Skagway White Pass Train Excursion - 2.75 hour or 3.5 hour?

Posted (edited)
Hi,
We just booked an Alaska cruise. Very excited!

We have been looking at the White Pass train excursion out of Skagway. There are 2 options. One is 2.75 hours and is the train only. The other is 3.5 hours and also includes a bus as well, stopping at a few more places. It’s also $40 more per person.

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Thanks for your help!
Edited by mcert
  • mcert changed the title to Skagway White Pass Train Excursion - 2.75 hour or 3.5 hour?

We did the bus up train down and booked privately with Chillkoot....you might want to check this very popular company out.

23 hours ago, mcert said:

My question is whether or not the 3.5 hour tour is worth the additional time and money.

Welcome to Cruise Critici, mcert!

When I did a tour that involved the White Pass Railway, my tour went all the way to Carcross in Canada.  Bus their and the train back to Skagway.  I don't recall the length of time of the tour, but I am sure it was longer than 3.5 hours.  I saw more than the shorter tours and I would recommend that tour if such is available.

I assume your cruise will be in 2022.  Canada, hopefully, will be open by then, so getting into and out of Canada ought not to be a problem.  

I'm not sure what your comfort level is but another suggestion is to rent a car and drive. The train parallels the road most of the way so you'll see most of the same things. We rented a car for our party of four and saved A LOT of money over the cost of the excursion. There are many scenic spots along the road to pull over in the car for pictures. And... you can stop when you want for as long as you want. You don't have that option on the train/bus. There's only one road from Skagway to Carcross so you can't get lost. We drove to Emerald Lake and then stopped in Carcross for lunch. We were gone a total of about 6 hours.

I like the combo with the bus trip first.  Enjoy the scenic views you get from the train as you near Skagway on the return trip.  It’s worth the extra $40.

1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

I like the combo with the bus trip first.  Enjoy the scenic views you get from the train as you near Skagway on the return trip.  It’s worth the extra $40.

I agree.  That tour was a very good tour.  My tour also visited Emerald Lake as well as having lunch at Carcross.  I found the small museum there to be quite interesting, particularly related to the RCMP.  Whatever the tour cost, it was money well spent.  I did the tour sailing Northbound on the Westerdam.   Also booked the tour on my Southbound cruise on Coral Princess, but cancelled it before we got to Skagway, thinking, I'll do it the "next trip".  Sorry that I did that now!  When's that "next trip" going to be?  

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When's that "next trip" going to be?  

When we planned our 2 week land/cruise vacation in Alaska a few years ago, we planned for a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip. We saw so much and enjoyed everything we saw. However, we didn't get to see nearly enough. There is so much to see and do in Alaska that 2 weeks was not nearly enough time. We realized that our once-in-a-lifetime trip was actually our FIRST in a lifetime. We are currently making plans to go back next year to spend 2 - 3 weeks seeing many of the things we missed out on on our first trip.

5 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

However, we didn't get to see nearly enough. There is so much to see and do in Alaska that 2 weeks was not nearly enough time. 

Each time I have gone to Alaska, even during the Winter, my Nephew finds something "new" for me to experience.  During my last trip, a visit to a fish hatchery in Anchorage was on the list.  Never saw such an opportunity to visit something like that in any guide book.  

Have fun planning your trip and I have no doubt that you will enjoy when you are able to do it.