Symphony July and August

concerning June river cruises :  Europe is not doing very well despite vaccinations in all the countries .

Netherlands Germany increasing ... as from today nearly 3rd lockdown in belgium not so severe as the first one . 

I hope my booked Symphony in September 2021 will happen ... 

2 hours ago, vistaman said:

concerning June river cruises :  Europe is not doing very well despite vaccinations in all the countries .

Netherlands Germany increasing ... as from today nearly 3rd lockdown in belgium not so severe as the first one . 

I hope my booked Symphony in September 2021 will happen ... 

From what we read many countries in Europe are way behind on vaccination and have similar challenges to us where people wanted to get back to norm too quickly.

I just can't see cruising in Europe for both River Cruises and Ocean vessels happening anytime soon.  

Keith

11 hours ago, cruisr said:

You will not be sailing on any river cruise until October, 2021 IMHO.

then I hope my Crystal Rravel on 20th October will happen ...

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

From what we read many countries in Europe are way behind on vaccination and have similar challenges to us where people wanted to get back to norm too quickly.

I just can't see cruising in Europe for both River Cruises and Ocean vessels happening anytime soon.  

Keith

It is really sad that in my country with so many hospitals - in my hometown there are 11 hospitals - 3 "with all the disciplines"  for 600.000 people -  and access to ample medical care for nearly everybody , the vaccination is rather slow.  Questions in the Parliament : AstraZ and also Moderna  are not delivering decently. It seems other countries outside the EC were willing to pay more to the pharma for the first vaccines.  Hoping for J &J ... ( made in Belgium😀)

also elderly people not acquainted with IT missing appointments , not showing up .... 

nearly everyday the police is discovering secret parties and younsters breaking the distance , not wearing masks and more  - it is going on more as a full year 

But once again Crystal also is the victim of the fact , they never were able to  break into the non GB European market ... US pax not able to go into the EC .  contrarely to the Us an European with 20 Crystal cruises is already "high" 

IMHO operating the Esprit this summer is not causing problems  

On 3/28/2021 at 11:29 AM, vistaman said:

It is really sad that in my country with so many hospitals - in my hometown there are 11 hospitals - 3 "with all the disciplines"  for 600.000 people -  and access to ample medical care for nearly everybody , the vaccination is rather slow.  Questions in the Parliament : AstraZ and also Moderna  are not delivering decently. It seems other countries outside the EC were willing to pay more to the pharma for the first vaccines.  Hoping for J &J ... ( made in Belgium😀)

also elderly people not acquainted with IT missing appointments , not showing up .... 

nearly everyday the police is discovering secret parties and younsters breaking the distance , not wearing masks and more  - it is going on more as a full year 

But once again Crystal also is the victim of the fact , they never were able to  break into the non GB European market ... US pax not able to go into the EC .  contrarely to the Us an European with 20 Crystal cruises is already "high" 

Not really sure you can join the others in blaming AZ, as I don't think that your regulator has yet given approval. My understanding is that you have a supply, it's just that they are not yet being used. 

From what is reported here in the UK, I think it very unlikely that Europe will be happening at all this season. We are starting up cruising here again in June/July but with only UK ports of call.

To be fair, although our government have made a hash of a number of things, the one area in which they have excelled is in vaccines, funding the R and D, ordering early, spreading their bets regarding candidates and rolling out speedily and effectively. Currently, nearly 60% of our adults have received at least one dose and hospitalisations and deaths continue to decline. We are very cautiously starting to open up again and there has been remarkably little vaccine resistance. 

On 3/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, cruisr said:

You will not be sailing on any river cruise until October, 2021 IMHO.

How did you come up with October 2021?  Is anything being anticipated to occur in October of this year?

11 hours ago, Jinn said:

Does anyone have an educated guess about Symphony's Sept. and Oct. cruises?  Julia

Julia,

I have an uneducated guess that there may be no sailings in the Med this year as I expect the Black Sea cruise in August to be cancelled.  The problem, as described by the Crystal CEO, is a cruise that involves multiple countries and multiple ports each with potentially different Covid restrictions.

What Crystal and I assume the other cruise lines are not saying is what happens when a passenger or crew member tests positive during a voyage.  Being vaccinated doesn't prevent a person contracting the virus.  Will the cruise ship be prevented from docking ?   

