Deposit Deadline and Grace Period

TAs are being advised that Crystal will be sending out a letter to booked guests tomorrow. The gist of it is that deposits are due on April 5 but there is a 10 day grace period to make payment before the booking is cancelled. As some had anticipated, Crystal has opened non-operating reserve accounts to hold all refundable deposit payments to allow for fast refunds if needed.

56 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

TAs are being advised that Crystal will be sending out a letter to booked guests tomorrow. The gist of it is that deposits are due on April 5 but there is a 10 day grace period to make payment before the booking is cancelled. As some had anticipated, Crystal has opened non-operating reserve accounts to hold all refundable deposit payments to allow for fast refunds if needed.

Here is the exact wording from the letter being sent out to all clients with deposits due April 5.

For your confidence during these transitionary times in travel, Crystal has established secure, non-operating reserve accounts with our financial partners to hold all refundable* payments, allowing us to process refunds in a timely manner. Refundable payments will be deposited in these new reserve accounts, and, along with additional channels of available funds and credit, will ensure 100 percent coverage of all refundable payments received should a guest need to cancel.

*Applicable cancellation policies or contract terms will apply.

The fact that they will soon be able to take charges again means that they are soon to be squared away with their merchant accounts -- a very positive step.

I think being transparent about deposits is a positive thing, and I'm sure the margins of this policy are possibly tighter than they were before, but there is still a gap that could lead to issues.

The concept of non-operating reserve accounts is pretty much how the travel industry operates -- that's NOT new.  Cancellation penalties are pretty much set up around how much of a customer's fee/fare is used by the supplier/line in advance.  The cruise lines "take" that money and spend it as it becomes nonrefundable.  The balance of the deposits remain on the books and accessible.

The trouble comes in when the cruise line has to cancel the cruise and not the customer.  All of a sudden all of that previously non-refundable (and largely spent) money is due back to customers, and it may take months/years to get back from suppliers IF it's even refundable back to the cruise line at all.  Multiply this by an entire cruise and you have a minor financial issue.  Multiply this by an entire fleet that week and you have a growing issue.  Multiply this by the while fleet for months during the nonrefundable period and you have a disaster.

I think it's great they are being forthcoming about how refundable deposits are covered, but I still worry about a mass-cancellation (shutdown) incident because this policy does little new (that I can see) to address a repeat of that.  

Vince

I am starting to get the impression that the Bahama cruises are more or less a high-risk maneuver for Crystal/Genting, and this might be their "Hail Mary" or "make-it-or-break-it" moment for them.  I certainly hope that Crystal will somehow succeed one or or another and survive this crisis.

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I am starting to get the impression that the Bahama cruises are more or less a high-risk maneuver for Crystal/Genting, and this might be their "Hail Mary" or "make-it-or-break-it" moment for them.  I certainly hope that Crystal will somehow succeed one or or another and survive this crisis.

Certainly, that’s a hopeful way of looking at it.  Me, I find the whole thing to be a bit reckless and irresponsible.  Not just the cruise lines either.

53 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Just out of curiosity, what makes it high-risk?  In my mind it's their lowest risk option, and kind of a layup really.  

All segments of the travel industry are trying to morph themselves into something that delivers what customers are comfortable buying right now, within regulatory and safety limitations.  That's what Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc. are all doing here with their recent announcements.  No company can survive without revenue -- every cruise line has expenses and goes further into debt every day that they are idle.  They all need to execute a business plan ASAP that will start bringing in revenue safely, and we're starting to see in other parts of the world what guidelines are working -- in all corners of the hospitality industry.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Just out of curiosity, what makes it high-risk?  In my mind it's their lowest risk option, and kind of a layup really.  

All segments of the travel industry are trying to morph themselves into something that delivers what customers are comfortable buying right now, within regulatory and safety limitations.  That's what Crystal, Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, etc. are all doing here with their recent announcements.  No company can survive without revenue -- every cruise line has expenses and goes further into debt every day that they are idle.  They all need to execute a business plan ASAP that will start bringing in revenue safely, and we're starting to see in other parts of the world what guidelines are working -- in all corners of the hospitality industry.

