CDC restrictions in place until November 1st

CNBC has just announced that the restrictions on cruises from and to US ports will remain until November 1st. This news has prompted a drop in cruise line stocks and more importantly for me has impact on my Crystal Serenity cruise scheduled to leave NY on October 26th.

This announcement may help cruise lines decide on asset deployments for the balance of 2021 and possibly further into the future. This may bode well for cruise lines, such as Crystal, that were not as overly dependent on US-based port departures and arrivals as some others and have the ability to be more flexible and adjust their itineraries based on available air lift to/from non-US ports.

Rob

Based on what we're seeing in event management, I doubt anything the CDC is saying today is set in stone.  A lot of it is going to be dependent on what happens this summer -- both with cruise lines and with the country at large.  If things miraculously get better, and cruise line safety protocols prove incredibly effective, things could change.  There is plenty of reason for concern though, and reason for the US-port restart to be targeted for November.

Vince

Agree. The situation is in flux and any announcements should include the statement: "This is our position at this point in time and may change as new facts emerge". 

45 minutes ago, Orator said:

CNBC has just announced that the restrictions on cruises from and to US ports will remain until November 1st. This news has prompted a drop in cruise line stocks and more importantly for me has impact on my Crystal Serenity cruise scheduled to leave NY on October 26th.

Please keep in mind when Jack Anderson was asked if the Cruises after the Bahama ones would sale end he noted it would be very challenging.  He noted the Itineraries involve multiple countries and because of Covid more complex. He alluded that it was very possible they would continue with the. Bahama Cruises for awhile.  My guess is the Bahama. Cruises will continue regardless of what the CDC does. 

I agree with Vince.  Nothing is sealed I’m concrete.  

Keith

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately , unless the CDC revises its position well in advance of the Nov1 date, cruise lines will have a really difficult time figuring out where to position their ships for sailings for the balance of 2021.  Maybe post Nov 1 the cruises can go, but will the ships be in the right place at the right time.

I have a Nov 19 transatlantic on Silversea that ends in the US

Now I doubt it will go.

Edited by bitob

I would just add Europe has lots of issues now so who knows what the future will be like.

My own opinion is if a cruise touches several countries it is risky. What things will be like this Fall and later is anyone’s guess. 

Keith

Italy and Germany are not doing  well for the moment and since last weeks the situation in Belgium became worser  

Portugal allowed people to celebrate Christams with a heavy outbreak afterwards 

as from Friday all non essential shops must close and also hairdressers and beauty parlors  for the third time since early March 2020 - and all department stores except supermarkets - also dry cleaning 

bars and restaurants are closed since 16 th October 2020

in my hometown aside of " take away" some - even better - restaurants are selling their wine stock to have cash 

i am afraid cruises in the Medit will only start the earliest in August 2021

Hapag Lloyd is announcing cruises to Croatia and Greece  - but they do refuse European  people even vaccinated  - only accepting guests from Germany Austria or Switserland - what is entirely against European  rules.   

I would do 21 days at sea

In a heartbeat.

Just tell me where to get on and off the ship

And keep my days and nights filled with fabulous Crystal enrichment

Feed me

Clean my cabin.

Who needs more?

I bet a long cruise to nowhere would attract many cruisers.

It would not work on all lines but on Crystal it would be great.

4 minutes ago, bitob said:

I would do 21 days at sea

In a heartbeat.

Just tell me where to get on and off the ship

And keep my days and nights filled with fabulous Crystal enrichment

Feed me

Clean my cabin.

Who needs more?

I bet a long cruise to nowhere would attract many cruisers.

It would not work on all lines but on Crystal it would be great.

Absolutely agree. Hope to see you there. 

1 minute ago, TER777 said:

Absolutely agree. Hope to see you there. 

I wonder why they haven't considered it.  Most of us are extremely well travelled.  We've been to 100+ countries.  I do not care if I see another church or museum or whatever else there is to see.  I just want to get away from it all.

Logistics...  The ship needs to restock after about 12-14 days, and that docking usually introduces all the problems of any other port of call regardless of whether passengers actually get off or not. 