Cruises this summer may well be a test and a pointer to future cruises.       

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, vistaman said:

It is really very difficult at the moment in Europe. The issue with AstraZeneca became  a never ending story.
First it was supposed to have a low efficacy, then the contract with the European Union was not fulfilled because apparently there were not enough vaccines. Then people started reporting bad side effects and could not work for days after the vaccine. Then the regulators in most European countries decided that the vaccine was not safe for older people and should only be used for people under 65. Then people startet dying of thrombosis and they associated this deaths with the vaccine so the European countries stopped vaccination with AstraZeneca. Then WHO and EMA insisted that AstraZeneca was safe for every adult so Europe started vaccinations again for every one. Then the Italians found 29 million of AstraZeneca vaccines  somewhere in Italy 😳, and the company declined to comment the destination of those vaccines despite not fulfilling its contractual obligations with Europe. Then a study came in USA in which the efficacy was close to 80%, then the USA health authority stated that the data used for that study was outdated, it is not clear when this vaccine will be approved in USA although there are millions of vaccines being produced there. Then, due to the scarcity of vaccines, the European governments are trying hard to increase the credibility of AstraZeneca because people are not going to their vaccination appointments with this vaccine, but today in Berlin the decision came that this vaccine shall only be given for people older than 60 due to further increases of thrombosis after vaccination. Gosh! This means a slower vaccination process for younger people with all implications that this have.😫

https://www.dw.com/en/berlin-halts-astrazeneca-vaccines-for-under-60s/a-57049301?fbclid=IwAR2swSDDuGHVW5rtuGUV0UNnJlIbWiVfK-YTwhj8hcQYtNtZO37InoTDmVs

Edited by travelberlin
17 hours ago, Jinn said:

Does anyone have an educated guess about Symphony's Sept. and Oct. cruises?  Julia

I'm interested in this too.  I have September and October Med/Middle East cruises booked on Symphony.  At this point, my uneducated guess is that they'll be canceled.  

Bill

On 3/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, travelberlin said:

It is really very difficult at the moment in Europe. The issue with AstraZeneca became  a never ending story.
First it was supposed to have a low efficacy, then the contract with the European Union was not fulfilled because apparently there were not enough vaccines. Then people started reporting bad side effects and could not work for days after the vaccine. Then the regulators in most European countries decided that the vaccine was not safe for older people and should only be used for people under 65. Then people startet dying of thrombosis and they associated this deaths with the vaccine so the European countries stopped vaccination with AstraZeneca. Then WHO and EMA insisted that AstraZeneca was safe for every adult so Europe started vaccinations again for every one. Then the Italians found 29 million of AstraZeneca vaccines  somewhere in Italy 😳, and the company declined to comment the destination of those vaccines despite not fulfilling its contractual obligations with Europe. Then a study came in USA in which the efficacy was close to 80%, then the USA health authority stated that the data used for that study was outdated, it is not clear when this vaccine will be approved in USA although there are millions of vaccines being produced there. Then, due to the scarcity of vaccines, the European governments are trying hard to increase the credibility of AstraZeneca because people are not going to their vaccination appointments with this vaccine, but today in Berlin the decision came that this vaccine shall only be given for people older than 60 due to further increases of thrombosis after vaccination. Gosh! This means a slower vaccination process for younger people with all implications that this have.😫

https://www.dw.com/en/berlin-halts-astrazeneca-vaccines-for-under-60s/a-57049301?fbclid=IwAR2swSDDuGHVW5rtuGUV0UNnJlIbWiVfK-YTwhj8hcQYtNtZO37InoTDmVs

Just to put this into an alternate perspective, The EU's own regulator has never wavered in it's unqualified approval for the AZ vaccine to be used for ALL adults .The EU regulator's stance is supported by the WHO and, of course, our own UK independent of government regulator.  Here in the UK, we are generally dismissive of all the scaremongering coming from elsewhere. We have now administered over 30 million vaccine doses, either AZ or Pfizer. Yes, there have been side effects in some (but by no means all), , nearly always disappearing after a couple of days. We have recorded only a truly tiny number of clotting episodes, less than would be expected in an unvaccinated sample of such a huge size !! Of note is a recent briefing by our deputy Chief Medical Officer, who read out the possible but rare side effects and risks associated with paracetamol, from the leaflet contained in each sold packet. Need I say more, other than a balance between risk and reward is vital in these current circumstances. 