Vince

I think these Bahamas cruise have a higher than typical chance of being cancelled either because of the coronavirus related issues or the weather.  There's no question that the chance of Crystal losing money on this maneuver is much higher compared to their typical itineraries pre-outbreak.  I'm not saying that they are taking an unreasonable risk.  Every cruise line should have their definition of what is an acceptable level of risk, and Crystal decided to do this.  I'm just saying that the fact that Crystal was first in line to announce this is, in my opinion, very indicative of Crystal's need to do something right now.

Just now, Psoque said:

I think these Bahamas cruise have a higher than typical chance of being cancelled either because of the coronavirus related issues or the weather.  There's no question that the chance of Crystal losing money on this maneuver is much higher compared to their typical itineraries pre-outbreak.  I'm not saying that they are taking an unreasonable risk.  Every cruise line should have their definition of what is an acceptable level of risk, and Crystal decided to do this.  I'm just saying that the fact that Crystal was first in line to announce this is, in my opinion, very indicative of Crystal's need to do something right now.

This is just IMHO, as always...

First, Crystal and 5 competitors all announced months of work within business hours of each other.  I don't think them being a few hours early makes them any more or less desperate than their competitors -- the pipeline on these is long and in many cases connected.  The Bahamas itineraries (all lines) are all a result of an initiative by the Bahamian government, and I seriously doubt we've seen the last of those type of itineraries announced.

Anything can be cancelled because of weather or other pandemic conditions -- hotels close/open and airlines change schedules monthly these days.  I don't think that makes anything risky, it just speaks to the flexibility that's need to travel anywhere/anytime these days.

I should clarify my earlier point about cancellations -- that comment is VERY macro, and speaks to the entire payment cycle of cruise lines.  

As it pertains to these Bahamas sailings specifically, I don't consider payments on these sailings as risky if cancelled.  Everyone would need to verify their cardmember terms to assess their own risk, but I don't have a card in my wallet that the payment wouldn't be covered -- in this timeframe -- if Crystal failed to deliver services.  Future seasons, however, would be a different story.

Just my two cents...

Vince

Psoque, I agree with Vince and see this very differently than you.

Sure COVID-19 could impact any plans as can weather.

I actually see the 7 day cruises which start and end in Nassau or Bimini and repeat the same ports as the safest cruises Crystal could do at this point in time.  These cruises allow Crystal to work with only one authority making things much simpler and meaning far less red tape and issues to face.  The methods they are taking are the best I can think of to sail safely.  My take on weather is often where you think it will be an issue it isn't and where you think it might not be it is.

I'm thinking of that cruise which was supposed to start in New York when a horrible storm hit in an unusual time of the year. Or the Holiday cruise ending in Charleston when guess what they got several inches of snow in a city which doesn't get snow.  Or on the 2007 World Cruise when we arrived in Muscat, Oman and I believe they get rain a few times a year and they not only got rain but it was so much we couldn't get off the ship as the roads were a disaster.

At some point cruises need to restart.  Cruise lines cannot have the ships sit idle forever.  

Now there will be challenges no question about that.  What precisely will COVID look like by July 3 is anyone's guess.  But the plan Crystal came up with is certainly reasonable, less risky than most other itineraries and has been and continues to be planned, including all the logistics, with very special care.

On a related note, it's not cheap in terms of Crystal's costs.  Everyone should remember there are extra costs cruising in this environment such as all of the testing.

Keith

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Psoque, I agree with Vince and see this very differently than you.

Sure COVID-19 could impact any plans as can weather.

I actually see the 7 day cruises which start and end in Nassau or Bimini and repeat the same ports as the safest cruises Crystal could do at this point in time.  These cruises allow Crystal to work with only one authority making things much simpler and meaning far less red tape and issues to face.  The methods they are taking are the best I can think of to sail safely.  My take on weather is often where you think it will be an issue it isn't and where you think it might not be it is.

I'm thinking of that cruise which was supposed to start in New York when a horrible storm hit in an unusual time of the year. Or the Holiday cruise ending in Charleston when guess what they got several inches of snow in a city which doesn't get snow.  Or on the 2007 World Cruise when we arrived in Muscat, Oman and I believe they get rain a few times a year and they not only got rain but it was so much we couldn't get off the ship as the roads were a disaster.

At some point cruises need to restart.  Cruise lines cannot have the ships sit idle forever.  

