Jump to content

CDC Ruining Cruising in the US


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

Really?  Can you possibly paint with a bigger brush?

 

One might as well say:

  • Every police officer is trigger happy.
  • Every CEO is corrupt.
  • Every lawyer is a crook.
  • Every priest is a child molester.
  • Every flight attendant is easy.

 

Or as one son says "everyone is a child molester, until proven otherwise".

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm interested to know your position on locking ones doors when going out for the day.  By any chance do you have an alarm system or a ring doorbell?  Do you pull down your shades at night?

Sometimes. No. No. No.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 10:15 AM, cruisemom42 said:

 

Really?  Can you possibly paint with a bigger brush?

 

One might as well say:

  • Every police officer is trigger happy.
  • Every CEO is corrupt.
  • Every lawyer is a crook.
  • Every priest is a child molester.
  • Every flight attendant is easy.

 

Must be a nice reality where you live. I suggest a dose of realpolitik to give you a clearer picture. 

 

The sad truth is, Host Jazzbeau is correct. If you had worked in the "system" you would know it's true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

The sad truth is, Host Jazzbeau is correct. If you had worked in the "system" you would know it's true.

What "system" would that be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

30 years in the NYS government bureaucracy.  What's yours!

I was actually asking @Aloha 1but no problem. My first job out of school was in a lab at CDC. After that I work for a number of very large corporations. So, yeah, I think I understand the "system."

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Must be a nice reality where you live. I suggest a dose of realpolitik to give you a clearer picture. 

 

The sad truth is, Host Jazzbeau is correct. If you had worked in the "system" you would know it's true.

 

How do you know that I have not?

 

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

30 years in the NYS government bureaucracy.  What's yours!

 

I am finally starting to understand why people are reluctant to talk about what they do/did for a living, with these kinds of judgements being made about them...

 

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

 

However, here's a story about my father who is no longer cruising. He worked for more than 30 years as a research scientist in the department of Agronomy, under the federal government. He worked with a team of other scientists, doing, among other things, development of types of grasses that could withstand severe drought (e.g., in Africa) and thus provide forage for cattle so entire populations could have greater food security. The leader of which group received the National Medal of Science from President Ronald Reagan: "For outstanding contributions to the biological sciences that have helped to feed the hungry, protect and beautify the environment, and provide recreation for millions."

 

But hey, just another power-grabbing, fief-extending bureaucrat. :classic_dry:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

I agree that this is a very toxic environment spurred on by veiled political overtones.  I believe that were one to post about the smell of the nice salt air, there are those here who will counter with one political position or another, often misquoting sources.  This is not good for healthy exchanges of ideas and experiences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

 

 

usually people are a lot nicer onboard 

once you meet some bad apples you can recognize them & avoid them  😉

I am sure it is the same  most places

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

This board has had a lot of bullying for a long time.  [BTW the Regent board used to be even worse, but that problem has been solved. 😉]  I'm hopeful that since Oceania has 6 ships [soon to be more] the chances of actually meeting one of the bullies onboard is slim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This board has had a lot of bullying for a long time.  [BTW the Regent board used to be even worse, but that problem has been solved. 😉]  I'm hopeful that since Oceania has 6 ships [soon to be more] the chances of actually meeting one of the bullies onboard is slim.

Over 40+ years of Federal, State and Local Government service that I've put in, I just love the bullies.  They've paid for my ability to retire with several homes and the ability to travel anywhere I want when I want.  The more, the merrier.  Bring them on, usually they end up being nothing but cry babies when really put to the test...  Cancel culture doesn't scare me in the least.

 

When we're back in NY, maybe DW & I can meet up with you, maybe in Scarsdale or Mt. Vernon or Yonkers...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But hey, just another power-grabbing, fief-extending bureaucrat. :classic_dry:

 

Yup. (Ask him if he knew Sam Fujisaka. I don't remember who he worked for but I know he worked with 'emerging nations' on food programs.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

 

Please don't give up on Oceania! Friendly, mellow folks. There might be disagreement but I've never known it not to be thoughtful, respectful and usually humorous. Can't say enough about the comfortable social experience.

Very best to you 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

 

Please don't give up on Oceania! Friendly, mellow folks. There might be disagreement but I've never known it not to be thoughtful, respectful and usually humorous. Can't say enough about the comfortable social experience.

Very best to you 🙂

Yes, it never used to be like this. Maybe some Clo.rine disinfectant is in order. 

The onboard experience is most enjoyable and lovely passengers, also. Although, it has been a few years now since my last O cruise. Don't give up on O yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, it never used to be like this. Maybe some Clo.rine disinfectant is in order. 