Thank goodness, what is happening in some EU governments has not materially affected the minimal vaccine resistance here and our fantastic rollout. We also have a planned cautious return to a degree of normality. Although in it's early stages, all goes well and to plan thus far. We are certainly not counting our chickens yet but it is fair to say that our approach to the AZ vaccine is much preferred to that of our neighbours. Our biggest fear is the importation of new variants from overseas and the resistance of our vaccinated citizens. This is why we are already planning for the possibility of booster jabs towards the end of the year.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Just to put this into an alternate perspective, The EU's own regulator has never wavered in it's unqualified approval for the AZ vaccine to be used for ALL adults .The EU regulator's stance is supported by the WHO and, of course, our own UK independent of government regulator.  Here in the UK, we are generally dismissive of all the scaremongering coming from elsewhere. We have now administered over 30 million vaccine doses, either AZ or Pfizer. Yes, there have been side effects in some (but by no means all), , nearly always disappearing after a couple of days. We have recorded only a truly tiny number of clotting episodes, less than would be expected in an unvaccinated sample of such a huge size !! Of note is a recent briefing by our deputy Chief Medical Officer, who read out the possible but rare side effects and risks associated with paracetamol, from the leaflet contained in each sold packet. Need I say more, other than a balance between risk and reward is vital in these current circumstances. 

Thank goodness, what is happening in some EU governments has not materially affected the minimal vaccine resistance here and our fantastic rollout. We also have a planned cautious return to a degree of normality. Although in it's early stages, all goes well and to plan thus far. We are certainly not counting our chickens yet but it is fair to say that our approach to the AZ vaccine is much preferred to that of our neighbours. Our biggest fear is the importation of new variants from overseas and the resistance of our vaccinated citizens. This is why we are already planning for the possibility of booster jabs towards the end of the year.

I am so glad that things are going so well in the Uk. Do you have any information on studies done in UK about the side effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine? (By the way apparently it is changing its name.) Unfortunately we do not get reports of those results from the UK even though almost 40 % have already been vaccinated there. It would be good to have access to that in order to get a better idea. I am surprised that so many negative news come about this vaccine and no one has a better argument than to compare its side effects to those of paracetamol or to say that the risk of dying of COVID is much larger. Today on German TV a doctor trying to regain the confidence of the population on AstraZeneca said that driving a car is more dangerous! What a ridiculous argument. In any case in Germany it will only be used now for the time being for people older than 60. 

On a very positive note Pfizer/Biontech have just published results of a study indicating that this vaccine is safe for young people (teenagers). They will submit it for approval for that age also. Another study indicates that vaccinated with this vaccine can no longer pass Covid to others. Great news!

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
Posted (edited)

My understanding, based on the report from the European Medicines Agency that came out on March 18. is that the incidence of blood clots among those who received the AstraZeneca vaccine was actually lower than that among those who did not receive it.  I can't comment on the meaning of the more recent incidences of blood clots in Berlin, though.

Edited by Psoque
20 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I am so glad that things are going so well in the Uk. Do you have any information on studies done in UK about the side effects of the AstraZeneca vaccine? (By the way apparently it is changing its name.) Unfortunately we do not get reports of those results from the UK even though almost 40 % have already been vaccinated there. It would be good to have access to that in order to get a better idea. I am surprised that so many negative news come about this vaccine and no one has a better argument than to compare its side effects to those of paracetamol or to say that the risk of dying of COVID is much larger. Today on German TV a doctor trying to regain the confidence of the population on AstraZeneca said that driving a car is more dangerous! What a ridiculous argument. In any case in Germany it will only be used now for the time being for people older than 60. 

On a very positive note Pfizer/Biontech have just published results of a study indicating that this vaccine is safe for young people (teenagers). They will submit it for approval for that age also. Another study indicates that vaccinated with this vaccine can no longer pass Covid to others. Great news!

Ivi

To be honest, I am unaware of any change of name. Could you possibly explain further, please. 

Actually, nearly 60% of our adults have now received at least one dose and the target number for mid-April will undoubtedly be met earlier. We expect a slowdown in supplies in April but the good news is that we will be able to control the whole manufacture process of our supplies of the Novavax vaccine here in the UK and approval is anticipated around June. This will provide us with the security of not being further ''held to ransom''.

