What is your Cruise Critic story?

• Administrators

We'd love to hear YOUR Cruise Critic story!

Do you have any Cruise Critic memories to share?  Any photos of meeting other members?  Maybe you took one of our famous (or should I say infamous) Member Cruises? 

All stories welcome!

On 3/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, LauraS said:

Do you have any Cruise Critic memories to share?  Any photos of meeting other members?  Maybe you took one of our famous (or should I say infamous) Member Cruises? 

All stories welcome!

I’m lucky my memory goes that far back.  More than 25 years ago when cc was born and bottle fed.  We were not on the internet.  That was a time of dirt roads and wagon trains.  But we had comraderie.    A great chat room of which I was one of the original hosts. We lost the chat room at some point.  That would be a good feature to start up again. We had some interesting guest speakers.    Besides member cruises we had Host cruises which both were a lot of fun. Putting faces to screen names was Great and lasting. CC friendships were made .

hope to see you on board and on the boards

Host Star

One of my favorite cruises was a Domaine Chandon Cruise on Princess. Champagne included every night. Pam Anderson did a great job planning this . too bad Chandon is not what they once were. Have joined the Schramsberg wine club.  Hope they do a cruise some day. Much  more personable. 

• Administrators

Member cruises -- anyone remember the ones hosted by our own Host Randy?  Wow was he fun!  Any memories of Host Randy -- maybe I can see if I can get him to "pop" in to say hello!

I wish I could remember which one it was...but Randy entered the Talent Show on board....it was a Carnival Cruise (of course, his fave).  There were so many Cruise Critic members in attendance at that show and he was awesome. I'm pretty sure he won!

Laura

Oh my....I'm like Host Star.....can I remember that far back?

I'm pretty sure we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise early in our cruising history and a group of the Cruise Critic hosts were onboard.  In speaking with them over the course of the cruise, I learned a lot about Cruise Critic and quickly became addicted thereafter.  I'm pretty sure when I joined there were less than 10,000 members of Cruise Critic.  Today, there's a whole lot more members.  It wasn't long after that Royal Caribbean cruise that I was offered the chance to moderate the Celebrity board here on CC.  Twenty years later, I'm still doing it.

I've met so many wonderful people through Cruise Critic who share the same love of cruising.  I miss the days where I shared the hosting duties with Host Walt.  He was here long before me and taught me so much about moderating the boards.  He sadly passed away a few years ago and I remember our moderating days together fondly. 

Even though the past year has been very challenging for the cruise industry and we haven't been able to chat much about upcoming cruises I have to commend our members whose love of cruising remains strong.  

I'm looking forward to the next 20 years of Cruise Critic and cruising!  

11 minutes ago, LauraS said:

Member cruises -- anyone remember the ones hosted by our own Host Randy?  Wow was he fun!  Any memories of Host Randy -- maybe I can see if I can get him to "pop" in to say hello!

I wish I could remember which one it was...but Randy entered the Talent Show on board....it was a Carnival Cruise (of course, his fave).  There were so many Cruise Critic members in attendance at that show and he was awesome. I'm pretty sure he won!

Laura

I have a GREAT photo of Host Randy but it may have been before my digital camera so I'm not sure I can easily find it....but I'll look.  He was awesome!

We've met most of our long time land friends through Cruise Critic! :classic_biggrin: Of course they mostly live in other states and even countries. But we still keep in touch and get together for vacations or cruises as often as we can. :classic_biggrin:

Cruise Critic is a great resource for meeting others. We met a wonderful couple on an Australian TP. When they next visited the US, they stayed with us for a few fun packed days. We will stay with them the next time we visit Australia. 

And we had our cruise friends from Massachusetts and California visit for a week and we did the whole Northern California tour, San Francisco, the sites and Alcatraz. The wine country and old town Sacramento and the spas in Calistoga. It was even more fun (and busier) than a cruise.  :classic_biggrin:

Cruise Critic has been very rewarding for us. :classic_biggrin:

Cruise Critic was so important to my cruising experiences. I met so many people through our Meet and Mingles, and still stay in touch with quite a few of them. Every cruise we booked, began with CC!!! I did many LIVE posts from the ships on CC, and was thrilled to share my adventures with others and answer any questions they had. I was section captain of the Quest twice, played in the Battle of the Sexes twice and even got to be one of the couples in the Love and Marriage Show (still have the VHS video!) lol. CC is a must for all cruisers!

Charter member of Cruise Critic and have mostly been on Celebrity board over the years. I remember all the people who have cruised and posted on here, some who no longer post and some who are gone. One person who I miss was a poster on Celebrity board named Newt, incredibly funny man who they actually made a moderator for a day. It was a funny day.

Hi Don🙂 I remember when we sailed together..tell Jeannie hi!  And I remember Newt too.

Anne and Laura,  we sailed together on the inaugural of Celebrity Solstice.....wow, that is a long

time ago......2008! Can hardly believe it has been 13 years😲

I joined CC in 2003 and other than a few glitches here and there over the years, I love this site👍

21 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Charter member of Cruise Critic and have mostly been on Celebrity board over the years. I remember all the people who have cruised and posted on here, some who no longer post and some who are gone. One person who I miss was a poster on Celebrity board named Newt, incredibly funny man who they actually made a moderator for a day. It was a funny day.

OH MY.....I haven't seen Newt's name in a long, long time.  Thanks for the memories!

Lois ~ so good to see your name pop up again....so many great memories.....Hard to believe that the Solstice inaugural was 13 years ago....where do the years go???  

