Crystal Cruises Clientele Not Rich Enough For Harbour Island & Exumas?

Posted (edited)

I was surprised to read this story suggesting that a couple of the ports slated for our summer cruise itinerary don't want to welcome Crystal Cruises because they prefer "high-end" clientele. Personally, because of the mask requirements and other flaming hoops we will have to jump through in order to visit the Bahamas, I wasn't planning to get off the ship to begin with. After reading this I don't think I will leave the ship at all, I find it insulting. I would understand if their issue was that they don't normally accommodate 900 tourists at one time, but this seems to be more focused on the wealth of those tourists coupled with profound ignorance of the Crystal clientele.

https://ewnews.com/not-all-on-board-exuma-harbour-island-concerned-with-mass-cruise-tourism-plans

Edited by So_Tweetie

I know there was an article on this a couple of weeks ago.  Believe it was Long Island.

A couple of things.

They don't know Crystal but they are just concerned about being flooded with Cruise Passengers.

I know one of the Islands (think Long Island) is where many of the "rich and famous and maybe rich and not so famous" have homes.

They are just not used to this and I suspect if we lived there we might be resistant too. Even take some ports in the USA whose residents are not thrilled with Cruise Ships such as Charleston who preferred not to have any cruise line use it as their home port as Carnival has.

Hopefully Crystal guests can show them that their concerns were overblown.

Keith

Although I could be wrong, I have the feeling (at least from the CC folks) that a lot of passengers won't even get off the ship. I understand where some of these pristine little islets are coming from, but I'm promising them that I won't pee in their bushes or barf on their sidewalks. I'd like to think they're thinking that Crystal is like some of the other huge main stream behemoths that trample their Eden and the environment. We really want to get to Excuma. We had our honeymoon there 51 years ago, when everyone said...."where is that and why are you going there?"....giggle!

Great points Keith and Mudhen - I would like to see the ports and finally visit foreign destinations for the first time in a couple of years so hope there will not be outward hostility toward visitors when we arrive. We are on the first sailing out of Nassau so I anticipate any issues will rear their heads for us. Thanks for the reassurance! 🤞

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Although I could be wrong, I have the feeling (at least from the CC folks) that a lot of passengers won't even get off the ship. I understand where some of these pristine little islets are coming from, but I'm promising them that I won't pee in their bushes or barf on their sidewalks. I'd like to think they're thinking that Crystal is like some of the other huge main stream behemoths that trample their Eden and the environment. We really want to get to Excuma. We had our honeymoon there 51 years ago, when everyone said...."where is that and why are you going there?"....giggle!

I love it.  Very special to return to where you had your honeymoon. 

I continue to believe there are some positives to covid and this is one. 

Keith

We’re scheduled for the August 7 cruise and it was my understanding....from a Crystal rep last week that they’ll be sailing at 50% or lower capacity, not the full 900.

has anyone else heard or been told this?  If they’re sailing at capacity I may be rethinking paying the deposit.  

thanks for any inout you can share

OK, we are new to Crystal but didn't realize that we are gonna be boarding the seediest dive on the wharf when we booked our cruise.

What kinda reputation do y'all have where an island that is literally infested with feral pigs wouldn't welcome you lot?

😄 😄

I have stayed on Harbour Island and love it.  I can understand their apprehensions.  I intend to get off the ship and be a good ambassador for the typical Crystal client.  FYI, my stay on the island was more than my Crystal cruise.

2 hours ago, pnsnkr said:

OK, we are new to Crystal but didn't realize that we are gonna be boarding the seediest dive on the wharf when we booked our cruise.

What kinda reputation do y'all have where an island that is literally infested with feral pigs wouldn't welcome you lot?

😄 😄

Here is a youtube video - a recent interview with Crystal's interim CEO.  I believe he talks about capacity for this summer's cruises.  I believe he says 900 rather than full capacity of 980.  I haven't seen a transcript, so can't point you to the appropriate time stamp where this is discussed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJVuDTSHog

The full capacity will be 900, and the other 80 berths are the 40 staterooms they are reserving for anyone needing to be quarantined onboard. Those 40 staterooms will have air exhausting to the exterior and not to rest of the ship.

2 hours ago, bitob said:

Live your life and don't worry about what other people think.

