For those who miss being by the water

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I could spend the whole day listening to it.😊

I was on a cruise a few years ago that had a stop in St.Croix.I met one of the members of the Platters and somehow we began discussing Otis Redding who died much too young .I agree with you re this song.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for posting this.  There are tears in my eyes as I videoed this.  

Yes, especially when his sons are on the video.

This is terrific.  The Playing for Change organization has done other songs using their  song-around-the-world approach.   I stumbled on their video of The Weight some time ago.  One of my favorite songs and very well done.  

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

This is terrific.  The Playing for Change organization has done other songs using their  song-around-the-world approach.   I stumbled on their video of The Weight some time ago.  One of my favorite songs and very well done.  

Yes, I agree that they do a find job on The Weight, a truly great song. And there is just something about seeing Ringo Starr drumming that is hypnotic. 

If you have not seen it (or even if you have LOL), I would recommend highly the Playing for a Change version of Ripple.

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I agree with you re The Weight.Did you ever listen to Alex Bennett on the radio when the song first was released ?

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I agree that they do a find job on The Weight, a truly great song. And there is just something about seeing Ringo Starr drumming that is hypnotic. 

If you have not seen it (or even if you have LOL), I would recommend highly the Playing for a Change version of Ripple.

Ringo will be 81 in July and still playing and singing great music.

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Good suggestion.  After watching Ripple, I spent some time going through some of the other videos.  Excellent music.  I also really enjoyed that singer from the DR Congo, Mermans Mosengo.   

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I agree with you re The Weight.Did you ever listen to Alex Bennett on the radio when the song first was released ?

I don't think I ever did, at least I don't remember.  Looking at his Bio, it seems I should have especially since he was a "local". 

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Good suggestion.  After watching Ripple, I spent some time going through some of the other videos.  Excellent music.  I also really enjoyed that singer from the DR Congo, Mermans Mosengo.   

I don't think I ever did, at least I don't remember.  Looking at his Bio, it seems I should have especially since he was a "local". 

That is why I thought you might have listened to him on the radio because he lived in your area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

He's definitely still a STARR.

When I was in my 30’s if somebody told me I would be listening to an 81 year old singer I would have laughed.Now people in their 80’s do not seem that old.

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2021 at 1:52 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Ringo will be 81 in July and still playing and singing great music.

We saw him and his all star band a few years back at Bethel Woods. It was his first time there, but it was the second time he was scheduled to appear. It seems the first time they were coming from the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and customs would not allow their equipment to come into the USA, (I guess they did not do a good enough job hiding their drugs.🤣) We did have tickets to that show.

The next time when we did get a chance to see them, they were also coming from Niagara Falls, but I guess they did a better job of hiding their drugs.😊

Edited by ontheweb

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We saw him and his all star band a few years back at Bethel Woods. It was his first time there, but it was the second time he was scheduled to appear. It seems the first time they were coming from the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and customs would not allow their equipment to come into the USA, (I guess they did not do a good enough job hiding their drugs.🤣) We did have tickets to that show.

The next time when we did get a chance to see them, they were also coming from Niagara Falls, but I guess they did a better job of hiding their drugs.😊

In 1971 my wife and I were crossing the border by bus from Canada into the US. I had very long hair at the time.Every male who had long hair was taken off the bus to check their luggage.In one of mine they found small plastic bags with white powder.They opened up each bag and much to their surprise they were tasting Coffee Mate.😀

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, ontheweb said:

He's definitely still a STARR.

One of my neighbors has been in a Doo Wop group since 1959.He is the only original member of the group.Two of the guys are in their 30’s ,one guy is your age and one is my age.They do about 50 oldies shows a year .

The older guys still can sing.

7 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1971 my wife and I were crossing the border by bus from Canada into the US. I had very long hair at the time.Every male who had long hair was taken off the bus to check their luggage.In one of mine they found small plastic bags with white powder.They opened up each bag and much to their surprise they were tasting Coffee Mate.😀

I bet they were really disappointed with the Coffee Mate.😉

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Very ,but they found drugs in a suitcase of another passenger.

But, Lenny, you would have been the big prize, the major catch.