hope this isn't the beginning of a spring surge.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

@rafinmdthank you for thinking of my grandsons' first day in-school classes.  It went well so now I can stop worrying about that!  😄

I love pretty much anything covered in chocolate, but prefer nuts over raisins.

The lemon chicken looks good -- last night I made the Manicotti meal from a few days ago and it's a keeper!!  Leftovers tonight.

I haven't seen Spy Valley SV here, but I love ANY New Zealand SV.  I wonder if @erewhonknows of this wine?

@cat shepardgreat news, so glad your bug was short-lived!

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to your DS and DDIL for getting their first jabs 🙂  and @kpladyto your DS for his first jab.  

I've been to Sydney 4 times, 3 of them with @richwmnand other CC friends.  Twice northbound from FL and once southbound, then again on the Voyage of the Vikings.

The first visit in 2012 we took a tour to the Fortress of Louisbourg, 2nd visit in 2016 a tour to Baddeck, 3rd visit in 2017 we rented a car with CC friends and Rich and drove part of the Cabot Trail.  Our last visit on the VOV we walked around town in the rain.  All good visits!

Fortress of Louisbourg, we were met by this soldier from 1744 😉 The costumes were all fun to see.

2127480620_soldierfrom1744.thumb.jpg.75fd36a56b7fc0812da5e529e94f9c20.jpg

Part of our drive on the Cabot Trail

961151589_CabotTrailfoliage.jpg.39c4e1bebeecac24edde1c8f6a35a179.jpg

Cabot Trail 2.jpg

1815686473_HenryCabotTrail.jpg.4595509bc1949ac28aefaa688fbfdb17.jpg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 28

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

@rafinmdthank you for thinking of my grandsons' first day in-school classes.  It went well so now I can stop worrying about that!  😄

I love pretty much anything covered in chocolate, but prefer nuts over raisins.

The lemon chicken looks good -- last night I made the Manicotti meal from a few days ago and it's a keeper!!  Leftovers tonight.

I haven't seen Spy Valley SV here, but I love ANY New Zealand SV.  I wonder if @erewhonknows of this wine?

@cat shepardgreat news, so glad your bug was short-lived!

@StLouisCruiserscongrats to your DS and DDIL for getting their first jabs 🙂  and @kpladyto your DS for his first jab.  

I've been to Sydney 4 times, 3 of them with @richwmnand other CC friends.  Twice northbound from FL and once southbound, then again on the Voyage of the Vikings.

The first visit in 2012 we took a tour to the Fortress of Louisbourg, 2nd visit in 2016 a tour to Baddeck, 3rd visit in 2017 we rented a car with CC friends and Rich and drove part of the Cabot Trail.  Our last visit on the VOV we walked around town in the rain.  All good visits!

Fortress of Louisbourg, we were met by this soldier from 1744 😉 The costumes were all fun to see.

2127480620_soldierfrom1744.thumb.jpg.75fd36a56b7fc0812da5e529e94f9c20.jpg

Part of our drive on the Cabot Trail

961151589_CabotTrailfoliage.jpg.39c4e1bebeecac24edde1c8f6a35a179.jpg

Cabot Trail 2.jpg

1815686473_HenryCabotTrail.jpg.4595509bc1949ac28aefaa688fbfdb17.jpg

Thank you for your photos of your trip outside town while docked in Sydney, NS.  Looks like something I would enjoy should we ever get back there.  I love looking at everyone else's photos!

• Like 15

Woke to 3 inches of snow this morning, but fortunately it is not sticking on the roads or driveway. The High Country is being hit with much more... thankfully. Anything to reduce the fire danger. Dogs were just starting to get used to doing their business on the grass rather than snow and they seemed a bit confused.

Spent most of yesterday trying to coordinate window/patio door instillation and building painting. Think things are set for early May. Weather should be good by then. We need a good spring spruce up. I still need to clean up flower beds. And oh yes... there was bear scat by the dumpster this morning. Need to post note on it to keep it locked!!!!

No real news from here. And right now quiet is the way I like it.

Susan

• Like 21

I've actually been to Sydney twice.  The first was 1994 on the Regent Sun (RIP Regency Cruises) and again on the Veendam August 21, 2013.  I did 2 tours that day starting with a walking tour of town that was interesting but not a lot I have nice photos of.  I paused for lunch at Tim Hortons (Chicken Noodle Soup) before returning to the ship.

The afternoon tour was to the former French City/Fortress of Louisburg.  It was captured by the British in 1855 and languished until the 1960's.  It was good that it did as when the restoration took place they had fertile ground for archeological digs facilitating a quality restoration.  I'll start with the gate:

lbg_gate.jpg

The land sides were surrounded by a wall and a ditch (not a moat, a moat is filled with water.  The British capture was via the land side:

notamoat.jpg

Since we did not return to the ship until 6, it was a good time to try Canaletto.  There was a Celtic group playing in the Lido:

celticlido.jpg

Roy

• Like 29

Good morning!   Chocolate covered raisins remind me of movies - that's the treat I always chose, but it seems like a long time since we've been to a movie.   We've been to Sydney, NS twice, once on a road trip and once on the Rotterdam in 2017 - I have pretty much the same photos!  I am also thinking of Sydney NSW, Australia - with terrible flooding happening.    Today we are having a visit from our "granddog" Oskar, so I will be busy with him.  It rained all night, but looks as if there might be a little clearing today.  We will have many walks...

