Round the world on American President Line

Okay, it isn't Holland America, but while cleaning out some old storage boxes I discovered a brochure for the next round-the-world sailing of the SS President

Roosevelt beginning October 24, 1968 with four complete 90-day itineraries to choose from. 

Sounds like some fabulous ports but the pricing is out of my range.  Prices start at $2,600 per person for an inside cabin and range up to a ridiculous $7,420 for a Lanai cabin.

At least they are limiting the passenger list to 275 for "maximum service, maximum comfort".  (And probably to ensure proper social distancing as well.)

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

6 hours ago, WisRiver said:

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.

6 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.

Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.

27 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.-

The national average teacher salary for public school teachers was almost $62,000 for the 2018-2019 school year. I never made that as a teacher in a private school, and I know many teachers that don't make that much, but even at $30,000 a teacher's salary would cover a balcony on a number of world cruises that range from 90-111 days. Teacher salaries have risen faster than cruise costs.

Here is a photo my late father took of President Roosevelt getting ready to sail from Pt. Everglades on one of these World Cruises.

The Australis ex-America is in the background also calling on a RTW itinerary.

We were visiting the old Queen Elizabeth that was briefly a tourist attraction there.

The start of my interest in ocean liners and cruising.

9D4A7396-9643-4529-A7A6-24F2C1A201BE.jpeg