Jump to content

The Daily for Thursday Mar 25, 2021


 Share

Recommended Posts

 

Today is Feast of the Annunciation, Pecan Day, and Waffle Day


"Food, love, career, and mothers, the four major guilt groups. - Cathy Guisewite"

Meal suggestion for today - Breaded Pork Tenderloin

Drink of the Day - Penicillin

Wine of the day - Long Shadows Riesling Columbia Valley Poet's Leap - Washington - White

Port of the Day - Port Canaveral Florida US

At Sea English Channel
Eurodam Destination Southampton eta 3/26

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Volendam Destination Corfu GR eta 3/26

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 3/26
Westerdam Destination Long Beach eta 3/28

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Zaandam Anchorage

 

0325World.thumb.png.d948f5eb1fd92ef51c9de64e98d5d67b.png

  • Like 33
  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'm not one to celebrate Feast of the Annunciation, but Pecan and Waffle (especially the freshly pressed ones served in HAL lidos) are delightful.  So true on the Quote.  Sailed from Port Canaveral many times but seldom see HAL there.  Today is also Maryland Day, the day the Ark and Dove sailed up the Chesapeake.  Breaded Pork Tenderloin sounds very nice.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 25, 2017.

 

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes25.jpg

 

Today's care list:


Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

 

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:


Welcome aboard Petunia1950

Welcome home NextOne DH

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Garlictown lasr day in Maui

Jabs for StLouisCruisers DD and DSIL, kplady and kids,

New Eagles–2 in Pittsburgh and one in my scout troop

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

 

Roy

 

  • Like 32
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning, everyone!

 

It is going to be another warm day here.  Who knows what the rest of the weather forecast really is.  It says rain, but the hour by hour doesn't show it until later tonight.  I'll make the most of it until then!

 

It was really nice going out with friends yesterday.  I love that the vaccine is my passport to normalcy.  It has been a long time.

 

Today's celebrations are all good ones, although I would skip the waffles due to the carbs.  

 

Today's meal gets very mixed reviews.  The breading needs some pizazz and Barbara from Iowa disapproves of the method of preparation.  I will be interested in Roy's alternative.

 

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/breaded-pork-tenderloin/

 

 

Breaded pork tenderloin.jpg

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

I don't celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation, but I will celebrate pecans and waffles.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds great - thanks for the recipe @dfish.

I'll wait to see the recipe for the drink of the day, not sure I want it.  Hope the wine isn't too sweet.

Prayers for all.

Stay safe.

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning.  Love Cathy and her comic strip.  Great group of days and the menu is so good.

Port Canaveral is close to us but we've never cruised from her.  We do take the Casino boat cruise that leave from there tho.

Prayers and toasts to all of us!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Penicillin Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces blended scotch
3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 ounce honey-ginger syrup*
1/4 ounce Islay single malt scotch
Garnish: candied ginger

Steps
Add the blended scotch, lemon juice and syrup into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Top with the Islay single malt scotch.
Garnish with a piece of candied ginger.
*Honey-ginger syrup: Combine 1 cup honey, 1 6-inch piece of peeled and thinly sliced ginger and 1 cup water in a saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes. Place in the refrigerator to steep overnight. Strain with a cheesecloth.

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.26.46 AM.png

  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning.   Pecans and waffles, yum.  One of my favorite late night diners in New Orleans is the Camellia Grill which serves an outrageous Pecan Waffle.  It is right on the Streetcar line at the corner of St Charles and Carrollton.   
 

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.  Hope and peace for those in need.  

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's sunrise is from my 2014 3-ship combination from Bali to Ft. Lauderdale.  On March 25 Crystal Serenity was at sea from Durban to Port Elizabeth:

 

dawn0325.jpg

 

Roy

  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good  morning  to  all. I  will  celebrate  waffles  and  pecans today  and  have  not  been  to  the  port of  the  day. I  laughed  out  loud  at  the  recipe  comments  that  Debbie  found  for  us. My DD  and  I  regularly  chortle  at  the  NYT recipe  site  comments. There  are  usually  a  few  very  opinionated  folks  (hey, it's  NY!) who  must  get  their  two  cents  in.

Today  DH  and  I  will  make  our  maiden  voyage  to  a  regular  grocery  store. We  are  going  early  before  it  can  get  too  crowded. I  have  to  say I  am  really  excited to  be  once again out  in  the  world.   The   simple  things  in  life  can  bring  the  most  joy.      Terry

  • Like 24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A note on Port Canaveral. It was interesting to see this pop up this morning. When I started the port selection, I grabbed a list from the HAL website where you could select a port of call you wanted to visit. While HAL used Port Canaveral for embarkation sometime in the early 2000's, that has not been the case in a long time. Port Canaveral shows up as a port of call for one cruise, a relocation from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8, 2022-Oct 22, 2022. portCanaveral.png.76c4325861b65044f4553829d1424829.png

With all the options between Boston and Fort Lauderdale, why stop at Port Canaveral?