Psoque's comments above are exactly in line with the comments of the MHRA, our independent regulator. Moreover, even Germany accepts that no causal link has been established between their clotting cases and the vaccine. Generally, the UK public/media regard the stance taken in certain European countries and elsewhere as rather silly and unwarranted, ignoring the risks of being unvaccinated against Covid versus the remote risks in receiving the AZ vaccine ( a no brainer!).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kool kruiser said:

To be honest, I am unaware of any change of name. Could you possibly explain further, please. 

Actually, nearly 60% of our adults have now received at least one dose and the target number for mid-April will undoubtedly be met earlier. We expect a slowdown in supplies in April but the good news is that we will be able to control the whole manufacture process of our supplies of the Novavax vaccine here in the UK and approval is anticipated around June. This will provide us with the security of not being further ''held to ransom''.

Psoque's comments above are exactly in line with the comments of the MHRA, our independent regulator. Moreover, even Germany accepts that no causal link has been established between their clotting cases and the vaccine. Generally, the UK public/media regard the stance taken in certain European countries and elsewhere as rather silly and unwarranted, ignoring the risks of being unvaccinated against Covid versus the remote risks in receiving the AZ vaccine ( a no brainer!).

Here is one article that mentions the new name:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/03/30/astrazeneca-vaccine-changes-its-name-vaxzevria/

Here is one article on the information circulating in Germany on AstraZeneca:

https://www.dw.com/en/what-you-need-to-know-about-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine/a-56537177

Edited by travelberlin

For those of you interested in Symphony itineraries, in the recently released unaudited financials. Genting made a couple of statements of interest.  They prognosticate on page 22 that based on announcements coming in April 2021, by August more than 80% of their fleet capacity (which I presume includes total berths in Dream, Star and Crystal) will be operational.  They have a lot of idle capacity at this point including Superstar Acquarius and Gemini (1,529 berths each), Symphony (848 berths) and Genting Dream (3,348 berths).  I guess they can get to 80% of their fleet capacity in August without starting the Symphony but that would put a lot of capacity in the Asia market if they start operating all of the other ships and not Symphony.  So, it seems to me that prospects for them to have plans for Symphony are probably fairly decent.  They also state on page 26 that itineraries for Endeavor and Symphony will be forthcoming also in April 2021 so that will be good and interesting news.

In view of the recent cancellations that is a bit of a surprise and suggests a new set of itineraries for Symphony which according to the report should come in April so the clock is ticking.  Where and what they will be is at this point is a true mystery.  Stay tuned!

On 4/1/2021 at 2:19 PM, travelberlin said:

Here is one article that mentions the new name:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/03/30/astrazeneca-vaccine-changes-its-name-vaxzevria/

Here is one article on the information circulating in Germany on AstraZeneca:

https://www.dw.com/en/what-you-need-to-know-about-astrazenecas-covid-19-vaccine/a-56537177

Thanks.

As regards the name change, in the UK it is simply known as the AZ vaccine, so this is probably of no interest.

The article regarding the vaccine is, as one would perhaps expect, somewhat misleading. Yes, the vaccine's efficacy is not total but the protection against severe illness and death is very very high and that's what really matters. An official announcement was made today in the UK that there have been the grand total of 30 clotting episodes from 18 million administered doses (0.00016%!) and no causal link has been established. Friends we met today joked that the drive to the vaccination centre probably entails more risk !!  

On 4/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, kool kruiser said:

Thanks.

As regards the name change, in the UK it is simply known as the AZ vaccine, so this is probably of no interest.

The article regarding the vaccine is, as one would perhaps expect, somewhat misleading. Yes, the vaccine's efficacy is not total but the protection against severe illness and death is very very high and that's what really matters. An official announcement was made today in the UK that there have been the grand total of 30 clotting episodes from 18 million administered doses (0.00016%!) and no causal link has been established. Friends we met today joked that the drive to the vaccination centre probably entails more risk !!  

And as further perspective, heard from a respected medic on BBC radio that the risk of clotting from contracting covid is one in six. Makes the stance taken by certain countries (again!!) seem foolish in the extreme. As so many experts here in the UK have said, one always has to weigh up risk and reward, when evaluating medical treatments etc. No real decision currently needed so far as the AZ vaccine is concerned...