1 hour ago, jtwind said:

What exactly is the governor of Florida trying to accomplish?  Does he realize that he won't be able get cruise ships back in Florida if he says that they can't require vaccinations?  I don't get it.

Three things are of utmost importance to politicians:

1. Donations.  In this case, watch how much money flows into DeSantis' campaign from the cruise lines, their PACS, individual donations from executives, etc.
  2. Energize their base.  In this case, DeSantis' base responds to grandstanding against the Feds especially now that there is a Democratic president. 
  3. Deflect attention from past, current and even future mistakes.
Just now, capriccio said:

Three things are of utmost importance to politicians:

1. Donations.  In this case, watch how much money flows into DeSantis' campaign from the cruise lines, their PACS, individual donations from executives, etc.
  2. Energize their base.  In this case, DeSantis' base responds to grandstanding against the Feds especially now that there is a Democratic president. 
  3. Deflect attention from past, current and even future mistakes.

PERFECT!

44 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Donations.  In this case, watch how much money flows into DeSantis' campaign from the cruise lines, their PACS, individual donations from executives, et

Just how many cruise line related donations are going to flow his way when he is adamant about not permitting businesses in Florida from requiring proof of COVID vaccination at the same time proof of vaccination is a key element of some cruise lines' restart plans?

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Just how many cruise line related donations are going to flow his way when he is adamant about not permitting businesses in Florida from requiring proof of COVID vaccination at the same time proof of vaccination is a key element of some cruise lines' restart plans?

I don't disagree with you but that doesn't mean he is thinking that way!

Just now, capriccio said:

I don't disagree with you but that doesn't mean he is thinking that way!

He seems to not think terribly well.

He seems to have not thought this through very well.  Maybe the people who are working for him are giving him bad info, and he doesn't know that it is the cruise lines pushing vaccine requirements.

29 minutes ago, jtwind said:

He seems to have not thought this through very well.  Maybe the people who are working for him are giving him bad info, and he doesn't know that it is the cruise lines pushing vaccine requirements.

Are vaccine requirements part of his law suit?  That aside,  I think he wins no matter what.  Cruises start happening with CDC blessing and he is on record as forcing them back, even if reopening had nothing to do with the law suit.   Cruises don't happen and he is on record as trying to force them back -- fighting for the little guys against the big mean CDC.     

On 4/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, Ashland said:

Not since Oct 2019 on a port excursion made during our Snowbird itinerary...but I have to say it was just amazing. Will do it again pre-cruise April 2022 with the extended family....the grandkids are excited about this KSC tour.

It does sound like something kids would be thrilled to do.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:53 PM, ldubs said:

I think he wins no matter what.  Cruises start happening with CDC blessing and he is on record as forcing them back, even if reopening had nothing to do with the law suit.   Cruises don't happen and he is on record as trying to force them back -- fighting for the little guys against the big mean CDC.     

I think this is probably correct.  Desantis is playing politics, and realizes he likely wins either way.  There is one scenario where he loses, however.  If mandatory vaccine cruises start elsewhere in the US (think California), but are not permitted in Florida, Desantis will not look particularly good.  But legal experts think DeSantis' executive order is not enforceable against cruise lines even in Florida, so it is not likely that Florida will lag the rest of the US in reinitiation of cruising.

3 hours ago, Calnev1 said:

I think this is probably correct.  Desantis is playing politics, and realizes he likely wins either way.  There is one scenario where he loses, however.  If mandatory vaccine cruises start elsewhere in the US (think California), but are not permitted in Florida, Desantis will not look particularly good.  But legal experts think DeSantis' executive order is not enforceable against cruise lines even in Florida, so it is not likely that Florida will lag the rest of the US in reinitiation of cruising.

Good point about mandatory vaccines cruises starting elsewhere.   And now I guess, with the recent  news about effectiveness,  a new question is will China's vaccines be considered acceptable.  That could turn into a nasty issue for crew vaccines.