Hi Anne, great to see you too. I am still around.

Hope you and Andy are both doing well🙂

On 4/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Don🙂 I remember when we sailed together..tell Jeannie hi!  And I remember Newt too.

Anne and Laura,  we sailed together on the inaugural of Celebrity Solstice.....wow, that is a long

I joined CC in 2003 and other than a few glitches here and there over the years, I love this site👍

Hi Lois

Yes I remember, we were on the first cruise on Equinox out of North America. Just got Jeanne back after a month in NJ at our daughters home. We had our first grand daughter on March 6th, daughter had to have a C section and Jeanne was helping out.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Hi Lois

Yes I remember, we were on the first cruise on Equinox out of North America. Just got Jeanne back after a month in NJ at our daughters home. We had our first grand daughter on March 6th, daughter had to have a C section and Jeanne was helping out.

CONGRATULATIONS GRANDPA😃

Hi Don, I should have said, it is good to see you again😃...those cruises together feel like

lifetimes ago!

Cruise Critic Story

In 2009 I was recently retired and we were taking a cruise on a Mass Market cruise line with an organization my DH belonged to.  My previous and only cruise was about 12 years prior and I knew I needed to understand some of the ins and outs of cruising.  

I went to Trip Advisor and from there found Cruise Critic. The most important thing I learned was that even though our paperwork said 5pm, we needed to get on board earlier and we could have lunch once on board.

I read as many trip reports and "Live reports" as I could find for our cruise line.  (I find these more informative than the CC reviews).  We were much more prepared for our cruise thanks to CC.

Once we got home, I felt I should write a review to repay all of the reviews I had read and relied on.  It is fun for me to write down all the interesting things from the cruise.  How surprised I was when someone challenged my opinion for something on our cruise.  But that hasn't stopped me.

I want to make sure to remember that CC is still giving informative information to new cruisers.  Even if we are repeating the same information in a review or as an answer to a question, it may be very helpful to the person who has just discovered CC (like me in 2009). It took me many visits to CC before I figured out how to search.

I consider myself an amateur photographer and build DVD presentations of our cruises.  On about the third cruise on the same ship, I didn't take many (if any) pictures of the ship.  So my presentation didn't included much on the ship, just on the ports.  I quickly realized that when I showed this to friends who had not seen (or remembered) the previous cruise pictures, they were getting only half of the story.  So I now try to make my photo stories and my reviews for CC be informative (even if repeating things like info on a lounge) as I can for someone new to CC and cruises.

• Administrators
On 3/30/2021 at 12:09 AM, Coralc said:

Cruise Critic has been very rewarding for us. :classic_biggrin:

This made my day.   We're so thankful for members like you!\

• Administrators
On 3/31/2021 at 8:28 PM, dkjretired said:

Yes, that was very funny!  

• Administrators
On 4/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, Lois R said:

Honestly there's so much to remember...thanks for sharing this!  I can't believe it was that long ago too.  Very happy to have you here, still, Lois.

Laura

• Administrators

@mj_holiday I couldn't agree more re:  remembering the newbies, and what it feels like to be new around here.  Glad you stuck around -- as are all the newbies to the site!

So I am one of the "newbies", only been on here since 2007.   I also liked to do detailed photo reviews to help pay it forward for all the info we gathered on here.   So on one of my cruises (I forget which one), I was walking along the beach and some "stranger" comes up and asks "are you Cruisinskier?"  After I said I was he thanked me for the detailed reviews and the information I shared.  We chatted for a good 10-15 minutes and may have had drinks later on-board.  I was a little shocked that he recognized me but it also gave me insight into the power of this site.  As he left my niece who was with me said "you're famous!" 🙂   

I have had a couple of reviews where obviously people were looking for info....as I planned my own river cruise, I found limited info so I did a detailed Viking River Cruise photo review.  176K views later obviously there was a lack of info that I hopefully helped a little with.  

I have learned more about cruising on this site than anywhere else, and I am a former cruise agent!  Thanks to all who monitor and keep this site live!

Jerry

On 3/24/2021 at 2:45 PM, LauraS said:

LOL--- LOL --- Oh Boy !!!

I joined CC just over a year ago and made my first ever post on any social media site .
( I mentioned this sooooo many times )--- but, it brings back fond ( ?? ) memories.

LOL---All I did was " Question " Who Cares ( ?? ) on a thread ( Who's On Board ) with over 150 pages .  

Holy Cow, Smack, Whack, right in the chops from the many who really do Care . 

Within a day -- My post was removed and I received a very polite ( that's true ) email " guiding "me to the Guidelines of CC from the Moderator as well as comments from a few long time CCers re the same. 

In the meantime, I truly enjoy reading and participating on several threads, make sure I stay within the Guidelines ( hard to do sometimes )  and, hope to meet many folks in person someday.   

On 4/6/2021 at 3:12 PM, LauraS said:

Honestly there's so much to remember...thanks for sharing this!  I can't believe it was that long ago too.  Very happy to have you here, still, Lois.

Laura

Thank you😃

There are so many good memories that have come from Cruise Critic, Meet & Mingles, etc.  But if I were to pick my #1 memory, it would be my lost camera thread from back in 2009 (or maybe 2010) where Cruise Critic members helped me track down the camera owner in Aruba....who also happened to be a Cruise Critic member. 

For background, the owner lost the camera while diving in Aruba.  I found it 6 months later, washed up in Key West.  Amazingly, 2 months into the journey, a sea turtle found the camera, managed to turn it on, and recorded himself.