Deposit Deadline and Grace Period

5 hours ago, mariners said:

Have any Canadians who are planning on going on one of the cruises found insurance that will provide coverage?  I have not found any insurance that will cover Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, or Emergency Medical.  I have been told by my credit card providers, and the insurance agents whom I contacted that it is not possible to be insured on a cruise at this time because of the Canadian government's travel advisory.   As well, it is also not possible to purchase insurance for land travel to a variety of countries due to the Canadian government's travel advisory for those countries (although, there are policies that are available for travel to the USA).  However, as others have stated, travelling to the USA still has the quarantine requirements in place and one would have to be prepared to follow whatever rules the government has in place at the time of the trip.  

Does Crystal offer insurance that would provide enough Emergency Medical coverage for Canadians?

For starters....I am not a TA nor do I have any insurance company connection.  I know of two companies that offer emergency medical coverage in the current climate.  So many companies say they provide coverage but as you know the devil is in the details. 

My husband and I have multi-trip emergency medical coverage  that applies to situations where there is a level 3 advisory related to Covid19 CDN Government travel warning.  This is the current warning level.  It does not apply to level 4 but they will pay expenses to get one home if it changes.   They changed their policy in January 2021 to include this coverage.  However for Covid-19 it plainly states that it excludes Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Delay thus  why I asked my TA about TICO here in Ontario.

In addition, we usually obtain “Cancel for Any Reason” through another company but it clearly states that it is not applicable when there is any type of Government Advisory.  I don’t believe I can mention specific companies on these boards but there is another company that states in its policy exclusions ...”Any Medical Emergency that occurs in any city, region or country where Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (Global Affairs Canada) has issued a travel advisory to “avoid all non-essential travel” prior to Your Effective Date of Insurance or Your Trip Start Date. This exclusion does not apply to travel advisories from Global Affairs Canada in response to Covid-19.”  

You may want to take a look at the Canadian Snowbird Association website. 

The non-refundable fares are due tomorrow with a 10 day grace period- my stomach is still churning a bit but I think we are going to go ahead and have our payment submitted. I mean- what can go wrong? We are out the money if things go belly up. Things seem to be looking up and I do feel less concerned than I did a short time ago. I am covered for everything except financial woes. An additional $700 to cover just this item. Anyone want to help move me in one direction or the other? 

15 hours ago, 5waldos said:

The non-refundable fares are due tomorrow with a 10 day grace period- my stomach is still churning a bit but I think we are going to go ahead and have our payment submitted. I mean- what can go wrong? We are out the money if things go belly up. Things seem to be looking up and I do feel less concerned than I did a short time ago. I am covered for everything except financial woes. An additional $700 to cover just this item. Anyone want to help move me in one direction or the other? 

Risk - reward

Risk

It is a short period from now to the cruise.  Your CC will likely protect from any defaults. 

You will be vaccinated

You will have COVID insurance in case you fall ill or test positive and have to Quarantine in the Bahamas (mandatory)

Biggest headache is to get tested and do the Bahamas Health Visa

Use FF miles if you are worried about cancellation or get a refundable fare

Now the reward --

Listening to Louie as your ship leaves Nassau

Enjoying the best Sushi and Sashimi at Sea

Relaxing in this post COVID world in a way you have not been able to do for over a year

and then

Doing something your neighbors cannot or will not do

Roasting in the sun in the Bahamas heat 🙂

Cancun01, thanks for your response!  The information that I was provided by insurance companies, including the one from the Snowbird site, was that cruises are Level 4 so the policies do not provide medical insurance at this time.  As much as we'd love to be on a cruise ship, we will wait until that level changes before we book a new cruise.  

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Risk - reward

Risk

It is a short period from now to the cruise.  Your CC will likely protect from any defaults. 

You will be vaccinated

You will have COVID insurance in case you fall ill or test positive and have to Quarantine in the Bahamas (mandatory)

Biggest headache is to get tested and do the Bahamas Health Visa

Use FF miles if you are worried about cancellation or get a refundable fare

Now the reward --

Listening to Louie as your ship leaves Nassau

Enjoying the best Sushi and Sashimi at Sea

Relaxing in this post COVID world in a way you have not been able to do for over a year

and then

Doing something your neighbors cannot or will not do

Roasting in the sun in the Bahamas heat 🙂

Getting my roast pan out to put in my luggage!!! And as I roast, I trust charming stewards will be basting me with margartias....

