Return to normalcy?

6 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just use Florida as an example. Been unlocked since Summer 2020. Almost a year. Florida is an example of what works. No mask mandate by State. No penalty or fine for not wearing one. Restaurants and Bars open.  ICU bed availability is normal for this time of year (snowbirds). 

M8

Been there 3 times since this started.   A great getaway from a failed blue state.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

I just don't see that population of folks being large enough to make a negative impact.  Most of us are reasonable people who follow regulations/directives with Covid... Just think about your life - how many people do you know who are anti-mask?  I hang/do business with a lot of different folks and everyone I know wears masks and follows guidance.  Yes, I question some of this stuff because I don't believe it really makes a difference but I still mask up and do my part.  

Again, the media blows up the anti-mask, anti-science, covid denier crowds but I just don't think overall there are that many of those people amongst us.  

I’m not anti mask and I wear one where appropriate or required by business. Their store, their rules. I’ve also been vaccinated. W3 choose to get vaccinated so we could get out and travel and take a vacation. 

About the only thing helpful is since we haven’t traveled this year, we saved a bunch of money and are putting it towards our new home build. We had a $40k River Cruise all in cancelled due to Covid and to date, a couple of cruises now cancelled. 

We typically spend the week before Christmas in NYC. That didn’t happen and not sure when we will do it again. 

M8

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’m not anti mask and I wear one where appropriate or required by business. Their store, their rules. I’ve also been vaccinated. W3 choose to get vaccinated so we could get out and travel and take a vacation. 

About the only thing helpful is since we haven’t traveled this year, we saved a bunch of money and are putting it towards our new home build. We had a $40k River Cruise all in cancelled due to Covid and to date, a couple of cruises now cancelled. 

We typically spend the week before Christmas in NYC. That didn’t happen and not sure when we will do it again. 

M8

That's great because its very expensive to build a house right now!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

For those vaccinated, it doesn’t appear the viral load is enough to infect others for COVID19. 

M8

That might be right but for now the key words in your post are "it doesn't appear"

21 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just use Florida as an example. Been unlocked since Summer 2020. Almost a year. Florida is an example of what works. No mask mandate by State. No penalty or fine for not wearing one. Restaurants and Bars open.  ICU bed availability is normal for this time of year (snowbirds). 

M8

I have come to learn that yes, we in Florida appear to be living differently than other states. Everything is open. Masks may not be mandated, but every establishment that I have been to over this whole pandemic requires a mask to enter. The only time I've seen people without masks was last weekend when I made the mistake of visiting I-drive where the tourists are in Orlando. I never go there and I was shocked at the amount of people congregating without masks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Just use Florida as an example.

As of yesterday, Florida had a positivity rate of 13th worst out of 50 states.  That means 37 states are doing the same or better.  Not very successful if you ask me

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Maybe because It sounds like being in jail being told what to do all the time. Maybe because it will cause too much bother. I can see people being killed over it especially with drink involved. They have been on land. An imagine Americans who think the are better than us Europeans telling us what to do.

You have outdone yourself today hitting a new low.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, BillOh said:

THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE  and if not N95 or KN95 rated, of little or no worth.

CBS Sunday morning had a fantastic story about the worth of each type of mask, and explained why it was so.  Those two are indeed the best, but a double layer cloth mask really does help others

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

CBS Sunday morning had a fantastic story about the worth of each type of mask, and explained why it was so.  Those two are indeed the best, but a double layer cloth mask really does help others

You lost me at CBS Sunday Morning.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You have outdone yourself today. 

Yeah, I have found its best to not even read what this user posts.  Pretty dumb stuff.  

13 minutes ago, yogimax said:

As of yesterday, Florida had a positivity rate of 13th worst out of 50 states.  That means 37 states are doing the same or better.  Not very successful if you ask me

You guys have enough going on up there.  Maybe you should worry about your own state.   

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pcur said:

In small groups.  They say to avoid medium to large groups unless wearing a mask.