The onboard experience is most enjoyable and lovely passengers, also. Although, it has been a few years now since my last O cruise. Don't give up on O yet.

We had our first O cruise late '19 and adored it. And have one booked for 9/22 which I hope happens. We liked everything about it and I'm confident that any changes will be fine. Including masks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Maybe some Clo.rine disinfectant is in order.

Meant to comment that you are very, very clever 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

I am not going to talk about myself as I am still an active cruiser (although this toxic Oceania board has made me hesitate to try sailing with Oceania several times now, and I'm not kidding in the least).

Like Petoonya, I hope that you do not give up on the idea of cruising on Oceania. You and I once knew each other well from sister website TripAdvisor as well as CC boards, and I really have enjoyed our Oceania onboard experiences, particularly on the two “O” ships, Marina and Riviera.


The only other cruise line we have sailed is Azamara, where on our most recent Azamara cruise we enjoyed a glorious itinerary-intensive all-Norway cruise (except for embarking and disembarking in always-delightful Amsterdam.) We shared several excellent private excursions with Host Jazzbeau and his lovely wife on that trip.
 

My view of this Oceania board is that it truly has deteriorated since the pandemic began in the USA, with a lot of useless political vitriol as people harp endlessly on topics which require clairvoyant powers. I find that looking at it once every month or so is more than enough.
 

[BTW, we took my bucket-list trip to the archaeological treasures of Egypt and Jordan in December 2019, traveling with a small group from my college alma mater. So fortunate in our timing!]

Link to post
Share on other sites

@cruisemom42 Pardon me.....didn't know you'd already cruised Oceania, and what a joy to cruise with Pam as well! You know well what a warm social environment an O cruise has going for it.

 

Yeah, this board has more sharp retorts than pre-COVID, but still some wonderfully helpful folks who truly care about other's experience. I've been known to react to what I perceive as criticism or harshness of responses. And sometimes wish I could retract some posts five minutes after I've written. Learning to ignore stuff is a path to inner peace or so I've heard. I need to heed that bit of wisdom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

@cruisemom42 Pardon me.....didn't know you'd already cruised Oceania, and what a joy to cruise with Pam as well! You know well what a warm social environment an O cruise has going for it.

 

Yeah, this board has more sharp retorts than pre-COVID, but still some wonderfully helpful folks who truly care about other's experience. I've been known to react to what I perceive as criticism or harshness of responses. And sometimes wish I could retract some posts five minutes after I've written. Learning to ignore stuff is a path to inner peace or so I've heard. I need to heed that bit of wisdom.

 

A13usaonutL._CLa%7C2140%2C2000%7C51fm6dwkNhL.png%7C0%2C0%2C2140%2C2000%2B0.0%2C0.0%2C2140.0%2C2000.0_AC_SX679._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CintiPam said:

My view of this Oceania board is that it truly has deteriorated since the pandemic began in the USA, with a lot of useless political vitriol as people harp endlessly on topics which require clairvoyant powers.

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I agree that this is a very toxic environment spurred on by veiled political overtones.  I believe that were one to post about the smell of the nice salt air, there are those here who will counter with one political position or another, often misquoting sources.  This is not good for healthy exchanges of ideas and experiences.

I was really anxious to try Oceania and actually had one booked, that was eventually canceled.  I have not rebooked and I do not think that I will.  The negativity and mean -spirited comments on this board are overwhelming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, santos949 said:

I was really anxious to try Oceania and actually had one booked, that was eventually canceled.  I have not rebooked and I do not think that I will.  The negativity and mean -spirited comments on this board are overwhelming.

I find what is happening on this board as far as the tone of comments, no different then what is on a great many social platforms, and unfortunately in some day to day interactions.  It seems we have lost our filters and the ability to accept different opinions.  

In all our years cruising with Oceania, we have never encountered this type of situation on any of our cruises.  We love Oceania for the itineraries, their beautiful ships, the crews that go above and beyond, the food and the interesting people we have met along the way.

You alone know what is best for you.  I wish you well in making your decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, clo said:

Just saw that COVID is surging in Michigan. I wonder how that will effect CDC.

The Governor brought it on by her actions. Top 5 for Executive Orders, still restricting everything and now she had the gall to say the reason for the surge was because not enough Michiganians had antibodies . Well, duh. lock everyone up and all you do is delay the inevitable. The surge, BTW, is in the younger demographic of 18-40, none of which have been eligible for the vaccine until now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...