What is your Cruise Critic story?

We had a group that we formed from CC on a Princess Med in 09, cruise that included Turkey and Egypt. This was all before all the Mid East turmoil when everything shut down.  Had a ball and there was a travel agent on board and on the CC role call.  she arranged some private tours for our group that wound up saving us a ton of money compared to the Princess prices.  We'd meet up at the same bar most nights.

There were enough of us to fill 3 buses. By the end of two weeks everybody knew everybody. We still talk about it.

I found CC back in 2005 as I was preparing for my Celebrity cruise out of San Juan.  I found our Roll Call and got to chatting with several people on there.  When we finally met up at the Martini Bar, I felt like we had all been friends forever.  Sadly, I've lost touch with all of them.

I also discovered the ports of call boards. I never realized that you could do excursions on your own and at such a HUGE savings.  So for that cruise, I pulled the trigger and booked an independent excursion in Grenada.  I have to admit, I was still a little nervous about making it back to the ship on time, but the excursion was fabulous and I was hooked.  No more cruise line excursions for me.

In 2010, my kids and former in laws went with us on another cruise out of San Juan.  My boys are now hooked on cruising!  My former in-laws were speechless when they heard about our excursions every night at dinner.  We did so much more in half a day than they did on their full day cruise line excursions.  They did, however, fully enjoy the 1/2 day sailboat and snorkeling excursion that I found and booked that they joined us on.

In 2013, we took my mother with us to Alaska.  She flew up a week after we did, but I planned the entire trip here on CC and TA.  My mother still brags to her friends about the excursions we took and how breathtaking they were. 

I have referred many friends and family to CC to help them with their planning.  I don't know how many have actually taken me up on it.  I can't wait to get back to cruising - sadly probably way too many years from now as my youngest has 2 more years of college and the out of state tuition is killing me!

Everyone's stories are so interesting.🙂I know I posted earlier in this thread but I wanted to say I actually found Cruise Critic back in Jan 2003 and took my first Celebrity cruise in May of that same year.  It was on Celebrity Century...loved that ship🙂

I have lost count on how many cruises I have been on since that time but sometimes it is hard to believe I have been cruising regularly for almost 20 years now!  That first cruise was to the Eastern Caribbean....first time for me to St Thomas.....it was so exciting as the only part of the Caribbean I had ever been to was The Bahamas.   I LOVED that cruise and I knew 1/2 through it I wanted to sail again and have never looked back!

Where have the years gone?😲

• 1 month later...

I joined cc in 2004.  My husband was ill with cancer, but we had always wanted to go on an Alaska cruise.  CC was so helpful, finding me a company that would provide a scooter for him, delivered right to our cabin, on the Celerity Summet, in Seward, charged and ready for adventure. July 2004 , we had a wonderful trip, met people from over the world. still friends.  Memories to last.  My wonderful husband passed away January 2005 at home while we flipped through photo album.  Since then  I have travelled the world, sometimes alone or with friends. My next trip is October 2024, 69 days to South Pacific and Australia then spending Christmas with cruise friends in Adelaide. CC has been with me all these years, Happy 25th Anniversary      Kate.  

The best cruises are the ones where you open yourself up to doing impromptu things with new acquaintances. Cruise Critic sets that into motion even before you board.

My best memory was a Cabin Crawl set up by our Meet & Greet where we decided at the last minute to volunteer our unusual cabin on the Brilliance of the Sea as there wasn't enough variety to the scheduled mix.

Nobody had ever seen a cabin like ours.

It was a large corner oceanview, which was apparently a handicapped cabin with a huge area between the bed and couch areas. It looked like the perfect dance floor and that's what it became when we turned on the music and ordered food and drinks from room service.

Before we knew it, the Cabin Crawl became a cabin party which lasted all afternoon. I'm not sure if we ever finished the entire cabin itinerary but nobody seemed to care.

Sometimes these kinds of experiences bring together friends for life. Sometimes you never see any of these people again but you always have fond memories. Cruise Critic is the factor that makes it all possible.

I found cruise critic in February 2003.  I booked a cruise for our 30th anniversary.  It was a once in a lifetime vacation for our 30th anniversary.  I spent so much time on the Royal Caribbean website looking at everything there was cruise wise.  The Royal website had a link to cruise critic, so I checked out the site ….. low and behold they had everything, and anything related to cruising.  I read every single post pertaining to Royal Caribbean cruises.  I checked out posts on ports and received so much information about the Western Caribbean cruise that we were going on. 

then checked out the meet and mingle and met so many lovely people.   Then I decided I needed to look at what to wear on a cruise and started looking at and posting on the cruise clothes thread.  Then I decided I needed to lose weight before the cruise and met the “lose before you cruise” thread. 

We had the most amazing cruise on the Voyager, Western Caribbean, I truly believe that without cruise critic I would not have known as much or known as much about our adventure.  I ended up writing a review … I am sorry that I didn’t keep a copy as I now longer have the information as cruise critic did a major change on the website.

I have made so many friends over the year, many who are now Facebook friends and so many that I have cruised with again. 

Covid has made it difficult to cruise and have had 5 cruises canceled, although I have 6 cruises booked.  We are now diamond on Royal and platinum on Norwegian, 18 years later we had gone on 21 cruises (with 6 more in the works) ….I am so glad that I found cruise critic and all the people that have become friends and cruise buddies. 

With every cruise we go on I have discovered information about ports and cruising in general.  We are now working on bucket list cruises…in the works are Alaska, and the Med.  Love cruising!!  Jan

16 minutes ago, Jan_In_Maine said:

I found cruise critic in February 2003.  I booked a cruise for our 30th anniversary.  It was a once in a lifetime vacation for our 30th anniversary.  I spent so much time on the Royal Caribbean website looking at everything there was cruise wise.  The Royal website had a link to cruise critic, so I checked out the site ….. low and behold they had everything, and anything related to cruising.  I read every single post pertaining to Royal Caribbean cruises.  I checked out posts on ports and received so much information about the Western Caribbean cruise that we were going on. 

then checked out the meet and mingle and met so many lovely people.   Then I decided I needed to look at what to wear on a cruise and started looking at and posting on the cruise clothes thread.  Then I decided I needed to lose weight before the cruise and met the “lose before you cruise” thread. 

We had the most amazing cruise on the Voyager, Western Caribbean, I truly believe that without cruise critic I would not have known as much or known as much about our adventure.  I ended up writing a review … I am sorry that I didn’t keep a copy as I now longer have the information as cruise critic did a major change on the website.

I have made so many friends over the year, many who are now Facebook friends and so many that I have cruised with again. 

Covid has made it difficult to cruise and have had 5 cruises canceled, although I have 6 cruises booked.  We are now diamond on Royal and platinum on Norwegian, 18 years later we had gone on 21 cruises (with 6 more in the works) ….I am so glad that I found cruise critic and all the people that have become friends and cruise buddies. 

With every cruise we go on I have discovered information about ports and cruising in general.  We are now working on bucket list cruises…in the works are Alaska, and the Med.  Love cruising!!  Jan

Hey Jan, how are you?🙂 and I remember all those years ago we chatted on the Fashion Forum together all the time.

I was on the Original Cruise Critic platform sometime after 1989 when we took our first cruise.  When it went to the Web platform I changed over and have been using it ever since. We have been on over 50 cruises since 1989 and have 4 booked cruises to replace cancelled cruises in the past year. I use Cruise Critic almost every day.

Nancy

Cruise Directions