RC chat app for symphony of the seas

Hello, I'll be making a family trip on board adn would like to know if they have a FREE chat app where we don't have to buy zoom?   

Last time I bough zoom and had a horrible experience with connectivity. Plus you needed to purchase it for each users so it was very expensive. 

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2021 at 12:28 AM, Misslinder said:

Hello, I'll be making a family trip on board adn would like to know if they have a FREE chat app where we don't have to buy zoom?   

Last time I bough zoom and had a horrible experience with connectivity.

Plus you needed to purchase it for each users so it was very expensive. 

It is unknown if the chat feature in the RCI app will have any cost associated once sailings resume.

You need to keep sea based internet performance expectations real low.

If you can share, you don't need to buy for everyone.

Edited by Biker19

Unless Royal decides to allow chat for free, on the ship you intend to sail on AND you want to chat in real time, you're going to need to purchase the internet package for everyone you want to be involved in the chat.

The problem with sharing the package while using chat is that when I sign in, you will be signed out.  That means no chat until you sign in and that will sign me out.  Kind of a pain, yes.

If it were me, I would wait until closer to the time you sail to decide what I am going to do and see how things are working for the cruises before you.  Post-Covid, there are a lot of things up in the air.

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago Allure had a chat app that was free.  It has been a while back but I am pretty sure we communicated that way with the kids. 

According to RCCL rep I chatted with earlier the app is "SUPPOSED" to be able to use a free WIFI connection while onboard and you will be able to chat with family and friends while onboard. Personally I don't want to be carrying my phone around the ship all day. If I want to swim I don't want to leave it on a chair/deck. 

Just now, Subman738 said:

According to RCCL rep I chatted with earlier the app is "SUPPOSED" to be able to use a free WIFI connection while onboard and you will be able to chat with family and friends while onboard.

The functionality is not in question, but the cost may be.

Just now, Biker19 said:

The functionality is not in question, but the cost may be.

My understanding is that the connection to the ships for the APP is free. And the APP itself is free. 

Just now, Subman738 said:

My understanding is that the connection to the ships for the APP is free. And the APP itself is free. 

All of that is true, but there maybe a cost to use the chat functionality within the app.