Now there will be challenges no question about that.  What precisely will COVID look like by July 3 is anyone's guess.  But the plan Crystal came up with is certainly reasonable, less risky than most other itineraries and has been and continues to be planned, including all the logistics, with very special care.

On a related note, it's not cheap in terms of Crystal's costs.  Everyone should remember there are extra costs cruising in this environment such as all of the testing.

Keith

I see that you and Vince did not like what I said, but the fact is that you are not really disagreeing with what I said.  I’m afraid you are reading too much into what I said.  I never said Crystal should/should not offer these cruises.  I did not even say Crystal is being reckless.  

Whether you like it or not, there will be inherent (financial) risks of doing these Bahamas cruise at this particular time period because of the outbreak (which has not ended yet, by the way) and the unpredictable weather in the summer/fall in that part of the world, and the only reason Crystal is doing this is because they HAVE TO do this to continue their financial viability, and this presented to them as one of the few “reasonable” option.  And nobody, including Crystal cannot be sure about what the outcome would be financially, and Crystal is willing to gamble on this, because their level of risk tolerance is probably higher than, say, 2019.

And the “reasonableness” of this Bahamas cruise can only be assessed after the season is over.  I certainly hope everything will work out, but at the same time, it is completely ludicrous to make any assumption about how these itinerary will work out for Crystal and their customers until they actually occur.  This summer cruise season, for any cruise line, will be an experiment for all of us, regardless of how we “feel” about the cruise travel, the outbreak, or anything else personal.

Edited by Psoque
Fixed
2 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask in cruise critic, but does anyone know what the payment datelines are for the WC 2022?. 
Ivi

Ivi, it's been a moving target. Based on the last correspondence received from Crystal and our TA, it appears final payments are requested 6 months prior to sail date. Subject to further change, perhaps.

Rob

2 hours ago, Psoque said:

I see that you and Vince did not like what I said, but the fact is that you are not really disagreeing with what I said.  I’m afraid you are reading too much into what I said.  I never said Crystal should/should not offer these cruises.  I did not even say Crystal is being reckless.  

Whether you like it or not, there will be inherent (financial) risks of doing these Bahamas cruise at this particular time period because of the outbreak (which has not ended yet, by the way) and the unpredictable weather in the summer/fall in that part of the world, and the only reason Crystal is doing this is because they HAVE TO do this to continue their financial viability, and this presented to them as one of the few “reasonable” option.  And nobody, including Crystal cannot be sure about what the outcome would be financially, and Crystal is willing to gamble on this, because their level of risk tolerance is probably higher than, say, 2019.

And the “reasonableness” of this Bahamas cruise can only be assessed after the season is over.  I certainly hope everything will work out, but at the same time, it is completely ludicrous to make any assumption about how these itinerary will work out for Crystal and their customers until they actually occur.  This summer cruise season, for any cruise line, will be an experiment for all of us, regardless of how we “feel” about the cruise travel, the outbreak, or anything else personal.

I'm agreeing there is always a risk in presenting travel offerings, but I'm lost on what kind of guarantee you expect? 

Prior to COVID, cruises sailed year-round throughout the Caribbean and to the Bahamas.  Of course there were occasional diversions and cancellations because of hurricanes, but didn't stop cruise lines from offering them.  September and October are two of the busiest months in New Orleans for conventions and events, but every few years one is disrupted by a hurricane (when the storm falls on peak nights).

The same goes for COVID...  Things are gearing up FAST in the travel industry this week -- I've seen more movement in terms of jobs (🤞) and restarts in the last week than I have since the new year started.  It's not just Crystal, it's cruise lines around the globe.  It's hotels reopening properties and hiring back event staff, it's airlines bringing planes back into service.

Focusing on Crystal's measly little offering when the entire industry around them on an exponentially larger scale is the part that's confusing me.

Vince

23 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

The Statement is up on the Crystal website. https://www.crystalcruises.com/advisory-alerts/statement-on-reserve-accounts

Text of letter--

We hope this letter finds you well. Like you, all of us at Crystal are filled with optimistic anticipation for our return to cruising and we look forward to traveling with you.