...Not that I've spent a lot of time thinking about this or designing itineraries lately or anything.  hehe

Vince

Just now, BWIVince said:

Logistics...  The ship needs to restock after about 12-14 days, and that docking usually introduces all the problems of any other port of call regardless of whether passengers actually get off or not. 

As Keith can attest ships can go a lot longer than 12-14 days without replenishment.  We went 24 days on Northwest Passage (Silver Explorer) and Keith on Serenity probably went close to that in length.

Just now, mrlevin said:

As Keith can attest ships can go a lot longer than 12-14 days without replenishment.  We went 24 days on Northwest Passage (Silver Explorer) and Keith on Serenity probably went close to that in length.

It's not that "ships" can't -- of course they can, but Crystal's passengers have pretty high expectations about keeping items in stock.  (The temper tantrums in Waterside when the backup orange juice comes out is famous.)  After about 14 days you start running the risk of running out of items based on natural variations in ordering from different passenger populations.  Not everything freezes so well either, and the "fine-tuned" refrigeration systems start losing a lot of items after about two weeks too.

The Northwest Passage took a LOT of extra logistic planning (including catering) at a VERY high cost for those extras -- I think the number of people willing to take a 21 day cruise to nowhere at that kind of premium per diem is probably a lot more limited than just the number of people willing to take a 21 cruise to nowhere.

Obviously I could be wrong though...  Might make a good poll!  (With the extra cost variables)

Vince

I know there is some really good reason why it can not happen, but could not Symphony sail across the Atlantic, re-stock at that special place, and sail back?

It could re-stock from another ship, no?

As long as we are doing the Bahamas, why not some TAs?

25 minutes ago, Pat King said:

I know there is some really good reason why it can not happen, but could not Symphony sail across the Atlantic, re-stock at that special place, and sail back?

As long as we are doing the Bahamas, why not some TAs?

Great thinking.  I would be on board with that -- pun intended

40 minutes ago, Pat King said:

I suspect you mean this in jest, but having had a real-world experience.... In 2007 on our first WC segment, we were in Punta Arenas Chile, which was a major provisioning stop. The port authority would not allow Serenity to dock due to high winds, so we sat out in the bay. They still had to get the provisioning done as we were heading to Antarctica. They used the biggest tugs I have ever seen to bring everything out to the ship in relays, and all those cartons you have watched them load onshore using fork lifts had to be hand-bombed onboard by a "chain gang" of crew over a period of several hours. Having had some experience in this back when I was a teenaged grocery clerk, I can tell you that it is back-breaking work and I did not envy the crew that were doing it! 

1 hour ago, Roland4 said:

I suspect you mean this in jest, but having had a real-world experience.... In 2007 on our first WC segment, we were in Punta Arenas Chile, which was a major provisioning stop. The port authority would not allow Serenity to dock due to high winds, so we sat out in the bay. They still had to get the provisioning done as we were heading to Antarctica. They used the biggest tugs I have ever seen to bring everything out to the ship in relays, and all those cartons you have watched them load onshore using fork lifts had to be hand-bombed onboard by a "chain gang" of crew over a period of several hours. Having had some experience in this back when I was a teenaged grocery clerk, I can tell you that it is back-breaking work and I did not envy the crew that were doing it! 

Maybe Crystal should reconsider Punta Arenas as a provisioning stop.  The same thing happened to me on the Symphony in 2016 but a bit easier.  We  were coming from Antarctica and our next stop was Puerto Montt.  They shipped all the stuff there(or at least the perishable).  While a tender stop they were at least a bit more mechanized:

freshfood2.jpg

I think though, that even last March ships were allowed to come into a port to revision while they could have no personnel interchanges.  Kind of making a port day into an impromptu sea day.

Roy

4 hours ago, BWIVince said:

It's not that "ships" can't -- of course they can, but Crystal's passengers have pretty high expectations about keeping items in stock.  (The temper tantrums in Waterside when the backup orange juice comes out is famous.)  After about 14 days you start running the risk of running out of items based on natural variations in ordering from different passenger populations.  Not everything freezes so well either, and the "fine-tuned" refrigeration systems start losing a lot of items after about two weeks too.