Waste of energy.

I choose not to give my hard-earned money to people that look down on me as less-than. If they don't want me in port I will happily stay on the ship and took their commentary as offensive. I am happy to see some other perspectives here but it is absolutely not a waste of energy to pay attention to where you spend money.

Please do not judge an entire Island because the tourism board has some concerns with cruise ships the size of Crystal visiting them.  I suspect when all is said and done they will be "on-board" with the visits and each time Serenity visits all will be good.

Most ports around the world have some people including tourism boards who might have concerns and overtime this gets worked out and in a few cases they limit the number of ships or the day(s) of arrival.

I am reminded that when the Northwest Passage adventure was announced eventually there was some press reports that their would be demonstrations in one or more ports upon our arrival.

Crystal worked with the locals and let me tell you there were no demonstrations and we were welcomed into each place we visited.  I suspect some people were not happy we were there but they likely stay home and the majority of people were on hand to welcome us.

And please remember that a little issue can be exaggerated and blown up because people would rather read articles about controversy than the status quo.

So in the end, I am sure Crystal and its guests will feel welcome and all will have a good time. 

Keith

As mentioned capacity will be limited to a maximum of 900 guests but you will likely see less.  Why?  Guests traveling solo and 900 is based on double occupancy and the reality is not every cruise will sell out.

Keith

As a permanent resident of the Bahamas and a regular luxury cruiser I would like to assure everyone that while “fears” are understandable on both sides, they are simply due to not understanding each side.

On the host side it’s understandable because most have never experienced luxury cruise line passengers compared to the mass market tourists which have visited Nassau regularly.  In normal times, you could have thousands of cruise passengers descend on Nassau when multiple ships are in port, and let’s just say one would get a huge variety of dress code and mixes of behavior and manners.  If you had a nice home on Harbour island and suddenly had unexpected visitors swarming around your neighborhood, that might raise concern. 

A few years ago we visited Niue in the South Pacific on a religious holiday, and were almost banned but Crystal assured the locals we would follow the rules and only swim at a designated beach and be respectful of the church services dress code etc.  We had a wonderful visit and I would love to return.  I think if both sides can simply behave like polite people visiting neighbor’s homes this will all workout.

The logistics are Crystal’s challenge and if I were in shoreEx planning I’d be loading barges with air conditioned vans/tents and equipment to make sure there is enough capacity to handle the visitors without counting solely on locals.  The Bahamian government should recruit seasoned professionals and contract them for the cruise season to station themselves at each of these ports and be ready to host the visitors. 

if Crystal or the Bahamas just takes the attitude that it’ll all work out, then it will be a huge missed opportunity for both sides.  I hope that the Bahamas steps up to the plate and shows the world what a great place this is.  I hope Crystal pulls all of its best talent (read all-star cast) to make this Crystal experience one to blow away even the most frequent cruisers.

22 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

I was surprised to read this story suggesting that a couple of the ports slated for our summer cruise itinerary don't want to welcome Crystal Cruises because they prefer "high-end" clientele. Personally, because of the mask requirements and other flaming hoops we will have to jump through in order to visit the Bahamas, I wasn't planning to get off the ship to begin with. After reading this I don't think I will leave the ship at all, I find it insulting. I would understand if their issue was that they don't normally accommodate 900 tourists at one time, but this seems to be more focused on the wealth of those tourists coupled with profound ignorance of the Crystal clientele.

https://ewnews.com/not-all-on-board-exuma-harbour-island-concerned-with-mass-cruise-tourism-plans

You will love crystal. Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Timbuktu123 said:

As a permanent resident of the Bahamas and a regular luxury cruiser I would like to assure everyone that while “fears” are understandable on both sides, they are simply due to not understanding each side.

On the host side it’s understandable because most have never experienced luxury cruise line passengers compared to the mass market tourists which have visited Nassau regularly.  In normal times, you could have thousands of cruise passengers descend on Nassau when multiple ships are in port, and let’s just say one would get a huge variety of dress code and mixes of behavior and manners.  If you had a nice home on Harbour island and suddenly had unexpected visitors swarming around your neighborhood, that might raise concern. 