My cousin and her husband got their first shots yesterday - he complained there were not many "customers",  but I think we are at the end of the supply chain here on the island, and there are many more outbreaks on the mainland where they are trying to vaccinate large groups of people who work together.

There was an article in the paper this morning, fearing a loss to our tourist industry if the US passes a bill to bypass the PVSA temporarily.  But it would be good for Alaska!

• Like 21

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.jpeg.1aa78fe341441fcf6e4c272fe5d27f63.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f208ab5825476e907e02b0f9ef9b0e42.jpeg

🌺🌺

Good morning everyone!!! Love the quote and so true! Pass on chocolate raisins but I enjoy wine and cocktails! Achievers Congratulations. Been to New Zealand never to Australia BUT we are thinking of doing a cruise over there and go to Sydney in 2023! Look forward to reading everyone’s experiences. I love lemon chicken and have a great recipe for my whole chicken. I would try the recipe Debbie has shown! Looks like a winner!

Oh Summer I will pass on the cocktail today! I have learned a lot with all of your descriptions over the year!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

🌺Ann so happy you are better! I was worried. Glad that first cup of coffee is enjoyable! 
🌺Joy! What fun today!! We have dear friends where we would all go have pedicures our spouses and go out for the day! Been a long time not happening here anytime soon! Enjoy Elvis!

🌺🌺Rich and Roy, always appreciate your service and contributions to our Daily! Think of you Roy daily !

🌺🌺🌺🌺OK HERE IS US AT LA JOLLA COVE AT THE SEA CAVES. SO ENJOY BEING OUT THERE. HAD A LITTLE SEA LION ALWAYS FOLLOWING  ME ! He was very curious!! That is David entering the sea cave!

Have a beautiful Day!

Denise😊

image.jpeg

• Like 21

Good morning! A great selection of days, Rich, and thank you Roy for the lists of concerns and shoutouts!

I'm pleased to report that DH came home from orthopedic rehab yesterday, after three weeks. In-home PT & OT will begin soon. The visiting nurse stops by tomorrow, so everything is progressing! We see the surgeon on Friday to get an update on how the leg is healing. It's all good.

The chemo continues and he's due for a CT scan soon to see whether the cancer has traveled anywhere else. We're hopeful that the last radiation treatments may have eradicated it. We'll see!

Thanks for all your kinds thoughts and prayers!

• Like 22

15 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

image.jpeg.1aa78fe341441fcf6e4c272fe5d27f63.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f208ab5825476e907e02b0f9ef9b0e42.jpeg

🌺🌺

Good morning everyone!!! Love the quote and so true! Pass on chocolate raisins but I enjoy wine and cocktails! Achievers Congratulations. Been to New Zealand never to Australia BUT we are thinking of doing a cruise over there and go to Sydney in 2023! Look forward to reading everyone’s experiences. I love lemon chicken and have a great recipe for my whole chicken. I would try the recipe Debbie has shown! Looks like a winner!

Oh Summer I will pass on the cocktail today! I have learned a lot with all of your descriptions over the year!

🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

🌺Ann so happy you are better! I was worried. Glad that first cup of coffee is enjoyable! 
🌺Joy! What fun today!! We have dear friends where we would all go have pedicures our spouses and go out for the day! Been a long time not happening here anytime soon! Enjoy Elvis!

🌺🌺Rich and Roy, always appreciate your service and contributions to our Daily! Think of you Roy daily !

🌺🌺🌺🌺OK HERE IS US AT LA JOLLA COVE AT THE SEA CAVES. SO ENJOY BEING OUT THERE. HAD A LITTLE SEA LION ALWAYS FOLLOWING  ME ! He was very curious!! That is David entering the sea cave!

Have a beautiful Day!

Denise😊

image.jpeg

Hey Denise, today’s pictures and port talk will be from Sydney Nova Scotia on the Canadian east coast not Sydney Australia. I didn’t want you to be disappointed when no Australian pictures showed up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I'm pleased to report that DH came home from orthopedic rehab yesterday, after three weeks. In-home PT & OT will begin soon. The visiting nurse stops by tomorrow, so everything is progressing! We see the surgeon on Friday to get an update on how the leg is healing. It's all good.

The chemo continues and he's due for a CT scan soon to see whether the cancer has traveled anywhere else. We're hopeful that the last radiation treatments may have eradicated it. We'll see!

Thanks for all your kinds thoughts and prayers!

Great news!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, superoma said:

Hey Denise, today’s pictures and port talk will be from Sydney Nova Scotia on the Canadian east coast not Sydney Australia. I didn’t want you to be disappointed when no Australian pictures showed up.

image.png.039f352c3155254edf3d18e747c9f69e.png

Typical of me!!! Blame it on no coffee yet! 
LOL

Denise😊

• Like 10
  • Haha 3