The Northwest Passage took a LOT of extra logistic planning (including catering) at a VERY high cost for those extras -- I think the number of people willing to take a 21 day cruise to nowhere at that kind of premium per diem is probably a lot more limited than just the number of people willing to take a 21 cruise to nowhere.

Obviously I could be wrong though...  Might make a good poll!  (With the extra cost variables)

Vince

How about over in the Bistro or on a new thread you can get submissions of "fantasy itineraries" and have a poll? The winner gets Portuguese tarts and some Bistro coffee next time onboard!

Folks it's nice to dream about a cruise to nowhere but its not happening.

I know some are fantasizing about this but in all seriousness it's not happening.

Why?

Most people don't want only sea days. Please remember we don't represent most people.

Most people do not have 21 days for a cruise.

Most people are not willing to pay the cost for the cruise.

It is pretty costly.  There is this cost called fuel.

Speaking of fuel 21 days without fuel.

Yes, many of us have been on a long stretch with no sea days.  I will tell you you reach a point where people want out for various reasons and believe it or not it is not only to put your feet on land but also to take a break from the activities.  I remember this very well.

Oh, people aren't happy when the salads, and fruit run out.

And I am not sure people are thinking this through.

So it all sounds nice but I am a believer you have to deal with the hand you have been dealt and that is 7 day cruises.   For those who want a longer cruise you do what some are doing and book two or more back to back cruises.  Want more sea days, easy.  Make port days sea days.  Many of us have done this before. Went on three back to back Mediterranean cruises in the fall of 2018 and not one, repeat not one sea day.  We still created a few of our own.

Anyway, let's focus on the fact that Crystal is going to sail and not worry about what is not in the cards.  And even under normal circumstances you are not going to see itineraries without ports at least for Crystal.

Larry, I remember that day well in 2007.  I think you and your lovely wife were supposed to get off in Punta Arenas to get over to Antarctica (if my brain is still working) and you were able to get over there but I believe from the next port.  Wow, those seas were very rough.  A few years later we got back to Punta Arenas and we docked.  We were also very fortunate.  I remember the HAL Prinsendam got into a very rough spot and was listing and some guests had to be taken off the ship and they lost a lot of dishes.  We were fortunate not to deal with this.

Anyway, let's all be happy Crystal is cruising.  It's great to dream of other itineraries including the ones people like to fantasize but I am sure these 7 day ones will be great and people are just ready to get back to what they love doing.  Remember that feeling of your first time on a cruise ship.  I suspect many will have that same feeling when they board Serenity after not having cruised for 16 or more months.

Keith

7 hours ago, bitob said:

I wonder why they haven't considered it.  Most of us are extremely well travelled.  We've been to 100+ countries.  I do not care if I see another church or museum or whatever else there is to see.  I just want to get away from it all.

Absolutely.

Crystal possibly more than many other cruise lines is geared towards cruising (in its truest sense) without the need to go into ports to see places that have limited appeal.

We would certainly go.  The pleasure of a Crystal cruise is being onboard.  

Come on Crystal pull your finger out.  

Hardly a day goes by without another cruise line announcing UK only cruises (jabs obligatory) and lots of cruise-to-nowhere, short, itineraries. Its interesting to see so much confidence in their being sufficient people looking for such cruises on, essentially, mega ships. Mind you, the potential for land based overseas holidays this year is slowly (quickly?) evaporating so maybe they are banking on the 'desperation' factor. I wonder how many passengers will be new to cruising? 

We've just cancelled our August UK sailing cruise with Tradewinds. They cut out the Channel Islands (not strictly UK) and the Cowes sailing festival highlight of the cruise is going to be a shadow of its former self. So enthusiasm waned.... To keep ourselves busy we've decided to move house and occupy ourselves that way!

Adrian 

11 hours ago, bitob said:

I am just back from a 21 days cruising. It was great. Not Crystal of course but a German ship all inclusive with excellent service. Every 7 days they required that all passengers disembark in order to disinfect the common areas of the ship. 
Ivi