Except that mine is for Europe, next spring- April 2022. Have been vaccinated and will do boosters if needed. I only wish that it was for the Bahamas this summer. Have booked a transatlantic crossing so no worries about flights. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:47 AM, mariners said:

Cancun01, thanks for your response!  The information that I was provided by insurance companies, including the one from the Snowbird site, was that cruises are Level 4 so the policies do not provide medical insurance at this time.  As much as we'd love to be on a cruise ship, we will wait until that level changes before we book a new cruise.  

As an FYI, I called the CSA after I saw your post.  The agent assured me that coverage was for anywhere  out of the country including cruises despite the Government Advisories.  I requested the information in writing and received a very nice email this afternoon.  The email reiterated that their Emergency  Medical Coverage was for anywhere out of the country....but get this....we are not able to comment, at this time, on what limitations might exist in any updated policy...Please inquire with us again once our updated plan is released in July of this year. LOL

In brief our multi-trip provider has also confirmed in writing that we have Emergency Medical  coverage for Covid-19 the same as any other illness injury as long as it was not pre-existing etc etc.  It is applicable regardless of mode of travel. Trip Cancellation/interruption is not covered for Covid related but other insured risks remain the same.  If you want the name let me know. Not perfect it works for us at this time. 

Certainly, I could not find any credit card travel coverage.

6 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

As an FYI, I called the CSA after I saw your post.  The agent assured me that coverage was for anywhere  out of the country including cruises despite the Government Advisories.  I requested the information in writing and received a very nice email this afternoon.  The email reiterated that their Emergency  Medical Coverage was for anywhere out of the country....but get this....we are not able to comment, at this time, on what limitations might exist in any updated policy...Please inquire with us again once our updated plan is released in July of this year. LOL

In brief our multi-trip provider has also confirmed in writing that we have Emergency Medical  coverage for Covid-19 the same as any other illness injury as long as it was not pre-existing etc etc.  It is applicable regardless of mode of travel. Trip Cancellation/interruption is not covered for Covid related but other insured risks remain the same.  If you want the name let me know. Not perfect it works for us at this time. 

Certainly, I could not find any credit card travel coverage.

Are they saying that policies written or renewed after July may have different terms (perfectly reasonable), or that somehow they are going to try to change the terms of policies already in-force in July?

That’s great news overall though!

Vince

On 4/7/2021 at 4:14 AM, BWIVince said:

Are they saying that policies written or renewed after July may have different terms (perfectly reasonable), or that somehow they are going to try to change the terms of policies already in-force in July?

That’s great news overall though!

Vince

Not sure! However I took it as the ordinary meaning that they are renewing their policies which may change in July.  We are sticking with the status quo which although has some limitations to financial exposure( if cancellation/interruption is because of Covid) it is much better than we thought we could obtain at this time.  

Deposit deadline extended until April 23. Wonder if they are trying to get all the refunds done before they take any money. I have friends in that situation now with their large refund still outstanding and a deposit due. They do NOT want to give Crystal any more money until they receive the refund. 

3 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Deposit deadline extended until April 23. Wonder if they are trying to get all the refunds done before they take any money. I have friends in that situation now with their large refund still outstanding and a deposit due. They do NOT want to give Crystal any more money until they receive the refund. 

My situation exactly. April 28 will be one year for the majority of my outstanding refund still due. 

Patty

3 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

May I ask where you learned that!? I was just about to make my deposit for our Oct. 16th Nassau sailing but I will hold off if it isn't due until the 23rd. 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

May I ask where you learned that!? I was just about to make my deposit for our Oct. 16th Nassau sailing but I will hold off if it isn't due until the 23rd. 

I just received the email re from Crystal in the last hour. 

Edited by TER777
1 hour ago, Fredric22 said:

TAs received an email from Crystal at 1:30 pm PT.

22 hours ago, TER777 said:

I just received the email re from Crystal in the last hour. 

21 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

TAs received an email from Crystal at 1:30 pm PT.

Thanks! I got the e-mail a few minutes after I asked the question (of course).  I will definitely wait until the last day to make the payment. Always makes sense to hold on to your money as long as possible, in my opinion.  🙂

On 4/12/2021 at 8:49 PM, Fredric22 said:

Thanks! I got the e-mail a few minutes after I asked the question (of course).  I will definitely wait until the last day to make the payment. Always makes sense to hold on to your money as long as possible, in my opinion.  🙂

I never received an email , my deposit for the Endeavor June 8,2022 departure was due on 4/12/21 and was paid with AMEX.  Final due 12/10/21 (6 months before the trip).

To circle back on a related note, my friends finally got their money refunded to their credit card. It was about $2,500 short of what they were expecting. Why? Foreign Exchange!! the Canadian dollar is much stronger against the US$ now than it was in late 2018 when they made their final payments.