As you are aware, your reservation was made with Crystal’s No Money Down offer which comes to an end on April 5, 2021 as previously communicated. This letter is to advise you that you have a 10-day grace period – between April 5 and 15 – to make your cruise deposit. If payment is not received before midnight April 15, 2021 (PT), your reservation will be canceled.

Your travel advisor has also received a copy of this letter. We will also send a reminder email to both you and your travel advisor on April 5, 2021, with a secure payment link so that either you or your advisor can make your deposit payments.

For your confidence during these transitionary times in travel, Crystal has established secure, non-operating reserve accounts with our financial partners to hold all refundable* payments, allowing us to process refunds in a timely manner. Refundable payments will be deposited in these new reserve accounts, and, along with additional channels of available funds and credit, will ensure 100 percent coverage of all refundable payments received should a guest need to cancel.

While our fleet is paused, the Crystal team has developed new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and also ensure our guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. Building on our stringent protocols already in place, Crystal Clean+® 4.1 – including a vaccine requirement – represents an enhanced level of measures to help safeguard the well-being of our guests and crew. Each protocol will be continually evaluated as new information becomes available.

On behalf of the entire Crystal Family, we are eagerly waiting for the day when we welcome you aboard for a memorable Crystal Experience wrapped in spacious luxury and all-inclusive value.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

I'm agreeing there is always a risk in presenting travel offerings, but I'm lost on what kind of guarantee you expect? 

Prior to COVID, cruises sailed year-round throughout the Caribbean and to the Bahamas.  Of course there were occasional diversions and cancellations because of hurricanes, but didn't stop cruise lines from offering them.  September and October are two of the busiest months in New Orleans for conventions and events, but every few years one is disrupted by a hurricane (when the storm falls on peak nights).

The same goes for COVID...  Things are gearing up FAST in the travel industry this week -- I've seen more movement in terms of jobs (🤞) and restarts in the last week than I have since the new year started.  It's not just Crystal, it's cruise lines around the globe.  It's hotels reopening properties and hiring back event staff, it's airlines bringing planes back into service.

Focusing on Crystal's measly little offering when the entire industry around them on an exponentially larger scale is the part that's confusing me.

Vince

It’s very interesting that when you want to “prove” a point, facts becomes optional.

You know as well as I do that most cruise lines do not have as many Bahamas and Caribbean cruises in July, August and September.  And even those that do have cruises in the regions during that time (Carnival, for example), its typically just one or two of their ships.  Choice of Bahamas by Crystal and choice of other Caribbean regions by other cruise lines were because those was the best they could do (to actually operate a cruise legally under the circumstances, as well as to find countries highly dependent on tourism to go along with it) not because it was a reliable region for that part of the year.  I consider this somewhat consistent with what people are calling extractive tourism.

”The same goes for COVID.”    What do you mean by that statement???  I have no idea how the potential disruption to the 2021 summer cruise season can be said as “same” as anything before 2020.  This is completely uncharted.  The uncertainties the cruise lines will experience for this year is not “business as usual.”  The uptick in deployment of tourism re-start is only good if tourism actually occurs.

I am not expecting/demanding Crystal or any other travel provider to provide their summer 2020 customers with any guarantees.  However, I think many in the travel/hospitality industry are either too desperate and/or in denial to even admit that starting anything this summer is a big gamble, both for the businesses and the customers.  And your response is highly indicative of this culture.

And I also stand by with my assertion that the Bahama cruises are a much bigger gamble for Crystal with just two ocean ships and with the parent with a huge debt compared to other bigger cruise lines who are going to try with one of many ships.

Crystal cheerleaders can object to my posts all they want, but I think it is silly to ignore the reality (Crystal HAS to do this, and these Bahamas cruises appear to be their only viable option at this time, and without some sort of income soon, they will not survive, either with Genting HK or without.  And there is a change none of this will happen because of the outbreak and the unpredictable summer/fall weather in the region.) Also, being hopeful about the future or having a dire financial/psychological/social need for these cruises to occur do not make the outbreak go away any sooner, or the region to have less severe weather events.

I agree with you that every cruise, not just cruises in Bahamas/Caribbean in the summer/fall, or first cruises in the tail end (hopefully!) of an outbreak, have its financial risk to the cruise lines.  But I think that these Bahamas/Caribbean cruises in the summer 2020 will have more than the usual level of financial risk to the businesses, as well as higher than typical chance of them being cancelled compared to typical summer/fall cruises by the same cruise line pre-outbreak.

