Mandatory Service Charges for Caribbean Cruise

Heartgrove

I have been planning a short MSC Caribbean cruise for February 2022 in addition to a week-long HAL cruise that I have booked. The idea was to give MSC a try before booking a YC Experience 9-day in October 2022 with an interesting itinerary in the Mediterranean, also in conjunction with a HAL 12-day Mediterranean cruise. I have been status matched.

The February ship would be the MSC Meraviglia with a choice of a  3-day immediately before the HAL cruise or 4-day immediately after the HAL cruise. I plan on just balconies and the Fantastica Experience. Just today I noticed that there is a Mandatory Service Charge applied on the 3 and 4 day cruises but not the later 9-day cruise. Is this charge something new?

The daily service charge (gratuities)  is  added to your onboard account. It is a mandatory charge.

In FAQ- under Services charges,  it does give info on this .

lists amount per passenger / region/ dates for increases.

what I see on the website for 3-4 day cruises is the option to prepay at time of booking or option to pay onboard.
But, yes, the word mandatory is used and MSC did make them mandatory in March 31,2019.

Summer 2021 to winter 2022. - Caribbean cruises

$14.00pp.  
Was $12.50 until summer 2021

Edited by phissy

48 minutes ago, phissy said:

The daily service charge (gratuities)  is  added to your onboard account. It is a mandatory charge.

In FAQ- under Services charges,  it does give info on this .

Thank you for the explanation. Seems only reasonable so the whole crew is compensated but does say it can be removed in the FAQ? I personally would keep it, plus I do tip select individual crew members.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Just today I noticed that there is a Mandatory Service Charge applied on the 3 and 4 day cruises but not the later 9-day cruise. Is this charge something new?

As someone said not new, and mandatory.  Just one more reason to avoid MSC. Tipping (exactly what this so called "service charge" is) should never be mandatory.  We certainly believe in tipping for good service, but we refuse to be forced to tip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you for the explanation. Seems only reasonable so the whole crew is compensated but does say it can be removed in the FAQ? I personally would keep it, plus I do tip select individual crew members.

The DSC is mandatory and is therefore shared with all of the crew, rather than just tipping the few customer facing crew guests interact with. Like you we've always been happy with this approach. The information states you shouldn't tip any additional to individuals but we always have to anyone we felt deserved it for their individual attention. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

“Should you wish to remove any of the Hotel Service Charge...you may do so by contacting Guest Relations Manager while onboard”.

MSC USA 

found at bottom of site under Travel Info then click on FAQ/ open Service charges.

6A57A78F-0A64-4B99-A4EF-6E313737D705.jpeg

Edited by phissy