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

 

Feast of Annunciation - a nice day to remember for so many Christians of all denomination.  Yum on pecans.

 

LOL on Cathy’s quote.  So true.

 

I don’t know about that drink of the day.  Despite the description, I find the name off putting.  Delighted to see a white wine on today’s Daily.  Looking forward to Cat’s description.

 

Passing on the meal suggestion for the day.  I just started my diet:

 

D800CF50-164B-4C09-9B47-BB05A7F7F7CB.jpeg.7fb3533fb8532acb2e884e8d020639d5.jpeg

 

The weather is flipping again - it’s always so iffy at this time of year.

 

E5CBAF73-9477-4556-9E10-A3353453EA01.thumb.jpeg.23da9a59a82448cffe248aadb2d67208.jpeg

 

Have been to Port Canaveral but not on a cruise ship.  Once was enough for me 😉 

 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list and for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

 

I saw this on FB yesterday and it gave me a chuckle.  Admittedly my sense of humour may be getting distorted with covid fatigue 😉 

 

3421E2BD-8023-48E8-B5F3-26589C18634E.jpeg.6992111b2d0f7318b63c95d51f337883.jpeg

 

Have a great day everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

  • Like 30
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, dfish said:

Today's meal gets very mixed reviews.  The breading needs some pizazz and Barbara from Iowa disapproves of the method of preparation.

 

Here is what Barbara from Iowa wrote: This is not the breaded pork tenderloin we enjoy in Iowa. To make a breaded pork tenderloin , you have to pound it very thin. Then it is breaded, and usually deep fried but some do bake it. And allthough there is several ways to bread it, no one used corn meal. We also do a grilled unbreaded tenderloin again it is pounded but usually not as thin. Both are served as a sandwich.

 

A (deep fried) breaded pork tenderloin sandwich is a staple across Iowa, central Illinois and central Indiana - especially at fairs. I think there are unwritten state laws that that the pork must be twice the size of the bun - that's how thin the meat is pounded. Culver's (a regional restaurant/fast-food chain that's expanding) serves one that is close enough for homesick Midwesterners. It also has cheese curds - another fair staple from Wisconsin and Minnesota.

  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good Morning All, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll take the pecans in a nice warm sticky bun please.  The freshly made waffles in the lido are excellent, especially with a side of bacon.  Visiting Port Canaveral is on my to do list.  Rainy morning here today but the weather forecast says we will get into the 70’s with sunshine.

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combo of days. My favorite nut is the pecan. 
 

Roy thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Lol on today’s quote. What a drink! I might try a sip, but....

I best pass on the meal. Breading & pork just don’t appeal for some reason. It is super foggy here this morning. Under a severe weather alert until 10 a.m.  Salmon & grilled veggies for supper tonight.  I got some exciting news yesterday - my Iceland trip is on! We have to have proof of vaccination, and most likely will need to wear masks. And the CDC guidelines are still a bit off-putting, but I may get to go. It is not until mid-July, so a great deal can change by then. 

 

Gosh I have been to today’s port twice, but do not have one picture. Not even from inside the Disney cruise terminal. But it is a great port for excursions to Disney World, Universal, etc..., and as Roy mentioned - Kennedy Space Center.  
 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!
 

***********

Today’s Riesling is off-dry, but I have learned my lesson about off-dry; they are still too sweet for me. All released vintages have excellent ratings. The reviews are for the 2017 vintage. And it sounds wonderful. Several online distributors offer it with prices starting at $18.98. Later vintages cost less. 

Winemaker Notes

Juicy kumquat and lively grapefruit aromas and flavors are laced with hints of white peach and honey with a pleasing streak of minerality throughout. Beautifully balanced with just the right amount of racy acidity, the off-dry finish is long and clean.
JS93 James Suckling: A bright and floral riesling that has musky, fresh and floral perfume and a very bright, fine and crisp palate. This is quality. The finesse and detail really impress. Drink or hold. 
WE91 Wine Enthusiast:  Generous aromas of lime leaf, citrus, wet slate and white peach lead to off-dry stone-fruit and citrus flavors that stretch out on the palate. It brings a beautiful sense of acid balance with an impressively long finish. Give it some additional time in bottle to see it at its best.
Editors' Choice
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  I'm not one to celebrate Feast of the Annunciation, but Pecan and Waffle (especially the freshly pressed ones served in HAL lidos) are delightful.  So true on the Quote.  Sailed from Port Canaveral many times but seldom see HAL there.  Today is also Maryland Day, the day the Ark and Dove sailed up the Chesapeake.  Breaded Pork Tenderloin sounds very nice.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy, and Cranberry, and Pineapple Crisp as served on MS Zaandam March 25, 2017.