A few years ago we visited Niue in the South Pacific on a religious holiday, and were almost banned but Crystal assured the locals we would follow the rules and only swim at a designated beach and be respectful of the church services dress code etc.  We had a wonderful visit and I would love to return.  I think if both sides can simply behave like polite people visiting neighbor’s homes this will all workout.

The logistics are Crystal’s challenge and if I were in shoreEx planning I’d be loading barges with air conditioned vans/tents and equipment to make sure there is enough capacity to handle the visitors without counting solely on locals.  The Bahamian government should recruit seasoned professionals and contract them for the cruise season to station themselves at each of these ports and be ready to host the visitors. 

if Crystal or the Bahamas just takes the attitude that it’ll all work out, then it will be a huge missed opportunity for both sides.  I hope that the Bahamas steps up to the plate and shows the world what a great place this is.  I hope Crystal pulls all of its best talent (read all-star cast) to make this Crystal experience one to blow away even the most frequent cruisers.

Thank you, very well said! I appreciate the perspective and agree with your point that both parties need to put a little effort in to make the experience what we're all looking forward to. 

16 hours ago, So_Tweetie said:

I choose not to give my hard-earned money to people that look down on me as less-than. If they don't want me in port I will happily stay on the ship and took their commentary as offensive. I am happy to see some other perspectives here but it is absolutely not a waste of energy to pay attention to where you spend money.

There is an old saying that I have always found helpful:  People are neither for or against you; they are for themselves.  This promotes empathy.  The Bahamian residents are expressing concerns about the quality of their lives rather than rating Crystal passengers.

There was an announcement in the last few days that a Megaship is sailing the Bahamas. I think it was either Celebrity or RCCL.

I remember sailing in Alaska while we were waiting to enter the College Fjords. On Radisson with 700 pax on a new ship.  Some one yelled out "Look Wildlife!".  Everyone ran to see what was there.  It was a Carnival Ship.  It was funny at the time.  That's probably the same thing the residents are feeling and they are lumping all cruise passengers in one boat.

17 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

As mentioned capacity will be limited to a maximum of 900 guests but you will likely see less.  Why?  Guests traveling solo and 900 is based on double occupancy and the reality is not every cruise will sell out.

Keith

I’m just a little disappointed having been told by Crystal that they would only be booking at 50% or less.  Maybe it’s time to cancel?

ChatKat - yes Royal Caribbean is sailing out of Nassau on Saturdays starting June 12, 2021.  They are using Adventure of the Seas - about twice the size of Serenity.  AOTS will overnight at Coco Cay, with stops in Cozumel and Grand Bahama (Freeport).  Those ports are accustomed to calls made by even larger ships such as Oasis of the Seas.

4 hours ago, suspaul said:

I’m just a little disappointed having been told by Crystal that they would only be booking at 50% or less.  Maybe it’s time to cancel?

I believe you but don't know who told you this.  When they announced the sailing at the announcement I remember the capacity being mentioned.  50% sounds great but my guess is they would lose money on every sailing.

I would recommend reading the entire list of protocols to see whether or not you feel the approach will work for you.  Best of luck with the decision you make.

https://www.crystalcruises.com/crystal-clean

Keith

8 hours ago, HUNKY said:

ChatKat - yes Royal Caribbean is sailing out of Nassau on Saturdays starting June 12, 2021.  They are using Adventure of the Seas - about twice the size of Serenity.  AOTS will overnight at Coco Cay, with stops in Cozumel and Grand Bahama (Freeport).  Those ports are accustomed to calls made by even larger ships such as Oasis of the Seas.

A larger ship indeed. But will it sail at full capacity? If it sails with 900 passengers than the number of guests will be about the same than at Crystal.

I think the point the residents are making is not if people are rich enough or not, but they are afraid of large numbers of passengers coming to their islands. Now 900 is quite a large number...just saying.

Ivi

13 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

That's probably the same thing the residents are feeling and they are lumping all cruise passengers in one boat.

This is so true! People who know nothing about cruising or the difference among ships generally judge all passengers by the one or two they meet. I had a friend ask about cruising once and I told her all about Crystal - she and her husband ended up on a megaship as it was so much cheaper. They think I'm crazy to cruise at all and that all cruisers are like the ones on that megaship. You just can't open some people's minds!