Jump to content

Round the world on American President Line


Recommended Posts

Okay, it isn't Holland America, but while cleaning out some old storage boxes I discovered a brochure for the next round-the-world sailing of the SS President

Roosevelt beginning October 24, 1968 with four complete 90-day itineraries to choose from. 

Sounds like some fabulous ports but the pricing is out of my range.  Prices start at $2,600 per person for an inside cabin and range up to a ridiculous $7,420 for a Lanai cabin.

At least they are limiting the passenger list to 275 for "maximum service, maximum comfort".  (And probably to ensure proper social distancing as well.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, WisRiver said:

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.


Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.-

The national average teacher salary for public school teachers was almost $62,000 for the 2018-2019 school year. I never made that as a teacher in a private school, and I know many teachers that don't make that much, but even at $30,000 a teacher's salary would cover a balcony on a number of world cruises that range from 90-111 days. Teacher salaries have risen faster than cruise costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a photo my late father took of President Roosevelt getting ready to sail from Pt. Everglades on one of these World Cruises.

The Australis ex-America is in the background also calling on a RTW itinerary.

We were visiting the old Queen Elizabeth that was briefly a tourist attraction there.

The start of my interest in ocean liners and cruising.

 

 

 

9D4A7396-9643-4529-A7A6-24F2C1A201BE.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...