We have a river cruise booked with the non-refundable fare. It was booked a very long time ago, and the payment date has been put off and put off. We were offered the opportunity to rebook in 2022, which we did. I have not been following any of the financial issues but was told this morning that payment is due on April 5th.We tried to pay this morning and Crystal refused to allow us to. We were told that we could not pay before April 5th. Could someone help me to understand what is going on and if we should be concerned about the stability of the company? 

35 minutes ago, Psoque said:

It’s very interesting that when you want to “prove” a point, facts becomes optional.

You know as well as I do that most cruise lines do not have as many Bahamas and Caribbean cruises in July, August and September.  And even those that do have cruises in the regions during that time (Carnival, for example), its typically just one or two of their ships.  Choice of Bahamas by Crystal and choice of other Caribbean regions by other cruise lines were because those was the best they could do (to actually operate a cruise legally under the circumstances, as well as to find countries highly dependent on tourism to go along with it) not because it was a reliable region for that part of the year.  I consider this somewhat consistent with what people are calling extractive tourism.

”The same goes for COVID.”    What do you mean by that statement???  I have no idea how the potential disruption to the 2021 summer cruise season can be said as “same” as anything before 2020.  This is completely uncharted.  The uncertainties the cruise lines will experience for this year is not “business as usual.”  The uptick in deployment of tourism re-start is only good if tourism actually occurs.

I am not expecting/demanding Crystal or any other travel provider to provide their summer 2020 customers with any guarantees.  However, I think many in the travel/hospitality industry are either too desperate and/or in denial to even admit that starting anything this summer is a big gamble, both for the businesses and the customers.  And your response is highly indicative of this culture.

And I also stand by with my assertion that the Bahama cruises are a much bigger gamble for Crystal with just two ocean ships and with the parent with a huge debt compared to other bigger cruise lines who are going to try with one of many ships.

Crystal cheerleaders can object to my posts all they want, but I think it is silly to ignore the reality (Crystal HAS to do this, and these Bahamas cruises appear to be their only viable option at this time, and without some sort of income soon, they will not survive, either with Genting HK or without.  And there is a change none of this will happen because of the outbreak and the unpredictable summer/fall weather in the region.) Also, being hopeful about the future or having a dire financial/psychological/social need for these cruises to occur do not make the outbreak go away any sooner, or the region to have less severe weather events.

I agree with you that every cruise, not just cruises in Bahamas/Caribbean in the summer/fall, or first cruises in the tail end (hopefully!) of an outbreak, have its financial risk to the cruise lines.  But I think that these Bahamas/Caribbean cruises in the summer 2020 will have more than the usual level of financial risk to the businesses, as well as higher than typical chance of them being cancelled compared to typical summer/fall cruises by the same cruise line pre-outbreak.

I find your business prognostications less persuasive than your medical ones.

There are two types of people who post on CC. One type is positive and polite, upbeat and glass-half-full. The other type is negative and nasty, gloomy and rankling. I’m so glad the majority are the first type.

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Text of letter--

We hope this letter finds you well. Like you, all of us at Crystal are filled with optimistic anticipation for our return to cruising and we look forward to traveling with you.

As you are aware, your reservation was made with Crystal’s No Money Down offer which comes to an end on April 5, 2021 as previously communicated. This letter is to advise you that you have a 10-day grace period – between April 5 and 15 – to make your cruise deposit. If payment is not received before midnight April 15, 2021 (PT), your reservation will be canceled.

Your travel advisor has also received a copy of this letter. We will also send a reminder email to both you and your travel advisor on April 5, 2021, with a secure payment link so that either you or your advisor can make your deposit payments.

For your confidence during these transitionary times in travel, Crystal has established secure, non-operating reserve accounts with our financial partners to hold all refundable* payments, allowing us to process refunds in a timely manner. Refundable payments will be deposited in these new reserve accounts, and, along with additional channels of available funds and credit, will ensure 100 percent coverage of all refundable payments received should a guest need to cancel.

While our fleet is paused, the Crystal team has developed new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and also ensure our guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. Building on our stringent protocols already in place, Crystal Clean+® 4.1 – including a vaccine requirement – represents an enhanced level of measures to help safeguard the well-being of our guests and crew. Each protocol will be continually evaluated as new information becomes available.