 

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes25.jpg

 

Today's care list:


Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

 

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:


Welcome aboard Petunia1950

Welcome home NextOne DH

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Garlictown lasr day in Maui

Jabs for StLouisCruisers DD and DSIL, kplady and kids,

New Eagles–2 in Pittsburgh and one in my scout troop

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

 

Roy

 

Roy:

In the Catholic Church the Feast of the Annunciation is a Solemnity.  At Mass both the Gloria and the creed are recited and the Tedeum is recired in the Office of Reading aka Matind.

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were at a restaurant in South Carolina with a group of friends, all Canadians. One of the men asked for pecan pie. The waitress patiently explained that “PECAN was something you put under your bed at night, PECON was in a pie”. 😁

  • Like 14
  • Haha 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Love Cathy and her comic strip.  Great group of days and the menu is so good.

Port Canaveral is close to us but we've never cruised from her.  We do take the Casino boat cruise that leave from there tho.

Prayers and toasts to all of us!

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Penicillin Cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces blended scotch
3/4 ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
3/4 ounce honey-ginger syrup*
1/4 ounce Islay single malt scotch
Garnish: candied ginger

Steps
Add the blended scotch, lemon juice and syrup into a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Top with the Islay single malt scotch.
Garnish with a piece of candied ginger.
*Honey-ginger syrup: Combine 1 cup honey, 1 6-inch piece of peeled and thinly sliced ginger and 1 cup water in a saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes. Place in the refrigerator to steep overnight. Strain with a cheesecloth.

 

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.26.46 AM.png

That sounds like an interesting drink.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Whoa, Rich -- you had me at breaded pork tenderloin!!  😍  

 

Being a born and bred Hoosier gal, I grew up on those things and sorely miss them down here in the Sunshine State.  

 

Culver's does a reasonable facsimile, but still not like we get when we go back to Indiana.  In desperation, we have been buying Aldi's pork schnitzel, deep frying them and putting them on a slider bun.  🤯

 

DH likes his with mayo, lettuce, tomato and onion -- while I like it that way once in a while, my preferred dressings are yellow mustard, pickle and onion.

 

(This is the real deal, not our Aldi's version 🤪)

IMG_0336.thumb.jpg.195a7af6341bb508afdc650c0378459e.jpg

 

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

A note on Port Canaveral. It was interesting to see this pop up this morning. When I started the port selection, I grabbed a list from the HAL website where you could select a port of call you wanted to visit. While HAL used Port Canaveral for embarkation sometime in the early 2000's, that has not been the case in a long time. Port Canaveral shows up as a port of call for one cruise, a relocation from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale Oct 8, 2022-Oct 22, 2022. portCanaveral.png.76c4325861b65044f4553829d1424829.png

With all the options between Boston and Fort Lauderdale, why stop at Port Canaveral?

In the early 2000's  The ZAANDAM went out of Port Canaveral for two or three seasons.

I never used this port because it is about an hour out of Orlado and Port Everglades is right at Fort Lauderdale.  

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning!  We had rain overnight but the sun is trying to come out now.  I am heading out mid morning for my eye exam.  I hope that goes well.  

 

Port Canaveral is a port we've been to twice for our two Disney cruises on Disney Dream, March 2013 and March 2015.  Now that the grandkids are getting older I guess we won't be going back unless there are great grandkids to cruise with.  None in the foreseeable future I hope!

 

The Disney terminal is a nice building but I can't remember there being a lot of seating in there.  Just wide open spaces for kids to run around.  One feature is a model of a Disney ship which everyone found fascinating because one side had a cut away of the interior. enhance

 

enhance

 

I don't see any seating here!enhance

 

enhance

 

When your group is called to board you walk through these mouse ears.enhance

 

When you get inside a crew member asks you how you'd like to be introduced.  For instance, the Jones family, or Joe and Mary Smith, etc.  Then you really are introduced over the loudspeaker into the Atrium where you walk by crew members who are cheering and applauding your arrival.  Very nice and welcoming.  enhance

 

enhance

 

Photo of terminal from the ship.  You can go out to the balcony before you board to see the ship and take photos.  

enhance

 

Other ships in port with us. enhance

 

And the space center across the way where rockets are launched. enhance

  • Like 31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...