And why should it matter how many people are in that vaccinated group? It is either safe or it isn't for vaccinated to be together unmasked.

Then they wonder why many people question or ignore the CDC recommendations.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

You guys have enough going on up there.  Maybe you should worry about your own state.   

Actually, as of yesterday, NY was 14th best, Florida 13th worst.  I have many friends in Florida.  I worry about their well being.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

You lost me at CBS Sunday Morning.

Yeah, I have found its best to not even read what this user posts.  Pretty dumb stuff.  

Isn't that the truth on all three of these especially the last one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

Actually, as of yesterday, NY was 14th best, Florida 13th worst.  I have many friends in Florida.  I worry about their well being.

At least they can pretty much live life the way they want to.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

If they were so effective, why aren't all the non-mask wearers dead by now?

Masks are not worn correctly by many. They don't fit correctly, people digit with them, they take them off to speak, they don't clean them.....thus rendering them completely useless.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/29/these-12-graphs-show-mask-mandates-do-nothing-to-stop-covid/

Happy to say, in the last year, I have traveled multiple times, and I average less than 15 minutes a day with a mask on.  (Airlines helped bring up the average number of minutes).  I'M ALIVE!!!!!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sky616 said:

Exactly, I don't wear one anywhere except if I need to be seated at a restaurant and a airplane.  Otherwise, have never worn one at work or shopping.  They don't work, it's all been forced upon us for no reason.  

Aren't they required for shopping? Never??

30 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

I have come to learn that yes, we in Florida appear to be living differently than other states. Everything is open. Masks may not be mandated, but every establishment that I have been to over this whole pandemic requires a mask to enter. The only time I've seen people without masks was last weekend when I made the mistake of visiting I-drive where the tourists are in Orlando. I never go there and I was shocked at the amount of people congregating without masks. 

Where I live, mask wearing is 50/50.  People shop and go out in restaurants w/o masks on.....since it is personal choice in Florida

• Like 2

19 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I don't understand why so many people are against masks. For the time being we need to live with them to protect us and others and they might even be part of our lives in the future in one way or another. This doesn't stop us from having a enjoyable cruise vacation for instance.

Part of our future?  I certainly hope not.  I have both vaccines and only wear in an establishment when required.  Other than that, it's simply theater.  Absolutely no reason to wear outside when riding a bike, in your car, walking by yourself on a beach, swimming (yes I actually saw that in Cozumel)...

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, jules815 said:

Aren't they required for shopping? Never??

Have had no problems.  Nobody has said a word except at Dick's sporting goods last week.  They offered me one at the front door.  I said nope, no thanks and kept walking. Have been to Old Navy, Home Depot, Lowe's, Homegoods and our 3 local grocery stores recently.  It's not a law.

43 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Thanks you for proving my point. The FACTS are, Florida is the 3rd most populous State based on 2010 census and will gain significant numbers off 2020 census. Look at this list. Look at the list of States in lockdown. Great to be 13th in this case. We have not been in lockdown so why are we 13th?

Edited to add. Actually Florida is ranked 15, not 13. 

https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/public-health/states-ranked-by-covid-19-test-positivity-rates-july-14.html

M8

611AA9B1-76F2-40F3-921E-5D321D6FF2A5.png

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And why should it matter how many people are in that vaccinated group? It is either safe or it isn't for vaccinated to be together unmasked.

Then they wonder why many people question or ignore the CDC recommendations.

But wait. That wouldn’t be following the control. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

We wear our mask for the most part indoors at a business. Two weeks ago Bikeweek, we saw very few masks. We had nearly 500k people in town for both Bikeweek and Spring Break. Still waiting for that surge to happen. 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

M8

The numbers on our county don't seem to be declining

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

What about the business in your State?  What about all the unemployed?  What about those losing their home or apartment? Can’t pay bills? Don’t they matter?

We are safe and sound and I appreciate you being concerned for us. Thank you. 

M8

• Like 4