On behalf of the entire Crystal Family, we are eagerly waiting for the day when we welcome you aboard for a memorable Crystal Experience wrapped in spacious luxury and all-inclusive value.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services

For the upcoming Bahamas cruises, the deposits on the cruises departing through early August will not be refundable at the time they are made, since it will already be within 120 days of departure.  Every week thereafter, more of the payments will become nonrefundable.  So there may not be enough funds in the non-operating reserve accounts to refund payments if the cruises are cancelled for COVID, weather, or other reasons.  

13 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

For the upcoming Bahamas cruises, the deposits on the cruises departing through early August will not be refundable at the time they are made, since it will already be within 120 days of departure.  Every week thereafter, more of the payments will become nonrefundable.  So there may not be enough funds in the non-operating reserve accounts to refund payments if the cruises are cancelled for COVID, weather, or other reasons.  

That's basically what happened a year ago.  Cruise lines start disbursing that non-refundable money (which they may or may not get back anytime soon) on that schedule, and have plenty of reserves to reimburse random cancellations -- but not months worth of formerly non-refundable bookings they've already started disbursing.  I honestly believe that the industry now understands this risk a lot better than they did before and are actively trying to plan for it, but I haven't heard anything (from ANY supplier/line) that addresses the immediate and catastrophic return of ALL non-refundable (spent) money at once.

Vince

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, May B said:

There are two types of people who post on CC. One type is positive and polite, upbeat and glass-half-full. The other type is negative and nasty, gloomy and rankling. I’m so glad the majority are the first type.

Plus 1 -- and in that first group are the folks I prefer to have on board when I am cruising.

Edited by bitob
2 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

Crystal Confidence 3.0 is valid through December 2021.

Crystal has relaxed Cancellation terms of 60 days prior to First Day of Service.

If you purchase an Air or Hotel reservation from Crystal, this is your First Day of Service.

8 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I would add to Merry Twinkletoes earlier comments:

If you cancel between 60 and 31 days days prior to the start of the cruise you get 75% back,  and if you cancel between 29 days and eight days before the start of the cruise or the start of air, etc. you get 50% of your payment back.

This information will be shown on your Crystal Booking Reservations so they have tried to make this more flexible than I can ever remember in terms of getting some amount of money back.

Keith

16 hours ago, Psoque said:

The financial risk to cruise lines is far greater to stay the course and do nothing.  With each passing day costs mount of as there are costs even when there is no revenue so the financial risk as I see it is far greater not to do anything.

Is there some risk to starting up?  Of course there is and Jack Anderson covered this.  This is not a walk in the park but you have to start sometime unless they want to wait years from now which is not possible.  

They have come up with a plan which minimizes the risk including requiring all guest to be vaccinated, and to be checked at the pier for COIVD-19 and to rely in the Bahamas who require the a COVID test prior to entry.  They will do checks on the ship.  The crew will be wearing items such as Masks and PPE where needed and will have other requirements as well.  By repeating the same itinerary and working with just one administration this helps reduce risk associated with having to get clearance and other logistics.  Another wise decision was to pick locations which in the event there was some type of emergency and they needed to get to the USA which they could under an emergency they could.  Then are also close to land should they need to get someone of the ship which by the way is why I wasn't for a cruise to nowhere or this idea you could have all sea days.  

So yes they are being cautious and have taken what I call a balanced approach which is to balance a little risk with generating revenue and getting back into service. 

I think you are off base on the weather.  Might there be a storm?  Possible.  Might there be a storm when you cross from California over to Australia or some other area due West in January?  Yes. Should the cruise lines not sail this route?  No.  There is risk every time they take out the ship as there is risk each time you get on a flight and it takes off.

I do agree with Vince's point including his followup post.

I also agree with Muriel and I also agree with others such as Bibob on how to approach all of this.  

We take risk each time we leave the house.  In fact, even some risk inside the house.

Crystal is not being reckless.  Those booking the cruise are not being reckless (unless they choose to ignore the science including how they prepare for the cruise and travel to the Bahamas).  I always side with caution and also side with the glass as being half full.  I do believe the two can go hand and hand.

Cheers,

Keith